Atlantis Forums

BBC (ended 2015)

General Discussion Thread

dpebbleson

[1]Sep 30, 2013
    • level: 24

This is a general discussion thread for all those people who have something to express about the show as a whole, and not about any of its particular episodes or characters.

Rules are follows:

-What is not welcome here? Spoilers
    -What is welcome here? All the rest: there is no specific topic to be discussed as long as it is Atlantis related. Mild off topic is allowed like introducing yourselves, other than that feel free to post anything dealing with the show. Are you a researcher? Share any piece of news, article or picture. Are you creative? Post your icons, wallpapers, manips or links to fanfiction. Are willing to discuss? Post any idea, suggestion, opinion and so on.

Basically, have fun and share it with us

We expect to soon vote on a more imaginative name for this thread, and welcome all suggestion regarding this - and not only this but other stuff related to this entire forum as well.

Edited on 09/30/2013 11:33am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[3]Oct 15, 2013
    • level: 75
    I came across this comparison between Merlin and Atlantis first three episodes.

illegalferret

[4]Oct 16, 2013
    • level: 25

Cheers for posting that Esther I have to say I did agree with most of what was said.

boom-moo

[5]Oct 26, 2013
    Atlantis has been renewed for a second season! Source and Source.

poulters

[6]Nov 17, 2013
    • level: 18

I love this show but can't wait to find the connection between where Jason came from and Atlantis. He just excepted he's there and moved on.

Why does he not want to go back home, find his dad, or why he is there.

dpebbleson

[7]Nov 17, 2013
    Yes, it was indeed too easy for him in a way, and others complained as well about the ease of the transition. I guess we'll have to take it as it is.

His father was from Atlantis. He could have been a noble, or a king, but surely someone who knew King Minos. Maybe they were the ones responsible for his exile to 'our world'.

I too wonder why he doesn't want to go home. Or perhaps he does, but having in mind that he did come through a portal in the depths of the ocean, I guess that his reasoning is that it would be very hard to find the same passage again.

Why is he there? Well, it must be some sort of prophesy

boom-moo

[8]Nov 17, 2013
    My guess is that he won't even consider coming back to "our world" until he's found out what happened to his father, at least the whole bit of his father's story belonging in Atlantis. Confused as he might have been when he landed in Atlantis through the portal (granted it should have been dealt with better) he's come across clues and people who link his father to that place.

And I'm speaking out of memory here but from what I recall from the opening episode, Jason seemed to be determined to find out about his father at any price and that such search had become his goal in life so maybe there isn't much he longs to come back to.

JJuna

[9]Nov 18, 2013
    • level: 11

The problem is though that he doesn't seem to miss, or even refer to,anything about the modern world. If it wasn't for the first episode, it wouldn't be obvious that he comes from our time. While it wouldn't be good television to have him constantly moping, a little bit of introspection as he is missing family and friends would be realistic. Then you would expect Hercules and Pythagoras to show some curiosity about Jason's background and to question him accordingly. At the moment, it's not obvious why TPTB chose this plotline as they haven't done anything with it. I am hoping for some detail and explanation of Jason's story in the modern world.

boom-moo

[10]Nov 18, 2013
    True, showing some longing and concern about his family and friends would be nice indeed. I think he has referred once or twice about some modern commodity that he missed but since he wasn't understood, I guess he has given up on mentioning anything from the modern world since none around him can grasp his reality. All the same it wouldn't hurt including a line here and there about Jason's origins and how he feels about them. For someone who hasn't watched the pilot there would be no way to know that he doesn't belong in Atlantis.

KateSullivan

[11]Jan 10, 2014
    • level: 4

This has been my issue for awhile, but honestly, it didn't start to really bother me until the episode with the baby. Just a random reference when changing the baby to disposable diapers would have seemed appropriate. Thinking about it, it was probably because there had been a random reference to his old world in the middle (when they first met Medusa, he mentioned a story he knew about a Medusa to the Oracle from his world). But, yeah, his whole life's purpose (or at least what was established in the pilot) was to find his father and now no reference to him at all.

And then there is the sheer total lack of curiousity from the boys. I mean, I might accept if they were both treating him like a guy who had lost his memory (and I might totally accept that as an excuse why neither Hercules nor Pythagoras have asked him any more questions about where he is from) but they never talk about it. They never seem annoyed when they have to explain something to him that is a long existing custom. If they asked him any questions, wouldn't they want to go to the beach and see this ship (the sub) that Jason came in on? Just to challenge him?

I just don't like having these issues with the show because I like it and I like all the characters a lot....

traevin

[12]Apr 5, 2014
    • level: 2
    Does anyone know if the show was picked up for season 2?

dpebbleson

[13]Apr 20, 2014
    Yes, yes it was

BilltheCat

[14]Sep 4, 2014
    • level: 3
    traevin wrote:
    Does anyone know if the show was picked up for season 2?

Yes, but no one seems to know when it is returning. It's getting ridiculous how BBC is being so secretive about a possible air date for S2.

dpebbleson

[15]Sep 5, 2014
    Indeed! I'm the editor of this board and have been searching relentlessly for any info, spoilers, etc. but none so far. I'd appreciate help from someone with more luck in finding anything on the series.

If there's any analogy to BBC's previous hit, Merlin, I'd expect it to air sometime at the end of September.

