Avatar: The Last Airbender

The Crossroads of Destiny

Aired Friday 6:30 PM Dec 01, 2006 on Nickelodeon

• Dark Destiny

This was a great season two finale which I felt was really dark because it's one of those rare time where the good guys actually lose.

Threre really isn't a whole lot to say. I'll admit seeing Zuko make the wrong choice was heartbreaking, you'd think at this point he would make the right choice, listen to his uncle (whom I personally felt was his real father and family not Ozai and Azula whom both treated him like dirt) and join the Avatar and his friends. From that one interaction scene with Katara it really felt like it was possible, when you think about it that was also part of why Zuko was unhappy he's never really had any friends.

But it doesn't turn out that way Zuko's misconceived desire overrides his beter judgement and he instead helps Azula and betrays his uncle. It was I'll admit heartsinking, this didn't make me dislike Zuko but feel disappointed in him, it really shows Zuko hasn't learned enough, and from the look he has at the end he will pay the penalty for his wrong choice.

I really like the fight at the end seeing both Aang and Katara fight together, both really do make a great team and further proves why they should hook up, times like this should say something to Katara. But anyway, it really looked like both could of won the battle when we see Katara is about to overpower Azula and beat her but unfortunately Zuko stepped in and tipped the balance. Then Aang was about to unleash his Avatar power which was his last resort solution to a dire situation though he does it to save the one he loves Katara; it seemed like Aang and Katara might have a chance at winning but unfortunately fate/destiny weren't smiling on them as Azula uses lighting on Aang to stop his process.

Aang is now injured badly and Azula now controls Ba Sing Se, it was a surreal moment because it's one of those things you never think would happen but it did. Azula and the Fire Nation have won this battle, but the war is far from over.
  • The Crossroads of Destiny

The Crossroads of Destiny was a perfect and very entertaining season two finale. I really enjoyed watching this episode as Azula now controls Ba Sing Se through the Dai Li, Zuko is captured and thrown into holding with Katara and they had a moment together, and Mai wasn't about to get her hands dirty for Bosco anymore! I thought this episode definitely had a lot of complexity interwoven into the stories and they all came together in this episode. I really liked all the action scenes and seeing all of the bending skills. I can't wait to start watching season three!!!!!!!
  • Unexpected moments in this episode.

First off, Uncle Iroh was Toph's old friend? That was weird. Also, when Katara was with Zuko they started bonding, or something. Like right after that second Aang and Uncle Iroh broke in. Lastly, when Aang was about ready to destroy the whole army fighting him, Azula struck lightning at him and he was down. Then, Uncle Iroh traded the army while Katara escaped with Aang and Iroh was arrested. Due to that, the Fire Nation took over Ba Sing Se and Aang almost died, and that was the Season Finale of Season 2. That is one good thing about Avatar. Everything is unexpected. I like that. I thought the whole episode was pretty good.

Overall, there was not anything bad. A+
  • Brilliant plotting, followed by a genuinely shocking conclusion.

The writers have spent the entire second season giving Zuko every reason to turn away from his father. He has been banished; he is a fugitive from his own home; his sister has been hunting him just as he for so long hunted the Avatar. Meanwhile, Katara shows him the sort of genuine concern that no one, save for his uncle, has displayed toward him since his mother's disappearance. It even appears that Katara will use her healing abilities, along with the special properties of the spirit water, to heal the scar that has marked Zuko for as long as we've known him. The audience has every reason to believe that Zuko will join the Avatar's group, becoming his firebending teacher and helping him fulfill his destiny as the "master of all four elements."

So what does he do? He turns around and joins his sister, of course. The members of the audience - along with Katara and Iroh - are left shocked and horrified at his choice. Despite the shock value, this was also the more realistic choice; years of hardship would not be enough to make Zuko abandon his all-consuming goal of regaining his rightful place as crown prince. The drama is intensified with the constant signs of Zuko's improvement as a fighter and firebender; he is a far more formidable foe than the teenager we met at the beginning of the first season.

The shocks aren't over. During the battle against Azula and Zuko, Aang finally finds the strength of will necessary to enter the nearly all-powerful Avatar state - and is promptly shot in the back by Azula. As he falls, so does Ba Sing Se.

Even the most skeptical of viewers should be left reeling by this turn of events. If any episode in the series deserves a perfect 10, this is it.
  • Now this is what I call finally.

