Episode 1x04 'Twist of Fate' Discussion Thread

dpebbleson

[1]Oct 18, 2013
    • level: 24

Please post your opinions/comments/discussion topics on episode 1x04 "Twist of Fate" here.

Rules are simple:

- Spoilers are not allowed;

- No bashing of characters or the cast;

- Discussion is encouraged, but arguing is not;

- We shall show no tolerance to trolls and suchlike;

Enjoy!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

illegalferret

[2]Oct 20, 2013
    • level: 25

Maybe I've been a little harsh on Atlantis, having watched this weeks episode I have to admit i was entertained for 45(ish) minutes and what more do i really want from Saturday night tv?!

Finally Pythagoras had more to do, this week all three main guys and Medusa played there part which was good to see. Jason is still to bland more my liking but hey the 4 of them work well together. Sadly my knowledge of Greek mythology is very patchy, so quite what letting the baby live will do in the grand scale of things i've haven't got a clue, his dad didn't seem like i nice bloke so it's hard to care that the son will kill the father! Plus inless this show does massive between season jumps we'll never see the fall out of it all!

It was a bit too dark at the end to see exactly what was going on when Jason was fighting the soliders but that's probably more my tv then anything else! Next week's looks interesting.

dpebbleson

[3]Oct 20, 2013
    • level: 24

My turn to be discontent with an episode. Could be because I was very tired while watching, but this episode was very patchy to me. I can't really figure out why the scenes were connected in the way they were. They found the baby, then they are chased, then Tiresias all of a sudden bestows so much trust on three anonymous men and tells them the secret of the court... It didn't make much sense to me. They've gathered some very important names from Greek mythology into one episode, and sort of expected that that thing alone would do the work. But the way they were related to each other didn't. The court scenes didn't have much significance. Laius was only superficially introduced, Jocasta even more superficially than that. Pasiphae was actually quite good and convincing, and even Ariadne.

As far as King Minos is concerned, I might sound too merciless or impolite, but the character looks ridiculous to me. He should be an ancient king, but he does not give an impression of being either ancient or king. In previous episodes he reminded me of a TV host, and here, in the scene with Laius, he looked to me like an american football quarterback. He gives an air of someone more out-of-joint with his time than Jason who is supposed to have arrived from the modern ages. The actor was far more convincing as a villain in Merlin, where he was truly despicable, that is, successful as actor. And I fail to see his point in the show so far...

That aside, the episode was actually very amusing in the scenes of the four, umm, three men and the baby Indeed, Jason came out as even more sympathetic than before, and Hercules is still heart and soul of the trio.

illegalferret wrote:
    Sadly my knowledge of Greek mythology is very patchy, so quite what letting the baby live will do in the grand scale of things i've haven't got a clue, his dad didn't seem like i nice bloke so it's hard to care that the son will kill the father!

It was as Tiresias said: he kills his father and marries his mother.. Kind of makes Jocasta's 'last kiss' for her baby quite ironic.. And yeah, the child will be used to name the famed 'Oedipus Complex' by Freud

Edited on 10/20/2013 3:41pm

boom-moo

[4]Oct 24, 2013
    • level: 75
    While I agree with DaNko's points I did enjoy this episode. The new characters (particularly the king and queen) were very superficially introduced indeed but I don't think they served any other purpose than being a king and queen (who might as well have been nameless) who were forced to abandon their child because of a prophecy. As Sarah pointed out, unless there's a massive time jump we won't see the prophecy come to pass so it was more of a plotline (albeit one borrowed from mythology) than some important characters and information to be kept in mind for eventual plotlines (seasons?) to come.

I also agree that King Minos doesn't feel regal at all, while Pasiphae and Ariadne do. He seems very out of place to me.

illegalferret wrote:

having watched this weeks episode I have to admit i was entertained for 45(ish) minutes and what more do i really want from Saturday night tv?!

Me too! Not being for episode 2 (which I find the weakest so far) the others have keep me entertained all along And again a tavern was mentioned but not named