Australian Idol

Sunday 7:30 PM on Network Ten Premiered Jul 01, 2003 In Season

Australian Idol Fan Reviews (16)

6.4
  • AUSTRALIAN IDOL ROX THIS COUNTRY

Australian idol rox
    they always have the best singers
    Casey Donovan was so great in Australian idol last year.
    But in the first season l reckon Shannon Noll should have won.
    l loved watching Australian idol
    l wish it came more than once a year
    Australian idol is the bomb it has great things in it.
  • What I like about this show...

Ok, ok. So some people might get bored of the talent show concept, but I like it. Without this show, Australia wouldn\'t have found great artists like Guy Sebastian, Shannon Noll, Kate DeAraugo, Lee Harding, Anthony Callea, Casey Donovan, Ricki-Lee Coulter and so many more. Andrew G. and James are great as hosts and the judges are very concise.

All in all, I wouldn't mind if Australian Idol came back for a fourth series.
  • The viewer's choice was pretty spot on....

I totally enjoyed watching viewer's choice night on Australian Idol last night..and I was especially thrilled to see the song I voted for made it on the show.
    I wanted to see Damien sing "Hallelujah" and I was totally moved by his emotional performance..his voice is breath taking when he hits notes like that accompanyied by only his guitar.
    The big surprise for me was when he did Roy Orbison's "Crying" that was truly magical and all the little hairs on the back of my neck stood up.
    I know Damien has been given heaps by Mark Holden over some of his performances..but a double touchdown put pay to that last night.!!!!!
    I think the other idols had been given two good songs ...but it felt like they each only really nailed one of them and Jess should have nailed both of hers ..I think maybe the nerves got to her a bit.
    Chris and Dean didn't seem to hit their stride last night and both seemed lacklustre..but that doesn't mean they couldn't bounce back next week if they stay in the competition...I guess we will have to see what happens tonight.
  • You only need to watch the auditions.

7.6
    Australian Idol only attracts ratings from the huge audience wanting to see horribly pathetic singers who believe they are fantastic artists whose only reviewers are confused and deranged family members. What is so great about this show is the terrible performers as they are so funny in the way they sing. One auditionist was singing from an iPod and the earpiece fell out of her ear. But from the tens of thousand losers that try out only 124 averagely good singers got through and some of those were shocking. what they need to do is get rid of all the good singers, throw in the truly bad ones and we vote for them. If they did that, the ratings would go through the roof.
  • A journey of talent? I think not... The true talent lies with the shows true winner.. Anthony Callea.

7.3
    This shows season finale shocked me and a lot of my friends. Almost everyone I spoke with was at a complete loss as to why Anthony Callea did not win the ultimate title. Regardless he remains the true Aussie Idol, achieving records in the Australian music industry that will be impossible to top for many years to come. Thanks Anthony for making this show worth watching, without you.. it would have been nothing!
  • The first season was a new experience for viewers, but the following seasons have dropped dramatically in the ratings. A popularity contest that shows how quickly popularity can be lost. The reality TV format has now been seen to often and is losing its p

5.5
    The first season saw a nation that was taken over by "Idol" fever, but the following seasons have appeared stail in comparison. Album sales have been disasterous for the Idol winner Casey Donovan after she struggled to reach Gold sales (even though she was awarded 2X platinum status).

The fan base has continued to become younger and younger and has seen a contestant miss out on a spot in the final three by 20 something votes. The close finish suggests to me that their are less people voting and therefore less interest and who knows how the album sales will go this time around.

Season three maybe the last that we see in Australia unless Ten are willing to flog a dead horse. This show is definitely beyond its prime and seems to have found little talent this season.

In my opinion, it's time to change the channel or start Australia wide singing lessons in schools to ensure Australia isn't completely embarrassed next time round.
  • The first time Australian Idol was aired on tv was the best. The year after that I was even more excited. Then the year after that was a little bit more interesting, but then the year after that was so boring. This years, its the bestest season so far.

Australian Idol. It is for many, many talented people. It is an industry that helps people have a chance of a very hard corporation to get into the music bussiness. Australian Idol is for many people in Australia to watch, but it can also be boring to many teens, as it is showed too many times. With new guest stars, judges and hosts, it tries too hard to keep the audience addicted to it. I think that they need bigger voices and it was lame how they went to the U.K to find a singer. Australian is a good show.
  • This show is getting old.

4.5
    I would have to say that at first this show was of great entertainment value. But as each season passes and yet the same type of singer is chosen every year it is getting old people. From the small tidbits i seen of last years finales, there were some pretty talented singers selected for a change might i add, but when it came down to the winner an Irish man was chosen. Now that is saying alot. The versitility among the singers was fantastic, but they got kicked off because they did bring a different singing style. So to all fans of this show please do not take this badly, i just believe if the different styles could get more of a chance then maybe i will tune in again. But hell ya can only work with what the judges place in the finale. So who is really to blame for the lack of interest.
  • The series started strongly but into its 4th series, it has slowly got worse.