It is no lie, when I say I consider this episode as the best episode of Avatar. This is the episode that made me fall in love Avatar. The episode deals with complex themes of love, choice, honor, betrayl, emapthy, and destiny. To me Avatar was just a anime inspired cartoon but it was now a beautiful, philosphoical, and amazing series. From the start I was clinging to my seat watching every scene and loving every minute of it. The ending was suprising, sad, and most of all unpredictable. After seeing this episode I could not wait to see the "infamous" season 3.
  • As always Avatar fails to disappoint.

Well, this is an emotional episode in a different way. It made you engage throughout the whole episode; Azula's cunning and arrogant attitude in addition to Zuko's "betrayal". Zuko was just shaping up to be a really likable character, until he decided to team up with his most hated sister. Though half of the episode consisted of awesome and jaw dropping fights between Zuko and Azula vs. Aang and Katara. The creativity, sheer aesthetics and production values, it was all almost too perfect. You'd wish for a typical Hollywood ending, but the rather morbid ending is also a good thing; makes you curious how Aang and the rest of the world is going to handle such a predicament in their hands now that nothing stands in the fire nation's way.
  • Best episode sad ending

After refusing to master the Avatar state Aang travels back to the city to save Katara from the clutes of who ever got Katara and Zuko must make a Wait a flippin Mintue leave his train to save Katara is a reference in Star wars 5 and then Kataka hangs out with Zuko and learns more and then Aang and Katara battle Auzla and Zuko betryed and joins Auzla and more of theso freakin agents back up Auzla so makes a cave to master the Avatar state and the freakin show off Auzla blasts Aang with lighting and Aang lose power and Kataka save him and the Earth Kingdow has fallen if Aang dies the next avatar is an waterbender
  • Zuko and Katara are both captured by Azula. Aang fights to defend the Earth Kingdom. Will he be able to win?

This was a very good episode, but some parts really grated on my nerves. Zuko and Katara are both held captive by Azula. Trapped together, they talk and learn more about themselves. Zuko learns to respect and like Katara, and Katara realizes the good in Zuko and tries to comfort him. Aang appears with Iroh and saves them. Together, they go back upstairs to fight Azula. Zuko stands helplessly aside - unsure of which side to choose. He ends up choosing Azula's side, and helps her defeat Aang and Katara. Aang is badly hurt by Azula's lightning, and is knocked unconscious. Iroh sacrifices his freedom to help them escape.
  • Best episode.

This is my favorite episode. This is exactly what I was looking for. I mean I love when TV shows take a twist and have an exciting ending. I think this will be one of the many legendary episodes of Avatar. Some people didn't like it because of Aang getting killed in The Avatar State but they got to admit that was probably one of the best action episodes of Avatar. Mike DiMartino and Brian Kinitzko worked their butts off for this episode and it was the best episode yet. They work so hard everyday and they put together this fantastic episode.
  • The bad guys win... for now...

The last episode of Avatar's sophomore season was epic to say the least. Azula, Ty Lee, and Mai ignited the coup, Aang refuses to open his last chakra, and Zuko is faced with a decision.

Since the gang journeyed to Ba Sing Se, season 2 has been full of political intrigue. We see censorship, figurehead royalty, and corruption, which are all very valid themes that one can find in the world today. The complexity of all this is ratcheted up a bit when Azula takes over the Dai Li, and begins her takeover of Ba Sing Se. Ultimately, Azula has complete control over the Dai Li, and completely avoids the backstabbing of Long Feng. It's great to see a plot thread in a cartoon (a Nickelodeon one especially) this complex.
    Meanwhile, the Guru tells Aang to let go of his feelings for Katara, which he feels he needs to do, but while he's meditating, trying to let her go, he has a vision of her in trouble, so he leaves the Guru. The Guru warns him that he will not be able to go into the Avatar State at all, but that doesn't stop him. He finds Sokka and Toph and journeys back to Ba Sing Se with them.

Iroh and Zuko are asked to "serve tea to the Earth King", but of course it's just one of Azula's traps. When Azula corners them, Iroh gets away, while Zuko stays, now faced with a tough decision, between living his own life, or restoring his honor.

All this culminates on an epic scene, in which Iroh and Aang team up to save Zuko and Katara, while Toph and Sokka go to the throne room to duke it out with Ty Lee and Mai. There is a huge battle scene in the prison in which Aang, Katara, and Iroh face off against the Dai Li and Azula. During all this, Zuko makes his decision, he decides to help Azula, and restore his honor. I'm impressed at how detailed the action scenes are in Avatar, and they've only gotten better. This was a very well though out, well choreographed scene. There is also one moment toward the end of this scene in which Iroh begs Zuko to follow his own path, while Azula asks him to join her, this will most likely lead to another very tough decision for this extremely well-written character to make.

