Avatar: The Last Airbender

The Awakening

Aired Friday 6:30 PM Sep 21, 2007 on Nickelodeon

• The Awakening

The Awakening was a really great season three opening episode of Avatar The Last Airbender. I really enjoyed watching this episode because Aang wakes up to a crazy world where things aren't what they seem. It was really cool to watch the scenes where Azula and Zuko return home and are admired by large crowds of people as their deeds are announced. I thought it was interesting how Azula continues to weave her web. Aang had to deal with being kept a secret, while Katara had a touching moment with her father. This episode was awesome and I look forward to watching the next one!!!!!!!
  • disappointing

This episode was very disappointing. When I heard about season 3 I was so excited and waited eagerly for three months waiting for it. When I finally saw it was disappointing, It can be compared to when a young child peeks at his christmas parents too early, very melodramatic. This inner conflicts of the characters didn't make sense. Katara's anger at her father came out of nowhere. In the The previous episodes she seemed excited to see her father and did not express any ill feelings toward meeting him. Zuko's inner conflict was confusing as he didn't didn't explain himself it well enough. Also the relationship of Zuko and Mai was also sudden. It is never established why Mai likes Zuko and most importantly why Zuko liked Mai.
  • Picking up right where it left off!

As always it is the strong writing of Avatar that gives it great episode after great episode. How it is able to cover so many issues and execute them in such great manner is just textbook example of how all cartoons that isn't a comedy need to be run. Once again the issue of honour and dignity is risen with not only Aang losing his most recent battle, but also Zuko winning it. Although there really wasn't much action besides that chase scene, it was still in a way exciting and exhilarating. Azula is really proving to be one of the more cunning and manipulative villains out there; how she tricked the fire lord in thinking Zuko was the one that killed the Avatar, and then having a legit reason for doing so, was one of the most unexpected things in the show so far. An awesome season opener.
  • Aang is alive that means that the next Avatar is not born and that mean something would change the show

Finally every one must of wait like a year to start book fire here is a good idea what if they made aang in dream which makes it book air where we learn more of Aangs life and at the season final Aang wakes up and then finds out he is in the fire nation ship and then book fire starts and Aang has hair and this big I don't know what it is man it looks like something splated aang and Zuko goes home and people think aang dead and they didn't say if they think the next Avatar is born or not and Princess Yue makes another appence and if Sokka found out he slaps Aangs bump
  • What?! Aang's dead!! :O

okay, i know aang isn't dead. But the whole world thinks he's dead though. I'm not sure though if i like the hair... and yes, i saw this episode when it first aired, i just didn't think about writing a review til now. I'm just wandering how aang is going to take out Azula and Zuko? I've always like Zuko... i feel so bad for him. Mother abandoned him, father hates him, sister could careless about Zuko, and the only way to regain his fathers trust is by capturing the avatar... which is nearly impossible oh yeah!! and Zuko thinks Uncle Iroh hates him nw too
  • Finaly after all that wait!

This episode continues how the story got left. Aang, the Avatar getting shot down by Azula, with lightning. He was close to dieing but Katara saved him. When he awakens Aand descovers the hole world thinks he is dead, and grew hair lol. This episode really reaveles what really happened after that day. It shows the Earth King left to travel the world, and that Hakoda, Katara and Sokka's father, was with them. This episode had so much feeling into it, it felt like it was never gonna end. Overally the plot of this episode was great! Well Written!! Its what the fans were waiting for...

• great start to season 3

Aang awakens to find himself aboard a captured Fire Nation ship with a full head of hair and sustaining serious injuries from the previous battle for Ba Sing Se. At his side are Toph, Katara, Sokka, and their father Hakoda who recount the events that led the four to the ship and contemplate their next move. Aang struggles to fight his own desire to face the Fire Lord before he is ready. Meanwhile, the once exiled Prince Zuko deals with his own issues as he makes his long-awaited journey home, with the fear of his father's rejection hanging over his head.

Aang is back and ready to fight the firelord. Zuko is also restored his honor. Great first ep in season 3.
  • I LOVED IT!!!!!

• It's time to start the final season!

