Avatar: The Last Airbender

Avatar Day

Aired Friday 6:30 PM Apr 28, 2006 on Nickelodeon

• Avatar Day

Avatar Day was a really great episode of Avatar The Last Airbender. I enjoyed watching this episode because it was full of humor, action, intrigue, and some interesting plot turns. It is interesting to see the path Zuko has chosen. I thought it was cool how Aang wanted to defend his honor and became cool with the other inmates with bald heads and tattoos! I enjoyed learning more about Avatar Kyoshi and seeing her in action. Though there are only minor plot developments, this episode has some great defining moments. I look forward to watching the next episode of Avatar The Last Airbender!!!!
  • While I particularly enjoyed this episode, Sokka was way out of chatacter, although finally hearing Avatar Kyoshi speak after 21 episodes of knowing her was a pleasant surprise.

The plot and story of 'Avatar Day' was a good one, but I believe they made Sokka too outof character in this episode. Although I thought Katara\'s dialouge was mostly in-character, and the lines with Sokka were most certainly meant for comic relief, I still believe Sokka was too out of character for my liking.

History is one of my favorite subjects, and the history of this show is so deep and they could go so far with it. I liked how Kyoshi told of how Kyoshi Isle came about creation, as freedom from Chin the Conqueror. No wonder she has a statue in her name, and the island named after her.

In a post on another message board, I put out a theory that Avatar Kyoshi ha done something for the greater good, but hurt the town (now known as Chin), and that was somewhat right, as she separated her people from Chin the conqueror's wrath, but killed Chin in the process.

The Mayor of Chin was a little insane if you ask me. The whole part at the end "Avatar Day" will now be a celebration of how Avatar Aang saved the town of Chin..." was a bit weird and it felt rushed to me. One minute they want to kill him (or "burn him in oil") the next their making him a hero.

And "community service" didn\'t feel right to me either. I mean that's more or less a Western idea, and they couldn\'t come up with a more Asian name for it? It just didn\'t feel right.

I'll give the writers the benefit of the doubt here and give this episode a good rating. However it could have been better?

But it makes you wonder. Episode 105 was silly, episode 205 was even sillier, how will episode 305 be?
  • Underappreciated episode.

Another underappreciated episode. This episode tells what Avatar Kyoshi did in her past, about killing Chin the Great. We actually got to see Avatar Kyoshi do some bending, she was so strong, she separated her land and Chin the Great's land. It also premiered the Rough Rhinos, which they had a great fight with Aang, Katara, and Sokka at the end of this episode. Also, I loved when Aang talked to the prisoners about "the girl" Aang likes, which is obviously Katara. The one prisoner said "She'll like you. You have good looks, a good attitude, and not to mention you're the Avatar!" That part was really funny, I laughed until I cried. Overall, I give this episode a 9.2.
  • Another dime piece.

There was close to no action in this episode--aside from those couple of scenes of fighting with the Rhino Squad--and yet this episode was still pretty damn brilliant. Writing as always is nicely paced and structured; a bunch of recurring stuff like the Rhino Squad, Waterbender money, makes the episode feel like the watch is much longer than just 20 minutes. The humour wasn't really laugh out loud funny, but it was just amusing. The whole Sokka being a detective thing and Aang having a serious and deep conversation with a bunch of prisoners were funny in an amusing way. A solid overall episode.
  • Aang is held on trial due to crimes in his past life.

This episode didn't really have that much impact on the series, so I call it a filler episode. Aang and his friends arrive at an Earth town where they celebrate an "Anti-Avatar" day. Really weird in my opinion XD Anywho, Aang doesn't like it, and tries to redeem himself in front of everyone. He allows himself to get captured, then sends Katara and Sokka back to Kyoshi Island to find evidence of the crime. Back at the trial, Kyoshi herself materializes and tells the villagers why she killed the past leader. She only did it to protect everyone, and had she not killed him, the town would have been in chaos.
  • Why is he wasting his time in this dumb town?

