Avatar: The Last Airbender

The Boiling Rock (1)

Aired Friday 6:30 PM Jul 16, 2008 on Nickelodeon

• The Boiling Rock (1)

The Boiling Rock (1) was a perfect and very entertaining, suspensful, action packed episode of Avatar The Last Airbender. I really enjoyed watching this episode because it had a lot of character development for Sokka as well as Zuko who decided to help him. The story for this episode was amazing, and intricate. I thought it was cool how Zuko and Sokka worked together, and had each other's backs even after Zuko was captured. Sokka discovers a familar face and has some good scenes with her. I thought there were all the great elements that make this series great within this episode. I look forward to the next episode!!!!!!!
  • Funny, witty, and exciting, what more did you expect?

These past couple of episodes that has made Zuko the main character have been executed well and has explored some great and interesting character interactions. The last one dealt with Aang and Zuko, now it is Zuko and Sokka. Seeing Sokka's messy unorganized planning incorporated with Zuko's prideful and straight forward logical decision making has made for a rather enjoyable episode. Though it is not that alone; the events that have unfolded are also fun to watch; how that one prisoner that tried to escape and got caught was used as a device to contrast Sokka's decision making, along with Suki also be freed, really made your eyes glued to the screen hoping for the next miracle to just happen already.
  • This review is for both parts...

This has got to be one of the best episodes of the entire series! I was wondering when Sokka would finally trust Zuko. I guess traveling to a prison and helping each other escape from it did the trick (XD) This episode had so many twists and turns in it. There was the first escape plan that went wrong, and then that guy is now their friend and has joined their gang. There was also the fact that the warden is Mai's uncle. I got shivers down my spine when Mai turned up and actually helped Zuko and the gang escape. The biggest shocker was when Ty Lee saved Mai by disarming Azula. Now that was one thing I never saw coming! I'm glad Sokka and Zuko were able to save Sokka's dad and Sokka's girlfriend. I always liked her - she was cool. Especially when she was jumping over the heads of the prisoners and guards to get to the warden. That was cool!
  • Wow! These two should have there own show!

I really loved this two part episode which surprised me because most of the cast was not in it. Zuko and Sokka make a great team, they should have thee own spin off together. Throw in there girlfriends and it's perfect chemistry! I liked the plot, but I think what made the episode so great was the paring of Zuko and Sokka. Of course Zuko is my favorite; I could watch him in anything. But if you had paired him with Toph in this one it just wouldn't be as interesting. Sooooo glad that Sokka found Suki I really like them together. And I am no longer a Zutara fan because I can see now that Zuko really likes Mai and that it's probably a better match anyway. Katara looks much better with Aang. Overall the episode had great character development and was very entertaining. I wish I could see a 100 more like it.
  • I liked part 2 better.

"Boiling Rock Part 1" was part 1 of 2 in a special hour long episode of "Avatar: The Last Airbender" which aired during a week long premiere week of episodes leading up to the series finale "Sozin's Comet" called "Countdown to the Comet" and it was pretty good. I liked part 2 better, but it was still pretty awesome. I liked it mostly because it was about a Zuko and Sokka field trip, which I was really looking forward to it. I first saw it when it came out on DVD, but then watched it again when it was on tv. Good episode 9/10.
  • sets it up for the next episode

When Sokka wonders about his dad he asks Zuko where he thinks he might be. Zuko tells him that his father is probally being held at the Boiling Rock, the highest security prison in the firenation that sits on a volcano in the middle of a boiling lake. They decide to go rescue his dad but when they get there they find there are no watertribe prisoners, but they do find Suki. But when Sokka hatches an escape plan another prisoner gets involved and they also find out some prisoners are coming and that includes war prisoners. Sokka now has to choose between their freedom or seeing his father.
  • This episode is for sure one of my favorites

In the 14th episode of avatar the last airbender, Sokka is feeling bad that this father was captured with everyone else. So he asks sokka where they kept all of there war prisoners and he says they keep them on the boiling rock, the most secure prison ever.

So during the night, Sokka goes on to Appa, but Zuko is there, he says they'll take the war balloon instead. So they do, when they get to the boiling rock, they get on to land, the balloon is destroyed. They get guard outfits on and look for Sokka's dad.