In the first episode of the last season of avatar the last airbender. starting off from where they left off, aang is on a fire nation ship thinking he is captured. then he goes outside and sees katara, toph, sokka, and everyone else. they're all okay. Katara tells him he has been sleeping for over 2 weeks. so he has hair now. he's very week right now, so he can't bend that well. there on a fire nation ship so they can get into the fire nation safely. but aang isn't happy because he can't do that much. In the middle of the night, aang gets mad that everyone thinks he's dead and that the fire nation won the war. so he goes off and runs away. he goes to a crescent island. after awhile, katara, sokka, and toph find him. aang agrees that he can't be found, so he burns his safe and leaves with them.

Overall, this was a great first episode to the last season of avatar the last airbender.
  • Aang wakes up from being knocked out from electricity shot from Azula while in the avatar state. Aang is very mad at that the whole world thinks he is dead.

This episode was freakin' awesome one of my favorite episodes from all of the episodes from avatar. I am very mad at the fact that the last episode of Book 2 Crossroads of Destiny was aired in December 1, 2006, then they wait 9 months the air The Awakening. In the Awakening I thought Katara would be happy to her Dad, but she was very mad at him for leaving the Southern Water Tribe when they had to leave for war. So I can not wait until they air more episodes on Nickelodeon because I want to watch all the episodes from Book 3.
  • the avatar finally awakens!

This episodes shows aang finally waking up from being knocked out for weeks, because the evil princess azula struck him with a bolt of lightening at Ba Sing Se. Since then the Firenation has taken control over the Earth Kingdom Capital and is nearing victory for the war. The world thinks the Avatar is dead and that all hope is gone. Aang and the gang has met up with Sokka and Katara's dad and are planning an invasion of the Firenation on a day of a solar eclipse. Meanwhile Prince Zuko is nervous about meeting his dad, the Firelord. But all is well when his sister Azula gives him credit for taking down the Avatar. But she has an alterior motive.
  • The return of Avatar

• "The Awakening" is the season 3 premiere episode. It wraps up some lose ends from season 2, and starts off season 3 with new information, new plots, and new character development that have not been witnessed before.

"The Awakening" i thought was a perfect transition from Season 2 to Season 3. It sets the tone that this season is going to be more serious, more difficult, and more dramatic than previous episodes. I absolutely loved the character development of Aang and Katara. Seeing that Aang is struggling with his defeat, and that Katara is struggling with her Dad leaving her, shows that these characters aren't perfect and have shown a side to them that we have not seen before. This episode also gives important information that the audience needed to know to wrap up season 2 and to kick off season 3, such as that Aang did in fact die and that Katara brought him back, and that the world thinks the Avatar is dead. This episode blended comedy with drama well, and contrary to some other opinions, i really enjoyed it.
  • I loved the startoff to season three.

I felt connected to the show, and I feel happy and sad when things go on. It was emotional, but I am an Avatard, and us Avatards have this bond to Avatar.
    Anyways, to explain "tearjerker" the drama in this episode was well written. Not so much of an action sequence, but a good example of cartoon drama. I didn't really cry, but I felt like I was going to for a second.
    For Kataang people like myself, seeing Katara care for Aang this way was touching. At first I was afraid of how season three would be. I kept thinking about it in the middle of the show. But I was glad with the ending, when they come back together and end the drama. What a clever way to introduce episode one season three.
  • Helps develop characters and gives missing plot information since the time Aang has been in his coma.

This episode was a great way to start off the third season of Avatar! We learn all about what's happened to the Gaang, and we much more about Aang's feelings about himself, his destiny, and Katara. Katara PMS's about three or four time, but she overcomes her resentment for her father's leaving her. Toph shows more of her Earthbending prowess by demonstrating her usage as a "human catapault." Sokka displays more of his wit, and we learn more about the fire nation's activities. The end of the episode reveals that Aang is willing to accept the help of his friends.
  • A great way to start off Season 3.