4.5
    They need to be moving on so Aang can find an earth bending teacher, so why are they wasting there time in this dumb town full of realy dumb people. Who cares if they don\'t like the avatar. You can\'t please all of the people all of the time. I guess he has to have every one like him. They made Sokka look stupid to. Even the fighting wasn\'t very good. I don\'t like to see Aang in drag. The episode was so bad there isn\'t a whole lot I can say about it.
    However, this is one of the best shows on T.V. can\'t wait to see what happens next season!
  • nothing happened

7.1
    this was ANOTHER bad episode from bryke.
    i guess you gotta have about 3-4 bad episodes for 200 perfect episodes.
    well nothing relaly happended except the fact that kyoshi killed chin the conqueror from destroying peace.
    well sokka was funny, but he is ALWAYS funny/.
    and i have nothing to say for this episode.
    if it was good, i would be complementing bryke on how well they did and how extrodinary this episode was.
    but NOPE!
    there is nothing to talk about at all.
    seriously i was playing my DS the whole time watching this episode.
    And avatar is a great show, its only 3-4 bad episodes but the rest of it is still good!
  • didnt like it too much

7.4
    we learn more of the previous earthbender avatar, avatar kyoshi. we learn how kyoshi island was first formed and yeah. avatar kyoshi has big feet and she killed a leader and blah blah blah im getting bored of these reviews but i wanna level so badly and i see some other people are reviewing every episode just like i am. i thought of the idea i didnt copy from anyone else. 29 more words till im done with this review. 20 more words. im gonna died of boredom with these reviews. 9 more words. 6 more words. i am now done.
  • The episode was good,but weird at the same time.

Many people call this a filler episode,and they are right.Sure it had important moments.We learned about Avatar Kyoshi.She had really killed someone,and the town hated avatar for that.However,it was a bit weird.Like when they hated the avatar just because Kyoshi killed one of their people.And the part about those weird cookies.This episode was not that important.They really should have explained Kyoshi in a different way,instead of making it seem pointless.Better yet,it did not need an entire episode about it.Oh well,at least we learned something about an avatar.And an earthbending avatar,since this is the Earth book.Still,it should be considered a filler episode.I rate it a 7/10.
  • A good episode

I didn't like this episode so much. It looked more like a filler to me. The avatar didn't really do much since he was supposed to be boiled in oil and Sokka just irked me in this episode. It might just be me but the bubble pipe was really unnecessary. However, there was a few things I like in this episode. The fact that we got to learn a bit more about Aang's past life and the whole little bit with the masks. I thought that was a pretty cute joke. This episode was okay but it certainly wasn't the best.

The only part I liked is the kyoshi backstory and sokkas humor becuase ohter than that there wasnt much in the episode
  • great episdoe

Aang and the gang discover an Earth town that celebrates something called "Avatar Day." But when they get there and learn the festival is of "anti-Avatar" sentiment and Aang is put on trial for a crime a past incarnation allegedly committed. Looking to clear the Avatar's good name, Katara and Sokka venture back to a familiar place to gather evidence and discover the truth. Can Aang redeem himself in the eyes of the people of the Earth town? great episdoe
    great episdoe

we learn more about avatar kyoshi and her past and that she has gigantic feet that are bigger than other avatars
  • Yes it was a filler, however, it was a good filler.

People who hate the Avatar outside the fire nation? Sure we have seen one or two people annoyed at Aang but a whole village was interesting and rather unusual. Continuing with this we see some great character development from Aang (and a bit of romance advice) who is willing to stand trail. But perhaps the best aspect of this episode was the history lesson we received, not only did it give us insight to the culture but it was something for the fans to enjoy. All this cast along side Sokka as Sherlock Homes created a wonderful filler episode in the series.
  • Avatar Day!!!!!

Avatar Day is a great episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender. It has great action, plus it reveals a little bit about Avatar Kyoshi. I like learning about the past avatars. I think it's cool.

Anyway, I think ending could have been improved, which is why it dropped down to a 9.5. I mean, fire nation attackin, that happens in every episode! They could have been more creative. But, I guess it's good, because the villigers put their trust into Aang AFTER the last minute. So, 9.5, it's pretty good, and I'd say it's a filler episode, because the actual storyline in the series has nothing to do with this episode.
  • Exciting!!