Sadly, they can't find Sokka's dad, but they find something better, Suki. Sokka finds Suki and they reunit. Then they find a way to get out, but they hear new prisoners are coming in. So they wait and let other people escape. When the new prisoners come in, they don't see Sokka's dad, but at the end, they see Sokka's dad is the last one to come out. Overall, this is a really great episode, and for sure, one of my favorite of them all.
  • Includes review for Part I and Part II.

Part I; Off to the Boiling Rock
    This didn't have much of Aang. Not much of Katara. Not much of Toph. And not much of Momo or Appa. This was mostly just, Sokka and Zuko. It was so cool, to see an episode with Sokka and Zuko finally teaming up. And it's weird, still. Like Sokka really did hate Zuko in "The Western Air Temple", but two episodes later, they go on a quest to find Sokka's father! Amazing.

Part II; Escape from the Boiling Rock
    It was poor to see their plan fail. It would have been such a great plan, but I guess it would get too sweaty. Deciding whether or not to stay, was a good choice for Sokka. Still also poor to see, the guy making a lie to get Sokka out of trouble... when Zuko's ex-girlfriend tries to change the lie. But Mai was funny.

Guards: What are you doing?
    Mai: Saving the guy, who dumped me.
  • Part one

Avatar,
    The Boiling Rock (1),
    Ok the episode starts off with Sokka asking Zuko were does the fire nation keep people. The boiling rock is were the keep people in their jail. Sokka then plans to go to jail. Zuko comes to on Zuko's war ballon. The go and pretend to be guards. Sokka learns of a coller system when Zuko finds out sokkas father isnt in this jail. Sokka finds Suki instead and the plan a way out. To use the coller to move out of the boiling water. The plan fails when new people come. Sokka thinking his father might be there says behind with Zuko and Suki the other people go offf and try to escape they fail and are captured. Overall i liked part two better.
  • AWESOME EPISODE!

• Hmm.This is why I like Avatar:The last Airbender. *Spoiler warning!!

The Boiling Rock(Part 1) was very...Awesome. So suspenseful. And i just kept getting beter and better.Zuko and Sokka take Zuko's war balloon to the Fire Nation's Highest Security prison, the Boiling Rock.The Boiling rock was literally a prison in the middle of a volcano with boiling water. It reminded me of Alcatraz, a prison in the San Francisco Bay Area. Anyways, this episode is the very reason i like Avatar.Lots of action.Cleverly plotted.So suspenseful. It was very smart to disguise themselves as guards, use the "Coolers"of the prison against them, and ask other guards questions.Anyways, Part 1 of the Boiling Rock...Well, ROCKED!
  • The Alcatraz Island of Avatar The Last Airbender

This ep was amazing! i thought it was cool how Sokka wanted to go save his father and thought of the place were the most dangerous people of the fire nation go. I thought it was cool that Zuko went along cause first off he went alone with Sokka. After Zuko was ruthless to them in the majority of the series i thought it was cool that Sokka forgave him on the most part for what he has done in the past (In the Firebending Masters i beleave Aang for gave Zuko for this as well). When in The Boiling Rock i found it funny that a newb guard was able to do what veteran guards were able to you like visit and of the prisoner when ever he wants and stuff. I thought it was nice when Suki and Sokka reunited for the first time in a very long time. I thought it was awesome that Zuko toke the risk and got caught to let Suki and Sokka to have sum alone time. Also Zuko didn't know that he met Suki before and apologizes about burning down her village i thought that showed a big change in Zuko cause he is normally very stubborn lol all in all i thought this was a great episode cause it showed that Sokka and Zuko get along. lol
  • sokka and zuko go to the most secured fire nation prison to go find the troops from the invasion of the solar eclipse

i saw this episode again yesterday on july 17 2008. it was part of the countdown to the comet.i saw this epiosde a couple of months ago i think april...? i like this 1 hour long episode better than any other 1 hour long episode even day of black sun! i like this episode a lot. first zuko wants to regain his honor then aang wants to regain his honor and now sokka wants to regain his honor. so once they get there they dont see none other than suki! so now they have a reason to stay there a few days.
  • this was action packed and i cant wait 2 se the finale

this is really why i watch this show its funny action packed and it will keep me watching i never thought zuko would turn to the good side and katara looked way better than she did before but the writer who came up with this show is genious i can never stop wathcing this show its just cool to watch my sister thinks im wiert but if she just sits there and watches a few episodes she might like it but the show is addictive and i love it i hope they make a reveng of the fire nation show they can make a whole nother season of shows. I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Cool

