Avatar: The Last Airbender

The Blind Bandit

Aired Friday 6:30 PM May 05, 2006 on Nickelodeon

• The Blind Bandit

The Blind Bandit was a perfect and classic episode of Avatar The Last Airbender. I really enjoyed watching this episode because we were introduced to an amazing new character, The Blind Bandit, who's real identity is surprising. This episode was filled with awesome Earthbending action, suspense, drama, intrigue, humor and wisdom. New character Toph decides to run away with the Avatar and gang which was not an easy decision. I think this episode had a lot of character depth and development as well as plot development. Toph is one of my favorite characters because she is really connected to the Earth. I thought the ending was interesting and it definitely sets up future episodes of Avatar The Last Airbender!!!!!!!
  • Great character development for a character we've just met this episode.

A new character is introduced, Toph, apparently the girl in Aang's vision from the previous episode. She makes her presence felt with her trash talking in addition to her great earth bending skills, but all in the same episode, it quickly develops her character as the misunderstood and sheltered child that wants to go out into the world and have adventures. It's really impressive how much character development there was into this character that was just introduced in this episode alone. As great as it was, it felt like there was too much character development in sacrifice of the story. Still a good episode and once again Sokka pulls through as the show's ultimate source of comic relief.
  • Now theres an earthbender in the team

in this episode Aang search for an earth bender master and the they see a WWE macth buts its not a really WWE macth. then we meet the the champ Toph(aka the THE BLIND BANDIT) Toph is blind but with Earthbending she can see things by feeling the vibrations in the ground through her feet thats awesome. Then Aang battle the blind bandit
    In this side we got your champ the Blind Bandit and the challger weighing less then a 100 pounds the Avatar Aang that could of happen. Then Toph runs alway aang to help him master earth bending and I love how sokka lose his belt back to Toph
  • This is a awesome episodes

This is a great episode and the introduction of toph
    Let me just say that the earthbending was very amazing and showing toph`s moves in a sorta viberation style type of thing.This episode also shows that aang trully cared for toph and that is a great friendship right there.The ending was great too
    and i loved how they alll got pwned by a little twelve year old girl and a blind one at that.I thought the very ending scene was funny......the both of the twelve year olds were nocked out@@.
    All in all this was a very great and trully emotional
    episode and is one of my favorites.
  • Aang finally finds an Earthbending teacher!

This episode was awesome! The beginning was funny XD Aang tries to enroll in an Earthbending class, but that doesn't go so well. Then, he hears about a "wrestling" match and asks some boys about it. They ignore him, so Katara chases after them and traps them with waterbending until they give her the information XD At the match, Aang sees The Blind Bandit (Toph) He recognizes her as the girl he was hallucinating in the Swamp. He goes after her, and asks her and her parents if she can travel with him to teach him earthbending. He discovers that her parents know nothing about her extraordinary bending because she's blind and they treat her like she's fragile. Later, when the gang sets off to leave, Toph runs away from home and joins them in their quest.
  • The introduction of my favorite Character in the GAang, Toph.

As the (former) gAang goes to find an earthbender, they go to the Earth Rumble 6, and then, they are introduced to the master and the coolest character in Avatar in my opinion, Toph, the Blind Bandit. She hails from a wealthy family who, unlike her, wants her to live a happoer, and well safed life. But, she just wanna follow her dreams. When she and Aang get captured from them, Toph challanges the caper and, finally, joins the group.

It's a great episode, and this one was the one to hook me into Avatar in the first place. Why?
    1. Toph (obvious)
    and
    2. That it's okay to be blind.... because you can kick some butt!
  • The best addition to the Avatar cast.

During my dvd run of the Avatar series, I remembered a certain young blind earthbender hadn't properly been introduced yet. Luckily, the wait was over when I finally got to see the introduction of Toph. After the episode was over, I found out that the show got another dose of total badassery with the inclusion of "The Blind Bandit". She's arguably the best character on the show, cause she's so good at what she does. As far as blind heroes/heroines go, she makes Daredevil look like a complete wimp. The episode was a great intro to a wonderful character, and the final action scene at the end was among the best action scenes I've seen so far on the show.
  • Toph joins the group.

Aang is in search of an earthbending teacher, and comes across an earthbending tournament, where he meets the blind bandit.