Momo spots a spider that has made a web in Sokka's mouth, due to the fact that he was sleeping with his mouth open. The lemur grabs the spider and ends up waking up Sokka, who yells at Momo in response and who in turn ends up waking Katara and Aang. His outburst attracts the attention of a mounted Fire Nation military unit known as The Rough Rhinos, who surround them. In their attempt to leave quickly, the trio instantly realize that they each left a precious possession behind at the camp: Katara's Waterbending scroll, Aang's staff, and Sokka's boomerang. Katara and Aang take advantage of their bending abilities and retrieve their desired possessions while Sokka is the only who is unable to retrieve his. He feels angry that the two spent the time to get their possessions back despite the danger and did not spare time for his. Katara simply confirms the fact. Once in an Earth Kingdom village (Chin Village), the three kids learn of "Avatar Day." They watch a parade with giant floats that are made to look like Avatar Kyoshi, Roku, and Aang. The trio at first believed that the festival is honoring the Avatar, but then a man torches the three floats to the loud approval of the village, who chant, "Down with the Avatar!" Aang reveals himself as the Avatar, only to be arrested. While in his jail cell, the village's mayor explains to him that "Avatar Day" was formed after Avatar Kyoshi killed the village's leader, Chin the Great. To prove Aang's (or rather, Kyoshi's) innocence, Sokka and Katara search the village and return to Kyoshi Island to find evidence that says otherwise. They find out that according to islanders of Kyoshi, she was there founding the island at the very time she supposedly murdered Chin the Great. Unfortunately, the evidence is useless because in these trials, the opposing sides only tell what they believe happened. Using only the two stories, the jury decides who is innocent and who is guilty; for this case, the village mayor serves as both prosecution and jury. Meanwhile, Aang, still in his jail cell, has become somewhat friendly with the other prisoners. One of them offers him advice about girls (that is, Katara). During Aang's trial, after hearing Mayor Tong's story and Aang's vague version, he is found guilty. Refusing to give up, Sokka and Katara have Aang dress up in Kyoshi's old uniform. Surprisingly, Kyoshi manifests herself through Aang's body (like how Avatar Roku did). She announces to the village that she did indeed kill Chin the Great (or "Conqueror," as she calls him), but it was for a good cause. Chin was conquering neighboring lands and was planning on conquering Kyoshi's village, so to protect her people she went to confront Chin's army alone, coming face to face with the (surprisingly short) warlord. But instead of fighting, Kyoshi broke the entire peninsula off from the mainland, pushing it away to form Kyoshi Island. In the process, Kyoshi's airbending scattered Chin's army. Chin cried out in frustration, but because he was now standing on a weak overhang at the edge of a cliff, the ground broke off from under his feet and he fell to his death. Once Kyoshi's spirit disappears, the village brings out a wheel for Aang to spin to determine his punishment. It lands on "boiled in oil," but before the sentence can be carried out, the Fire Nation bandits from earlier arrive to take over the village. Fearing for his safety, the mayor quickly changes the punishment to community service, and pleads with Aang to defeat the warriors and save the village. The trio engages the warriors in battle and is successful in driving them away, Sokka regaining his boomerang during the battle. In an act of thanks, the mayor decides that in the future, Avatars will be honored on "Avatar Day." Since Aang was not boiled in oil on this day, the celebration will involve eating effigies of the Avatar made from uncooked dough. When all is said and done, Sokka comments that Chin Village is "the worst town we've ever been to". Meanwhile, ashamed of the position that he is now in, Zuko disguises himself as the Blue Spirit to steal from the wealthy. Worried about how Zuko is taking to the situation, Iroh tells Zuko, "In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength." and capturing the Avatar will not improve their situation. After thinking about what his uncle said, Zuko decides to travel alone.
  • Avatar-Day

• nothing happened, filler episode

aOk this is a filler episode ,nothing happend,i don't like this epi it no have a goods battel,or a good story line,it just and epi of avatar,well i only say that they give alot of fact about the avatar kyoshi but that is all no more .why in this show have alot of filler episode and thing that nothing happed like this i love the acction not just wacth a groups of comics talking.i just lougthed a littlel bit wen i wacthed aang dressed like avatar kyoshi but that is all no more,what more i cna say it is not the est episode of avatar.
  • Avatar Day is the fifth episode of the second season of the series. Aang and the gang discover an Earth Kingdom town that celebrates "Avatar Day." However the holiday involves ceremonies of anti-Avatar sentiments.

