Avatar: The Last Airbender

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

SPDShadowRanger

Avatar: The Last Airbender Fan Reviews (2184)

• Just feels like it has no direction and a confusing story

Just like Pokemon, I have a hard time seeing the ultimate story about what is going on. True, it does do better than most Nickelodeon shows but I think that seeing the live action movie kinda ruined the show for me since I saw the film 1st before the show. Stil, you got to be impressed with the characters poweres and fight scenes.
  • This is legendary

Every so often there comes a show that changes everything. It becomes a huge hit and everyone talks about it, its stories are talked about by the fans talk about it and even take life lessons from it, it revolutionaries the we think about TV. I am proud to say that Avatar: The Last Airbender was one of these shows.

I mean it this show was just unbelievably awesome in every way. The characters were very well written and developed, they went through changes as the show went and which is like real life. They had their good characteristics and their bad ones which made them more relatable. They gave Zuko, the main villain for the first seasons a very good backstory and a lot of honor which is rare in a villain for a kids show. All of the main and some of the side characters have awesome backstories, it showed how much the creators wanted to gives us something memorable and it worked.

This show had humor, I mean really funny stuff, stuff that still makes me laugh and laugh hard to this day. It was humor that was generally well thought-out and matched the characters personality, they did not go for the low brow humor that I see all too often in shows now, the humor seemed genuine, it was not forced and was done to lighten the mood which is what humor is supposed to do.

It had action, I mean like top notch action. I couldn't believe half the stuff they put in there. They went and meet with martial arts users and they used their moves in the show that shows that again shows that the creators put a lot of work and thought into this. This was pulse pounding stuff that made you go wow that was awesome and every character; both villain and hero had them. They even gave minor characters their moments of awesome

It had a lot of heart too I mean some really sad and really inspiring stuff. In the sad stuff no one could blame you if your cried, that is how good and genuine it felt, in the inspiring stuff you could learn a lot, it gave you life lessons on never giving up, that you should not let your past actions control you, that you can forgive people for what they did. I mean is some powerful stuff. And all from a kids show! That is very impressive.

Honestly I can think of very little wrong with this show, I meant there were some episodes I likes better than other but that it natural and I can't hold that against it. Most if not all of the characters were very likeable in their own way.

I loved that show did not talk down to its audience, it did not treat them like they idiots who couldn't handle life problems. It portrayed life problems and made the characters go through them and something things did not turn out ok which is life. The good guys did not always succeed but they did ultimately win is a sign of a show that really gets what people want and can handle.

This show is by far the greatest thing nick had done in a long time, maybe the best thing they have ever done. it is better than many of the show I watched and unlike other shows on nick it did not get worse over time, in fact it could be argued that it got better.

The characters were awesome, the idea was awesome, The humor, action, drama and flow of the show were awesome. It was just a beautiful piece of work. Future writers and creators of cartoons should watch this and take notes. Nick thank you for giving use this amazing piece of work whoever or whomever created this show or worked on it should be very proud of it. it was just about perfect.

I will remember this show forever and I think that it will go down as one of if not the greatest show that nick had ever shown as well as one of the greatest shows in TV history.

• Wow! Just Wow!

Okay, I don't know if this is a Nickelodeon original cartoon or it's something that they just picked up, but OH MY GOD! Nick hit the jackpot with Avatar: the Last Airbender! This just might be the greatest western cartoon ever made (Yeah, maybe even more than Kim Possible or Looney Tunes, two shows that I absolutely adore). It's story, the characters, the action, the humor, everything about this show is practically perfect. I can't believe I'm just now reviewing this.

Aang, like Goku, is one of the most likable characters to ever be drawn. He's a good-natured kid, but he's also flawed, as he goes through inner turmoils trying to deal with who he is. Also, he had to learn the techniques required of being the Avatar instead of just having them from the beginning. It was great seeing him go through so much development. Katara is just as equally awesome. She's kind, but also has her limits and will gladly stick up for herself when she needs to. And her water-bending techniques are pretty spectacular to see. Also, I LOVED the romance between her and Aang, and I have no shame admitting that I squealed like a little girl when they finally kissed. Sokka, while a little annoying in the beginning, probably went through the best development later on in the show. Going from full-time comedy relief, to badass warrior who could still be funny. Cudos to the creators for that. Prince Zuko and most of the other characters had their moments of awesome too.

As for villains. The buildup to Sozin's reveal was perfect. He was perceived as a huge threat for the first two seasons, and when he finally revealed himself, he did not disappoint. This guy was evil. Truly evil! The attitude, the look, the voice, the power, what more could you ask for in a villain. And his fight with Aang in the final episodes was among one of the greatest fights I've ever seen in any animated show.