Zuko and Sokka escape to the Boiling rock and try to save his father. Some other prisoners try to escape as well. Sokka disguises him self as a worker and Zuko also but he gets caught and recognized and becomes a prisoner. Suki tries to punch and hurt Sokka when he comes in and also Sokka's father arrives and he is so happy that he can see him once again. This was another awesome action episode and I liked it and it totally rocked. This episode gets a 10 out of 10 because it was just to great and Sokka was also funny.
  • A great episode that will keep you watching.

This episode is awesome! I like the very beginning where zuko starts to loosen up with the gaang. sokka asks zuko where are prisoners held when they are captured, Zuko said they were taken to the boiling rock an island near the fire nation and it's inescapable, and this is the very first time Zuko said one of the Gang's name :o Sokka tries to go the boiling rock but Zuko catches him, so they go to the together leaving a note that they gone fishing. Their interaction in the war balloon was very funny "That's rough buddy" lol. so when they get there the war balloon is destroyed and they disguise themselves as guards along the way they met Chit Sang a Firebdender and a place where all firebenders can't firebend The cooler. So They found out that there are no water tribe prisoners but they met SUKI! after a long season suki reunites with sokka (yay!) and tries to escape by using the cooler as a boat. but sokka, suki, and zuko bales the escape plan to find out if sokka's father is gonna be in the prison. This was an awesome episode! full of character development and action
  • CONTAINS SPOILERRRRRSSS!!!!!!awseomness coming :D

zuko and sokka decide to go the boiling rock prison, the highest security prison in the firenation. they plan to find hakoda. they disguise themselves as firenation guards to blend in and search for him. However, they learn that there are no water tribe prisoners there. they soon find suki and her and sokka have a heartwarming meeting. now they decide to leave. they think off an escape plan and someone else joins them. however, when sokka hears of war prisoners coming in . . . . . . . . he decides to stay . . . . luckily, his dad comes and sokka is very happy.....Make sure you watch it!!!! :D:D:D
  • Zuko and sokka travel to the boiling rock to rescue the war prisoners.

At first, sokka asks zuko where the war prisoners might be kept. Zuko reveals that they might be held at the boiling rock, the most sophisticated prison in the fire nation. Zuko and sokka take a war balloon to the prison, but is permenately damaged by the boiling lake. As they disguise themselves as guards, they welcome a new ally to the group, a firebending prisoner. Then they find Suki. And when these events happen, zuko is revealed and taken prisoner. The gang try to escape by using the cooler, but that fails. Then, a new hope, emerges. Sokka's father, Hakoda, arrives.
  • After two weak episodes, Avatar kicks back into action with the Boiling Rock. Spoilers follow.

In this episode, Sokka and Zuko attempt to rescue Hakoda from the prison "The Boiling Rock" to rescue Hakoda. Soon enough though, they find it will be more difficult then they first thought. Hakoda is not at the prison, but someone very close to Sokka is: Suki. Zuko winds up captured and their jail escape fails. Sokka discovers news that his father is being shipped over to the prison the next day. He'll just have to wait it out.

This episode had some great moments. The Zuko and Sokka conversations were priceless. Of course, I don't think they were total dorks at all unlike the mocking they've been receiving. In fact, they make a pretty powerful team as you'll see in part two.

This episode went smoothly, the animation was great for the most part, and it only gets better in part 2.
  • Sokka and Zuko infiltrate a high security Fire Nation prison in hopes of finding Sokka's father.