Once in an Earth Kingdom village, the three kids learn of "Avatar Day." They watch a parade with giant floats that are made to look like Avatar Kyoshi, Roku, and Aang. The trio at first believed that the festival is honoring the Avatar, but then a man torches the three floats to the loud approval of the village, who chant, "Down with the Avatar!"

During Aang's trial, after hearing the village major's story and Aang's vague version, he is found guilty. Refusing to give up, Sokka and Katara have Aang dress up in Kyoshi's old uniform.

• not one of the best episodes, but there was some good parts

Not much in this episode, but my favorite things that happened where avatar kyoshi's story, and when the rough rhinos invaded.

• Happy Avatar Day!

This ep seems like a filler, but i don't think that it is. We meet a new group of chracters that proves to be important later, we also meet a new town and see their tradations. We learn more about Avatar Kisoi's past and what the job of the Avatar is about. We also meet some old friends, and learn where some more old friends are. This ep also develops Sokka's character even more. There is also pleantly of action in this ep, and there is a ton of comic humor, one the the funnier eps i think. So happy avatar day!
  • More about Avatar Kyoshi is revealed.

Aang gets arrested for something he supposedly did in a past life, so Sokka takes up the job of a detective to try and clear Aang’s good name.

All seems to go well, Sokka gets the evidence he thinks will clear Aang's name, however that’s not how the town works, and Aang’s is sentenced to boil in water, so with a last effort, Katara dress him in Avatar Kyoshi's outfit, hoping that Kyoshi will arrive and shed some light on what really happens, she does and it backfires, she admits to killing Chin the conqueror.

I thought that the fact that Aang was being blamed for something he did in a past life was harsh, but everything that Mayor Thong does to try and discredit the avatar, makes him look like a wimp, a hilarious wimp, which is another reason I loved this episode, it was chalk full of comedic characters.
  • A great episode that tells about what Avatar Kyoshi did in her past.

Another underappreciated episode. This episode tells what Avatar Kyoshi did in her past, about killing Chin the Great. We actually got to see Avatar Kyoshi do some bending, she was so strong, she seperated her land and Chin the Great's land. It also premeired the Rough Rhinos, which they had a great fight with Aang, Katara, and Sokka at the end of this episode. Also, I loved when Aang talked to the prisoners about "the girl" Aang likes, which is obviosely Katara. The one prisoner said "She'll like you. You have good looks, a good attitude, and not to mention you're the Avatar!" That part was really funny, I laughed until I cried. Overall, I give this episode a 9.2.
  • A pretty good Avatar episode, but not the best.

Ok so at the beggining the Gaang are at this village shopping for supplies but then this guy tells them its Avatar Day so they decide to stick around. They find out that it is a bad thing though because Avatar Kyoshi is accused of murdering the villagers tyrant leader Chin the Great. Aang is in jail while Katara and Sokka find evidence on Kyoshi Island to probe Aang's innocence. They do find good evidence, but Aang's bad explanation and the unfair coutrt system ruin it. In the end Aang, Katara, and Sokka save the village from the rough rhinos(fire benders) and now Avatar Day is a celebration of the Avatar, not a hating one. It was a pretty good episode all in all.
  • Aang, Katara, and Sokka come across a village who celebrates a day for Avatar's. They soon find out the village hates all Avatar's because the past Avatar, Kyoshi, killed their leader. Now, Aang has to try and rectify this horrible misunderstanding.

