Avatar: The Last Airbender

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Miroku_of_Nite1

Avatar: The Last Airbender Fan Reviews page 5 of 73

• Definetely one of the best, most thought-out, and just brilliant cartoons on the planet.

When I first saw the commercials for Avatar, I thought, "Oh, here we go again, another American Anime..." I hate anime. But this show from the moment I turned it on, midway through the first episode, I realized that this could be a promising show. And I was completely right. The show combined slapstick humor with intense action, engrossing romance, and a storyline that left me wanting more. After the end of the show, I was immensely sorrow. Now with a live-action movie coming out, I see that the show was a marvel that will definetely rival huge programs such as Spongebob Squarepants and will go down as one of the greatest cartoons of our time. Animation: 8/10 A little choppy in small places, but overall great
    Music: 9.5/10 (Loved the intense drum beats)
    Story: 11/10 Definetely one of the best stories in a cartoon
    Characters: 9.5/10 From laid-back Sokka, to never-rest Zuko, all the characters shine
    Overall: 10/10
  • Avatar was a great show, until season 3.

Avatar was show that captured my eyes and my heart. I was amazed when Nicklodeon picked up this show, because It was not like the typical Nick shows. This show is about a boy who isn't sure if he wants to follow his destiny and is overwhelmed by the responsibility given to him. From the Boy In The Iceberg to Ba Sing Se, the show is an amazing adventure. The animation is beautiful and the character are very Three Dimesional. After seaosn 2, I couldn't wait for season 3 and after I saw the season 3 trailer, my patient really wore thin. But after watching season 3 I was disappointed, everything seemed to be toned down, went to fast, and had less serious episode. Despite, the less than steller third season, Avatar is great show, that I believe many will enjoy.
  • Best show ever! The characters are awesome.Avatar is number one!This is all i can say! :D

The best show ever! Most of my favourite anime and cartoon were beaten! Avatar is number one!! Favourite all time.The best episode's are..Almost every episode's,Usually the exciting episodes are when Sokka is Joking around and when Toph is around, there are no disappointment.The ending is awesome! I said it once more The ending is awesome! The storyline is cool, episodes after episodes doesn't disappoint me, for real.Chinese martials are magnificent.Especially Earth Bending.I just don't know what to say anymore!Just awesome!The inside avatar world sight is so calm,It make's my mind relax by just watching it. And the other characters are also the one who makes Avatar an exciting show.Damn! I don't what's this feeling inside me.(I think im sick)
  • One of the best t.v. shows ever in my opinion.

This is not only one of my favorite animated series ever, it is one of my favorite t.v. shows ever. Why? The writing is so intelligent, the characters so interesting and multi-dimensional. Right off the bat you get the sense that Zuko, one of the villains, is actually quite tortured and morally conflicted, and that there's much more to his tea-obsessed chubby uncle than meets the eye. Likewise the "good guys," even Aang, have their weak and dark moments and have to work through emotions like jealousy, rage, distrust and fear. I remember pausing the show once and realizing that in the frame were a disfigured boy (Zuko), a disabled boy in a wheelchair, and a blind girl--all powerful, skilled and smart characters, so much so that I really didn't notice that the show was no doubt intentionally giving some of its characters challenges of this sort. Nice touch! Also lending depth to the show are the shamanic and eastern spiritual motifs: the parallelism of the elements--the "meta-bending" skills of metal bending, blood bending, lightning bending and spirit bending, the chakra lesson Aang receives, the spiritworld sojourns. Most of all I loved the mirrored journeys of Aang and Zuko, that eventually (inevitably) converge. The message of the show, in my mind, is: trust your power, follow your heart, and listen to your conscience, no matter what. When that message is delivered through an epic that also delivers imagination, humor, drama, and romance, you have a true classic. I know I'll want to watch the whole series again in a year or two, and certainly once more when I have kids. Looking forward to the new show set in the same universe. Cheers to the makers of Avatar: The Last Air Bender: Thanks for both the entertainment and the inspiration.
  • the show was great at first but...

