Atomic Betty Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2008)

Ok, need some answers... PRONTO!

Arman5554444

[1]Jan 27, 2006
    • level: 5
    Just asking but... WHY DOES ATOMIC BETTY ALWAYS WIN?! I mean even though this is a cartoon they SHOULD make some of the villians win! You know a battle, not the "war" but just the battle! It's kinda dumb that the Hero ALWAYS win all the time(in this it's common, to ME)! Like why can't it be the villians unite and just BEAT Atomic Betty! And at leat a 2 or 3 part episode! And I really need some answers on this topic please reply
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

delete_lover

[2]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 6
    Okay, first of all...because she's the heroine, duh. Like it or not, the rule of all superhero shows is that the good guys are supposed to win, take it or leave it. Secondly, she HAS suffered quite a few blows, beatings, and such other things while battling her opponents. From what I can remember, she got hit with a heavy piece of chrome and was smashed into the wall by it, knocked out, run over by a herd of Bunny-Crickets, hit in the face full-thrust by a creature about five or six times her size, almost cryogenically frozen, and countless other things.

And don't you dare try to tell me that Kim Possible was better, because that bratty slut NEVER suffered defeat except in ONE episode. ONE. I mean, what's up with that? =P

BeantownBrawlah

[3]Jan 29, 2006
    • level: 8
    delete_lover wrote:
    Okay, first of all...because she's the heroine, duh. Like it or not, the rule of all superhero shows is that the good guys are supposed to win, take it or leave it. Secondly, she HAS suffered quite a few blows, beatings, and such other things while battling her opponents. From what I can remember, she got hit with a heavy piece of chrome and was smashed into the wall by it, knocked out, run over by a herd of Bunny-Crickets, hit in the face full-thrust by a creature about five or six times her size, almost cryogenically frozen, and countless other things.

And don't you dare try to tell me that Kim Possible was better, because that bratty slut NEVER suffered defeat except in ONE episode. ONE. I mean, what's up with that? =P

Delete_Lover nailed it right on the head; Rule Number 1 in all superhero/superheroine shows is that bad guys finish last, good guys finish first. You don't get slammed, trampled, beaten down and nearly frozen just to get beaten, that's not how it works. Now if you cast the VILLAN as a hero, that's okay, you can have Betty get beaten as many times asyou like. But here's the bottomline:

Betty's the hero, she's supposed to come out on top. You don't like it? Tough luck, kid.

Arman5554444

[4]Jan 30, 2006
    Let me re state that, ok, i know that Superheroes ALWAYS win, but at least have some part where the villian can ATLEAST have a chance to "defeat" the heroine! When i mean by "defeat" i mean like in this part the hero gets taken from the villian you know like in Yu-Gi-Oh, Yugi get's consumed by the seal, even though the pharaoh is the hero he still lost! (to that guy, forgot his name!)
    And he lost to Kaiba when they were on that island! So... necesseraily... (spelt wrong > ) SOME bad guys win, SOME! I'm not proving anything, i'm either confused or something... but of course SOME do win... but i'm ok with Betty winning but it's kinda bad to ALWAYS let them win... ALWAYS in EVERY single episode!!! It get's tiring! Why not a villian who can't be stopped, and make it like a 2-3 part episode... SO Betty CAN win, even though she's lost but WON Ok... this made no sense did this?

Arman5554444

[5]Jan 30, 2006
    what i mean is, she loses the first time and the second BUT wins at her third time! so... SHE wins but the villian wins the first 3!

delete_lover

[6]Jan 30, 2006
    • level: 6
    Arman5554444 wrote:
    Let me re state that, ok, i know that Superheroes ALWAYS win, but at least have some part where the villian can ATLEAST have a chance to "defeat" the heroine! When i mean by "defeat" i mean like in this part the hero gets taken from the villian you know like in Yu-Gi-Oh, Yugi get's consumed by the seal, even though the pharaoh is the hero he still lost! (to that guy, forgot his name!)
    And he lost to Kaiba when they were on that island! So... necesseraily... (spelt wrong > ) SOME bad guys win, SOME! I'm not proving anything, i'm either confused or something... but of course SOME do win... but i'm ok with Betty winning but it's kinda bad to ALWAYS let them win... ALWAYS in EVERY single episode!!! It get's tiring! Why not a villian who can't be stopped, and make it like a 2-3 part episode... SO Betty CAN win, even though she's lost but WON Ok... this made no sense did this?