After Aang defeats her and becomes the new champ he follows her back to her house and reveals himself as the avatar to her parents, but her parents are very over protective of her and become even more so even after seeing was a powerful earth bender Toph is, so she runs away.

I like the idea that they made Toph a girl it balances out the group, and shows that girls can be just as powerful if not more powerful as boys, I also like Toph because she is spunky and even though she is blind she does not like that stop her doing what she want to do.
  • Aang must find a teacher for earthbending.

So first off Aang wants to learn earthbending and he has to find an earth bending teacher and he finds out that Toph is really talented and good but there is only one little problem that she is blind and her parents won't let her become a master at earthbending and don't want her to go with Aang and the others for that. At the end they convince and let her be Aang's earthbending teacher which is really great. I liked this episode and I give this episode a 10 out of 10 for another great installment. I just liked it.
  • aang meets toph!

the gaang go on an earthbending tournament to meet an earthbedning teacher for aang since he learned waterbending the next element he needs to learn is earthbending. he sees an earthbender named the boulder but he says that he listens to his muscles not the earth. then he meets the blind bandit which is toph and he even battles her. she ends up being a loser and leaves angry. aang didnt get the chance to talk to her so the gaang visit her house and then at the end toph agrees to teach aang earthbedning then they live happily ever after
  • toph used to be a man :P

In search for an earthbending teacher for Aang, the kids go to an underground earthbending tournament called Earth Rumble 6. There they meet Toph (aka the Blind Bandit), a blind, but powerful earthbending girl. After seeing her unique style of earthbending, Aang wants Toph to become his teacher, but they find out Toph has hardships of her own with her family and stuff like that. Now aang has to try to get toph to come and te4ach him....but that will be harder than he thinks. the ending is very cool but you will have to watch it to experianc the awesomness!
  • Toph pwns

toph... wow. I just found my favorite character. I love the way the animators are able to capture the visual appearance of earth bending. Chunks of earth are 'torn' from the ground. Most of the time these chucks of earth are 'shaped' by the bender, and then 'slide' across the ground or launched' into the air. These earth bending animation sequences are just absolutely amazing to watch.

Toph is such a cool character too. It's really hard to choose a favorite. The writers have done such a good job giving the characters depth and unique abilities. There is something in each individual character to love about most of them.
  • Time to find a trainer!

In this episode of avatar the last airbender, aang is out on the search to find a earthbending teacher. they find these kids who talk about an earth rumble and katara gets info from them on where it is. so they decided to check it out.

When they get there, they see a girl known as the blind bandit destroying all of her opponents. she is still the defending champion. so aang challenges her. he challenges her to ask her if he can be trained by her, but he ends up winnning and the blind bandit gets really bad.

Again, they ask where the kids where the blind bandit lives, but they say they see her at a house. they go there. it's a big fancy house and there they find the blind bandit who's real name is toph. they ask her, but she rejects it.

When they are about to leave to find another teacher, toph comes running up and asks if she can join. they accept of course and now aang has an earthbending teacher.

Overall, this was a really exciting episode and on of my favorite. introducing a new character in a cooler way!
  • I'm a big fan of the earth bending animation sequences, but I also love the way Toph kicks ass! lol

• Continues to being amazeing.

This ep. continues to show just how amazeing avatar is. In this ep. we are introduced to an new character how has a distictive personality far different then any other character we have already meet. The writing and the seeting of this ep are comical but not too comical to take away from the plot line. And this story not only intorduces a new character but it continues to develope the characters we all redy know and love as they interact with their new friend.

This is a must watch ep. with a supirseing twist in the last few secounds, :-).
  • Aang was so close in finding an earthbending teacher, a 12 year-old young girl had come into the gang's sight, but will her ever join the team and teach the avatar earthbending?

Aang was eager to find an earthbending teacher, they went to an underground tournament called Earth Rumble Six, and finally found a blind girl clled Toph -- Aang's desiring teacher to teach him earthbending, the person who waited and listened before striking, a master of neutral jing. However, Toph's parents were strongly opposing the idea, they still thought Toph was a blind helpless little girls who needed full protection and care. Despite what her parents thought of her, she ran away from home to searcha life that she was dreaming about for year, and to teach the avatar earthbending.
    Toph was blind, but she never had a problem seeing, she saw with earthbending, felt the vibration on the group that cause the movement of objects. Her blindness can still spell disaster for her since she couldn't sense any attack from the air. She is blunt and uncompromising just like Ruko's earthbeding teacher. Toph added new colour to Aang's gang.
  • While looking for an earthbending master for Aang, the gang finds something more.

