Avatar: The Last Airbender

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Miroku_of_Nite1

Avatar: The Last Airbender Fan Reviews (2186)

• By Far the Best Cartoon/Anime show ever made

I give this a 10/10 because i cant imagine how it could be made better and still entertain kids AND adults.

I read some of the other reviews here and the most what i wanna say is already said so i am just gonna point out some things about the amazing characters in this fucking amazing show.

AND Yes SPOILER ALART

When i recently watched the show a second time i just fucking adored every scene where azual was in. When she first appears she is just a villian who seems like she is just evil and cruel. She never does something stupid in the second season and she never does something which doesnt fit to her. She is always winning the situation and it makes so much fun watching her just being herself. Though later on in the third season she changes, or maybe you could call it she Progresses in some kind of way, we already got to know her better through flashbacks from soku and spread information but when it all come to the end, the character just makes the next logical step and she gets just freaking insane.

But befor that we have one of the, in my opionion, best episodes from season 3, "the beach" episode. This Episodes kinda shows us how it could be if there would never have been a war or would it would be like if they werent the freaking children of the firelord, speaking of soku and azula at this point. In this episode they kinda seem to like each other and they look like they are really brother and sister. and you almost which like soku would just stay on their side, because it some kind of way it fits and it some kind of way you want that to see more of that. At least i wanted. With a love for realistic and cruel fantasy/scify storys i would have also liked a bad ending of all of this, of course it would make you cry even more at the end, but how freaking cool would it have it been if just soku and azula stand beside ozai over the burned Country of the earthkingdom? dont tell me that wouldnt be kinda awesome.

But back to her character progression, she gets insane. Not like fire lord ozai, who seems confident in what he is doing until the end, she turns from a logicial though radically thinking person to shadow of herself, just lead by misstrust and fear that she could loose her power or get betrayed again. Of course caused by the betray of ty lee and mai. And this logical progression just made me adore her even more, it makes so much sense, she always has been mentaly unstable and after she got betrayed by the only persons who, she thought, she could trust, she gets driven insane by misstrust and fear. I still shivers me thinking of the scene when katara ties her and she just screams and crys and laughs.

• This is legendary

Every so often there comes a show that changes everything. It becomes a huge hit and everyone talks about it, its stories are talked about by the fans talk about it and even take life lessons from it, it revolutionaries the we think about TV. I am proud to say that Avatar: The Last Airbender was one of these shows.

I mean it this show was just unbelievably awesome in every way. The characters were very well written and developed, they went through changes as the show went and which is like real life. They had their good characteristics and their bad ones which made them more relatable. They gave Zuko, the main villain for the first seasons a very good backstory and a lot of honor which is rare in a villain for a kids show. All of the main and some of the side characters have awesome backstories, it showed how much the creators wanted to gives us something memorable and it worked.

This show had humor, I mean really funny stuff, stuff that still makes me laugh and laugh hard to this day. It was humor that was generally well thought-out and matched the characters personality, they did not go for the low brow humor that I see all too often in shows now, the humor seemed genuine, it was not forced and was done to lighten the mood which is what humor is supposed to do.

It had action, I mean like top notch action. I couldn't believe half the stuff they put in there. They went and meet with martial arts users and they used their moves in the show that shows that again shows that the creators put a lot of work and thought into this. This was pulse pounding stuff that made you go wow that was awesome and every character; both villain and hero had them. They even gave minor characters their moments of awesome

It had a lot of heart too I mean some really sad and really inspiring stuff. In the sad stuff no one could blame you if your cried, that is how good and genuine it felt, in the inspiring stuff you could learn a lot, it gave you life lessons on never giving up, that you should not let your past actions control you, that you can forgive people for what they did. I mean is some powerful stuff. And all from a kids show! That is very impressive.

Honestly I can think of very little wrong with this show, I meant there were some episodes I likes better than other but that it natural and I can't hold that against it. Most if not all of the characters were very likeable in their own way.

I loved that show did not talk down to its audience, it did not treat them like they were idiots who couldn't handle life's problems. It portrayed life problems and made the characters go through them and something things did not turn out ok which is life. The good guys did not always succeed but they did ultimately win is a sign of a show that really gets what people want and can handle.