Actually, it did make a bit of sense. Perhaps, in this season's finale, they'll do something like that, but only time will tell. Unfortunately, we're not in charge of the show...D:

TerraGirl16

[7]Feb 4, 2006
    • level: 26
    delete_lover wrote:
    Arman5554444 wrote:

Actually, it did make a bit of sense. Perhaps, in this season's finale, they'll do something like that, but only time will tell. Unfortunately, we're not in charge of the show...D:

Every star has their day. Going back to the Kim Possible thing, she did lose to the villains in A Sitch in Time but then won when it really counted. I think it would be neat if something like that happened to Betty. Oh, and bring Noah into it too! *Starts dreaming up how she wants the season finale to be*

From
    Terra

imverybasic

[8]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 16
    I might know what the writers of the show are trying to do. For the first season they make betty win most of the
    time but they've changed that for the second season. They make her lose a little bit on purpose so they make sure
    that the situation of betty always winning won't make us wonder why and they want to make it more realistic that
    way.

BeantownBrawlah

[9]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 8
    imverybasic wrote:
    I might know what the writers of the show are trying to do. For the first season they make betty win most of the
    time but they've changed that for the second season. They make her lose a little bit on purpose so they make sure
    that the situation of betty always winning won't make us wonder why and they want to make it more realistic that
    way.

Sounds logical...Even Superman has some off days now and then, anyway...

imverybasic

[10]Dec 26, 2006
    Thanks, but I'm tired of Atomic Betty always winning in every round. They try to make her unstoppable and I've never really seen Superman; so I guess he's probably had his off days, too. As for Kim Possible; she makes her mistakes, but barely. She also is another character who is indestructable and I'm just tired of it. They should have more off days, maybe even more than their crews/ sidekicks because I feel that they are just underused in the show.

candy_obsession

[11]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 2
    Arman5554444 wrote:
    Let me re state that, ok, i know that Superheroes ALWAYS win, but at least have some part where the villian can ATLEAST have a chance to "defeat" the heroine! When i mean by "defeat" i mean like in this part the hero gets taken from the villian you know like in Yu-Gi-Oh, Yugi get's consumed by the seal, even though the pharaoh is the hero he still lost! (to that guy, forgot his name!) And he lost to Kaiba when they were on that island! So... necesseraily... (spelt wrong > ) SOME bad guys win, SOME! I'm not proving anything, i'm either confused or something... but of course SOME do win... but i'm ok with Betty winning but it's kinda bad to ALWAYS let them win... ALWAYS in EVERY single episode!!! It get's tiring! Why not a villian who can't be stopped, and make it like a 2-3 part episode... SO Betty CAN win, even though she's lost but WON Ok... this made no sense did this?
    Ahaha, sorry to burst your bubble, but you missed an important fact about that Yu Gi Oh episode. If I remember correctly, if Kaiba lost, he was GOING TO COMMIT SUICIDE!! So Yugi was being a good friend and let him win. Besides, if there was a villain who can't be stopped, than what happens to the earth?? No eart, no Atomic Betty, no fave series of mine no more. Also, keep in mind, that this is a CARTOON, that is directly mainly at youth between the ages of 8 and 14. They may be mature-er, but they would get pretty irritated if they found out they fave hero just got beaten. I was pretty bummed out myself when I saw Videl from DBZ get beat up REALLY badly. Besides, isn't the fight scenes enough for you?? And as well, Betty has to sacrifice a lot of good things saving the world and beating those villains while NO ONE KNOWS!! And that's a pretty good sacrifice for me. Even better than getting beaten.
    Edited on 07/18/2008 9:09am

candy_obsession

[12]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 2
    TerraGirl16 wrote:
    delete_lover wrote:
    Arman5554444 wrote:

Every star has their day. Going back to the Kim Possible thing, she did lose to the villains in A Sitch in Time but then won when it really counted. I think it would be neat if something like that happened to Betty. Oh, and bring Noah into it too! *Starts dreaming up how she wants the season finale to be*

From
    Terra

Ahaha, sorry for the double quote, but Noah should definitely get more involved during season three. He provides comic relief, not only because he's a bit... well inexperienced with everything but also because his reactions with Betty being with Chaz are pretty funny. =P

EdFan101

[13]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 21
    Arman5554444 wrote:
    i've got a better idea instead of just losing in space why not on earth instead? because she always does things right on earth and always gets what she wants on earth that can get boring too