This episode was indeed one that makes you remember why you watch Avatar: The Last Airender in the first place. Here we got introduced to the gang's earthbender and Aang's earthbending teacher, Toph, who is a blind girl from a rich overprotective family. In this episode we have a lot of emotional moments, while not forgetting the action-filled ones, and the combination of these two makes you see how well written it was. Sure thing is, it's far from perfect, as being quite obvious and cliché the outcome of the episode, but actually doesn't gives you that "sour" taste most cliché'd things give.
  • The introduction to one of my favorites, Toph.

I love this episode. Toph, who now becomes Aang's master in earthbending, is finally introduced. Toph is a great addition to the show. She always comes in handy in case someone attacks. I don't know what Aang or the group could do without her. The Boulder was voiced by Mick Foley, he is one of my favorite wrestlers in the World Wrestling Entertainment. I can't believe that he was voicing The Boulder. Now, Aang needs to master earthbending, which is my favorite element. I'm glad that there is finally an earthbender in the group. Overall, I give this episode a 9.7.
  • Awsome!!

The scene opens with a sweeping pan over a lush Earth Kingdom valley where a large town is situated. This appears to be a bustling community with merchants and schools. We catch up with Katara, Aang and Sokka as Sokka is contemplating the purchase of a bag. His indecisiveness bores the other two, but they try to be supportive as Sokka weighs the pros and cons of the purchase. Aang and Katara start walking away and while Sokka finally makes his purchase, the other two are approached by a man handing out flyers for a local earthbending teacher. Katara convinces Aang to give it a try. At Master Yu's Earthbending Academy, Aang uses the flyer's coupon to receive his "free" lesson. However, it appears all Aang gets is a face full of dirt and rock and Master Yu's attempts at selling him a year's worth of lessons. As the trio departs Master Yu's, they overhear two young men discussing Earth Rumble Six, an earthbending tournament. When Aang asks them where it is located, one of the young men says laughingly "It's on the island of Nunya… Nunya business…" and the two walk away. Katara follows them around the corner (leaving Sokka and Aang behind) and manages to get the information from them by encouraging them with her waterbending skills. The scene cuts to the guys encased in ice up to their necks horizontally attached to the sides of the buildings – heads touching each other. Earth Rumble Six is held inside a jagged mountain, the stage illuminated by many glowing crystals above. The trio looks for seats, wondering why so many front row seats are vacant. Suddenly a rock comes crashing toward them providing a clear explanation as to why the seats were vacant. From center stage, a huge column of rock comes up with an announcer on top (who then pushes the column back down into the stage) welcoming viewers to the event and announcing himself, Xin Fu, as the host. Bored with the upcoming rock-chucking festival, Katara turns away. However, as the action begins and The Boulder (kind of a cross between several wrestling stars such as The Rock with a Hulk Hogan-like voice) begins battling his opponents, Katara's interest appears to be at least somewhat restored. Aang doesn't seem too impressed with The Boulder because, as Aang puts it "Bumi said I need a teacher who listens to the earth, he's just listening to his big muscles." Sokka, on the other hand, has become The Boulder's newest #1 fan. After defeating several challengers, it is time for The Boulder to take on the current champion, The Blind Bandit. On center stage is a young girl holding her champion belt over her head in pride as the crowd cheers. Her eyes are clouded and seem to indicate to the viewer that she is blind, despite Katara's wondering if she's really blind or if it is just an act. The Boulder briefly has reservations about fighting a small blind girl, but soon those vanish as The Blind Bandit taunts him by saying it sounds as if he's scared to fight her. As she laughs at The Boulder, Aang hears something familiar in her laugh and realizes she's the girl with the flying boar in the vision he had in the Swamp. The viewer is then shown how The Blind Bandit senses the vibrations and uses the information to strategically make her move; easily defeating The Boulder. Sokka is devastated, Katara is amazed and Aang appears to be happy as he explains to Katara, "She waited and listened." Xin Fu then offers a bag of gold pieces to anyone who can defeat The Blind Bandit. After a short silence, Xin Fu dramatically says "What? No one dares to face her?" Aang pipes up, "I'll will." Aang tries to explain to The Blind Bandit that he doesn't really want to fight, but talk to the champion. However, the champion begins to fight. Aang manages to use his airbending to evade the champion's attacks and she is clearly unsettled by her inability to fully track him. As she hurls a rock at Aang, he defensively uses airbending, but in the process, manages to push the champion off the stage and erroneously (as he did not use earthbending) wins the match. Aang rushes to catch the Blind Bandit to tell her he thinks she's supposed to be his teacher, but she won't stay and listen. Disappointed, Aang heads back on stage, where Sokka collects the gold pieces and belt. The next day, the trio heads to Master Yu's earthbending school in search