Okay, if you're me, you've been waiting for the Book 3 Volume 3 DVD for some time, and looking at it, you know that there are at least four epiosdes on there that have never aired in the U.S, the Boiling Rock two parter amoung them. I have it now but I feel weird about giving too much away as some peple may not have seen the episodes yet. However, I've decided I will do my review with no limits so don't read further because there are going to be spoilers. This episode in itself feels as though it may have been done before with the episode "Imprisoned", but this one takes it further, making the prison from "Imprisoned" seem like a day care. I was so happy to see Suki alive and almost amazed Azula took prisoners. Also seeing Suki and Sokka together again was pretty cool. Another brillant part to this episode was the escape plan developed by Sokka and you again see his mind in action. Even better is when the plan fails and even you, yourself are a little bit amazed you didn't see it coming. The ending is a little sub par but it beckons for the next part.
  • Zuko and Sokka try to save Hakoda in the jail fortunately they have another one to save Suki. They were able to escape with Hakoda, Suki, and a guy in the jail Chit Sang who became they're friend.

I thought this episode will go back to ba sing se unfortunately, that did not happen. Sokka and Zuko breaks through the fire nation's greatest prison "The Boiling Rock." The special jail was inside a volcano(unbelievable).They went their in order to save Sokka's Dad. Anyway, Zuko finally had Sokka's "trust" [because Zuko help Sokka save his dad(Hakoda)]. Suki's back, so is Hakoda(dad). A new comer named Chit Sang. During the end part of the episode,when Zuko, Sokka, Hakoda, Chit Sang and Suki were trying to escape Azula came but Mai and Ty Lee betrayed Azula. So Zuko, Sokka, Hakoda, Chit Sang and Suki eventually escaped!
  • Some Zuko and Sokka action! and Suki's Back! :D

This episode is awesome! I like the very beginning where zuko starts to loosen up with the gaang. sokka asks zuko where are prisoners held when they are captured, Zuko said they were taken to the boiling rock an island near the fire nation and it's inescapable, and this is the very first time Zuko said one of the Gang's name :o Sokka tries to go the boiling rock but Zuko catches him, so they go to the together leaving a note that they gone fishing. Their interaction in the war balloon was very funny "That's rough buddy" lol. so when they get there the war balloon is destroyed and they disguise themselves as guards along the way they met Chit Sang a Firebdender and a place where all firebenders can't firebend The cooler. So They found out that there are no water tribe prisoners but they met SUKI! after a long season suki reunites with sokka (yay!) and tries to escape by using the cooler as a boat. but sokka, suki, and zuko bales the escape plan to find out if sokka's father is gonna be in the prison. (which he is)

This was an awesome episode! full of character development and action but the only thing I can complain is that Sokka never didn't mention to rescue suki in the beginning of the episode :( but what the heck? she's rescued anyway!
  • oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmggggggggggg!

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg !
    this episode is the best so far.suki is back. sokka's father is back. mai and ty lee are no longer on azula's side and azula went crazy when she was betrayed. i still can't believe the punishment she gave to them, being imprisoned where azula will never see them again and where they will rot in prison. you can kind of see she will never forgive them. now i think it was nice that zuko helped sokka look for his father even though he knew where they were heading. when they got there they didn't find sokka's father but they found suki. then the next day they find sokka's father arriving as a prisoner. there is a zuko mai confrontation. suki does soma acrobatics and gets a small fight with ty lee. zuko and sokka fight with azula and eventually escape thanks to mai. where right before azula and mai fight ty lee uses her weird punches on azula and now they're in big trouble. oh and now there are 3 new members to the aang gang. suki sokka's father and some random prisoner guy.
  • With a few misses here and there, the beginning of Boiling Rock successfully lands on the right spot without any serious scathes.

After the events of Black Sun and the subsequent imprisonment of the rebel fighters, it seems plausible that said fighters would return again.

This episode acts as both an important epiphany and necessary device. The first being the long-awaited reappearance of Suki after her capture in Book 2. The second being Zuko's deeper development as part of the gang, as he proves himself worthy and interacts with them.

The plot was intricately and meticulously well-written. Sokka and Zuko breaks INTO a prison, to rescue Hakoda, his father.

Along the way, we are plunged once more into the reason why we despised the Fire Nation, a refreshing breath from the school in the Headband. The guards there are despicable, the warden is a proud and arrogant man, and the prisoners are treated with utter disrespect.