This show is by far the greatest thing nick had done in a long time, maybe the best thing they have ever done. it is better than many of the show I watched and unlike other shows on nick it did not get worse over time, in fact it could be argued that it got better.

The characters were awesome, the idea was awesome, The humor, action, drama and flow of the show were awesome. It was just a beautiful piece of work. Future writers and creators of cartoons should watch this and take notes. Nick thank you for giving use this amazing piece of work whoever or whomever created this show or worked on it should be very proud of it. it was just about perfect.

I will remember this show forever and I think that it will go down as one of if not the greatest show that nick had ever shown as well as one of the greatest shows in TV history.

• so awesome

if nick had more shows like this, it wod suck less.
  • Just feels like it has no direction and a confusing story

Just like Pokemon, I have a hard time seeing the ultimate story about what is going on. True, it does do better than most Nickelodeon shows but I think that seeing the live action movie kinda ruined the show for me since I saw the film 1st before the show. Stil, you got to be impressed with the characters poweres and fight scenes.
  • Wow! Just Wow!

Okay, I don't know if this is a Nickelodeon original cartoon or it's something that they just picked up, but OH MY GOD! Nick hit the jackpot with Avatar: the Last Airbender! This just might be the greatest western cartoon ever made (Yeah, maybe even more than Kim Possible or Looney Tunes, two shows that I absolutely adore). It's story, the characters, the action, the humor, everything about this show is practically perfect. I can't believe I'm just now reviewing this.

Aang, like Goku, is one of the most likable characters to ever be drawn. He's a good-natured kid, but he's also flawed, as he goes through inner turmoils trying to deal with who he is. Also, he had to learn the techniques required of being the Avatar instead of just having them from the beginning. It was great seeing him go through so much development. Katara is just as equally awesome. She's kind, but also has her limits and will gladly stick up for herself when she needs to. And her water-bending techniques are pretty spectacular to see. Also, I LOVED the romance between her and Aang, and I have no shame admitting that I squealed like a little girl when they finally kissed. Sokka, while a little annoying in the beginning, probably went through the best development later on in the show. Going from full-time comedy relief, to badass warrior who could still be funny. Cudos to the creators for that. Prince Zuko and most of the other characters had their moments of awesome too.

As for villains. The buildup to Sozin's reveal was perfect. He was perceived as a huge threat for the first two seasons, and when he finally revealed himself, he did not disappoint. This guy was evil. Truly evil! The attitude, the look, the voice, the power, what more could you ask for in a villain. And his fight with Aang in the final episodes was among one of the greatest fights I've ever seen in any animated show.

The story of Avatar is incredible. It's mainly Aang learning how to master all four elements, but there's also plenty of amazing battle sequences with the Fire Nation and other villains along the way. The bending techniques are freakin' awesome to see. Avatar's animation is beautiful. It's a lot like Teen Titans, I love the mixture of Japanese and western style animations, only this show mixed it better with the incredible action scenes. And the show knew how to balance drama and humor, which made the story even better.

All in all. Avatar: The Last Airbender is a phenomenal cartoon. Hell, it's a phenomenal show. Forget Invader Zim, Kim Possible or Looney Tunes, This is the greatest western-made animated show that has ever been conceived. Awesome story, awesome characters, plenty of action, comedy and drama, Avatar raised the bar for future animation. So high, that it may never be reached again. If your one of the few people whose never watched this, go watch it, and be amazed!
  • Up there with the very BEST of Anime!

I'm a HUGE Anime fan and thought at first that this would just be some generic rip-off with no sense of emotion or was I wrong!

Avatar is not only deep and well-thought out but it also transcends the box it was put in; what with it being made by Nickelodeon and all... It's a brilliant show full of extremely realistic characters and themes. Everything from the animation, pacing, music and story is just PERFECT without a single minute to waste. Such an energetic series that knows exactly what it's doing and doesn't try to be anything else than an Epic Masterpiece.

My favourite character is Zuko, he's the one who resonated with me the most and I look forward to new seasons of Avatar: The Legend of Korra, an equally awesome show! Love this world and can't wait to rewatch it. :)
  • Amazing!!!