imverybasic

[14]Aug 16, 2008

The way I see it, the writers just make everything come naturally to Betty (might I add that they don't do a good job of that or making her lose a fight or make careless errors) and Chaz is a perfect example. I think the issue here and I'm not sure if I'm the only one who believes this but, the real issue behind all of this is Penelope. Just to answer Edfan's question on why she does everything right on Earth is mainly because she is always up against someone which is Penelope. What the writers tend to show is that they want Betty to have two problems to make her more interesting: the original problem on Earth and Penelope always trying to prevent any chance of success for Betty. I mean think about it like this; Penelope is in every episode, especially in the third season. In every episode, Betty basically has the same problem; she has her problem in space which is a mission and the original problem on Earth, which is mainly Penelope. So to make things more "interesting", Betty ends up killing two birds with one stone in every episode and I can see how anyone can get tired of that (hopefully that's not just me). In fact, going back to the Kim Possible thing, Kim also faces the same problem, excpet it's with Bonnie. Like Betty, Kim has the mission and Bonnie to deal with at the same time and what ends up happening is like Betty, Kim's technique when facing a situation in every episode is that she kills two birds with one stone. Just like in Totally Spies, Juniper Lee, etc... Though, those shows do it a little better but I think that's the whole reason behind the Betty always wins. Unfortunately, the writers go waaaayyyyy too overboard when everything just has to go her way (i.e, every boy in school like her, she's good at every sport) and this definitely bothers me. The same thing with Totally Spies when Alex is the best runner, snowboarder in the world or Sam is the smartest girl at school and always has the major role (fighting, figuring out complicated problems) compared to the other girls. Juniper Lee is another example. We learn that she quit volleyball because of her superstrength or Monroe tells her to lose in Track and Field just because of an unfair super hero advantage. Again, with Atomic Betty, she is numerously compared to Sparky and X-5 and is continuously identified as "the best" by Admiral Degil and I can see how silly or bothersome it could get for something like this to happen in an action show. Personally, I just can't seem to get over the idea of Sparky and X-5 just being meer lackeys or crew members who have to look inferior to Betty just because the point of the series is for her to be perfect.

Edited on 08/26/2008 10:05am
    Edited 2 total times.

EdFan101

[15]Aug 19, 2008
    i was acually thinking. you know how most bully characters in shows are given more depth in their personalities one example of this is bonnie from kim possible,in one episodes she has sisters who tease her and things and well that gives her character more depth which should also be happening to the main characters but anyway back to my first statement...i was wondering why they won't give penelope more character depth like most other bully characters?

imverybasic

[16]Aug 24, 2008

Well, we learn that she has a brother but, nothing seems to be happening in their relationship which doesn't actually say much and thus, not giving Penelope any character development, at all. You make a good point about Bonnie. I forgot about that about her. The way I see it though is it was a minor scenario and a one timer thing which only resulted in little development in her. But I do agree; that should happen more to the main characters. I've noticed that development in mainly a minor character or a main character that has a minor role; their development is based on the idea that they have older/younger siblings though, I don't think that that should be the only way to build up a character's personality. It should be more along the lines of something happening to them, or we learn their deepest secrets or fears during the series. Sadly, in Betty's case, she is an only child anyway but also, she is the star of the show and not only that, she is emphasized even more as the main character; being leader and seeing that she is a flawless character which makes it even harder for the writers to build her up. Mind you, Betty could have a specific fear that causes her to go out of character at least for one episode; that would build her up slightly. But, if we've seen any development in anyone, I'd say that that would have to be Maximus. We learn about his love of ducks (more so extended in the second season), we discover his family in the earlier episodes and he's also been on a date. We learn that he at least loved someone for a while. Zulia and Minimus would be second in line. Not to give out any spoilers for anyone who hasn't started viewing the third season but, we learn that Zulia goes on more dates (she has three boyfriends), we discover her identity as an author and we learn that she is Sparky's mother. Minimus would only have one episode where he has developed, somewhat (The Strange Case Of Minimus Hyde). We now know the purpose about his two faces. It goes more in-depth and we learn that if his head remains on his evil side, he transforms into a monster. With Betty and Penelope; first off, Penelope has got to stop appearing in every episode trying to bully Betty in every episode. It happens way too much and it gets kind of boring after a while. Secondly, Betty shouldn't have everything come so easily to her; it's too unnatural and out of the ordinary. Okay, she's developed more in her lingo and her personality but as for the way things happen, it should be tweaked aroud just a bit so we get to see more development. Just one last thing (not to insult the show or anything) but, have any of you noticed about her name calling towards the villains? Now I feel that that is getting out of hand. It's pretty corny to try and toughen her up by making her throw corny insults at the villains. I feel that the writers shouldn't try to toughen her up so much by making her lippy like Kim Possible or the WOOHP agents. Fighting them is more than enough.

I apologize for the long speech and for whoever decides to read my post, please forgive me for some of the things that I put in it.

Edited on 08/24/2008 8:17pm

EdFan101

[17]Aug 25, 2008
    i can think of a few things to add to penelope's character development but...it's a surprise

imverybasic

[18]Aug 26, 2008
    Okay, I await your ideas.

EdFan101

[19]Aug 26, 2008
    ok what if she was a galactic guardian and she was better than betty?

imverybasic

[20]Aug 27, 2008
    That would have huge development on her part. We learn that as snobby and snooty that she is; she is a dedicated superhero.