Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Avatar Risk: World Domination!--Game 3 is on-going---

Who do you think will win game 3?

_Nalesnik_

[1]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 12

Play as a Water Tribe War Chief, Earth Kingdom General, Fire Nation Commander, or Air Nomad Overseer!

Game 3 Map

Hi, I'm nalesnik, and this is a game thread that I made and designed. It's pretty much an Avatar version of the popular board game "Risk." But how can I play a board game on a forum? You may ask, well I'll tell you. I made a map of the Avatar world with Photoshop, and modified it so that I can constantly change depending on how the each player moves his pieces across the map. The basics of this game are to control land territories (which btw gain you money), buy troops, and invade enemy territories,and destroy all your enemies. So, basically this game works by players that post thier turn, saying for example, "move2 ground unit from Ba Sing Sai to Eastern Desert" And after that I will fire up my Photshop, change the map to show that player's moves, andI post the updated map here. And that's all. The complete rules of the game are listed in the 2nd post of this thread.

This time around I will host 2 gamess at the same time. Game 4 is over, and game 3 is still on-going. Feel free to watch the action unfold. IF you wish to play please, wait until this round is over, and you can apply for the round round. Thanks

"The world is your playground."

***Note: Please do not quote this entire post, cause I do not want to start huge quote pyramids!

Edited on 03/05/2008 6:54pm
    Edited 99 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

_Nalesnik_

[2]Jun 4, 2007

This is the final draft of the rules for game 3 and 4, pleaseread them over if you are going to play.

Basic Gamplay Instructions

-Turns are based on the Avatar cycle, starting with the WT, EK, FN, and lastly AN. The game starts at Year 1 at winter. The WT has the first turn during the winter, EK, has the next turn during the spring.....

-Each player starts of with 3 GUs (Ground Units) in their capital territory.

-At the beginning of a player's turn, the player collects his/her income based on the player's currently controlled land territories. Land territories that have at least one ground unit in it are considered controlled. Some special units can control land territories while others cannot, special units will be explain later. A player does not collect income from controlling water territories.

-After the income has been collected the player can choose to buy ground, naval and special units for a price. Units can only be purchased at this time only! Then players can move ground/naval/special units around the map. A player has a limit of 10 movements per turn. One turn is counted as moving 1 unit over to one adjacent territory. (Ex: this means that if a player wants to move all his/her 5 ground units from one territory to an adjacent one, it will cost 5 movements) Moving a ground unit to a neutral territory (no units in it) automatically means that that player controls that territory (and therefore receives more money at the start of turn) Moving all ground units out of a territory automatically turns it neutral.

-One territory cannot be occupied/controlled by 2 different nations. (only 1 exception to this rule, the AN Sky Bison unit can occupy any territory, this will be discussed later) This leads to the next point if one player moves some units to an enemy occupied territory, the two armies fight for that territory. The army with the highest units wins. Ex) Player one moves 2 GUs to player two's territory, which contains 3 GUs. Player two successfully defends his territory. Player one is left with no GUs, while player two is left with 1 GU. (Exceptions will be discussed in the special abilities section)

-After the player used up all his movements, or voluntarily ends his turn, the next player's turn starts.

Additional Info and Rules

Collecting Income: the income is calculated based on land territories controlled at the beginning of a player's turn.

Basic land territory= 1 gold piece (contains the smallest font)

Area of Interest= 2 gold pieces (slightly larger font)

Areas of Interest are:

-Eastern Air Temple

-Oasis

-Omashu

-Gen. Fong's Fort

-Nth. Air Temple

-Western Air Temple

-Southern Water Tribe

Nation Capitals= 3 gold pieces (big font)

Nation Capitals are the command centres of each of the four nations, if a capital is taken over, then that nation loses its special ability. (See below) The ability can be gained back by taking back the capital.

Nation Capitals are: -Northern Water Tribe

-Ba Sing Sai

-Fire Nation Capital

-Southern Air Temple

Some More Rules:

-Ground units cannot attack naval units, and vice versa.

-Ground units on board a naval unit are defenceless, and drown when the naval unit is destroyed

-When placing recently bought ground units on the map, the player can only place them on land territories already occupied by him/her. (Cannot directly place them in a naval/air unit) When placing naval units they can only place them in water territories already occupied by other friendly naval units, or in water territories that are next to a friendly controlled land territory.