The story of Avatar is incredible. It's mainly Aang learning how to master all four elements, but there's also plenty of amazing battle sequences with the Fire Nation and other villains along the way. The bending techniques are freakin' awesome to see. Avatar's animation is beautiful. It's a lot like Teen Titans, I love the mixture of Japanese and western style animations, only this show mixed it better with the incredible action scenes. And the show knew how to balance drama and humor, which made the story even better.

All in all. Avatar: The Last Airbender is a phenomenal cartoon. Hell, it's a phenomenal show. Forget Invader Zim, Kim Possible or Looney Tunes, This is the greatest western-made animated show that has ever been conceived. Awesome story, awesome characters, plenty of action, comedy and drama, Avatar raised the bar for future animation. So high, that it may never be reached again. If your one of the few people whose never watched this, go watch it, and be amazed!
  • Up there with the very BEST of Anime!

I'm a HUGE Anime fan and thought at first that this would just be some generic rip-off with no sense of emotion or was I wrong!

Avatar is not only deep and well-thought out but it also transcends the box it was put in; what with it being made by Nickelodeon and all... It's a brilliant show full of extremely realistic characters and themes. Everything from the animation, pacing, music and story is just PERFECT without a single minute to waste. Such an energetic series that knows exactly what it's doing and doesn't try to be anything else than an Epic Masterpiece.

My favourite character is Zuko, he's the one who resonated with me the most and I look forward to new seasons of Avatar: The Legend of Korra, an equally awesome show! Love this world and can't wait to rewatch it. :)
  • Amazing!!!

Such an addicting tv show it is crazy, you can't stop watching when you start. Such a good plot with characters that you eventually hold dearly to your heart. This show is good for everyone and anyone. Also such a good message hidden in the plot. Best tv show ever, if you haven't watched it you're missing out big time. : )!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Clearly Overrated

Doesn't deserve all of its praise.

Plot = 5 (basically World War II)

Action = 4 (not really that eye catching)

Humor = 8.5 (quite hilarious)

I mean I've been told by friends and read the reviews that this show gets and was really expecting to get blown away, but I happened to find this average junk.

Reviews stated this show attracted a more mature audience than expected. How the hell is that possible? It's utterly childish on several levels, felt like I was watching Dora The Explorer (that's how bad it was)

There is totally nothing special about this show, I can list tonnes of shows way than this. I guess the only reason why people liked was low expectations.
  • Top Shows - One of Nick's best shows

Complete (06-12)
  • THE BEST SHOW IN THE HISTORY OF TELEVISION!

This show was so clever, funny, awesome, and downright freakingcepic

give it a watch you won't be sorry
  • Not just the best Animated Series, but the greatest TV Show ever produced by America!

One of the greatest Television Series of all time - what at first seemed like a goofy, childish Nicktoon with some Asian influences, turned out to be an incredibly poetic, symbolic and unbelievable epic filled with timeless characters and masterpiece writing!

Surprisingly, it's one of the most realistic portrayals of War. Avatar: The Last Airbender delves deep into the moral dilemmas that arise from such conflicts with much ambiguity and treats the audience with extreme respect. Truly a timeless classic!
  • superb

patta story ya
  • One of the lights of Nickelodeon that shined bright

This was a great series. It was imperfect, and some episodes were a lot more boring or uninteresting than others, but the good outweighs the bad. The writers do an excellent job of world building, the animation is awesome, and the main characters are all interesting.

This is one of the few cartoons that was able to stand on it's feet with the same strength throughout.

As good as it is, it does have it's faults. Sometimes the characters are in some situations that make for some boring episodes. I'd honestly have a terribly made episode than one that is boring to watch.

Even with its flaws, it's still a great show.
  • Best Nickelodeon cartoon

This was the best Nick cartoon show since Invader Zim. The fights are cool, the characters all develop, and the animation is pretty good. Wish they kept it going
  • One of the best cartoons of all time

As someone who has seen this show multiple times, I can easily say that this one of my favorite cartoons ever. The characters on this show are very interesting and well developed, each one of them having a certain history shaping them into the characters that they are such as Katara whose mother was killed in a fire nation raid which lead to her (and Sokka) developing antagonistic feelings towards anyone from the fire nation or Toph (my favorite character) whose blindness caused her to be constantly pampered by her parents which eventually caused her to develop a rebellious attitude because her parents never let her have any real freedom. All of the main characters are very interesting in their own ways and it will eventually lead you into liking all of them.

The animation is very well done for the time this show was released. The characters are detailed very nicely and the bending choreography as well the martial arts mixed with them is well executed. The music for this show is great to listen to and I even have a few tracks on my iPod lol.