6.7
    Ok i liked this show a lot not so long ago but it was gone to long when it came back i was all..."...uhh...what happen last time why dose ang have hair?why are they in the middle of fire nation?"so i was all confesed in when i tryed to under stand it i got all confesed - _ - i like this show but it's like it was gone for two years...Or was it...?anyway if it wasnt gone for so long i would of liked it but i do like the old episodes because i know them anyway(agian) it's cool but not great
  • Saved Nickelodeon

This show is the best Americanized Anime ever. Back in 05 I thought this show was going to be a piece of crap (Because back in 05 Nickelodeon was going extremely downhill). I then gave it a try and saw the 1 hour premiere on Feb 05 since I don't judge the book by the cover, then I kept on watching new eps every Friday and I was amazed. The plot/storyline is amazing, the animation is better then all of the past Nicktoons, and the character development is amazing. Each season got better and better. The series if full of twist (Especially in Book 3), and excitement. Unlike most Series finals THIS one was actually good, and I liked the fact that it was a 2 hour premiere instead of a half-hour premiere. This cartoon is the best.
  • Like most shows, Avatar The Last Airbender, was my favorite, in fact, it still is. Lots, of action, Comedy, Fantasy, and Romance. Too bad, the series had too end. But it was a great series.

Avatar The Last Airbender, is a story about Aang, a 12 year old boy, Who is the last of his kind, Aang is an Airbender, and also the Avatar, destined to save the world, from the fire nation. However defeating the fire nation will not be easy. Aang will first have to master all four elements. Water, Earth, Fire, and Air. However, it will take more then power, to win. Aang has made many friends over his journey, Sokka, and Kitara. Together, the face many difficult challenges. And have pulled through, in the end. A Great Show, and one of my favorites. And I'm looking forward to the live action movie, that will release in 2010.
  • If I tried to summarize my thoughts about this show, I'd probably understate how awesome it is.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is more than a cartoon. No, it isn't a cartoon at all. In my opinion, that word is mostly used negatively. "Looney Tunes" is a cartoon. "SpongeBob Squarepants" is a cartoon. "Avatar" is NOT a cartoon. It is an epic saga of extreme proportions, one with drama, over-the-top action, mystical powers, adventure, and spunk-- plus, it just HAPPENS to be made by Nickelodeon. During its lifetime, Nickelodeon has been mostly known for making "cartoons"-- animated TV shows focused towards younger viewers, and ones that don't normally have extended, ongoing storylines. Avatar, however, manages to take all of that and turn it upside-down. Not only does this show have a good story, it also has excellent animation, based on the fighting styles of actual martial artists. The show's characters develop reallistically, and interact in ways that are both intriguing and funny. The conflicts that these characters go through and how they handle them is so expertly portrayed by the writers and voice actors that you begin to make a connection with them. To be honest, if I had a choice of watching either this or "LOST", I'd be watching Avatar. Since the storyline is so long and complex, there wouldn't really be any point in me trying to explain it. Just know that it involves the fate of the world. Any questions? I thought not. So go watch it, NOW.
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender. Reclaimer of Nickelodeon's shoddy reputation.

Nickelodeon has a knack for throwing out incredibly popular shows out now and again. These are what have stopped the long running TV Network from going liquid. Spongebob Squarepants entertained kids by the hundreds of thousands and yet still managed to the adults a quick giggle as well. Fairly Odd Parents managed to even steer the incredibly difficult Teen Sector towards cartoons; a light Disney Channel only saw once (Phineas & Ferb), and Cartoon Network has yet to see. The financial summary of the show can be explained in one quick sentence: Whoever told Michael Dante Dimartino & Bryan Konietzko to create this show should be given final payday that'll take even the biggest spender a lifetime to drain. Honestly, this show couldn't get better even if it tried, the only bad point about it is that it stopped.

In a world rooted in ancient Chinese philosophies, music and culture, Avatar: The Last Airbender follows the adventures of a young boy Aang who is the Avatar; A being of supreme power as he is the only person in the world who can control all of the 4 Elements: Air, Water, Earth & Fire. The show explains that he was frozen in an iceberg for 100 years during which time the Fire Nation (The nation who's natural element is fire)have waged all out war on the rest of the world to prove that fire is the best of the elements. But he never would have got out if it wasn't for Katara and Sokka: Two teenagers from the Southern Water Tribe who discovered the Avatar frozen in an iceberg. On the path to mastering the other 3 Elements (Aang is an airbender), the group must constantly evade the attacks of Crown Prince Zuko. A complicated individual who hunts the Avatar in order to lift his banishment, along with his comedic uncle Iroh, probably best described as Zuko's conscience. As viewers will find out during the series, Zuko's alliances are not always set in stone. Along, the way Aang and his little group (Nicknamed "Team Avatar" by Sokka) juggle all important avatar training with helping locals fight off the Fire Nation. What separates this show with all others in it's class is that it attracts all audiences. Adults and Children alike have something to like about the show. The quick witted humour and powerful action sequences attract the children, and mature themes (such as love interests, conflicts of heart and closeness of the group) attract the adults.