-Loading ground units into a naval units uses up movements. Ex) 3 units are moved from the shore to a naval unit in the adjacent water territory. This uses up 3 movements. Loading units into the Sky Bison desn't use up any movements, but the air unit MUST be in the same territory as the ground units wanting to board.

New! Inflation System

When a nation obtains 20 land territories, then from then on, all of the unit prices for that nation are increased by +1 gold piece, at 30 territories the prices are increased by +2 gold pieces.

Basic Units List

Basic Ground Units (GU): The basic ground soldier, cheap but vital to any army. ---Cost: 2----

Basic Naval Units (NU): the basic sea-faring unit vial to any navy. Can carry up to 3 units. ----Cost: 3----

Special Units List Units unique to each nation

WT Elite Bender (EB):the most skilled of the waterbenders that can literally freeze an entire sea for 1 year. Plays exactly like a basic ground unit, but can freeze 1 water territory that they are in or an adjacent one making it inaccessible to all units except WT naval units. (Cannot freeze territories occupied by enemy players) Restriction: You can only have max of 6 EB units on the map. And 1 EB can only freeze 1 water territory. The freezing effect lasts 1 year (can use this ability while on naval unit, or from the shore) (These units are always the last to be attacked in a battle).----Cost: 4----

WT BloodBender (BB): A once secret and forbidden technique, bloodbending allows the user to literally control another human being. Only a few exceptional waterbending masters can perform this technique and only under a full moon. A WT BloodBender acts like a normal GU, except it can take control of 1 enemy GU that is in an adjacent territory. The controlled GU can move freely between WT territories and that enemy's territories, and can attack any enemy. (This does use up movements) If the controlled unit does not attack anyone at the end of your turn, the control of that unit is resumed to its previous owner. This ability can only be used every 3 years, (Year 3, 6, 9, 13, 15 etc) Restriction: You can only have a max of 4 BB units on the map. And 1 BB can only control 1 GU every 3rd year. (BB units cannot control special units! Only GUs!!) ---Cost: 5---

EK Badger Mole (BM): tame badger moles have the ability to dig under ground, allowing EK ground units to move quickly. A badger mole in a party (ground units that are in the same territory as the mole) allows those units to move 2 times per movement. Restriction: Cannot dig underneath water territories. (This ground unit cannot attack, but can defend) (These units are always the last to be attacked in a battle) ----Cost: 4----

EK Dai Lee (DL): an elite group of intimidating earthbenders that can create landslides, and huge walls stopping any advancing army dead in their tracks. This unit acts exactly like a basic GU, except it can bury a land territory adjacent to them with rocks, and earth walls, thereby stopping the units in the targeted territory. The units in the targeted territory cannot move out of it, but units can be moved into it. (Units can be moved in to that territory to reinforce it, to attack it, etc) Restriction: You can only have a max of 6 DL units on the map. And 1 DL can bury 1 territory The Buried effect lasts 1 year---Cost: 4---

FN Warship (WS) : a technologically advanced warship that can take on 2 naval vessels. One warship is the equivalent of 2 basic naval units. Ex) 1 Warship attacks 3 WT boats. WT successfully defends the territory with 1 WT boat left. Can carry up to 6 units. Restriction: Can attack at most only 2 times! Meaning when 1 WS attack 1 NU, the warship takes damage, but is NOT destroyed. But when the warship attacks a second time (ex. that WS attacks 1 NU), then the warship is now destroyed.----Cost: 5----

FN Fire Master (FM) : The most skilled firebenders that are able to produce intense flames and temporarily scar the earth. Plays exactly like a normal GU unit, but it can scorch any neutral territory. A scorched territory in inaccessible to ALL units. (Meaning no one can control that territory) Restriction: You can only have max of 6 FM units on the map. And 1 FM can scorch 1 land territory. The scorched effect last 1 year. After 1 year, the territory can be controlled once again, but it will only give ½ of its original gold pieces, this secondary scorched effect last 1 year also. (this means that it's possible to collect ½ of a gold piece) ---Cost: 4---