Such an addicting tv show it is crazy, you can't stop watching when you start. Such a good plot with characters that you eventually hold dearly to your heart. This show is good for everyone and anyone. Also such a good message hidden in the plot. Best tv show ever, if you haven't watched it you're missing out big time. : )!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Clearly Overrated

Doesn't deserve all of its praise.

Plot = 5 (basically World War II)

Action = 4 (not really that eye catching)

Humor = 8.5 (quite hilarious)

I mean I've been told by friends and read the reviews that this show gets and was really expecting to get blown away, but I happened to find this average junk.

Reviews stated this show attracted a more mature audience than expected. How the hell is that possible? It's utterly childish on several levels, felt like I was watching Dora The Explorer (that's how bad it was)

There is totally nothing special about this show, I can list tonnes of shows way than this. I guess the only reason why people liked was low expectations.
  • Top Shows - One of Nick's best shows

Complete (06-12)
  • THE BEST SHOW IN THE HISTORY OF TELEVISION!

This show was so clever, funny, awesome, and downright freakingcepic

give it a watch you won't be sorry
  • Not just the best Animated Series, but the greatest TV Show ever produced by America!

One of the greatest Television Series of all time - what at first seemed like a goofy, childish Nicktoon with some Asian influences, turned out to be an incredibly poetic, symbolic and unbelievable epic filled with timeless characters and masterpiece writing!

Surprisingly, it's one of the most realistic portrayals of War. Avatar: The Last Airbender delves deep into the moral dilemmas that arise from such conflicts with much ambiguity and treats the audience with extreme respect. Truly a timeless classic!
  • superb

patta story ya
  • One of the lights of Nickelodeon that shined bright

This was a great series. It was imperfect, and some episodes were a lot more boring or uninteresting than others, but the good outweighs the bad. The writers do an excellent job of world building, the animation is awesome, and the main characters are all interesting.

This is one of the few cartoons that was able to stand on it's feet with the same strength throughout.

As good as it is, it does have it's faults. Sometimes the characters are in some situations that make for some boring episodes. I'd honestly have a terribly made episode than one that is boring to watch.

Even with its flaws, it's still a great show.
  • Best Nickelodeon cartoon

This was the best Nick cartoon show since Invader Zim. The fights are cool, the characters all develop, and the animation is pretty good. Wish they kept it going
  • One of the best cartoons of all time

As someone who has seen this show multiple times, I can easily say that this one of my favorite cartoons ever. The characters on this show are very interesting and well developed, each one of them having a certain history shaping them into the characters that they are such as Katara whose mother was killed in a fire nation raid which lead to her (and Sokka) developing antagonistic feelings towards anyone from the fire nation or Toph (my favorite character) whose blindness caused her to be constantly pampered by her parents which eventually caused her to develop a rebellious attitude because her parents never let her have any real freedom. All of the main characters are very interesting in their own ways and it will eventually lead you into liking all of them.

The animation is very well done for the time this show was released. The characters are detailed very nicely and the bending choreography as well the martial arts mixed with them is well executed. The music for this show is great to listen to and I even have a few tracks on my iPod lol.

Like another user said, this show has a perfect balance of action and comedy. Although there are a few filler episodes, they are very fun to watch and add a little bit of character develop in the process. If I had to grade the three seasons, It would be like this:

Book 1 - 9/10: A great start to the series

Book 2 - 9.5/10: Better than the first book and it introduced my favorite character

Book 3 - 10/10: The final battle against the fire lord is one of the best fights I have seen in a cartoon

All in all, ATLA is definitely one of best cartoons I have ever seen and I'm really glad that Mike and Bryan decided to make a sequel series to this because more Avatar is always awesome to me.
  • Best Show Ever

It has the right balance of action, drama, and a hint of comedy to go with it too.
  • The Laughs

Last night, I dreamt of the laughter of Aang... When I told my boyfriend, he jokingly asked me to propose to the character.. i WOULDN'T MIND..
  • Avatar!!!! Amazing!!!!

I Wish Avatar will have a continuation!!!!! Most Amazing Show I Ever seen. I watched this show several time and I can't get enough!!!
  • Simply the Best show ever!!!