The series first started in 2003 with huge success becoming the highest rating series that year in Australia. That continued in the 2nd series but the number of viwers almost halved in 2005. This has be attributed to the winners in my opinion not the best and the runner up in each season has turned out to be more successful. A desperate attempt to change the format this year has had some effect but they now focus even more on showing people who have no interest in being an Idol in the auditions. The series isn't helped by the judges who are terrible and need to be replaced. The series needs to give viewers more power in the semi finals but have totally done the opposite this year telling people to vote and then the judges choosing 3 of the 4 wildcards and the votes only counting for the 2 last people.
    Unless things change dramatically then the show will continue to get worse and the so called faviourite to win is terrible and looks like we will have another Idol winner become a failure.
  • I watched a couple of episodes of this show and that was it! The point is, this show would be my most hated out of all the Idol shows!

3.4
    I watched a couple of episodes of Season 2 and 4, but automatically I found it stupid and boring!
    Seriously, some of the reality shows these days need fine tuning, because a lot of them deserve to be GARBAGE! I’ll say it again: GARBAGE!
    I actually come from Auckland, New Zealand and that too had an Idol show, but not as bad as this! It just bores me and nothing is really ever funny, this show needs serious work done or I’ll do everything I can to avoid it! I don’t normally like to give shows bad ratings, but many of them out there are just a load of rubbish! In conclusion to my review, I’m really upset about the way this show is doing.
  • As said before it makes a joke of the Australian music industry.

2.7
    I really dispise this show or anything remotely like it. I can see why it has its fans by it makes a mockery of the music industry we have.

There are so many artists and bands who struggle to make money and make it big, but Idol is just a walk-up recording contract to anyone with a half decent voice.

So far no-one on Idol's career has really taken off, the best they seem to be able to get is to perform at a Christmas Carol show.

Basically what happens on the show is that each contestant sings "their own version" of a popular song and public votes on who goes and who progresses in the competition to get the recording contract. (Which really is a joke because if you make the Top 5 or 6 you will probably get a contract anyway.)

By the way do you know why the winner of idol's career doesn't take off? Its because the record company rushes to make an album for the singer before Christmas and therefore it is lacking seriously in quality.

I only gave this show a score because I like watching some of the talentless wannabes in the early weeks trying to convince the judges that they actually do have a decent singing voice.
  • Australian Idol 2009 what a crap year. The Judges where even worse. That Jay Dee Springbett must be tone deaf because he choose all the really bad performers out of the wild cards and reject those like James Johnston who sounded really good. Jay Dees

2.5
    Australian Idol 2009 was a crappy year why. Well for starters the voting lines where only open over night and closed the morning after early Sydney time. Now that doesn't give you and I enough time to make our votes count doesn't it. Another problem is with the judging. Jay Dee Springbett who was a bad choice as a replacement for Kyle chose all of the bad performers out of the wild cards. He also made bad remarks about some of the final 12 like James Johnston and there performances. Jay Dee you don't know real talent.The Grand final sucked
  • Rubbish

Australian Idol is just plain rubbish that will never be special. The people that go on Australian Idol all end up being Idol rejects like Lee Harding and Kate DeAraugo whose albums are now just worth 15 cents, so worthless you might as well through in the bin. Plus the judges are just as bad. Stupid Kyle Sandilands doesn't know anything about music and is just a bully. At least Marcia Hines and Mark Holden do have some music background. And what's the deal with Dicko. He doesn't know anything about music. Channel Ten better get rid of this show or Ten will be taken to court to have the show stopped. Led by me.
  • The hell that is reality shows

This is one of the least entertaining pieces of garbage to ever hit the little screen. All the competitions are is just picking a bunch of wannabe singers (who can't sing if their lives depended on it) and choosing the one with the least horrible voice to become a real singer when there is no way in hell that they would be able to get a contract without the show.

Two of my least favourite singers came out of this reality show and both are talentless, one not even being able to come up with new songs but rather continuously redo old songs and causing them to sound terrible.

I can\'t understand why people watch this show when it is clearly a waste of time, as are all reality shows in my opinion.
  • Worlds Biggest Waste Of Dump!

3 words can sum up this filthy pile of egotistical crap \"Hipnotic Repeatative Crap\" hopefully a large percentage of you agree with me that this is one of the most pointless thing since Poke\'Mon , the main problem with this show is that the fact that they choose the most hideous vile annoyingly loud people from the deepest receses of any sewer they can find and say they have talent (A fine example Shannon Nole, gave me the Jibbly\'s) The only remotly good thing about this crap is the auditions, they\'re funny because they are sad, anyhow I should Wrap up this crap on a crust. I hate Australian Idol!!
  • This show makes a joke of the Australian music industry. There is no talent in what they do.

0.0
    This show makes a joke of the Australian music industry. There is no talent in what they do, they get up on stage and cover a song, there is no real talent in that. Many claim that this show provides a great launching pad for many careers, but does it teach any of them how to handle popularity in the public, does it teach them how to compose, does it teach them any scrap of musical ability? The answer is no.

The contestants should not be waisting radio air time, it should be reserved for Australian artists of whom hold more talent than any of the contestants, such as Grinspoon, the Living End, Missy Higgins and End of Fashion.

The ARIAS should completely over look these contestants for an award. And that is all these people will be. Anthony Callea, will forever be known as Anthony Callea, the small everybody knows he is gay, but he denies it mediokre singer who was runner up on Australian Idol, he will never be renowned as just a singer he will always carry the baggage of Australian Idol.