Like another user said, this show has a perfect balance of action and comedy. Although there are a few filler episodes, they are very fun to watch and add a little bit of character develop in the process. If I had to grade the three seasons, It would be like this:

Book 1 - 9/10: A great start to the series

Book 2 - 9.5/10: Better than the first book and it introduced my favorite character

Book 3 - 10/10: The final battle against the fire lord is one of the best fights I have seen in a cartoon

All in all, ATLA is definitely one of best cartoons I have ever seen and I'm really glad that Mike and Bryan decided to make a sequel series to this because more Avatar is always awesome to me.
  • Best Show Ever

It has the right balance of action, drama, and a hint of comedy to go with it too.
  • The Laughs

Last night, I dreamt of the laughter of Aang... When I told my boyfriend, he jokingly asked me to propose to the character.. i WOULDN'T MIND..
  • Avatar!!!! Amazing!!!!

I Wish Avatar will have a continuation!!!!! Most Amazing Show I Ever seen. I watched this show several time and I can't get enough!!!
  • Simply the Best show ever!!!

First off, if i could give this show more than a 10, I would because that's how amazing it is!!!

I remember watching this show back when it aired and just recently watched it again. Every episode (even the fillers) was fun and exciting to watch. Avatar provides something that most other shows don't... Everything!!! Whether it's comedy, romance, epic fighting that leaves your body tingling and vibrating, a captivating story and much more, Avatar provides this. Furthermore, character development is amazing. I found every main and minor character enjoyable to watch thanks to excellent scripting and acting.

This is Nickelodeon's best work so far (in my opinion) and definitely the best animated show Americans have produced (thank you Japanese Anime). I would recommend this to kid or adult alike. So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and prepare to awed by this masterpiece. :)
  • avatar the last airbender is the best action martial arts cartoon i ever seen!!!

avatar the last airbender is the best show ever this show blows me away with its story telling this show has to be number 1 on the charts the action is perfect and the show is well balanced and the power of bending the elements is so amazing am the biggest fan of this show and i been for a long time i love the fighting so much because am a big fan of martial arts avatar is the best show on nick i will be forever!!

LONG LIVE TEAM AVATAR !!!!!!!!
  • best show

the best show with best story it.
  • one of the best shows for kids to watch!

where do i start with this show! ITS FANTASTIC PEOPLE!

I am a HUGE fan of this show and it's one of the best shows on television!

The story is genius. It deals with concepts like war, trying to find yourself (regaining your honor-like Zuko), proving yourself to the world, finding your identity, and much much more. The characters thoroughly change from the beginning to the end. Aang turns from this happy-go-lucky kid to this mature fully understood young boy. Katara goes from this small curious waterbender, to this symbol of hope and motherly affection, while still being a bad-ass when people mess with her. Toph (my favorite character) can be seen slowly changing from this head-strong earthbender to a girl who understands community and love much better by the end. Sokka turns from this sexist, mean, and sarcastic jerk to an understanding, mature, still sarcastic and silly young man. And lastly Zuko- oh god Zuko! Probably one of the most well developed characters I have ever seen on He's backstory is so tragic, everything he does is so tragic, his journey is filled with sadness and angsty and he journeys to find out his destiny and all that good stuff.

The morals and philosophy is great. The animation is great. The action scenes (which are martial arts by the way- very smart!) are amazing and keep you at the edge of your seat. I can go on about praising this show but that would take millions of pages! Overall, it's a true 'diamond in the rough", basically one of the best ones you'll find!

i TOTALLY recommend it! WATCH IT GUYS, YOU WON'T REGRET IT, SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!
  • The full package

Avatar: The Last Airbender is, as the title says, the full package. It has action, adventure, comedy, romance, and drama, and it's a cartoon! Most MOVIES can't pull that off these days! Please, if you haven't watched this show yet, go RIGHT NOW!
  • Avatar The last good show on Nickelodeon

The show is very funny right from the beginning. The characters have great chemistry and I loved watching all the team work. The show was started for kids but the creators knew they could do a lot more. They put themes in this show so that kids and adults alike could see parts of themselves in these characters. And your with the characters through the good and the bad. Sometimes when somethings happen your just left in shock. The show even makes fun of itself once. The animation looks great and the fight scenes are top notch. The plots are always very focused and very good. Just the world they built around them all the set up is amazing. This show has been at high praise and it deserves very last bit of that praise. Back to the humor theres a lot of comedic relief and in slower episodes theres a lot of it. There are a lot of episodes that side track from the main goal of the show. Either it's very interesting things or it's a very emotional struggle. either way there great episodes with some of the best humor. I couldn't recommend this more.
  • The best show

avatar the last airbender, the legend of korra and victorious are the best shows on nickelodeon.
  • Amazing!