of The Blind Bandit. Katara tries her intimidation tactics on the young men she froze the day before, but they end up not having the information she asks for. Aang then realizes they are asking about the wrong person. When he describes the girl from his vision, the young men don't recognize the description, but they do know a local family who's symbol is a flying boar – like the one in Aang's vision. The trio leave to check out the lead, but not before Katara enforces her intimidation on the two young men by telling them, "Hey! I've got my eye on you." Leaving the class, while Sokka whispers "Water Tribe." Back at the arena, The Boulder tells Xin Fu that there was no earthbending being done in the defeat of the champion, which leads Xin Fu to believe The Blind Bandit intentionally lost in order to split the money with the challenger. He is not happy at this apparent cheating. The trio looks at a guarded entrance gate with a flying boar symbol above it and Aang indicates this must be the place. They head around back and climb over the outer wall into a garden area. Suddenly, the trio is thrust into the air by the earth being pushed up from underneath them and lands in various bushes (with the exception of Sokka, who hits the ground). The Blind Bandit asks what they are doing there and Aang counters by asking how she knew it was them. Aang then explains that a crazy king and a vision led him to believe she was to be his earthbending instructor. The Blind Bandit tells them to leave or she'll call the guards and after they try to talk to her again, she comes through and yells "Guards, guards, help!" which causes the trio to scatter. When the guards arrive, her name is revealed - Toph. Observing this, Aang smiles and appears to have an idea of what to do next. Toph's father and mother are meeting with Master Yu to confirm that she is not trying anything dangerous in her lessons and Master Yu assures them that he has kept Toph at the basic level. A servant comes in to tell them a visitor has come – the Avatar. At dinner, Aang, Katara, Sokka and Master Yu have joined Toph and her family. Toph's father inquires of Aang how long he feels the war will go on. Aang explains he hopes to defeat the Fire Lord by summer, but still needs an earthbending teacher. Although Master Yu is mentioned as a candidate by Toph's father, Aang attempts to bring up the possibility of Toph as a teacher, but is thwarted by Toph who eventually pulls Aang's face into his soup. Not to be outdone, Aang returns the favor by sneezing and airbending Toph's soup at her (as well as Master Yu and Toph's mother). Toph's father seems confused by both their behavior. Later, Sokka, Katara and Aang are getting ready for bed (as guests of Toph's family) and Aang is surprised by Toph's sudden appearance. She calls a truce and the two of them walk the grounds of her family's estate while she explains to Aang how she uses earthbending to see. Toph appears to envy Aang's carefree life, but knows she has commitments to her family that prevent her from just leaving. Just then, the two of them are ambushed by Xin Fu and his wrestling thugs. A ransom note is left demanding 500 gold pieces for the safe return of their daughter. Toph's father enlists Master Yu's help and Sokka and Katara state they are coming as well. They arrive at the arena with the ransom and Toph is lowered down and she and her father and Master Yu begin to leave. When Katara asks about Aang, Xin Fu states that he plans to turn the Avatar over to the Fire Nation for reward. Katara runs after Toph to enlist her help and despite her father's protests that she can not help, Toph says "Yes. I can". Toph heads back into the arena demanding Aang's release. The Earthbenders begin to attack and Toph forcefully tells Sokka and Katara, "They're mine." As Katara and Sokka work to free Aang from the metal case, Toph defeats each opponent almost effortlessly. This amazes and shocks Toph's father and Master Yu. Finally, Toph faces off with Xin Fu, but again easily defeats him. Master Yu exclaims, "She is the greatest Earthbender I've ever seen." Back at home, Toph tries to explain herself to her parents stating that she's kept her abilities secret from them, but they have kept her secret from the world and hopes that what they now know about her will not change their feelings about her. Her father says they won't, but then decides that Toph has had too much freedom and must have tighter controls on her, much to Toph's dismay. Aang, Katara and Sokka are then told to leave and Toph sheds a tear at losing the possibility of gaining friends and what little freedom she had. They prepare Appa to leave, but are surprised when Toph comes running up to them telling them her father has changed his mind. Aang excitedly jumps off Appa when Toph says she wants to show him something - only to be shot up into a tree by Toph as payback for knocking her off stage at the championship battle. Toph then requests the belt back and Sokka tosses it down to her, forgetting she can not see, and the belt hits Toph on the head. Sokka sheepishly says "Sorry" to Toph and then Aang falls out of the tree. Toph's father brings a small chest to a table in front of Master Yu and Xin Fu saying he knows they are different, but have a similar interest. He then opens the chest to reveal gold. He's offering it to them for the safe return of his daughter, who he states was kidnapped by the Avatar. As the quartet fly away on Appa, Toph appears to be enjoying her first taste of freedom.
  • Best episode yet!