But the first miss of the show was the poorly-drawn out character of Chit Sang. Supposedly a good guy, he makes a memorable debut but descends from an ally to a nuisance and then to a person who hardly cares about his fellow prisoners, and finally an oaf who foils the plans.

However, the rest of the episode allows me to overlook that major flaw. With Suki being reintroduced back to the limelight, and Sokka's ingenuity shining once again, it's hard not to like this episode.

The writers' reference to previous episodes such as Zuko's breath of fire was also euphoric, and the ending can be considered a satisfying and exciting one that hints at more to come.

Likewise, the bending here is at a minimum, but this episode is clearly meant for subterfuge and espionage, something frequently seen in Book 3 and briefly touched in the 'Blue Spirit.' However, the animation is wonderful and above par, clearly something to applaud.

Overall, this is a great chapter and a good tension-inducing start for the finale that's yet to come.

A thumbs-up.
  • zuko and sokka meet a old friend sokka's father and a ally and enemy at a fire nation prison so they try to use teamwork to escape.

Zuko and sokka go to a fire nation prison where the try to find akota. They disguise as a guard and prisoner and they meet a old friend and a ally and a new enemy. They use team work to help lead to there escape but trouble is in the prison too. Mai is also there since the warden is her uncle and ty lee and azula come to prevent them from escaping the prison. this episode is way to couragous and very asstounding for people who love this show it totaly kicks the butt. And tylee and mai betray and attack azula too
  • sokka and zuko work together to get into the prison on boiling rock. who'd of thought that.

this episode is soooo cool, when sokka asked zoku where the fire nation would take prisoners, i couldn't belive it when he said he was going to try and get into the prison but with zuko helping him, you would think the last thing zuko would want is to go near a fire nation prison.
    its great that they found suki there, but when zuko is found out, the warden turns out to be mai's uncle, and hates zuko for leaving his neice. when they attempt to break out of the prison they find that another war prisoner has been sent there, is it someone familliar?...
  • Zuko and Soka go to the boiling rock prison to find soka's dad. He is not there but they find suki and rescue her. When they are about to escape they realize that Soka's dad just arrived and they plan to stay and help him escape too.

The story starts off with the gang at the western air temple. Soka secretly asks zuko where Hakota (soka's dad) is. Zuko tells him that he is at the boiling rock prison. So Zuko and Soka secretly go off to the boiling rock prison in the war balloon. They get there and crash land so they throw the balloon in the boiling lake. The prison is in the middle of a volcanoe with boling water surrouding it. The dress up as guards and try and find Soka's dad, but have no luck he is not there. But they do find Suki and try to escape, but right when they are about to leave they see Soka's dad arrived in a Gondela. The thing that the firenation uses to get to the prison from the outer edge of the volcanoe.
  • Awesome!

It was amazing!!!! This episode has to be the best episode in this season so far. The Boiling Rock leaves a lot questions answered, and a lot of new episodes! Plot twists, betrayal, love, heartbreak, action, comedy, shockers, and most important the story line. The story line was great. Four stars all around! The episode mostly focused around Sokka, Zuko, Hakoda and Suki. Yes that's right, Suki!!!!! She is back. And a new character to join the Anng Gang. This episode is a can't miss. Those months of waiting are over. It was worth the wait and you viewers should watch it.
  • The name and design of this prison is almost certainly a reference to Alcatraz Penitentiary, a real-world island prison, which was nicknamed "The Rock."