If opinions don't make you want to watch this show, then numbers might. The show averaged around 3.6 million views for each episode, and 5.9 million for the finale.

If you want my honest opinion WATCH THIS SHOW.
  • huge and wildy popular enertaing show

avatar the last airbender was huge show when it came on in 2005. it was about anang the last avatar he controlled all the elements each tribe cold control a diffrent element but the avatar had the power of all of them the basics earth win fire and water. it was cool the way they used the elements could make the water rise shoot fire and could control fire from diffrent parts like with all the elements and cold make bolders and the ground rise and the water could shoot out water and could make the ocens rise and diffrent thing he travled with kataria and her brother the two of them had to help anang on quest master the elements and to stop the fire nation.
  • The quest to redeem and save the world through personal sacrifice. The Avatar must save his people and redeem himself as a hero.

A cartoon that brings back some of the nobility that cartoons once had that really can only be seen in video games now. It has themes of courage and personal strength that run much deeper than physical prowess or attitude. With perhaps too childish a presentation for me it still reminds me of the noble nature that I like coupled with a stong sense of the everyman rising up to become great.

Being not young I feel guilty watching Nickelodeon for this show sometimes (along with Spongebob), but I don't want to stop. It has more substance to it than many of the more popular and mainstream cartoons, and I find it more entertaining than many sitcoms or reality shows.

If you are looking for a classic fantasy story that would lend itself perfectly to a role playing game then look no further.
  • whoa

Avatar is the first American show to grab my attention in a LONG time. I am hooked on this show - the plot, the characters. It is beautifully animated, and everything about it is so interesting. My only gripe is the bad writing at times, but overall - I am hooked and look forward to the development of the characters and how the plot reaches fruition. This is a very very good cartoon, but I reccomend watching it chronologically to get a better understanding of it. As by accident you may see one of the more childish episodes. But trust me, what we have here is a gem, especially considering it's on Nickelodeon.
  • Wish it never ended.

I love this show so much. It just wasn't meant to end. Even though the series is over and has been a long time, I still watch episodes 24-7 (it's kind of sad) I'd have to say that my favorite aspect of A:TLA is how it's such a good blend of action and emotion. I didn't become a fan until after it ended and would watch episodes on tv every now and then. It's confusing if you just jump into it, but to start in the beginning and watch it all the way through like I did makes it the most well put together show on Nickelodeon. I'd go back and watch the entire thing over again in a heartbeat.
  • Avatar : A great series" In a world where there are four elements, and masters of each elements called benders, the fire nation decides to invade when the last Avatar (the one who masters 4 elements) dies, starting by killing all Airbenders

Avatar : A great show"

The idea of four elements is used here in a very interesting way, each having specific properties, that also shape the cultures of each tribe. The story of the avatars is also an interesting one.

The characters help a lot to the development of the main characters. The story arch, develops nicely among the 3 books, with some nice pauses to tell side stories. Yet there are a few episodes that are kind of slow like "The swamp".
    Also a great comic relief in each episode. That has become more comic since book 2 on between Sokka and Toph.
    Voice of characters is good too, and helps a lot to give more depth to the personality of each character, like Katara and the sweet but hard voice helps to her maternal personality, Or the anxious Zukko voice helps with his down and angry personality.
  • In response to the review posted by BSirum on 27 August, I think you're being a bit hard on Nick. I noted this week that they have started to air Avatar with a 'Mature Themes' warning.

I'm not sure exactly what content prompted them to add this warning, when they are airing the show at 9am where I am, but we're still getting regular new episodes every Saturday am. Although I do agree that there was a huge gap and a long wait for the new Book 3 episodes. We did get intermittent repeats of old episodes in the meantime, but they didn't seem to have a regular schedule.
    Have you noticed a distinct change in the language, theme and tone of the new episodes? Although I still love the show, I do note that it has taken on a more mature tone, and this may be the reason that Nickelodeon has chosen to move the show to a different time slot, or cancel it in some markets altogether. As I mentioned before, we now see it with 'Mature Content' warning, so I'm glad that I TiVo it, and then watch it with my kids afterwards. That way, if I think anything is inappropriate, I can turn the episode off.
  • Introduced me to drama television - animated drama television!