I think this episode is a great and fantastic way to start off Season 3. We know now that Aang was dead, but brought back to life by Katara. The Earth King and Bosco aren't traveling with the group anymore. At the end, Aang let's his glider burn in the volcano. I can't believe that. On Zuko's side of the story, Azula told Fire Lord Ozai that he killed the Avatar, not her. Speaking of Fire Lord Ozai, they finally showed his face! He doesn't look so evil, but in The Eclipse, we saw how nasty he can really be. Overall, great way to start off the season, I give this episode a 9.3.
  • After the battle in Ba Sing Se, Zuko finally got his honor back, while Aang just lost it...

During the battle, Aang was hurt badly by Azula's lighting while he was trying to enter the avatar state. Aang felt he failed in Ba Sing Se and was unable to protect all the people in the city from the invasion of the fire nation. He felt he was a failure and was very upset about this, he was eager to regain his honor by taking out the fire lord.
    While Aang was in great anguish Zuko was returning with his "honor" back. But he too was not happy, when he learnt that Azula told his father that he was the one who took down the avatar. All his honor will suddenly turn to shame and humiliation if the avatar is alive which Aang is alive in fact.
    The failure in Ba Sing Se worried two people, their destinies are now intertwined with each other. For Aang and Zuko hope and redeemption both exist, only if they work hard enough to achieve it.
  • After having to infiltrate into the Fire Nation with an unconscious Aang with the help of the Southern Water Tribe's Soldiers, the only thing the gang can do is to wait for the Avatar's awakening.

After waiting for over 9 months for a new episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender we get this. Sure thing, it wasn't a very long wait, but Nickelodeon just didn't seem to care about the show's fans, and didn't give any information until the 2007 SDCC. Worst of all, the show didn't get any decent advertisement until 2 weeks before it aired, making a lot of fans miss Season 3 Premiere. The Animation of this episode wasn't bad, but was surely different from some last season's episodes. There is something with the character designing that I just can't figure, but makes them look awful sometimes. Also, the animation at the "Spirits" talking with Aang seemed quite unpolished. Regarding the plot, I think the producers just rushed a lot of information in too little time. Not only once, but twice did Aang change his way of looking at his destiny in less than 15 minutes. Also there were two plot devices introduced in a not harmonic fashion. One of which, was the sea serpent's appearance, and the other one, the fact that just after Aang ran home and got stranded in a beach in the middle of nowhere, Katara, Sokka and Toph could find him, in the same episode. Ridiculous. This episode's plot just can't give the same feeling that other episodes in this TV show have. The plot advanced so fast you could get lost at what was happening if you missed 15 seconds of the episode. If it weren't for the fact that Aangs wake up, that the gang leaves the ships,and that they are planning an invasion, this episode could have well been putted aside. The main sub-plot is resolved in the episode, and after it, Aang practically doesn't change from what he was last season. Why did the producer's make this episode?
  • a good beginning for the last series in avatar...... (but there could be a fourth series)

when ang wakes up from his 3 weeks slepp he is surprised to see he is on a fire navy ship. but on the deck are all of his companions. they all disquised themselves as fire nation soilders and got away safely.
    on the other hand in the firenation zuko finally returns home and is welcomed as the firelords son, prince zuko. but he found out that azula told his dad that he killed the avatar so he could welcome him back and regain his honour. at night aang runs away from he ship and was struggling to get out of the sea but when the spirit of roku and princess ua (spirit of the moon) gave him courage and helped aang get past the storm. in the morning aang was found by katara, souka, toph, momo and appa and went on with there journey, anxiously waiting for the eclipse. on the day of black sun. where they will meet up with there father and there other allies.
  • Excelient

If a serialized television show attempts to build a larger continuous narrative, sooner or later it will pass a point when the writers stop writing for new audience members and start writing for the existing fanbase. This is not necessarily an obstacle to acquiring new viewers, since a quality television series will be good enough to get new viewers interested a show's backstory. Also, some story elements can acquire far more meaning with the weight of history behind them. Besides, with the triumverate of video-on-demand, TV-on-DVD, and cable syndication, it is a more viable strategy to write for the larger narrative and let any interested newcomers seek out the older material on their own.