AN Sky Bison (SB) : a tame sky bison can soar high above land and sea safely carrying passengers. An invulnerable unit (cannot be attacked by any unit) that can occupy any land or water territory. Can carry up to 2 units. Restriction: the unit cannot control land territories (and therefore doesn't receive money if the unit is on land territory), and it cannot attack/defend. Cannot occupy scorched lands, or frozen waters. Also the unit is affected by the Dai Li's special ability. ----Cost: 4----

AN Whirlwind Master (WM): the most skilled airbenders can create huge whirlwinds that can pinpoint enemy troops and blow them hundreds of kilometres away. Plays exactly like a normal GU unit, but when the WM unit is next to an enemy controlled territory, it can move 1 enemy unit away to either an adjacent neutral or enemy-controlled territory. (Hint: There is no possible way to kill a unit using just the whirlwind ability) Restriction: You can only have a max of 6 WM units on the map, And 1 WM can whirlwind away 1 land-based enemy unit. (Cannot whirlwind away the Avatar) ----Cost:4----

Important NOTE: The BB, FM, DL, WM units cannot use thier abilitieswhile on board an NU/SB or nay other transport. ALso thier abilitiescannot be usedon enemy NU/SB or any other transport. (The EB unit is the only exception, it CAN use its ability while on board an NU)

Special Abilities: unique to each nation, but remember: the ability is removed from play when the capital is lost.

WT quick boats: the WT expert sea-faring skills, and waterbending propelled boats make them the quickest units on the water. All WT naval units can move 2 times per movement.

EK solid defence: the EK earthbending skills allows them to defend key locations more easily. When EK controls an area of intrest, that territory cannot be attack unless the attacking army has at least 2 units more than the defending EK army. And for Ba Sing Sai, the attacking army has to have at least 3 more units.

FN Industrial Spirit: The determined and industrialized nation of fire have superior work ethics, and technology allowing them to extract more resources more efficiently from land territories. Every 4rd year, the FN's will collect x1.33 times more gold pieces than normal (rounded off to the nearest whole number). So this will happen only in year 4, 8, 12, 16 etc... Ex) Year 6, normally collect: 10, but with special ability you collect: 13

AN Airbending Sprint: The quick and evasive AN airbenders are able to manipulate the air currents around them, allowingthem move at incredible speeds, and preform more evasive maneouvers. The AN playeris allowed13 movements per turn (all other nations have only 10 movements)

Special Avatar Unit: The Avatar, master of all 4 elements, is a powerful peacekeeper and a ferocious force to be reckon with.

The avatar unit is cycled throughout the 4 nations, starting with the WT, then, EK, FN, AN, repeat.

The unit doesn't cost anything. Players automatically get it when it reincarnates into their nation. If the unit is not used during that turn, the unit automatically reincarnates into the next nation.

This unit can be placed on the map in only 2 modes:

Peacekeeper state: The Avatar is an expert negotiator, and safeguards lands from attack. The unit is placed on any friendly land territory, and the territory and all units on it are protected from attack for 2 years. (It cannot move at all in those 2 years) If the territory is attacked, then the entire attacking army is automatically destroyed. (This includes the Sky Bison unit) After the 2 years are up, the unit dies and is reincarnated.

Avatar State's Rage: The Avatar is triggered into the Avatar State, and unleashes an awesome display of fury, and power. The unit moves like a ground unit, but can only attack once. But when it attacks a land territory it automatically destroys all units in that territory. After its attack, it dies and is reincarnated. If the player doesn't use the avatar unit to attack in that turn, the unit still dies. (Meaning you cannot "save" the unit in this unit, but keeping him from attacking. This mode is designed to be used only in that one turn)

Note1: the Avatar unit cannot be switched back and forth between the 2 modes.

Note2: this unit will debut in the game at Year 4, Winter

Changes made to Rules:

-Inflation system: when a nation controls 20 land territories (instead of 25) all unit prices go up +1

-WT Elite Bender: max of 6 of these units on the map.

-WT Marked Warrior: unit scraped, replaced with WT BloodBender (read unit description for full details)

-EK Badger Mole can now defend.

-Ek Dai Lee: max of 6 of these units on the map.