Aang gets a new and funny teacher and two more people to hunt his group down. Toph escapes the prison she calls home and gets to live the life of a runaway. Until the Western Air Temple shows, this will probably be my favorite episode!

Aang is not just given a great teacher in this episode, but also a great friend. Toph may push people to their limit, but it is often times a good thing. And although she doesn't seem like the type, she can give good advice (as you will eventually see in the Western Air Temple). Aang takes King Bumi's advice and finds the best earthbending teacher for him: one who waits and listens!
  • This was the best episode of season 2!

I loved this episode more than any other! It's about Aang searching for an Earthbending teacher. At first, he's not having much luck, but he and the others find out about an Underground Earthbending tornament. They go and watch to see if there's someone who can teach earthbending. The teacher has to be someone who listens and waits. They discover a young, blind girl named Toph and Aang challenges her by accident. He only wants to talk to her. So, they try to track her down after she mysteriously dissapears after the fight. They find out she's part of a royal and wealthy family. At first, Toph doesn't want to help Aang, but they end up talking when the ones she fought kidnap both her and Aang for the reward money they were supposed to win after the challenge. They hold up a ranson for the two, but they only keep the Avatar so the Fire Nation can handle him. Toph defeats the challengers for the Avatar, and her parents find out how good an earthbender she really is. They decide to put her on lockdown and ask the others to leave and never return. Before they leave, Toph runs after them so she can be a part of their journey. Meanwhile, her father has asks the leader of the earthbending match and Toph's earthbending teacher to find his daughter and bring her back at all costs, claiming she was kidnapped by the Avatar.
  • one of the best episodes in the entire series! It also adds the best character in the show!

This episode starts off kind of slow, with Aang trying to find an earth bending teacher, with no luck at all. Soon, along with sokka and Katara, Aang goes underground to watch a secret tournament of earthbenders. There, he finds his earth bending teacher. The episode has a couple of good scenes of action in it, most of which take place in the tournament's arena. In this episode Aang meets Toph, his future earth bending teacher, who he had seen before, while he was in the swamp(though it was just a spirit-like vision of her, she was not actually there).
    The reason why I think this episode deserves a 10/10 is because it is just great! It adds my favorite character to the series, and it got me back into watching the show itself!
  • Introduces the best character yet...

