Episode 1x03 'A Boy of No Consequence' Discussion Thread

dpebbleson

[1]Oct 11, 2013
    • level: 24

Please post your opinions/comments/discussion topics on episode 1x03 "A Boy of No Consequence" here.

Rules are simple:

- Spoilers are not allowed;

- No bashing of characters or the cast;

- Discussion is encouraged, but arguing is not;

- We shall show no tolerance to trolls and suchlike;

Enjoy!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

illegalferret

[2]Oct 13, 2013
    • level: 25

While it entertained me for the 45 minutes it was on tv last night, I'm beginning to pick apart Atlantis. But positives first, I found it slightly better than lasts weeks, it's set up was different and thank god Atlantis has at least got a solid prison, so no miraculous escapes!!! Personally i think Hercules is the best thing in the show! I find him interesting, funny and entertaining! Medusa is also developing into an interesting character, she seems a lot smarter than all the boys together!! Anyone else think there was a slight Gladiator feel to most of the episode? A group of desporate people bonding together as they fight in front of people for entertainment and their survival, whilst a slightly corrupt mentor looks on.

Problems/negatives: did i miss this but why were Pythagoras and Hercules arrested along side Jason when they didn't do anything but the old man who started the whole problem was not? The Princess's sudden random infactuation with Jason, she's seen him what twice? and is madly in love already, please?! Royals falling for people they shouldn't it's been done before (a lot better!). The CGI was a big let down in the arena so but it was clear that the pit and stands were into different places.

These problems i think i could over look (as I often did with Merlin plot holes) but for 2 main things. 1. Pythagoras, he has no purpose in the show. If you're going to have a main group at the heart of a show, they all need to contribute and have a purpose. Think Harry Potter, Harry was the main man, Ron his loyal friend, there for a laugh but he played his part whilst Hermione was the brains often coming up with plans to help them out. In Merlin, the wizard was the brains, Arthur the brawn, they both played a part. In Atlantis Jason is the hero type, Hercules the comic element and I assume Pythagoras is meant to be the brains, but he hasn't done anything yet, bar utter the odd witty remark, it's Jason who's thinking u[ the plans. Making Pi a massively underused extra who just happens to be in most shots. He needs to come to the fore and fast!

My second a much bigger problem is Jason himself, I just personally haven't warmed to him. That's it, i don't care about him as a character yet. It makes it hard to invest much effort in a show when you're not bothered with the lead! In the case of Merlin, Colin Morgan's wizard was instantly likable, in the case of Arthur it took me a couple of episodes to warm to him, but i had a character in Merlin that was fascinating and interesting to watch that kept me watching until I fell for both leads and was hooked for next 5 years! Jason is just not that good/interesting yet for me.

boom-moo

[3]Oct 14, 2013
    • level: 75
    illegalferret wrote:
    why were Pythagoras and Hercules arrested along side Jason when they didn't do anything but the old man who started the whole problem was not?
    Yeah, I couldn't find any explanation either, they actually try to hold him back after he hits Heptarian.

Anyway, that aside I quite enjoyed the episode. This one caught my interest from beginning to end unlike the previous one, there was a nice mix of action and suspense. The plot has thickened a bit with Heptarian and Ariadne being engaged and Pasiphae (not Ariadne's mother as I suspected) being a major baddie. The king seems pretty blind to what happens in his palace.

In case anyone wonders bull leaping actually exists and is practised often in here but I won't get into detail about how inaccurately it was depicted. Now, I have read all around how bad the CGI was but I found it rather satisfying considering bulls were involved.

Another thing that I enjoyed has been the little continuation details like Jason still sporting the arrow scar from the pilot in his arm. I can't tell I have fully warmed up to him but the character I can't warm up to is Medusa. In all fairness I think it must be because I don't like the actress.
    Edited on 10/14/2013 4:08am

dpebbleson

[4]Oct 14, 2013
    I was beginning to be afraid that I'd be the only one to like this episode I usually like what no one seems to like, and vice versa. But actually this episode was quite gripping for me. For example, the previous episode didn't hold my attention much. This one was simple, yet I was hooked.

Indeed there were some weird things like all three of them getting arrested. But the cooperation between the characters was nice to see, and Jason is obviously someone who promotes unity of a sort. Hercules is a very funny character. I agree that Pythagoras has not been very useful so far. But recently I read a review of this episode with which I agree. He is the most realistic character, or the best drawn. Hercules leans to farce, and, yes, Jason is somewhat pale, while Pythagoras is the most complex so far.

I actually like the Medusa actress. She has nice lips And she seems to be quite resourceful.