-FN Warship: lowered it's defending capabilities a bit. (read unit description for all the details) Also can now carry up to 6 units instead of just 5.

-AN Sky Bison: now costs 4 instead of 5 gold.

-AN Spiritual Elder: unit scraped, replaced with AN Whirlwind Master (see unit description for full details)

-Avatar unit can now only be placed at the beginning of one's turn, just like any other unit. Also this unit can now use NU, SB, BM etc to travel around when in Avatar State's Rage mode.

-FN ability: Napalm Strike scraped, replaced with FN Industrial Spirit (read unit description for full details)

FN Komdo Rider: scrped unit, now replaced with FN Fire Master, including a secondary scorched effect! (read unit description for full details)

Edited on 11/05/2007 7:09pm
    Edited 13 total times.

_Nalesnik_

[3]Jun 4, 2007

Post Reserved until further Notice.

Edited on 12/03/2007 2:42pm
    Edited 9 total times.

Miroku_of_Nite1

[4]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 17
    Name: Comrade Miroku

Nation you want: Fire Nation

How often are you on the Avatar forum: Pretty often. Mainly between 7:40 AM to 9:40 AM then from 6:00 to 10:00 PM. Days off I have more time.

Short reason why you want to play: I always enjoyed playing military games, and plotting strategies.

_Nalesnik_

[5]Jun 4, 2007
    great audition mirokuofnite, I see u on this forum pretty frequently, and I know from ur posts that u would be a excellent competitor. U stand a pretty good chance right now

Be sure to read the additonal info(2nd post) once it is updated for the really fun stuff, also be sure to check the announcment's section from time to time (3rd post)

FMA102

[6]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 10
    Too bad I don't have the patience, otherwise I'd be love to be apart of this and "pwn newbz".

Miroku_of_Nite1

[7]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 17
    I'll be sure to check into the updates. But now I got to get ready for work. But if it is updated before 10:40 PM tonight I will read it. If not then I will when it is updated.

_Nalesnik_

[8]Jun 4, 2007
    FMA102 wrote:
    Too bad I don't have the patience, otherwise I'd be love to be apart of this and "pwn newbz".

Your welcome to try out, if you ever change your mind.

electricblue18

[9]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 7
    Name: Just call me Blue.

Nation you want: Water Tribe

How often are you on the Avatar forum: Every day, just don't comment that much.

Short reason why you want to play: Have always loved military tactics and controlling my own nation in strategic games, like Risk, Age of Empires, and Empire Earth. Also love Civilization 3 and 4 and playing it for hours at a time. ^_^

FMA102

[10]Jun 4, 2007

Name: Eff Emm Ehhhhh One Oh Too.

Faction you want: Earth Kingdom I guess.

Reasons: It'll give me something to do while I'm at work. Ironic isn't it! Oh and I've always loved a good strategy/RTS game.

Edited on 06/04/2007 10:47pm

C1991

[11]Jun 5, 2007
    • level: 13

Name: Chad

Nation you want: EK

How often are you on the Avatar forum: Like every day, except saturday and sunday

Short reason why you want to play: I like war games... and I have a machete *hint-hint*

Edited on 06/05/2007 5:50am

panthean

[12]Jun 5, 2007
    • level: 9
    Name: Bond.... James Bond

Faction: FN

Reason: Tired of waiting on the slow ppls at the RPG thread, I need something fast paced.... I mean hopefully we get like 20 turns in a single day.

I'm always on, except for when I'm in bed, eating, skating, doing chores, or am not allowed on my computer. I'll visit this thread every half hour at the least(unless no1 has posted anything new), withy the exception of the above things. I skate on Fridays, and Saturdays. Lately I've beengoing to the pool alot also.

Am I chief for being first FN?

newworldman11

[13]Jun 5, 2007
    • level: 11

Name: Shing La ( Don't ask, Its getting annoying)

Nation I want:Earth Nation

How often I'm on the forums: Trusst me, I'm on whenever I've got the time, which is a lot. Most of the day actually.

Short Reason why: Risk is one of my favorite games, and I'm good at it. Also I can think up amazing strategies if I concentrate, but thats sort of rare . Jk. But I actually go to battle reinactments all the time and I always watch shows about famous battles and such on the History channel.