It's 2013, and I didn't even know this series existed until a year after it ended (thank, you reruns!), but I'm still watching it.. :)
  • The best show on nick!

Its the best show on nick!
  • Woooo

LOOOOOVE IT! Love it, love it love it!
  • Classic

This and TMNT 2012 are the greatest shows Nickelodeon has EVER Done. Mike and Bryan deserve a medal, along with everyone associated with this show! They truly saved Nickelodeon and the world of Animation. :)
  • Nick Struck Straight Gold Years Ago With This

Avatar will be around long pass it's time you know when shows need to end but this one will keep going this down right the Best Show I have ever watched I new more about this show than I did My science social studies Math and ELA Homework put together I mean this show is simply the best I use to stay home from school just to watch the episode I love the Sequel to The avatar I mean this show can't be compared to any other show Upset mine because when I get older I'm going to be a Show Creator but yeah Avatar is the best action packed beautiful plots I always wondered how they just come up with the unique city names and Character names but this show is the best cartoon ever to happen and the Creator needs Generation award for Making my favorite Characters are on and off but you this show is beautiful Thank You Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko beautiful story plots and everything
  • The best American tv show of all time

American tv shows have a tendency to fall flat in comparison to Asian productions, particularly Japanese anime, but Avatar: the Last Airbender rivals some of the best of what Japan has to offer.

This was one of those famous shows that are essentially pop culture phenomenons that I always heard about but never got around to watching until around a year ago. I now regret I haven't watched it sooner, as I've been missing out on one of the best tv series ever. The story follows the adventures of Aang, the avatar (spiritual and physical guardian who masters all four forms of bending the elements) of his age, who is freed from an iceberg he had been trapped in for 100 years by two Water Tribe siblings, Sokka and Katata. Sang discovers that the world is in the midst of a devastating war, and that his entire people, all the airbenders, were killed in a brutal genocide, and he is the last one, hence the title. He sets off to master the four elements to defeat Fire Lord Ozai to end the war. Ozai's son, Zuko, in the meanwhile is after the Avatar for his own tragic reasons.

Plot: The story is unique in that it has two main characters, as it is Zuko's story as much as it is Aang's. Their two stories are intertwined and are constantly wonderfully paralleled in every aspect, a parallel that grows stronger and more clearly as the series progress. Like their ancestors Roku the Avatar and Sozin the Fire Lord, Aang and Zuko's destinies are tied to each other. The story, which starts off simply enough, gradually becomes more complex as the show carefully builds and expands the world its set in. The plot is engaging and it has loads of plot twists and emotional moments, so be prepared for an emotional ride. The story itself is surprisingly deep, exploring mature and complex themes ranging from war to hope to loss to utopian conspiracy and abuse of power, even nuclear warefare. It's a powerful story and each episode has its own depth, parallelism, or symbolism in its own way. It all culminates in a huge and powerful climax. You'll be heavily invested in the story, which grows steadily darker with each season, from beginning to end.

A special mention should be made for the setting and humor. The amount of thought put into designing prominent locations and basing them off real locations is staggering. Ba Sing Se's design for example is genius with each section designed carefully. The humor in the show is hilarious and almost always finds its mark. I would find myself rolling over in laughter, and the show's balance between serious and humorous is brilliant.

Characters: THIS is what A:TLA is famous for amongst many, and for good reason; the complexity of the characters in this show, their sheer depth, is mind-blowing. Many essays have been written on them, and the brilliance of the characters never fails to astound me. Aang, Katara, Sokka, and Toph are amongst the most complex characters I have seen, as is Zuko, whose character arc is nothing short of incredible. Azula is one of the creepiest and deepest villains I have ever seen, and the character dynamics provide an abundance of both humor and emotion. There are tons of characters to love and admire. To this day I still look at the show's characters with admiration and love.

Action: Even the action in the show has a level of depth rarely found since all the bending forms are based on real life martial arts which tie in beautifully with the theme of spirituality. Each move is carefully executed, resulting in fast paced action sequences that are both awesome to watch and amazing in detail and thoughtfulness.

Music: Amazing, loved the main theme especially.

Animation: It improves as the series progresses, becoming more fluid until it is breattakingly amazing by the end of the show.

This is one of those shows where a review doesn't do it justice, so watch the show to appreciate its depth and the sheer amount of thought and work put into it. It's both my favorite American cartoon series and favorite American tv show, and I don't think that's changing anytime soon.