This is episode is up there as one of my all time favs! It introduces the kyooootest character! Toph! bah, she's so awesome, I'm not sure if it's the leet earth bending or the hair, or OR maybe a combination of both? Maybe. Aang needs an earth bending teacher, someone who listens before making a move, Toph can do nothing but listen as she's lost her sigh, she has to rely on her other senses to "see" her surroundings. This is what makes her the perfect teacher for aang. This episode also introduces two "mini villains" which shouldn't pose too much of a threat, but they still manage to cause some minor set backs in a few episodes to come. When Toph runs away from her over protective parents to join aang on his journey, her father assumes that the avatar kidnapped her, and sends the two men after them both.
  • Earth Rumble Six

In search for an Earthbending teacher for Aang, the kids go to an underground Earthbending tournament called Earth Rumble 6, where they encounter Toph, a blind, but powerful Earthbender. After seeing her unique style of Earthbending, Aang wants Toph to become his teacher, but there are complications with Toph's family. Aang investigates about The Blind Bandit. He finds that the girl may be with the Bei Fong family. When he arrives he see Toph and talk to her father inorder to get his approvial to train him. Tophs family doesnt know that she is an earthbender and think that she is too fragile to even learn earth bending. The Boulder captures Aang and Toph because he was cheated out of the championship money. When her family gives over the money to release her but not Aang, Katara gets Toph to help them out and free Aang. Her family finally find out about her bending abilities and still dont let her go with the Avatar. Toph then decides to run away with Aang to teach him eartherbending
  • the start of a new avatar

In the Blind Bandit, Aang is in search for a earthbendering master. they get these two kids to tell them about a contest that constects of earthbenders. so aang goes to see it and sees this amazing girl that is the champion. so aang goes out and challeges her and he ends up winning. aang also find out that she is blind. they track her down and find her at her house. she comes from a very rich family. in the end of this episode, toph, the blind bandit, joins the creew and will start to teach aang how to earthbend.

Overall, this is a great episode that i really like.
  • Aang struggles to search for an Earthbender to teach him earthbending. Aang and company discover an underground earthbending tournament where they encounter a blind girl named Toph who possesses extraordinary earthbending abilities.

The group stops by a street corner market within the town of Gaoling thanks to a green satchel that catches Sokka's eye. As the others wait for him to come to a decision on his purchase, a man passing out fliers walks by and hands them one. It is a coupon for a free earthbending lesson of an Earthbending Academy belonging to a Master Yu. Aang naturally takes the offer, but he quickly finds that Master Yu cares more about having him pay for lessons then he does about teaching him earthbending. As they leave the courtyard, they hear from a pair of students about Earth Rumble VI, a Lei tai tournament featuring several powerful Earthbenders. Seeing yet another opportunity to find a skillful teacher, Aang asks where the tournament is to be held, but the boys are less than cooperative to provide the location. That is until Katara uses her "feminine charm" to win them over, which involves freezing them to the walls.

At the literally underground tournament, the three are treated to a variety of colorful contenders, including a large sumo-like wrestler, a tunneler who expresses gopher characteristics, and a particularly unpopular contender who apparently claims allegiance to the Fire Nation. But the one that stands out the most is a powerful but rather obnoxious and inflated Earthbender named The Boulder, who is able to defeat every challenger he comes across. Sokka completely gets into it, but neither Katara nor Aang are very impressed, Aang commenting that the Boulder is "just listening to his muscles." The Boulder goes on to defeat several other contenders, until he works his way up to the final round versus current champion, The Blind Bandit.

The literally blind Earthbender turns out to be Toph, a small, twelve-year-old girl. Before their match begins, the Blind Bandit taunts The Boulder, who originally retained but swiftly overcomes uneasiness towards the prospect of fighting a blind child. The Boulder yells and begins to take a step forward, but before his foot can even touch the ground, Toph instinctively kicks up her foot and sends a trail of churned earth forward that arches just before him. When the Boulder's heel touches the ground, it meets the trail, making him suddenly drop down and perform a painful split. The Blind Bandit follows up with a chopping motion that jolts three small, slanted rock pillars which ejects him out of the ring straight into the walls of the stands.Recalling Bumi's last advice, Aang notices the Bandit's techniques, especially how she waits and listens carefully to the movements of her opponent, and realizes that she is precisely the type of person Bumi said would make a good earthbending teacher. He also comes to the realization that she is the mysterious girl in white he saw in his vision in The Swamp.

The announcer of the tournament, Xin Fu, offers a large sum of gold to whomever can defeat the Blind Bandit in a match. Seeing an opportunity to speak with the Bandit, Aang enters the ring. While Aang wants to talk, the Bandit is more than ready for a fight, and refuses to engage in conversation. Unfortunately, she is not ready to face an Airbender, and is effortlessly defeated when Aang blows her off the ring. The Blind Bandit takes badly to her humiliating loss, and storms off, refusing to listen to even one word Aang has to say.