It's questionable whether Nickelodeon's Avatar the Last Airbender crossed that boundary by the end of season 2, but with the third season premiere, "The Awakening," it is clear that this bridge has been crossed. At best, a new viewer attempting to enter the Avatar world with this episode will be slightly lost. Even the fans who have been rabidly anticipating the new season since the surprising events that ended the last one will feel a mixture of excitement and disappointment with the premiere. The excitement comes from the prospect of seeing the story to its end and the tantalizing hints at what might be coming next, but the disappointment will be because this episode feels like an extended setup for the rest of the season. It's a half-hour that goes by all too quickly and with too little movement to be truly satisfying on its own merits.

Fans who don't want to be spoiled should stop reading right here and come back after watching the episode when it airs. I'm fairly certain that "The Awakening" will trigger all kinds of arguments among fandom about what the episode meant or whether it was all sizzle and no steak.

The last season ended with a stunning reversal of fortune for Aang, the title character, and his allies. The Fire Nation's Princess Azula finally conquered the Earth Kingdom through subterfuge, and nearly killed Aang in the process. She was aided by her brother, longtime Avatar antagonist Prince Zuko, who surprised many fans of the show by turning on the Avatar at a key moment. "The Awakening" begins with Aang and Zuko on Fire Nation ships. Recovering from his grevious wounds, Aang awakens at the start of the episode to find that he and his friends are engaging in some subterfuge of their own, while Zuko is finally returning home from exile with mixed feelings about his own actions. As stated, much of the episode is clearly setting up threads that will play out for the remainder of season 3. The side-effect is that not very much truly happens in this episode. We discover that the inner conflict that Zuko struggled with all season long is still raging inside him, despite whatever choices he has made. We also get to see that Azula has not changed at all, continuing to manipulate people and situations to her own advantage. Parallels between Aang and Zuko are brought forward in explicit detail as Aang grapples with his abject failure to protect the Earth Kingdom, declaring that he must face the Firelord to wipe away the shame of his failure and restore his honor.

This brings up one of the bigger flaws of the episode: it insists on drawing explicit parallels between characters and events. The parallel hero's journey of Aang and Zuko was always a running subtext of the show, but when Aang drops a line that sounds like it came from Zuko's script and is even given a horrible scar to remind him of his failure, the subtext becomes text with a heavy-handedness that has been largely avoided up to now. Another parallel track of the episode involves disappointing reunions with fathers. Zuko's confrontation with his father, the Firelord Ozai, does not quite go as he had hoped, while Katara's reunion with her father Hakoda ultimately reveals a different rift that parallels a plot twist involving another character. Her feelings toward her father have real-world resonance and the scene is genuinely moving, but it also seems incredibly forced because there was little or no indication of these feelings in past episodes. At best, one seemingly throwaway event at the end of season 2 can be viewed in an entirely different light, but this plot element still seems to exist for the sake of wringing some extra drama out of a forced parallel rather than out of any organic growth of the story.

There are also two extended exposition dumps that take up a bit too much time. One is artfully hidden as a "hail the conquering hero" stump speech while the other is hidden as filling in Aang on recent events while he was unconscious, but they are still fairly obvious plot devices. A moment of doubt is ultimately resolved through not one but two deus ex machina, at least one of which seems like overkill. Combine all these flaws and the storytelling seams are showing more than they ever have in past episodes of the show. One of Avatar's strengths is that it is very good at leaving some things unsaid and trusting the audience to figure them out on their own. It would be a shame if that trust were dropped in this season for the sake of pushing the plot forward.

This is not to say that the episode doesn't have a lot to offer the many fans who have been eagerly awaiting its debut. Many revelations will no doubt catch fans off-guard, and there is a powerful "anything goes" sense for the remainder of the season. All of the characters, new and old, continue to be endearingly flawed, except for the Machiavellian Azula who is still a delightfully malevolent presence that viewers will love to hate. Despite the more somber and serious direction the show is taking, the staff doesn't forget to inject a bit of humor into the episode. As always, the animation and the voice acting are superb, even if one questions whether a scene or a plot twist really makes sense in the larger context. Finally, the closing scene is laden with both symbolic and emotional heft that could only be achieved with the past 40 episodes as prologue -- an elegant argument for how continuity can be something to build on rather than an obstacle to be overcome.

