Avatar: The Last Airbender

The Day of Black Sun (1): The Invasion

Aired Friday 6:30 PM Nov 30, 2007 on Nickelodeon

• Well this was crap.

This was crap. First it demend the 7 chakra's when Aang tells toph about it, she just ignores it. In the season 2 finale she asked aang about and seemed to be intrested. The episode also had incredibly stupid lines "Pants are illusion so is death" and "they're destructive and delicious". Also why did Sokka invite the boulder and the hippo, they we're never their friends. More character were just needed. Sokka's embarassing speech was so unsokka like. I'm pretty sure I have seen Sokka speak in front of large crowds. Also can anyone tell me why Zuko betrayed his father after the war meeting. Who is Zuko? What was he before his scar? If him being a prince wasn't him and him at ba sing se wasn't him. Who is Zuko. So many strings left untied. One final question why is Serena Williams in this episode?
  • The Day of Black Sun (1): The Invasion

The Day of Black Sun (1): The Invasion was a perfect and very entertaining episode of Avatar The Last Airbender. I really enjoyed watching this episode because it was the first part of the invasion of the Fire Nation. I thought the Fire Nations Gate's of Azula were pretty cool. I enjoyed seeing Sokka's new invention which was ingenious! It was also cool to see some familiar faces that have come to help. Zuko has been fighting himself internally for some time now, and it seems he has made a decision, but as to what exactly is left unknown for now. I look forward to watching the second half of the invasion of the Fire Nation!!!!!!!
  • A good episode. Lots of action and enjoyable to watch.

The attacking group consisting of the gang, Katara and Sokka's father and a few other people that they met along their journy are attempting an attack to end the war once and for all. They do stealthy submarine tricks to manouver themselves into the city. While the others fight the Fire Nation from the outside, Aang searches inside the city for the Firelord. But the Firelord already knows about their plan to attack on the solar eclips and goes into hiding. Aang arrives in the city to find it totaly empty. This episode is exciting, funny and has everything an episode needs.
  • The invasion starts.

There haven't been many actual large scale battles in this show so far, and when there were, they were a treat, such as the ending to season one. The current invasion is also stirring up to be pretty promising. Just the sheer epic ness of watching two sides going at it, and to make it even more of a treat, it's really neat to see how elemental bending substitutes modern warfare, such as submarines, torpedoes, etc. Although the episode has concentrated mostly on the war, it did a nice job of giving some character development to Sokka leading the invasion. It also ends in a nice twist and makes you excited for the next episode.
  • everyone is ready for the attack on the fire nation capital.

everyone comes to help out aang to invade the fire nation capital. aang got a new glider since his old glider broke . so far everything is going well and the solar eclipse hasnt started yet. the solar eclipse is only 8 minutes so aang has to defeat the fire lord then. everyone is giving it their all and they even break through a wall. but when aang goes into the apalce he doesnt find anyone. when he finds the place where the fire lord sits, he sees that nobody is there. he has figured out that the fire nation has planned ahead.
  • finally the invasion!

The day of the eclipse has arrived, and the invasion force gathers together to make last preparations. They infiltrate the island and the battle begins. Meanwhile, Aang searches for the Firelord. But, will he find him and will the invasion go as planned? find out on november 30...wait that already passed.....
    no one bash me on this but i though it was actually good that nickeldoeon didnt air this on november 23. it gave them more commerical time and more people could know about this. so kudos to you nick for that wonderfull thing you have done. and i am not being sarcastic.
  • great start to the invasion

So this was the whole invasion plan. Aang had to beat the Fire Lord Ozai when there was a solar eclipse but his plan failed. The Fire Lord heard about their plan and went into hiding like a big coward. Aang found out where he was hiding and went looking for him along with Sokka and Toph. Meanwhile everyone else was kicking butt. Especially Katara!!! She rocks!!! Anyway while Aang, Toph, and Sokka were running through that secret bunker thing they ran into Azula. She was trying to distract them so they wouldn't find Ozai. She said such mean stuff to poor Sokka about Suki. Which wasted even more time. Zuko aleady was ther with the Fire Lord and could have killed him but chose not to because it wasn't his destiny but Aang's. He chose to help Aang. .
  • Finally the invasion!

Hakoda, Sokka and Katara's dad shows up with the troops to invade the Firenation. As the gang preps they get to meet up with old friends and learn the invasion is only 8 minutes long. When they land on the Firenation shores it's heavily guarded and they have to fight past countless obstacles, and when Katara and Sokka's dad gets hurt it's up to Sokka to lead the mission. Meanwhile Zuko preps for the biggest decision of his life, and Aang gets to the Firenation capital city only to find it is abandoned and the royal palace is empty leaving Ozai no where in site.
  • Time to start the Invasion of the fire nation!

In the 10th episode of avatr the last airbender, the day of black sun has finally arrived. Aang and everyone get all ready for the invasion on the fire nation capital hoping to put an end to the war. they all up all the people from past avatar episodes. we see earthbenders from the rumble, the people from the northern water tribe, the people from the swamp episode, and the waterbenders from the south pole. that means sokka and katara's bad came. they go into the boats that sokka invented and were off.

The first part of the invasion was the beach. before they got there, they had to go through the gates of azula. they get past it with the boats that sokka made. it was a submarine so they went underwater. when they got to the beach, they went into caterpillar like things and moved for the main towers. the earthbenders moved the caterpillars. they fought there way hard. the swamp people used vines and stuff to attack.