Iroh is imprisoned, Aang is wounded, and Ba Sing Se is lost to the Fire Nation by the end of the episode. Like most 2nd installments of trilogies, the bad guys win, raising the stakes even higher for the 3rd and final season.
  • I am so mad and disapinted..........

They have been building up the character of Zuko all year to turn into a good guy, what a waste! He's right back to where he started. What was the last episode about, with him being sick? Why did they even write that stuff? Why would he ever join forces with Azula? He hates her! Poor Uncle. He's as diapointed as I am. I don't think we will be seeing Iroh next season. I hope they recast the voice but I don't think they will.

Sokka and Toph hardly had any scenes, another big waste.

Aang is way more powerfull then what this episode portrayed. The fight with Azula should have been over before it started. The only thing I liked about it was Katara's powerfull display of water bending. Other then that, I didn't care for it.
  • One of the best Avatar episodes ever.

This episode has more to it than just action. Sure Azula and Zokko fight Aang and Katara and the Dilee agents turn against the Earth King. But the real story it the stuggle for Zokko and Aang. Zukko's struggle is to become and stay good. Aang's struggle is to let go of Katara for the betterment of the world. As Uncle Iro said," Zokko you are now at the cross roads of your destiny you must choose your path", or something along those lines. Zokko chooses to evil and Aang choose to let go of Katara. Some people missed this fact and were arguing the season finally that Aang could not go into the avatar state because he didn't let go of Katara. Aang earth bended the crystals around him and said, "I'm sorry Katara" and let go to go into the avatar state. Then he got shot by Azula. In my oppion this episode was the best episode besides the season finally.
  • As Aang rushes to Ba Sing Se to save Katara from the hands of Azula(who is planning a coup of the earth kingdom)things become harder and harder until it leads to a climictic ending Zuko & Azula (later the Dai Li join)vs Aang & Katara.

A great episode. It isn't too dramatic and at the same time the action in this episode brings excitement to you. Finally reaching its peak when Zuko is about to be healed of his scar by Katara. It brings everything in the last few episodes together for the final battle of season 2 to happen in the crystal catacombs of Ba Sing Se. In this battle we get to see unseen techniques: Azula,s booster-type attack, and Aang's crystal armor attack. We also get to see Katara use her octupus form in a competitive battle; as well as Iroh hold his own for a while against the Dai Li and Zuko. As well as Zuko's decision: to help the avatar or reclaim his "honor".
  • does aang die!?

hell yeah! this is my last episode review for the day and now i can get off the computer and think of some better use of my time. whoa azula blasted aang when he was entering the avatar state. is aang going to die because he has a fatal wound in his back or is he going to live because of the spirit water that was first seen in episode 1 (the avatar state) when pakku gave it to katara. time for season 3 to come! even though it already came in september 2007 and we are now in july 2008
  • Zuko and Katara are captured and put in the same room. Instead of fighting, they talk to each other and discover what they have in common. Later, Azula convinces Zuko to fight with her. When Aang goes into the Avatar state, someone gets seriously hurt.

I really loved this episode. First off, I liked it when Zuko and Katara are in that crystal room and instead of trying to kill each other, they talk and learn that they have something in common: the war took their mothers from them. I also liked it when Iroh comes to Aang, Sokka, and Toph for help. It must have been really weird for Aang and Sokka to find out that an incredibly powerful firebender had became friends with Toph. And it was really exciting at the end when Aang opens the last chukra by letting go of Katara. This was a really great episode, I hope the finale is as good or better (if that's possible) than this.
  • Azula, Mai, and Tylee are dressed as the Kyoshi Warriors and they go into Ba Sing Se to take it down. When they get in the Earth King welcomes them as honored guests. They team up with the Dai Li to overthrown the Earth King. Azula needs Zuko's help.

I liked this episode alot. There was many things wrong with episode. At least I thought there was. Like, when Zuko and Iroh were trying to escape; Iroh could of defeated the Dai Li and Azula. He is the dragon of the west. I do not know he had to run. When Aang and Katara were fighting Azula and Zuko. Aang is way more powerful then Zuko. I think why Aang lost is because he kept using earth bending and, he is kind of new to earth bending so he can not earth bend really well. Like, as soon as Zuko shot fire at him he pulled the wall up as fast as he can and, fire managed to get around his little wall. He was down for a couple of seconds. I say Katara was winning the battle between Azula because they was water right beside her. Kartara still was hurt because Zuko helped Azula out if she needed it. There were the reasons I thought this episode were kind of messed up. Other than those mess ups I thought the episode was excellent. I really like Avatar the last airbender. It my favorite show on televsion that has ever aired.
  • The Epic conclusion to Season 2