Edited on 06/14/2007 7:56pm
    Edited 3 total times.

KingAtticus

[14]Jun 5, 2007
    Name: Atticus

Nation I want: Earth Kingdom

How often am I on the forums: Quite often

Short reason why: No particular reason. I just figured it'd be fun.

ruggedwonders

[15]Jun 5, 2007

Name: just call me Tetsusaiga

nation I want: Air Nomads

How often I am on the forums: Everyday, or whenever the computer is open. (I have seizures, so I have to limit my computer time, ok?) But once I start working (if they ever call me, grrr) I will have limited time and I will be on only in the afternoons.

Short reason why: I need something to take my mind off of my best friend/crush. And my impending job. No stress. *deep breath out*

I'm stressed a bit. hehe. My sister's in from Georgia and I'm smaller than her, and our crazy new neighbors are revving motors, heck YEAH I'm stressed!!

*I have taken so many tests to figure out what nation I belong in and it always comes to be the Air Nomads!! But I will take Fire Nation as a second choice, if Air Nomads is taken up, cuz I am a perfectionist like Azula and Zuko and I always feel like I have fire coming out of my ears*

Edited on 06/05/2007 10:55am

tomtitan

[16]Jun 5, 2007
    • level: 19

nice idea for a game, risk is so fun! and very very good map (with the exception of the fact that you missed the batola mountain range near the southern air temple, but never mind!)

name: tomtitan

nation: FN

why i wanna play: i just think it wil be fun, i'm on once a day for bout an hour @ like 7 (greenwich mean time, (that means uk)) and i like risk and age of mythology, but seriously, i don't really mind, i'd be happy just watching other people too, if i'm playin, added bonus!

Edited on 06/05/2007 1:55pm

_Nalesnik_

[17]Jun 5, 2007
    Attention! TO everyone who picked the Air Nomads as thier nation. The first post clearly states that the position of the AN Overseer is already taken by me. (Sorry, I wanna play too) If you still wish to play, you have to change your nation choice to another one.

tomtitan wrote:
    (with the exception of the fact that you missed the patola mountain range near the southern air temple, but never mind!)

*in Gary Coleman voice*

"Watchu talkin bout Willis"

KingAtticus

[18]Jun 5, 2007
    tomtitan wrote:

nice idea for a game, risk is so fun! and very very good map (with the exception of the fact that you missed the patola mountain range near the southern air temple, but never mind!)

why i wanna play: i just think it wil be fun, i'm on once a day for bout an hour @ like 7 (greenwich mean time, (that means uk)) and i like risk and age of mythology, but seriously, i don't really mind, i'd be happy just watching other people too, if i'm playin, added bonus!

But why Greenwich? Shouldn't it have made sense to center the international standard of time in London since it is the capital of the UK and was the center of not only the British Empire, but also the economic world of the 19th century?

tomtitan

[19]Jun 5, 2007

_Nalesnik_ wrote:
    Attention! TO everyone who picked the Air Nomads as thier nation. The first post clearly states that the position of the AN Overseer is already taken by me. (Sorry, I wanna play too) If you still wish to play, you have to change your nation choice to another one.
    tomtitan wrote:
    (with the exception of the fact that you missed the batola mountain range near the southern air temple, but never mind!)
    *in Gary Coleman voice* "Watchu talkin bout Willis"

(Pan shot of Appa swooping towards the now much closer mountains, followed by another close up of Aang and the group.)

Aang: The Batola mountain range! We're almost there!

Aang: There it is... the Southern Air Temple.
    Katara: Aang, it's amazing!
    Aang: (to Appa) We're home, buddy. We're home

that's what i'm talkin' 'bout! (straight from asn) the batola mountain range is where the southern temple is 

tomtitan

[20]Jun 5, 2007
    KingAtticus wrote:
    tomtitan wrote:

nice idea for a game, risk is so fun! and very very good map (with the exception of the fact that you missed the patola mountain range near the southern air temple, but never mind!)

But why Greenwich? Shouldn't it have made sense to center the international standard of time in London since it is the capital of the UK and was the center of not only the British Empire, but also the economic world of the 19th century?

greenwich is in london...