Later, Aang and the others return to Master Yu's academy to try to gather more information on the Blind Bandit. Interrogating the same, now quite intimidated boys Katara previously "asked" about the tournament, the three aren't able to receive much information on the elusive Blind Bandit, until Aang remembers the flying boar he also saw with the girl in his vision. The boys inform them that the flying boar is the symbol of the Bei Fong family, the wealthiest family in the town.

Meanwhile, The Boulder speaks with Xin Fu about the fight. The Boulder states that he was watching the fight and saw nothing make contact with The Bandit when she was thrown from the ring. Not realizing that Aang was airbending, the two come to the conclusion that the Bandit took a dive so that she could share the prize money with Aang.
    Dinner with the Bei Fong family.
    Dinner with the Bei Fong family.

Aang and company travel to the family's large estate, where they see the symbol above the main gate and proceed to sneak around back and over the estate's wall. Their attempts at stealth are almost instantly rebuttled by a sudden surge of upturned earth that sends them screaming and flying into the air and back down into the bushes. They are confronted by the Blind Bandit, now wearing the same dress Aang saw her wearing in the Swamp. Even after being imparted with the situation regarding Aang's mission, the girl, Toph, doesn't feel the need to help them in any way, and calls the house guards to chase them off.

That evening, Toph, her father Lao, and her mother Poppy are meeting with Master Yu, who reveals that he is training Toph strictly at the beginner's level, basic earthbending forms and breathing exercises only, under her parents' wishes. Trying the direct approach, Aang uses his Avatar title to gain a formal audience with the entire Bei Fong family. He initially attempts to get her father to talk her into helping him, but Toph uses her earthbending to keep him from saying anything revealing. Her parents and teacher are completely unaware of her true skill, to the point of believing that she could never even dream of mastering the bending art, and for her own reasons she clearly wishes to keep it that way. After numerous earthbending interruptions, Aang retaliates with a forced sneeze, bringing the dinner to both a premature end and into everybody's face.
    Aang provides Toph with the offer to join him on their journey.
    Aang provides Toph with the offer to join him on their journey.

After dinner, Toph approaches Aang to call a truce, and takes a walk with him through her garden. As the two walk, Toph shares the relationship she has with her parents, who see her as a weak and fragile child due to her blindness, and treat her as being far more helpless than she really is. It is why she began sneaking out of the house and mastering earthbending on her own, secretly competing in tournaments and greatly surpassing her "teacher" in skill. Aang offers Toph complete freedom as well as happiness by coming with him on their travels. She comtemplates the offer but despondently states that it is not the life for her. Toph suddenly drops to her knee and states that they are being ambushed. She grabs Aang and the pair make a run for it but are cut off and captured with two dropped metal cages by Xin Fu and his stable of Earthbenders, who want their money back.

Katara, Sokka, Toph's father and mother, and Master Yu find a note demanding ransom money for her safe return. The family is ready to pay, and the siblings volunteer to accompany them with the transaction.

Back at the underground arena, Xin Fu returns Toph for the ransom, but intends to turn Aang over to the Fire Nation for an even heftier reward. Seeing that they are greatly outnumbered and outmatched, Katara pleads with Toph to help them rescue Aang, but Toph's father refuses to let her, believing her to be helpless against them. Toph, on the other hand, agrees, and proceeds to single-handedly defeat Xin Fu and his entire stable of wrestlers, using a cloud of dust as cover, and taking them out one by one. In the process, she reveals to her parents and teacher her true character.

Later, Toph apologizes to her family, saying that she loves fighting, and she only sneaked out because they sheltered her too much. Unfortunately, the recent events have only convinced her family to tighten their "protection" of her, planning to have her watched at all times, and then forbid Aang and the others from returning to their household.

As Aang and the others get ready to leave, Aang expresses remorse at losing the opportunity of learning from such a one-of-a-kind teacher. Suddenly, Toph runs up to them, saying that her father changed his mind, letting her travel with them. After exchanging a quick glance with his sister, Sokka wisely offers to leave quickly before her father "changes his mind again." Toph is ready to go, but first she wants to show Aang something. Aang hops down, and she promptly launches him into a tree. Toph, declaring them even, demands to have her championship belt returned. Sokka, sitting on Appa's back [off-screen], throws the belt at Toph, but she, unable to sense the airborne object, gets struck in the face by it and knocked to the ground. Aang, still in the tree up to this point, finally falls flat on his face as well.