This Episode Was The Bomb!! it was totally brilliant in every way and every sense of the word. it truly and definitely deserves a perfect score. this episode had it all. action, multiple twists and strong emotion. i actually broke into some tears while watching as the conclusion was really heartbreaking and all i can say is that this episode has been one of the best season finales i have ever seen.
    there were major character developments here. first we see that toph has now discovered the unique ability to bend metal, thanks to her 'sensing' of the fragments of earth in metal. secondly, we see aang go to the eastern air temple to master the avatar state by unlocking his seven chakras. it was really informative and it gives a lot of insight on aang's personality. we also hear him publicly profess his love for katara and his refusal to let her go even when the circumstances require him to do so. as for zuko, we see that he is still deeply conflicted and chose to follow his dark side and aid his sister in the coup, while betraying iroh. the fight scene between aang, katara, zuko and azula was indeed well choreographed and spectacular. but the most praise has to be given out to the ending, which i find was really unexpected and tear-inducing. it was by far the most emotional part of the series by far. and to cap an excellent season finale, the final words uttered by the earth king were 'the earth kingdom has fallen'. Bravo!! :)
  • Season Two comes to an end on this epic episode

In the season finale episode of avatar the last airbender. this episode comes with the battle between the gang and zuko and azula. one problem, aang is still with the guru and katara is no where to be found. but lucky, they find where katara is, but she's with zuko! iroh comes and gets zuko, the others go to katara.

In the end of the episode, aang learns how to control the avatar state, but is striked with blue lightning when in it. Toph went to see her parent, but is captured. Sokka went out to see his dad. The never last thing we see is that Ba Sing Se is fallen to the fire nation. The fire nation now control the earth kingdom. Overall, this is a very epic episode that will go down in avatar history!
  • eveyone is racing against time to stop azula from conquering ba sing se best episode of season 2

aang is now finally stepping it up and fullfilling his destiny as avatar. in this spectacular, fabulous, riveting, exciting, extrodinary, supercalifragilisticespialodocious, wonderful and dare i say spectacular and amazing, aang finally learns how to master the avatar state and is now racing against time to rescue katara from the so called "kyoshi warriors" who are really azula, ty lee, and mai in disguise. toph and sokka try to stop azula's cuop (is that how you spell it?) in taking out each of the five genereals simultaneasly and then the earth king. aang and iroh go to the crystal catacombs under the earth king's palace to save katara and zuko, who is still struggeling to make the right choice. however, azula catches up with them, and the battle of the season rages on. will they win the battle? will aang master the avatar state once and for all? will zuko choose the right side? and will azula conquer ba sing se? and was the preview of katar touching zuko on the face real? find out next time nickelodeon airs it in 9001 A.D. :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • The Episode was Riddiculus

6.8
    This episode made no sense, because "the guru" clearly said if you leave before you open all the chakras you wont be able to enter the Avatar state "AT ALL" and Aang begins to go into the avatar state before he gets hit by azula.

I say it was slightly robotic because it seems like Aang could have easily defeated Azula + Zuko, but only fought so poorly, due to the fact that the writers already came up with a ending and the fight scene had to fit. for example Aang made that crystal armor when he should have just thrown huge rocks at her, or did what Katara was doing with the octopus tentacles (Katara was actualy about to defeat Azula but Zuko saved her at the last minute). Aang should have been able to defeat Zuko much faster like he always does with his air bending, but this time he does things like making big rocks fall from the celing and knocks himself out along with Zuko, which is completly retarded! and Aang shouldnt have just been floating their when he did go into the avatar state...
  • A coup is staged by Azula with the Dai Li, everyone races to stop her.

This episode is a great way to finish off Book 2: Earth. The fight scenes were great and left us on the edge of our seats. There is an amazing fight between Iroh, Zuko, Katara, Aang, and Azula. There are many twists in this episode and it makes the viewers want to watch Book 3: Fire. Crossroads of Destiny is easily in my top 5 favourite Avatar episodes, mainly because of the fight scenes and the fact that it was so well written. Overall Crossroads of Destiny is a great episode, it has some of the best fight scenes. I give it a well earnt 9 out of 10.
  • This episode was nothing but special.

The unfortunate turnout of the entire episode was that the Earth Kingdom has fallen and Aang has been potentially killed.

I don't remember a whole lot, but I do know that enemies and villians alike were working together to stop Azula's plan to taking over the Earth Kingdom. Unfortunately, they don't succeed. Aang tried to go into the Avatar state to stop her, but, as Avatar Roku told him before, if you're killed in the Avatar State, then reincarnation cycle is ended, the avatar living no more.