"The Awakening" will both please and infuriate the long-time Avatar fans, but there can be no question that this episode and probably this entire season has been written for them. Avatar has always made the half-hours whip by far too quickly and leaving its fans hungry for more, and in that regard this episode is the same as it ever was.
  • Mostly just information about what Aang has missed...but I'm sure it will be like it used to be after THIS episode!

As Season 3 opens, a lot is happening. Aang wakes up on a Fire Nation Ship. Out side he finds his old friends and allies. They inform him of the Plan they have for the Day of Black Sun. Also, Zuko returns home to his father.

I think that, like all season openers, this Episode was a little crammed together. They had to tell weeks worth of information in half on an episode (the other half is dedicated to the Fire Nation). Although this episode was very entertaining, I think it was more to inform people of what is going to happen in future episodes. After this episode I think we will be back to the good ol' Avatar. This episode was dedicated mostly to informing viewers of what is happening and what will happen. Personally I think they could have used next week's episode to inform people about the upcoming season, and had a little more time for joking around. But even Cartoons have to get serious towards the Climax of the Plot.
  • Aang finally awakens from his injuries caused by Azula. Now the whole world thinks Aang is dead. Meanwhile, Zuko returns home to see his father.

It was a great season premiere of Avatar. Aang finally awakens from his injuries, which were caused by Azula. There he his aboard a fire nation ship, where he sees Katara, Sokka, Toph, Momo, Appa, Bato, Hakoda, The Duke, and Pipsqueak. Meanwhile, Zuko returns home, along with Azula, and his new girlfriend, Mai. Once there, he sees his father, Fire Lord Ozai, who thinks Zuko was the one who killed The Avatar. Now the whole world thinks Aang is dead. Later, Aang runs away on his own during a storm. Then Roku appears, telling him that it was his fault that this war began. His friends find Aang, and Aang decides it is best that he remains a secret. He then destroys the air glider.
  • so much stuff not enough time

they had so much to put in one episode, but not the time to but it in and it ending up being so jumbled. it was a good story start, but if youre not the kind of person that reads online forums, that watches for the interview (like sdcc)or goes out and buys the magazine then you would have been beyond confused. I was and I do all those things.

My favorite part about this episode- I loved mae's acting when katara confronted her father, the emotion she was able to bring into katara was superb.

It really wasnt a bad episode, just super rushed.
  • Graphics/Artistry/Animation: 1.7/2.0 Voice: 1.5/2.0 Elements: (Genre, theme(s), etc. etc.) 1.7/2.0 Character Development: 1.4/2.0 Value/Second Watch: 1.7/2.0 "The new Avatar has everything that makes Avatar a pleasure to watch in the first

The anticipation of the first episode of the final season did not go unheeded. Viewers will be pleased to find that even though the new Avatar has it's faults, in main the results have shone a brilliant shine of what makes Avatar a pleasure to watch in the first place. We first are treated to the look of the "new" Aang
    (It was none too surprising that when he had awoken on a Fire Nation ship he wasn't a captive, but, I regress.) The imaging in the episode was some of which shock-valued, for instance, The graphic imaging in the scene of which Aang's injury was shown made even MY stomach a bit queasy, it was a surprise that Nickelodeon let the animators get away with an image like that, especially since it's the cutesy, badly programmed and over viewed NICKELODEON of nowadays. One of the problems some might have while watching the episode is of the facial expressions, some just don't feel... right. It's not too noticeable, in fact, some may not even notice at all. Some of the voice work in the episode is just a tad underdone compared to other episodes in the series, but not enough to be awkward or painfully stupid. Sokka's added comment on the earth king's leaving "to travel the world in disguise," for instance, felt appreciated, but unneeded. The animators did an impressive job with the dark heir that seems to tread alongside Princess Azula. The characters were instantly recognizable without having to be seen by the music and tones. Character development was of only slight disappointment: Sokka's humour and sarcasm seems just a bit out of tune compared to his usual aura, and Aang's attitude throughout the length of the episode was unbalanced, and disappointing; the way he expressed himself wasn't like him at all. On the bright side Firelord Ozai's look was scary, and very fitting, Azula's manipulation of Prince Zuko was clever, and well formed, and to claim excellence in the name of this episode's character development strategy, Katara reveals her emotions toward her father with an eerily nice touch. All in all, Avatar 301: The Awakening was of little disappointment, and well worth the cliffhanging wait, that always delights the viewer's imagination and wonder; to put it bluntly, a very nice installment.
  • Season 3 has finally come

