Avatar: The Last Airbender

Avatar Day

Aired Friday 6:30 PM Apr 28, 2006 on Nickelodeon

• While I particularly enjoyed this episode, Sokka was way out of chatacter, although finally hearing Avatar Kyoshi speak after 21 episodes of knowing her was a pleasant surprise.

The plot and story of 'Avatar Day' was a good one, but I believe they made Sokka too outof character in this episode. Although I thought Katara\'s dialouge was mostly in-character, and the lines with Sokka were most certainly meant for comic relief, I still believe Sokka was too out of character for my liking.

History is one of my favorite subjects, and the history of this show is so deep and they could go so far with it. I liked how Kyoshi told of how Kyoshi Isle came about creation, as freedom from Chin the Conqueror. No wonder she has a statue in her name, and the island named after her.

In a post on another message board, I put out a theory that Avatar Kyoshi ha done something for the greater good, but hurt the town (now known as Chin), and that was somewhat right, as she separated her people from Chin the conqueror's wrath, but killed Chin in the process.

The Mayor of Chin was a little insane if you ask me. The whole part at the end "Avatar Day" will now be a celebration of how Avatar Aang saved the town of Chin..." was a bit weird and it felt rushed to me. One minute they want to kill him (or "burn him in oil") the next their making him a hero.

And "community service" didn\'t feel right to me either. I mean that's more or less a Western idea, and they couldn\'t come up with a more Asian name for it? It just didn\'t feel right.

I'll give the writers the benefit of the doubt here and give this episode a good rating. However it could have been better?

But it makes you wonder. Episode 105 was silly, episode 205 was even sillier, how will episode 305 be?