Before he came become completely endulged in the Avatar State, Azula uses her lightning bending to shock him, making it seem that she killed him. Luckily, Katara does everything in her power to heal him with her waterbending, leading to the episode: The Awakening, where he finally wakes up, but on a fire nation ship. All in all, saddest episode ever.
  • the coup of ba sing se is about to take place with azula leading the charge. aang goes to the eastern air temple to learn how to master the avatar state while sokka goes to meet his dad and toph gets kidnapped.

• Great finally, except for the fact that we had to wait 9 months to see what happend next..

The episode begins with Sokka and Aang both hurrying back to Ba Sing Se on Appa; as they fly along, they spot Toph, who is trying to get back to the Palace as quickly as she can. They pick her up and fly to Ba Sing Se, trying quickly to get there to see if Katara is all right. When asked if he had mastered the Avatar State, Aang lies to the others, saying that he has. Meanwhile, deep underground, Azula---who has been given control of the Dai Li by Long Feng for the planned coup---works quickly to establish her position of leadership and make them fear and obey her. She tells them all that soon the Earth King will lock them away, just as he did to Long Feng. This inspirational fear is shown later on when one agent visits Long Feng, and when asked about Azula, says that she is both terrifying and inspirational. Iroh and Zuko arrive at the Earth King's palace, on the esteem invitation they received to serve him tea. While waiting for the King, the two become somewhat apprehensive. A circle of Dai Li agents surround Iroh and Zuko, and it quickly is revealed to be a plot by Azula. Zuko takes a defensive stance; however, Iroh takes a different approach. He calmly asks Azula if she ever heard why Iroh earned the nickname, "Dragon of the West," to which Azula just waves him off and says she has no time for lengthy anecdotes. Instead of a verbal narrative, Iroh sips at the tea before him and suddenly begins to breathe fire, attacking the Dai Li agents surrounding him and Zuko. The two begin their escape, dodging projectiles of earth fired by the Dai Li, and Iroh destroys a wall with a blast of lightning. He leaps out of the Palace, lands on the ground and tells Zuko that they must escape. However, Zuko decides that it is time to end this running away and turns to fight Azula. After Zuko challenges her to an Agni Kai, she turns him down and turns her back, and he is captured by the Dai Li. Meanwhile, the gang arrives in Ba Sing Se and goes to see the Earth King, who tells them not to worry: Katara is fine, and after the meeting with the Council of Five, she decided to go with the Kyoshi Warriors still unaware that they are actually Azula, Ty Lee and Mai in disguise. When the team goes to their house, they find it empty and they realize Katara is indeed in danger. As the gang searches the apartment, Toph senses someone at the door, but she soon knows who it is after a knock. She tells Aang and Sokka that it is an old friend of hers, Iroh. He tells them that Azula has captured Zuko, and he says that he needs their help. Sokka grows defensive; however, after Aang puts the whole image into perspective, Sokka changes his mind and the gang heads outside. Once there, they trap the captured Dai Li agent (caught by Iroh) in a pinch of rocks, and after Sokka's questioning, the gang learn that Katara is being held in a secret underground cave that is part of Old Ba Sing Se. Katara stands in a dark, crystal-lighted cave when suddenly a light shows: Above, the entrance opens and Zuko is thrown down. When he first comes in to the cave Katara becomes defensive. She is initially furious to see him. She tells him that all he cares about is capturing the Avatar, and how spreading war and hatred is in his blood. When she says that he does not know the pain of the Fire Nation killing her mother, Zuko apologizes, and says that this is something they both have in common, softening her slowly. Outside the Palace, the gang discovers that there is indeed a huge underground city, and decides that Toph and Sokka should go to warn the Earth King about the coup, and Iroh and Aang are sent to rescue Katara and Zuko. Traveling down a tunnel to this prison, Aang mentions that Toph says Iroh gives great advice and tea. He also tells him of the events of his meeting with Guru Pathik. When questioning his choice, and saying how he doubts his abilities without the Avatar State, Iroh suggests that Aang was very wise to choose happiness and love over power and perfection, which are both overrated in his opinion. Outside of the palace, Sokka and Toph soon see General How, but before they can say anything, the Dai Li place him under house arrest. At that very moment, every general is arrested. The two make it into the Throne Room, and they reveal to the Earth King that the girls are not Kyoshi Warriors. Upon seeking Sokka, Ty Lee starts to flirt with him, but he says that he is involved with Suki. Ty Lee does not know who Suki is, which exposes them and Toph throws her to the side with some rocks. Mai, realizing that their identities were exposed, threw a hail of ornate shurikens at Toph, who blocked them with a wall of earth. Ty Lee begins to "fight" Sokka. However, the fighting is in vain, as Azula soon has the King at flame-point. Sokka and Toph give up immediately, and are soon disabled by Ty Lee. Long Feng appears and immediately orders the Dai Li to arrest Azula; however, to his shock, they do not comply. Azula happily explains the situation to