BilltheCat

[16]Oct 6, 2014
    • level: 3
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/atlantis/

November 15th!!!!!!

dpebbleson

[17]Oct 7, 2014
    Yes, indeed, good news!

boom-moo

[18]May 3, 2015
    poulters wrote:

I love this show but can't wait to find the connection between where Jason came from and Atlantis. He just excepted he's there and moved on.

Why does he not want to go back home, find his dad, or why he is there.

boom-moo wrote:
    My guess is that he won't even consider coming back to "our world" until he's found out what happened to his father, at least the whole bit of his father's story belonging in Atlantis. Confused as he might have been when he landed in Atlantis through the portal (granted it should have been dealt with better) he's come across clues and people who link his father to that place.

And I'm speaking out of memory here but from what I recall from the opening episode, Jason seemed to be determined to find out about his father at any price and that such search had become his goal in life so maybe there isn't much he longs to come back to.

So... following up with the early discussion in this thread and because I feel like there are a lot of things from season 1 and pre hiatus season 2 that I can't remember, let's see what we have been able to piece together so far:

-Circe (Pasiphae's sister) and her husband were ruling in Atlantis when Pasiphae schemed to kick them off the throne and achieve power. Pasiphae did also betray her husband (Aeson) to do so but Aeson escaped with his life and their son (Jason) to prevent Pasiphae from killing him to get to the throne. Pasiphae somehow came to believe that the child was dead while Aeson let Jason believe that Pasiphae had died shortly after giving birth. Then Pasiphae became Minos' wife and also managed to get rid of Minos' son Therus and king Minos himself. However, her attempts on Minos' daughter Ariadne's life were unsuccesful and eventually, Ariadne manages to claim the throne of Atlantis and kick Pasiphae out but not for long.

-For some reason Jason belongs in our time, the show's future, and following the lead of a bull horn shaped pendant he engages on a quest to find out about his past (in particular about his father who disappeared on a vessel) and travels through a portal in the ocean to Atlantis where he makes friends with Hercules and Pythagoras. The Oracle sees him for who he really is and (in pretty vage terms) lets him know that he has an important role to fulfill in Atlantis. Jason falls in love with Ariadne and viceversa but the fact hat he isn't of royal blood keeps them apart for a while.

-In the season 1 finale and following the Oracle's advice Jason, Ariadne and their friends escape to the silver mines in Pangean. Tychon, the leader of the leper colony who live there, allows them to stay after hearing their story and recognizing Jason's necklace. Pasiphae follows them to the mines but, as she is about to kill an unconscious Jason, Tychon steps in and saves his life by revealing that Jason is actually their son. Pasiphae, who refers to Tychon as Aeson, also learns from him that Jason is "touched by gods" just as she is. Pasiphae asks him to never tell Jason that she is his mother. Tychon agrees since he doesn't want Jason to be corrupted by claiming the power he is rightful heir to.

-By the beginning of season 2 Pasiphae is head-bound to do whatever it takes to regain the throne, which includes killing Ariadne and even her own son, Jason. Medea, a princess from (a neighbouring realm?) Colchis comes into the picture. She unites forces (and magic, which both possess) with Pasiphae. Medea is particularly keen on killing Ariadne for some reason but Jason not so much and she actually spares him and helps him escape more than once. Later on she will learn that Jason is Pasiphae's son.

-Ariadne overcomes her initial reluctance over Jason's lack of royal blood (to her knowing) and agrees to marry him. The Gods show their favour to the union but Pasiphae buys the high priest to state the contrary. Ariadne is kicked out of the throne out of treason and Pasiphae once again trumps her. Both Ariadne and Jason save each other's life and manage to escape, living as fugitives. However, Jason knows the truth about Pasiphae being his mother and consumed by hatred he turns dark.

-Medea's most interesting reveals:
    *She claims that both are "touched by the gods" and hence must help each other. She seems to have feelings for Jason which he doesn't reciprocate. Also Medea tells Jason that she is "Pasiphae's blood" but it hasn't been disclosed to what particular extent.
    *Jason's fate is entwined with Medea's, he won't kill her because without her all that he fights for will be lost. Both sense their connection, both share Pasiphae's blood and Jason will see the truth of their link one day in a far away land.

-The (late) Oracle's most interesting reveals:
    *Despite everything Pasiphae will be unable to kill Jason (she has actually spared his life at least once, and likewise, Jason has spared hers). However, the day will come when Jason will destroy her.
    *Jason will kill Medea (which he has already done, although it was her idea and for the greater good)
    *Jason will be consummed by hatred when knowing the truth about his origin (wich is coming to pass at present)

-Cassandra's most interesting reveal:
    *The only way for Jason to stop being drawn to the dark side (Pasiphae) is for him to get in touch with the light side (Aeson).

Phewww, did I miss anything important?

Still, I can't figure out the whole link between Medea and Jason and how it is to affect Jason's destiny in the future (our time). I guess that's gonna be the big secret kept until the end of the show which I'm ok with.
    Edited on 05/03/2015 11:26am

Merkavar

[19]Sep 11, 2015
    • level: 2
    I don't get it.

What was the point of the Jason comes from the future part?

It was probably the reason I started watching. Oh look a time travel show with ancient greek stuff. Then there was like no mention of the future, no trying to get back, no nothing.

I am confused.

Any help?