First off, if i could give this show more than a 10, I would because that's how amazing it is!!!

I remember watching this show back when it aired and just recently watched it again. Every episode (even the fillers) was fun and exciting to watch. Avatar provides something that most other shows don't... Everything!!! Whether it's comedy, romance, epic fighting that leaves your body tingling and vibrating, a captivating story and much more, Avatar provides this. Furthermore, character development is amazing. I found every main and minor character enjoyable to watch thanks to excellent scripting and acting.

This is Nickelodeon's best work so far (in my opinion) and definitely the best animated show Americans have produced (thank you Japanese Anime). I would recommend this to kid or adult alike. So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and prepare to awed by this masterpiece. :)
  • avatar the last airbender is the best action martial arts cartoon i ever seen!!!

avatar the last airbender is the best show ever this show blows me away with its story telling this show has to be number 1 on the charts the action is perfect and the show is well balanced and the power of bending the elements is so amazing am the biggest fan of this show and i been for a long time i love the fighting so much because am a big fan of martial arts avatar is the best show on nick i will be forever!!

LONG LIVE TEAM AVATAR !!!!!!!!
  • best show

the best show with best story it.
  • one of the best shows for kids to watch!

where do i start with this show! ITS FANTASTIC PEOPLE!

I am a HUGE fan of this show and it's one of the best shows on television!

The story is genius. It deals with concepts like war, trying to find yourself (regaining your honor-like Zuko), proving yourself to the world, finding your identity, and much much more. The characters thoroughly change from the beginning to the end. Aang turns from this happy-go-lucky kid to this mature fully understood young boy. Katara goes from this small curious waterbender, to this symbol of hope and motherly affection, while still being a bad-ass when people mess with her. Toph (my favorite character) can be seen slowly changing from this head-strong earthbender to a girl who understands community and love much better by the end. Sokka turns from this sexist, mean, and sarcastic jerk to an understanding, mature, still sarcastic and silly young man. And lastly Zuko- oh god Zuko! Probably one of the most well developed characters I have ever seen on He's backstory is so tragic, everything he does is so tragic, his journey is filled with sadness and angsty and he journeys to find out his destiny and all that good stuff.

The morals and philosophy is great. The animation is great. The action scenes (which are martial arts by the way- very smart!) are amazing and keep you at the edge of your seat. I can go on about praising this show but that would take millions of pages! Overall, it's a true 'diamond in the rough", basically one of the best ones you'll find!

i TOTALLY recommend it! WATCH IT GUYS, YOU WON'T REGRET IT, SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!
  • The full package

Avatar: The Last Airbender is, as the title says, the full package. It has action, adventure, comedy, romance, and drama, and it's a cartoon! Most MOVIES can't pull that off these days! Please, if you haven't watched this show yet, go RIGHT NOW!
  • Avatar The last good show on Nickelodeon

The show is very funny right from the beginning. The characters have great chemistry and I loved watching all the team work. The show was started for kids but the creators knew they could do a lot more. They put themes in this show so that kids and adults alike could see parts of themselves in these characters. And your with the characters through the good and the bad. Sometimes when somethings happen your just left in shock. The show even makes fun of itself once. The animation looks great and the fight scenes are top notch. The plots are always very focused and very good. Just the world they built around them all the set up is amazing. This show has been at high praise and it deserves very last bit of that praise. Back to the humor theres a lot of comedic relief and in slower episodes theres a lot of it. There are a lot of episodes that side track from the main goal of the show. Either it's very interesting things or it's a very emotional struggle. either way there great episodes with some of the best humor. I couldn't recommend this more.
  • The best show

avatar the last airbender, the legend of korra and victorious are the best shows on nickelodeon.
  • Amazing!

It's 2013, and I didn't even know this series existed until a year after it ended (thank, you reruns!), but I'm still watching it.. :)
  • The best show on nick!

Its the best show on nick!
  • Woooo

LOOOOOVE IT! Love it, love it love it!
  • Classic

This and TMNT 2012 are the greatest shows Nickelodeon has EVER Done. Mike and Bryan deserve a medal, along with everyone associated with this show! They truly saved Nickelodeon and the world of Animation. :)