Long Feng; the Dai Li don't know which of them is more powerful. She guesses that he is lower class by birth, but had managed to get his power through incredible work all his life; however, she declares that she has "divine right to rule," and confidently takes the Earth King's throne. Long Feng surrenders, bowing to Azula, admitting how she beat him at his own game. Down below in their prison, Katara apologizes to Zuko for how she yelled at him, and tells him that for a long time, whenever she saw the face of the enemy, she saw Zuko's face. He turns away, touching his scar, assuming she was referencing his scar; a mark he feels that was once symbol to his banishment, and to his "destiny" of chasing the Avatar forever. However, he has gained Katara's trust to the point where she offers to heal his scar using the water from the Spirit Oasis. However, before she can do anything, Aang and Iroh show up, both of them embracing Katara and Zuko, respectively. Zuko and Aang exchange glares, and Zuko grows angry that Iroh was with the Avatar, and Iroh sends Katara and Aang off to help Sokka and Toph. Iroh then explains to Zuko that he is a different and changed man, stronger and wiser than ever before. He tells Zuko that he is time for him to choose good. However, a mass of crystals entraps Iroh, and Azula emerges. She says that she expected this sort of treachery from Iroh, but not from her brother. She begins to feed him tales of how this is the most glorious day in Fire Nation history, and that if he joins her, Zuko will gain back his father's love and honor. Iroh begs Zuko to not listen to Azula, telling him that the kind of redemption Azula is offering is not the redemption for him, but Azula continues to plot, telling Zuko how she has planned everything, and that they will only win if he joins her. Iroh begs even more, for Zuko to look deep inside his heart and see what he truly wants. Azula sends the Dai Li away, and tells Zuko that he can chose whatever he wants, and she walks away; leaving him to ponder the two sides of the coin. Aang and Katara rush to save Toph and Sokka, however, Azula finds them and fires bolts of her 'blue fire' at them. Aang is able to stop the blast with earthbending. Katara then sends a spiraling wave of water at Azula, who burns it and is left unharmed. Then Zuko shows up. After a brief moment of dramatic tension, Zuko begins fighting on Azula's side, to everyone's amazement. At first, Aang and Zuko battle fairly evenly, showing Zuko's progression as a fighter (in the second episode he could barely land a hit and the Avatar only knew air-bending at the time); meanwhile Katara is able to outclass Azula to the point that she has to be rescued by Zuko. Eventually, in the midst of the battle, the two pairs switch off, with Zuko now fighting Katara, both using element whips on opposite sides of a river. Katara expresses her angry disappointment in Zuko, how she thought he had changed. He replies inscrutably, "I have changed." Aang and Azula charge at one another, Azula sends a blast of fire, sending Aang soaring into the air. Back in the Palace, Ty Lee is trying to teach Bosco the Bear how to walk on his front legs, but soon she is trapped by Toph. Toph and Sokka take a fighting stance against Mai, who in her nonchalance says to take the bear and the King reunites happily with his pet. Underground, the fight continues on, with Katara taking on both Zuko and Azula, before Aang manages to stand back up from being thrown earlier. He slams into the ground, creating a tidal wave of Earth barreling towards Azula and Zuko, but he is stopped by the Dai Li. Soon they are joined by dozens of Dai Li agents, and Katara assumes the Octopus stance. Horribly outmatched, Aang realizes there is no other choice and does the only thing he can think of---creating a quick crystal shelter with Earthbending, he meditates, and decides to try to release his attachment to Katara in order to enter the Avatar State. At first he appears to succeed, but as he rises into the air, Azula shoots him with a lightning bolt to the back. As Aang falls back to the ground, Katara creates a huge wave by Waterbending, and manages to scatter the Dai Li, Zuko, and Azula; and catch him before he hits the ground. Holding him in tears, she is defenseless, but Iroh suddenly appears. He tells the two to escape, and that he will hold off Azula and the others as long as he can. Once they escape, Iroh surrenders himself to the Dai Li and glances at Zuko, quickly turning his head in shame. The entire group manages to escape and while flying away on Appa, Katara uses her Spirit Oasis water to heal Aang, who initially appeared dead. With a quick flash of light, nothing occurs, and Katara begins to cry and holds Aang close. Then Aang's tattoos glow shortly and he opens his eyes and faintly smiles at her. Overwhelmed and relieved that he is okay, Katara embraces him closer. Meanwhile, in the palace Zuko frets over betraying Iroh. However, Azula reassures him by telling him that it was actually Uncle that betrayed them, not the other way around. Zuko then asks Azula about returning to the Fire Nation, raising his doubts about being accepted and having his honor restored since he does not have the Avatar. Azula again reassures him by saying that he has restored his own honor, though Zuko still seems unsure. Azula is firmly in control of the city, and as the Earth King, Bosco, Momo, Toph, Sokka, Katara, and Aang fly atop Appa's back over the Outer Wall and out of the city, the Earth King looks back and sadly proclaims, "The Earth Kingdom.....has fallen."
  • "The Earth kingdom... has fallen."