While not one of the greatest Avatar episodes, it has left we with a state of interest and makes me still want to travel down the path of the Avatar. Extremely plot driven and including its variety of flashbacks, the episode keeps your attention and bounces you from one story to the next. Its weak points seem to be Katara's almost drama queen like approach when arguing with her father and on the basis of him leaving. But then again, girls are more emotional than boys. The story seems heavily plot driven and while captivating, I still feel like a missed a beat. One example would be Mai's suddenly cheery mood and kiss towards Zuko. Though we do know she had a crush on him as a child, and that we haven't seen them together since, this can pass almost unnoticied. I also feel like the taking over and planning of the conquest of the fire ship was not explained throughly enough, but then again, the animators only have 20 minutes. On a last note, I throughly loved the scene in which Aang almost gives up, and then is brought back in spirits by Roku. On that though, wasn't it said that Aang wouldn't be able to communicate with his past lives? Well, it doesn't say it offically in the show itself. Then there's Princess Yue, the moon spirit. Though I throughly enjoy her character, her presence in this episode seems unneeded; an over abundance of giving Aang hope. Maybe the writers thought it was needed, or maybe they just wanted to incorparate her character. Anyway, the episode over all, is pretty good. As for a season opening, it does okay in my book, though I think it could have been a little more fine tuned. Season 2 was by far the best season opening of Avatar.
  • Book 3 begins with a BANG!

Okay before I begin, you should know what happened back in the season finale. Okay Aang was battling Zuko and Azula in an Earth Kingdom cave. When Aang got in the Avatar State, he was struck by a bolt of Azula's lighting. This caused Aang to go into a coma for a LONG time. When he woke up he was on a Fire Nation Ship, and all of his friends and Sokka's father greeted him. Aang is surprised to see he was hair! Shocker! Meanwhile on Zuko's ship, Mai and him talk about Zuko's banishment and his return home. Aang is told what happened and Katara heals him. In the Fire Nation, they welcome back Zuko back as a great hero, while they remodel Ba Seing Sei. Back on the ship, Aang is ready to prove to the world, he's not dead, but he has to keep low as a REAL fire Nation ship passes by. The Fire nation people realizes its a captured Fire Nation ship and they attack. But Katara, Toph and the rest of the gAang are ready to strike back. They win, of course, and they go on. In the FN, Zuko watches the Pond, with the ducks and talks with Azula and Mai. After the gAang, Aang goes off, and Katara get worried. Aang is found in the ocean trying to go somewhere. There he is confronted by Avatar Roku and Yue. Zuko is greeted by his Father, as well. At the ocoean, Aang drofts to a nearby Island where he meets his friends and finaly accepts that he needs to battle the Fire Lord.
  • the beginning

this si the season opener . this shows how the world wen t on aFTER AANg was shot down buy azula. it was very revealing because it shows how thigns happened here. i like dhow it showed what was shown in the comics but better. i also liked seeing ozai's face for the first time. he didnt look all that evil like i thought he would. and i also think that this episod eis pivotal to the series. aang is very selfish however in this episode and i alsoi thought hakoda was a pretty bad character. Anyway this was a great way to start the saeson and i love this episode to bits
  • Return.

6.7
    Is this whwt Nick has forced us to wait over 10 months for!? I`m so mad. This episode had no action , and it definetely didn`t go as I hoped it would. Plus , this episode was so super extremely boring. It definitely doesn`t worth almost a whole year of hard , painful waiting. And it all went down to this piece of garbage. This episode isn`t even worth 1 week of waiting , I`m not even tallking about full 11 months. I hope that this is the last episode of this kind of grade. Don`t watch this episode , please.
< 1 2 3 4