Meanwhile back at the Bei Fong estate, Toph's father has come to the conclusion that Aang has kidnapped his daughter. With a large sum of money, he hires both Master Yu and Xin Fu to go after them and do whatever it takes to get her back.
  • Aang is searching for an earthbending teacher after learning Bumi can't teach him. The gang stumbles upon an earthbending tournament, with amazing earthbenders. They meet a mysterious girl who Aang remembers from a vision. He thinks she should teach him.

This is my favorite episode so far. Toph is my favorite character, and this episode really shows how capable of an earthbender she really is. The episode begins with Aang looking for a teacher. He finds a coupon for a free lesson with a master, but it turns out it was a scam. Then he overhears two young boys talking about an earthbending tournament. When Aang asks them where it is, they laugh him off. Katara decides they need a little encouragement...so she freezes them to the wall to get them to talk. When they arrive at the arena, an earthbender called the Boulder seems to dominate the competition. But when he faces the reigning champion, the Blind Bandit, a small blind girl, she defeats him with no trouble at all. Aang remembers her from a vision in the swamp, and thinks she is supposed to be his teacher. Aang finds her house after the tournament, and tries to get her to come with them. But the Blind Bandit's, or Toph's, family doesn't know about her amazing earthbending. They see her as a helpless blind girl. Toph explains her life to Aang in the courtyard, and they are kidnapped by Xin Fu and his gang. They let Toph go when the ransom is paid, but decide to sell Aang to the Fire Nation. Sokka and Katara tell Toph they need her. She agrees, showing everybody how she really is. At the end of the episode, Toph sneaks out to travel with them. Like I said, This is my favorite episode. It really shows how Toph has overcome her obstacles to become all that she could be. This is also an important episode for the season, because now Aang can learn earthbending.
  • Aang meets his new earthbending teacher, Toph.

This episode was definately a series classic. Aang continues his search for an earthbending teacher, then Aang finds out that there is an earthbending tournament called Earth Rumble 6. Once there, Aang meets a girl who's nickname is the blind bandit, but her real name is toph. This was the girl Aang seen in The Swamp, and he is shocked to see that Toph has completely defeated the boulder. Aang decides to ask Toph if she'll become Aang's earthbending teacher. Toph agrees to become aangs teacher, however, her parents disagree. Toph runs away from home, and goes with aang and the others.
  • Aang needs to find a Erthbending teacher, he hears about Earth rumble six where the greatest earthebender in the world battle it out. he goes to the tournoment, and the champion... Is a twelve year old girl?

Woot!!! The blind Bandit (a.k.a Toph Beifong) Is a new character introduced in this show, and she becomes My Favorite Character In This Show!!! aang goes to the tournoment, and The Blind Bandit is the champion who won for her 52nd time in a row, but she is only twelve. She is blind, and tuaght herself earthbending, she feels the vibrations in the groung to see where everything is. Aang decides that she is the perfect person to teach him earth bending. after he visits her at her house, they go outside and talk, but they get ambushed by the other people that were in the Earth bending tournoment. Toph gets bailed out by her parents with money, but aang stays locked up. Katara begs Toph to help aang escaped, but since her family doesnt even know that she can earthbend well, they refuse, but Toph says otherwise, she oes onto the tournoment ground and fights them all and beats them with amazing skill, and frees aang. her family decides o ground her becuase they think they let her have to much freedom, so she runs away to Aang, and decides that she will teach aang earthbending

P.S. Toph Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • toph is a cool charcter and shes cool at earthbending and this episode is VERY IMPORTANT

this episode is one of the best in the series introducing a new charcter in the series toph shes one of the GREATEST earthbenders in the series! even though shes blind she can see thorgh earthbending and thats cool she can do awsome earthbending in this episode and aang finnaly found a earth bending teacher i think this is the best episode of season 2 also (besides the season final) i like the part where aang fights toph in the begging even if its a very very short battle lol and i think that now aang and TOPH is the best charcters in the series (also the fire lord)
< 1 2 3 4 5