I think the difficulty with this show is that they forced pretty much everything into the first episode, and did not leave things to develop as they did in Merlin. In Merlin it was only friendship with Gaius that was instantaneous. However, the friendship with Arthur was too much prolonged, and the reveal issue in the end became absurd. But here they're leaning towards another absurdity, that is, everyone is becoming friends too quickly. It does seem to make the show a mirror-reflection of Merlin, which essentially means it's not an independent show, but dependent on both viewers' memory of Merlin and the producers' experience with Merlin. They are responding both to expectations and experience as regards Merlin, while they should probably craft the show on its own terms, and not worry if there are or are not overlaps with Merlin.

boom-moo

[5]Oct 14, 2013
    dpebbleson wrote:
    I agree that Pythagoras has not been very useful so far. But recently I read a review of this episode with which I agree. He is the most realistic character, or the best drawn. Hercules leans to farce, and, yes, Jason is somewhat pale, while Pythagoras is the most complex so far.
    Yep, neither the comedian nor the hero, just a regular bloke. I like that too I just wonder what he does for a living.

JJuna

[6]Oct 14, 2013
    • level: 11

So far, it hasn't made much impression on me. I agree about Medusa, BM. I can't warm to her either, or indeed to any of the characters. In a way, that is a relief, as we know what TPTB do to their well-loved characters...I still feel that it hasn't broken away from Merlin. The opening scene between Jason and Heptarion brought to mind the Merlin/Arthur confrontation in 1x01. It seems very unoriginal and cliched. In the character of Pasiphae, we have a wicked witch and an evil stepmother. Yay! Two stereotypes in one. Perhaps they have been watching OUT.

Hmm, the bull leaping. I wouldn't know how accurate it is (not that I would expect it to be) but when I heard it was going to feature in this episode, it reminded me of Mary Renault's wonderful book "The King Must Die". Seeing that the original title of this episode was "The Boy Must Die" and that TPTB have already given Jason some of Theseus' mythology, I think they must have researched this book. There is a very big bull leaping section in it. And yes, Sarah, I definitely detected a touch of Gladiator in the mix, as well. Which reminds me, that with reference to Heptarian and Ariadne, I read a comment which made me laugh: "Oh look, Guy of Gisborne is in love with Maid Marion!"

I agree that Pythagorus character is underdeveloped at the moment, but I wonder if there will be at least one episode which revolves around him. Hercules has probably made the most impact so far, although he doesn't really fit the image I have in my mind of this legendary figure. Kevin Sorbo comes much closer. Unfortunately, even Jason himself hasn't really fired my imagination. He seems a bit dull at the moment, and that could be a problem. However, there is plenty of time for the series to improve.

Edited on 10/14/2013 5:21pm

boom-moo

[7]Oct 15, 2013
    JJuna wrote:

Hmm, the bull leaping. I wouldn't know how accurate it is (not that I would expect it to be) but when I heard it was going to feature in this episode, it reminded me of Mary Renault's wonderful book "The King Must Die". Seeing that the original title of this episode was "The Boy Must Die" and that TPTB have already given Jason some of Theseus' mythology, I think they must have researched this book. There is a very big bull leaping section in it.

Thanks for pointing that out! I had noticed about the title change and I was wondering about that.

illegalferret

[8]Oct 16, 2013
    • level: 25

Don't get me wrong it was better than the previous episodes, but it could be so much better!

boom-moo wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    I agree that Pythagoras has not been very useful so far. But recently I read a review of this episode with which I agree. He is the most realistic character, or the best drawn. Hercules leans to farce, and, yes, Jason is somewhat pale, while Pythagoras is the most complex so far.
    Yep, neither the comedian nor the hero, just a regular bloke. I like that too I just wonder what he does for a living.

I hadn't thought of Pythagoras like that, but now you mention it, it seems much more obvious! Yes he is a normal down to earth type, and i like that and i like him much more than Jason but he still needs to actually do something!! Yeah what does he do for a living? maybe he helps Hercules in what he does, and how did they meet?

I will for the time being keep watching for the time being and hoping it continues to improve.

boom-moo

[9]Oct 16, 2013
    It'd be nice for him to be a teacher since he is working on his triangles and stuff already. I too hope for some more character insight&development.

dpebbleson

[10]Oct 17, 2013
    Curiosly enough two hours ago I saw the book by Mary Renault in the bookstore That's a nice bit of information to know, I've heard from other people it's a good read as well.

Indeed, it'd be interesting if Pythagoras was a teacher. He could also be some kind of engineer. We'll see, hopefully they didn't forget to incorporate that element.