What a sad ending! Ba Sing Se has been controlled by Fire Nation, Dai Li turns back to be Fire Nation's servant, Aang is being Unconscious, Zuko return to Fire Nation. What could be worse?

This is the most dramatic and emotional chapter in season 2. The producer knows about making a good ending. I almost cry at the end of the show. I remember when first time watching this chapter. At that night, I couldn't sleep because I wanted to see the next season as soon as possible. Now, we all know the story. I review this episode because it's a turning point of the story. Beside that, there is a cool bending battle between Aang-Katara and Zuko-Azula, and a Zutara scene! What will they do if Aang and Iroh didn't come in the crucial moment? And the overall result is: Great as usual
  • Azula finally plotted out every move of taking over Ba Sing Se, the final decision for Zuko has come, it time for him to choose. As for Aang he must use all his strenth to defend the capital city...

The final battle between the good and evil begins, the destiny of Ba Sing Se -- the great Earth Kingdom capital city had come to the last moment.
    Unfortunately, Zuko was reminded of his mission of capturing the avatar when Aang gave him the hatred look. At the last minute Zuko disappointed everyone by standing with Azula. Soon, Aang and Katara were out numbered by Dai Li Agents, and Aang was forced to enter the avatar state in exchange for his inclination for Katara. However, when Aang was strucked by lighting from Azula, the last hope for saving Ba Sing Se was finally diminished. Iroh showed up in the critical moment to hold the Dai Li off, but he soon surrendered after the escaping of Katara and Aang.
    In the dim night without a moon, Ba Sing Se had fallen...
    Zuko's honor was finally restored, but he was confused, will he ever be able to turn around in the road that he had been walking for three years?
  • Crossroads of Destiny Zuko's destiny is revealed. Season finale of Book 2: Earth. Must-watch for anyone who is and avatar fan and everyone who isn't.

This episode starts off with Aang and Sokka flying on Appa. Aang explains to Sokka why he came back and interrupted Sokka battle. Aang says that he had a vision in which Katara was in danger and he needed to save her. As they're flying they run into Toph who was coming back from being captured. As they come back into Ba Sing Se, Toph and Sokka want to know if Aang mastered the avatar state. Aang hasn't but he doesn't want his friends to know he failed so he said that he did master it with no problems. When they come into Ba Sing Se it seems at first as if there are no problems. The Earth King said that Katara was talking with the war generals and she's probably in her room with the Kyoshi warriors. However, when they check in the room it's deserted.

Meanwhile, Iroh and Zuko's teashop had a lot of success. In the last episode they received an invitation to serve tea for the king. However, this is all a trap placed by Azula. While Zuko and Iroh are waiting for the king to come, they are attacked by Azula and the Dai Li. Iroh fights them off and jumps down the building expecting Zuko to come with him. However, Zuko tries to fight back and is quickly captured. Then Iroh comes to Aang's room. Iroh explains that Azula is in the city and she captured Zuko and probably Katara. Toph detects an underground city and Aang and Iroh go to rescue Zuko and Katara. Toph and Sokka go to rescue the Earth King. Zuko is thrown in the same dungeon as Katara was. Katara is angry with Zuko because the Fire nation took away her mother. Zuko replies that the Fire nation took away his mother, too. Katara is surprised by this and realizes that Zuko isn't the enemy anymore. Katara soon forgives Zuko and even offers to use the spirit water from the oasis in the North Pole to heal Zuko's scar. This is when Iroh and Aang come in. Iroh hugs Zuko and Aang hugs Katara. Zuko is surprised and angry that Iroh was working at the avatar. However, Iroh advises Zuko that it is his "crossroads of destiny" and Zuko's choice is coming up. Iroh also says that Zuko will decide to be on the good side.