Avatar is, in a few words: brilliant, amazing, and intriguing. Why? Because this anime-action-drama-comedy is packed with great animation, captivating stories and light-hearted humor. Avatar has a continuous storyline that moves on episode after episode, instead of episodes that stand by themselves. The characters are entertaining and interesting to watch, and the premise of the show itself is original and thought-provoking

The characters really drive the show from storyline to storyline. The hero, Aang, is fun and light-hearted, and the way he grows as a person and avatar are interesting. Katara provides a more stable character and Sokka works as a comic relief. Zuko is one of the most complex characters, constantly switching alliances and bonding with his uncle. My favorite character has to be the ruthless Azula, a raging sociopath who has a dark and sadistic personality.

While some of the episodes may seem boring or unnecessary, most provide an exciting viewing experience. The whole show doesn't deteriorate, it stays excellent consistenty thoughout. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed all three seasons of Avatar: The Last Airbender.
  • Where would I start?

Avatar the Last Airbender looks like a show that are for kids 10 and under. Think again. There's no way its that kind of show. Avatar is packed with everything there is to love in a show, drama, action, comedy, romance, you get what I'm trying to say. I'm not sure why, but this is the show that I'll never be able to forget. I am so sad that the producers ended this show just after Book 3: Fire. This show could have been as good as Lost or any other show that had like 5 seasons. I'm sad to see this show go on air and off so quickly, I've known many people, (not just kids) who said that they loved this show and if I were the producers, I would make another 2 seasons at least.
  • Didnt start that great, probably will end a lot worse.

This show is REALLY kiddy. I like seeing it as Teen Titans for younger people. I mean, I really dislike Nick, but this show isnt even the best (action show) on the networrk. Danny Phantom is alot better. The plot is really bad, I takes to long to understand. A lot of my friends really like this show, but I do not understand why. The characters are unoriginal, the villianous mood is not that tempting, and most of the characters are really like today's kids, not like kids in the time era of that show. In conclusion, do not watch this show. Just change it.
  • This is probably the worst of the anime wanna-bes.

Like no one has ever made a show where people had elements as powers. This guy is also bad at animating, they're not good with making it move because the people are constantly freezing up in one place where all they're trying to just turn around. Another aspect is lack of comedy, without it, it makes the show very long and borring. There's not too many fight sceenes supprisingly for an action show when they mostly just talk and go from island to island and taking a long time to find out how to find one element to bend. In other words, a slow not-as-actionpacked-as-it-should-be action show that is long and boring.
  • it's ok

6.3
    i kinda don't really get it but i still gave it a good score so i guess it'll stay on my fave shows section.I haven't seen much and known much about this show but i'll keep 6.3 as the offical avatar score by rksexy2finger which will be me of corse.
  • They call this Anime!?

1.6
    Yeah, you thought of this pile of junk? Like I said, this is the cheesiest Anime I've ever seen. Well, whoever thought of this probably has no experience with Anime. I mean look at that junky anime art!

A good example of Anime is Inuyasha. It became pretty successful. Now, Avatar on the other hand, is a bit successful but no Anime whatsoever.

In my opinion, Nick should never have broadcast Avatar. I agree with a certain user that maybe they should have put this show on Cartoon Network. But they shouldn't classify this Anime wanna-be as good as other Anime shows.
  • Avatar is one of the finest examples of Television Programming that I have ever seen. It improves every season! This is one of the few shows that I would excitedly wait each week for the new episode.

Avatar is MY favorite PROGRAM, not just animated show. It has amazing characters, the script is flawless, OUTSTANDING backgrounds and art, and a beautiful music score. Most other shows cannot come into comparison with this one... The bending is handled very nicely, and looks very clean on the screen. The final Agni Kai was beautifully animated with a great musical score. The second season in my opinion is the best. Azula, Ty Lee, Katara, Aang, Zuko, and Toph are my favorite characters. Anyways, I just absolutely love this fantastic show!

Overall, this is an amazing show! :D

By: SangoFan22, from tv.com
  • The only flaw I found, was that it wasn't long enough

While I do agree that all good things must come to an end, I also agree that all good things must be enjoyed to the fullest. I still can't believe that I didn't watch Avatar the first year it premiered, and now that it's over, I'm still not ready to let go. Avatar's Finale was spectacular and no doubt lived up to it's hype, Yet it still managed to leave a few loose ends. I don't think I need to mention which of these threads I'm referring to, as mostly Avatar fans will read this. But I do think I speak for every fan when I say, "Long live the Avatar."
  • I have to say that this show is not that good.In the begining I watched it.And I liked it! I happly waited for the next with joy.All of the sudden,it stoped.I missed an episod and when I saw it,it was bad!So sorry to say but this isnt my fav show.