The episode opens up with Zuko giving them all tea, and a lame joke which would sound funny with Uncle Iroh saying it. Meanwhile, Sokka is a bit disturbed. He asks Zuko privately about what prison Fire Nation criminals would be placed at, and Zuko, hesitantly, answers that the place would be a prison out in the middle of a volcano, in the middle of the ocean, where the gang might have passed through while they were on their way to the Western Air Temple. The prison is called the Boiling Rock. Zuko is suspicious on why Sokka would ask such thing, to which the latter denies of going there. The next scene proves he lied, as he sneaked to Appa in the middle of the night. As he reached the saddle, he was caught by Zuko. Zuko, however, decides to go along with Sokka, not with Appa, but with a war balloon whom Zuko used as a transportation to the Western Air Temple. The next morning, the gang finds a note written by Zuko, who fabricates in the writing, saying that he and Sokka has gone fishing, and to remind Aang to do some workout for Firebending practice, much to his dismay. As Zuko and Sokka are on their way, they make it to the prison at night. They see a whole bunch of steam emitting from the volcano. Because of the steam, the fire supporting the war balloon dies out and they are forced to crash land, meaning there is no way off of the prison. The next morning, the duo dons Fire Nation guard uniforms. Meanwhile, there's a quarrel going on outside. Chit Sang, a firebending prisoner, "broke" the rule of "Not bowing down to a prison guard." After Chit Sang defies his rule, the guard walks away and makes a fire whip and uses it against Chit Sang. However, the latter parries this, making him really break a rule. Firebending is prohibited in the prison and is sentenced to a cooler, where the firebenders are freezing until they can't firebend for a while. Meanwhile, Zuko, at lunch break for the guards, asks some guards where dangerous criminals are confined at (Water Tribes, for instance). Zuko and Sokka meets up later on and Zuko tells Sokka that Water Tribe prisoners are not located in this prison, much to Sokka's sorrow. Sokka believes he failed, yet again, but Zuko tries to cheer him up with one of Iroh's wise sayings. Sokka does get cheered up, not by Zuko's attempt, but at the sight of Suki, who is returning to her prison cell. Sokka locates her cell and confronts her. Suki believes Sokka to be a Fire Nation guard and pushes him with full force, thus removing Sokka's helmet. Suki is overjoyed to see him and vice versa, then the two kiss. Zuko spots a guard coming and warns Sokka with some knocks on the door of the cell Sokka is in. Zuko tries to stall the guard, while Sokka escapes, but the guard noticing Sokka (in disguise) asks for help. Sokka is left with no other choice but to arrest Zuko. But while Zuko is in his prison cell, he is confronted by the warden, who knows Zuko because the warden is Mai's uncle. The warden states that Zuko had broken Mai's heart after Zuko left the Fire Nation. Soon, Zuko and Suki are up to mopping duty where Suki recognized Zuko from The Warriors of Kyoshi. Sokka gathers the both of them for a plan, later Chit Sang is involved as well. They plan to use a cooler to ride their way out like a boat. First, someone will need to screw a cooler cell free. Zuko volunteers. Zuko pretends to mop and bump into Chit Sang. Then, the both of them are fighting and Zuko firebends. After that, he is sent to a cooler cell and Sokka finds him. Zuko, having used his fire breath to keep warm, was successful in unscrewing the cooler free. However, guards pass by and the both of them hide and overhear information Sokka wanted: War prisoners would be coming the next day and Sokka thinks he'll see his father, Hakoda. That night, they bring the loose cooler cell and Chit Sang brings two of his accomplices. Sokka, knowing about the new arrivals of new prisoners tomorrow, stays at the prison to break his father out. Suki and Zuko agrees to stay, while Chit Sang leaves with his friends. At dawn, Chit Sang and his friends are burning in the cell, so Chit Sang breaks a piece of metal to use it as an oar, but unfortunately, he is burned by the steaming water and yells out in pain. The Fire Nation guards are now aware of an escape attempt and catches the cooler cell drifting away. Meanwhile, Sokka, Suki, and Zuko hides while watching the prisoners come out of the lift used to transport prisoners. After a few come out, Sokka loses hope of seeing his father, until one last person is called out: Hakoda.
  • Zuko and Sokka Visit a Firenation prison located in the middle of a boiling lake inside a volcano

this episode reveals that zuko is now a fully pledged member of the Gaang helping sokka go and rescue his dad. Zuko tells him that it is in the middle of a boiling lake on a volcano between the firenation and the temple. they take Zuko's war balloon to the place but lose the baloon from the heat of the steam and the balloon it cant fly. they crash land and sink the balloon, they discise themselves as guards then they find SUKI but Hakkoda is not there! then they planned on using cooler a chamber to stop people when they firebend and sail on one of them across the boiling lake. they dont go except for one guy and his mates then as they go back upto the prison the guy gets caught after some of the boiling water hits his hand, at the end sokka sees a gondola heading towards the prison with Hakooda on it which it cuts ou there onto the second part.
< 1 2