Sokka and Toph enter the Earth King's chambers. They think the Kyoshi warriors are there but it is actually Ozai's angels in disguise. Toph realizes this and starts fighting the Kyoshi warriors. Sokka and Toph are easily beaten and put into a metal cage with the Earth King. After the generals and the Earth King are defeated Long Feng is released. Long Feng tries to betray Azula and take back the Dai Li and the Earth Kingdom but the Dai Li are no longer loyal to Long Feng and only to Azula.

Aang and Katara leave that dungeon while Iroh and Zuko stay behind. This is when Azula comes. Azula tells Zuko that he in not a traitor like Iroh. The Dai Li with Azula earthbend Iroh into a prison. Azula tries to convince Zuko to join her in stopping the avatar. Iroh protests against this and is silenced. Azula tracks down Aang and Katara and finds them. They quickly begin a battle. Aang's and Katara's skills are shown to have been greatly improved. With a combination of water, earth, and airbending Azula is almost beaten. Then Zuko comes and shoot a fireball stopping all attacks. All three combatants look up to see whose side Zuko is going on. Then Zuko attacks Aang. With Zuko's help, the tide of the battle is turned. Zuko manages to defeat Aang. He then sees that Katara has overpowered Azula with a waterbending move. Zuko frees and saves Azula and starts to fight Katara. Katara's face shows hatred as she exclaims that she trusted Zuko and he betrayed her. They continue to fight when Aang is knocked down by Azula's lightning. Aang tries and powerful earthbending move, which would have beaten Azula, is the Dai Li hadn't come and stopped the attack. Dozens of Dai Li surrounded Aang and Katara. Aang realizes that his only chance is to master the avatar state. And to do that he must let go of Katara.

Aang makes a tent of rock and concentrates on opening his seventh charka. He goes all glowy and starts to rise. Katara has a look of relief. Zuko and the entire Dai Li and staring at Aang as he tries to open his seventh charka. He is almost there when Azula attacks Aang with a lightning bolt, locked all of Aang's charkas. Aang falls and it looks like he's dead. Katara is worried and uses waterbending to rise up and catch Aang.

Toph uses metalbending to get them out of the cell they were locked in. The Earth King demands they rescue Mosco, the king's pet bear. Toph overpowers Ty Lee and Mai allows them to take the bear. With that, Sokka, Toph, the Earth King, and Mosco go on Appa to get Aang and Katara.

Iroh manages to free himself and stops the Dai Li from capturing Aang and Katara. Iroh holds off the Dai Li while Aang and Katara escape on Appa. Iroh is then defeated.

Katara uses the spirit water from the oasis on Aang. Aang is revived from death. Aang realizes he can't rely on the avatar state to help him anymore and he must do everything on his own. He is also unsure what happened to the avatar spirit when he died.

The Earth King announces that the Earth Kingdom has fallen.
    Zuko is worries that his father won't restore his honor, even after the avatar is supposedly dead. Azula tells him that their father doesn't have to restore his honor. She says that Zuko restored his own honor.
  • Great episode

This is the season two finale that gave us the 10 month horrible cliff hanger . However i absolutely loved this episode to bits. to me it was so well written and it was almost perfect in every way . I loved how azula in her cunning and cool state of mind shot aang down while everyone else was in awe but she still was able to shoot him down and out him out of commission for a pretty long time. also i liked how the title of the episode perfectly reflected the point of the episode. My favorite character zuko and also katara and toph to all showed exceptional prowess in their bending skills. All in all it was superb and i wish all could appreciate it.
  • Fine example of the creators having the fans in the palm of their hands...

We have been tricked...which is a good thing. If the writers were to go with what fans predicted (Zuko turning good & teach Aang, Azula & Friends getting kicked out of Ba Sing Sei, and Lei Fong getting what he deserved) this would be VERY boring to watch.

HOWEVER, this episode caught the majority of fans off guard.

The climax in the end with Aang left me very speechless, but to give away the ending would leave those reading this who have not watched it a sense of being robbed of the experience. 10/10. I can't wait tell new episodes come out.
  • The best ep of season2.

This episode is awesome at the ending fight scene.I mean the way Zuko was owning Aang.The best part was him fighting Katara and those Zutarians didn't see it coming.I'm sure it was very emotional for the fans who like Aang when he got shot down from trying to enter the avatar state.But i'm very curious on how the season 3 premiere will turn out.But I think that it will have to do with Zuko going back to the firenation and will probably end up slaying his father in the very end.The best episode so far in my opionin,can't wait to see what happens next.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10