1.3
  • It's about a young boy, named Aang, who is known as The Avatar. In this world there are four different kinds of bending(or special abilities). Water, Fire, Earth, and Air. The Avatar(master of all bendings) is said to be able to create peace between the n

It's a really good show. It's obviously for younger viewers but I enjoy it for it's simplicity. Aang and his friends have a lot of cool adventures but it gets kinda slow at times. It tries to teach a lot of life lessons which goes along with the "for younger viewers". But Aang's honest and naive look on the world is kind of refreshing.
  • the show avatar is great showing the journey of aang the airbender i would give it this score because it techniclly is not an anime from japan but people claim it is so it is overhyped

5.5
    this show is a great and very accurate in its fighting styles but having a twist to them they manipulate elements it seemed a little dbz/fma ish but the journey and the characters tottaly unique showing two characters the once exiled prince zuko and the very last airbender anng who journys with two eskemos basicly one who yells and thrashes his sword around while the other one can manipulate water and just to balance it out between peppy jumpy and motherly they throw a earthbender into the mix, yes you guessed it the serious one highly predictable in its balance scince this tatic has been used before by other well known shows and movies it is a good tatic but now i would guess thyere going to have a firebender travel with this seemingly strange faimly
  • This show is so new and different there's no way someone could possibly dislike it!

I've always liked characters with powers and stuff, like witches and vampires. But those creatures are nothing compared to Avatar: The Last Airbender characters! This show is so different and awesome, it even makes me wish I was an airbender!! And, not only is it fun to watch, every episode has an extremely different adventure from the others, but it's funny too! I just love it when Sokka makes those comments, and when he's the one that keeps getting hit all the time, like, if they throw a rock, you can bet $100 that he'll get hit in the forehead!! Take it from me, I love to watch cartoons, and I'm 17 (shhh), THIS SHOW ROCKS!!
  • Avatar: the Last Airbender was one of Nickelodeon's first shows to incorporate an Eastern style and proved to be successful. The story is about a young boy Aang who was locked in ice for 100 years and in a midst of a war he has to save the world.

2.5
    Okay, so I really wanted to see how an anime style cartoon would do on Nickelodeon so I turned it on a few times. The story between the four warring countries and the Avatar (Aang) saving the world was mildly interesting, not really an original scenario, but originality hasn't been Nickelodeon's specialty recently (I think we've seen enough horrible Rugrats spinoffs, Fairly Odd Parents movies, etc. ).

Recognizing the cake around the doughnut instead of the hole in the middle, I really found the artwork beautiful, especially the environments, almost resembling a Dali piece crossed with a Hikushima piece. The production quality of the show was well done and very pretty, excluding a few CGI glitches. The voice acting was superb, better than some anime series I've watched.

On the downside, the story was incredibly linear and dry in contrast to how pretty the show appeared. The four warring states and "bending" styles could all be traced to animes like Naruto; very unoriginal. It seemed to parody animes, I wasn't too happy how it did. The story winds down quickly and you'll be bored out of your mind after three episodes. Please, this sounds like something an eight-year-old would think of, don't watch it if you like very complex storylines, it just in dry. All style, no substance.
  • This show really sucks.Plot,characters all Boring!

I always hated anime so istill decided to give it a chance and of course like all other japanese like cartoons this one sucks too.I hate it its so stupid an dboring i cant finish an episode without yawning or complaining at least once.

Even other crapy shows that nick has out there is better than this.Where r the good ol wild thornberry,rugrats,arnold,etc... classic days? Now those shows deserved an emmy they rocked.Now cartoons are starting to suck all.
  • Very Boring!

Common now, some little annoying kid going around kicking everyones behind. Yeah right, give me a break will ya. This is a pointless show, cause he rides creatures that aren't very cool at all, and he's just some kid. The point of the story also is very good, it's just puts no real interest in things. I can understand monsters and crazy animal, but the animals and monsters drawn in that show are boring, the artists are bad, or whoever thought of that doesn't have much of imagination. They use penguins and just add an extra wing, that make it boring!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10