This was a cool episode. We get to meet the past earthbending Avatar, Kyoshi. She was the oldest living Avatar and was very strong. Hopefully, we will see more past Avatar's, whether they are through Aang, or in the Spirit World. Aang fought the Rough Rhinos and saved the village after they accused him of killing their leader, Chin. Sokka got his boomerang back after they left it back at camp. Aang rightfully stops the Rough Rhinos and the village learns that Kyoshi did not mean to kill Chin, and that she only wanted to save her village. She created Kyoshi Island for her people. It was a cool episode.
  • Aang and friends travel to a town that celebrates a Avatar Day. Thinking he's going to be praised, Aang finds out only too late that the Avatar Day is a day to show the town's hatred for the Avatar.

Though not really an episode that goes along in the main quest in the avatar it is an interesting episode as you learn about past avatar history and a differnet view toward the avatar in hatred other than the fire nation. Over all it could be consirded a filler episode but it is very enjoyable and though at times can appear silly it is taken over at a serious tone toward the end of the episode, showing avatar kyoshi past with conquerers and even shows death. Though not one of my favorite avatar episodes it is still enjoyable to watch.
  • This was definately a filler episode, but it was definately a good one

I like this episode a lot. It had some really cute a funny things that I liked. For example how Sokka acted like a dectective and how he had to figure everything out (when katara was about to tell a clue, sokka interupted her and was like "does the outfit mean anything to you?" and then when he anounced the clue she sarcastically said "brilliant sokka".) Anyway I just thought that was fun to watch. In addition, I also liked how they brought kyoshi into the scene because it shows what kind of a person she was like when she was alive which was pretty cool. Lastly, I thought they had some really cool moves in this as well. Ok enough said, you can watch the rest to find out more about it. :D
  • It definitely wasn't the greatest episode...

This episode was a little bit dorky if you ask me. Some of the characters expressions were incredibly exagerated, and copying Sherlock Holmes didn't prove to be as funny as I'm sure the creators had hoped to be. It took the whole fantasy out of the show. Sherlock made it a bit too....eh....American.Zuko's part was done very well, and the decision he made to leave his Uncle was definitely a great turning point for the story. Although many people would have preferred to see Zuko at least say good-bye, the scene was nearly perfect, so it's okay. The artwork was fairly good too. I've seen better, but it wasn't bad. It was just the people themselves that bugged me the most. All in all, this was an okay episode. Not the worst, but not the greatest either.
  • This episode is about a holiday that is about the avatar.

Aang Katara and Sokka discover an Earth town that celebrates something called "Avatar Day." They get there and see that the party is an anti-Avatar party, Aang is put on trial for a crime a past incarnation ( avatar Kyoshi ) committed. Looking to clear the Avatar's good name, Katara and Sokka venture back to a familiar place to get evidence and get the truth of what happened that day. My favorite part of this episode is when Katara and Sokka go to the Kyoshi island to get evidence and Sokka acts and dressed like a detective. I hope that you liked this episode a lot.
  • it was good

well aang was being punished by what the previous avatar did. avatar kyoshi killed the leader of the town so they decided it was aang's fault since it was his previous life. each year they made a hate parade for the avatars and burned floats of them, they were really rude.
  • Aang defends the honor of the Avatars of times past in Avatar Day!

One of the best things about Avatar Day is the return trip to Kyoshi Island made by Katara and Sokka to collect evidence to prove Aang is innocent. I love that the creators made Avatar Kyoshi come to life in a sense by telling her story. Fantastic! Never before have we seen the story behind the avatars of the past. This was well done in every way. I love the fact that Avatar Kyoshi is able to return through Aang to tell her own story. The most hilarious scene in this episode is when Aang consults his fellow ruffians for love advice about Katara and they quite sensitively offer him some pointers. Wonderful!
  • This was a fun episode to watch!

I just saw this episode yesterday and i was laughing so much in some of the parts that at one point, my mom came in to check that everything was ok! anyways, i rele liked this episode mainly because it was well balanced between silly and fun, and serious and exciting. although, i'm not entirely sure what significance it had because there wasn't much in it that exactly add on to the story unless there will be somthing in season three but i can't quite see that happening, really... so i liked this episode, but if you haven't seen it, dont' worry, you're not missing anything in terms of the story line, but i still recomend watching it because it was still pretty entertaining anyways.
< 1 2 3