When sokka and katara's dad gets hurt, sokka goes off and leads the invantion. they take the tower and are off to the capital know. while this is happening, aang goes to the fire lord, but aang sees there's no one in the capital. they knew about the invanion and they all left the city. toph brings them underground and they have to get the fire lord before it's too late.

Overall, this was a really exciting episode that is probably one of the best avatar episodes yet.
  • This is a very well written episode. You can see the creators thought this through well. Espacially the kiss.

This is a very well written episode. You can see the creators thought this through well. Espacially the kiss. The scenes where excellent and there were some funny bits in it which made it much better and not boring. In all Its a very good episode and i watched it about 100 times!!!! Although some people think it was bad.(well Most Zutarians because of the kataang kiss) But it is very good no matter what anyone says!! If you are a kataanger you will absolutly LOVE this episode! Zutarians hate the kiss part but we Kataangers Love it! In the second part when zuko confronts his dad is very emotional.
  • Day of Black Sun was so awesome. A great episode and very well thought out.

So this was the whole invasion plan. Aang had to beat the Fire Lord Ozai when there was a solar eclipse but his plan failed. The Fire Lord heard about their plan and went into hiding like a big coward. Aang found out where he was hiding and went looking for him along with Sokka and Toph. Meanwhile everyone else was kicking butt. Especially Katara!!! She rocks!!! Anyway while Aang, Toph, and Sokka were running through that secret bunker thing they ran into Azula. She was trying to distract them so they wouldn't find Ozai. She said such mean stuff to poor Sokka about Suki. Which wasted even more time. Zuko aleady was ther with the Fire Lord and could have killed him but chose not to because it wasn't his destiny but Aang's. He chose to help Aang, which was a real shocker to me. I thought Uncle Iroh was goning to help Aang. Whatever happened to him. So thats basically what happened. There was also a kiss between Aang and Katara...
  • The Gaang and the invasion force attempt to find and stop the firelord duirng the day of Black Sun, but complications arise when they find the entire palace city abandoned and Ozai nowhere to be found.

This was possibly one of the most important episodes of the entire series. From the beginning to the end, I was nearly on the edge of my seat waiting to see what was going to happen next. One of the best moments was the reveal of the joint Sokka-Mechanist invention, the waterbending-powered subs. The episode had been built up for a season and a half and finally it was about to come. However, the reveal that Ozai had fled was a major cliffhanger and we were left wondering "what now?" All in all, one of the better episodes of the season and possibly the entire series.
  • On the day of the invasion, Katara comments that Aang seems well rested and Aang says now he is ready to face the Fire Lord.

On the day of the invasion, Katara comments that Aang seems well rested and Aang says now he is ready to face the Fire Lord. When Toph asks Aang about the Avatar State, he says he cannot use it and explains that his seventh chakra was sealed when Azula struck him with lightning.

Southern Water Tribe boats emerge from a mist and, together with Toph, Aang creates some makeshift docks in the cove. Sokka asks about the people he requested and Hakoda says he brought them.

The invasion force consists of the Southern Water tribe warriors; Huu and his fellow Swampbenders; Pipsqueak and The Duke; The Mechanist and Teo; and some Earthbenders which include, Haru, Tyro, The Hippo, and The Boulder. Teo and the Mechanist give Aang a gift, a new glider that contains a snack compartment that stores nuts, and can double as a staff.

At the prison General Poon continues to berate and insult Iroh. Ming, a young female guard who is kind to Iroh, appears with his breakfast. After the other guard leaves, Iroh expresses his gratitude for Ming's kindness.

Sokka attempts to brief the force about the invasion, but because he is nervous, is unable to. Hakoda takes over for him and confidently rallies the small army. He explains the plan to storm the beach and reach the palace before the eclipse. That way, when the eclipse begins, they can take on the Firebenders that guard the palace, and Aang can confront the Fire Lord. Sokka, who is embarrassed of his behavior earlier, is reassured by Aang that he will have a chance to prove himself out on the battlefield.

The invasion force heads to the Great Gates of Azulon. Under the cover of mist, as they approach the gates, an alarm goes off and a large net rises from both sides of the gate, blocking the path. As the net catches fire, groups of Firebenders infiltrate the ships and are shocked to discover that they are empty. The invasion force uses crafts that are submerged and propelled by waterbending to move underwater to attack. Unfortunately, the subs have a limited air supply so they have to resurface before they run out of air.

Ming once again visits Iroh with his supper. Iroh reveals to Ming that her moments of kindness have made his imprisonment bearable. He also comments that she looks ill and insists that she should go home. When she insists that she is fine, Iroh simply explains that it would be better if she were not present that afternoon, at which Ming appears to understand.

After resurfacing, the gang gets together one final time to wish each other good luck before departing ways. Aang and Katara say goodbye in private. Katara reveals she is proud of how much Aang has grown since they first met. Aang, realizing how big this day is and that there's a chance that he may not survive, kisses Katara, then confidently snaps out his glider and flies away to face the Fire Lord, leaving Katara blushing. She hops on Appa and creates a water bubble around his head so that he can breathe while they are underwater.

Zuko is shown sitting in front of a painting of his mother, promising aloud that he will do what is right. After mentally apologizing to Mai and leaving her a note in her bedroom, he gets ready to leave.

After the subs evade capture at a gate armed with harpoon gun type weapons, they finally arrive at the beach near the capital. New caterpillar-like tanks powered by Earthbenders are released from the subs and face off against Fire Nation tanks, as ground fighting ensues, followed by other warriors, Benders and eight supply trucks. The Earthbender tanks are highly resilient and easily defeat the Fire Nation guards.

After noticing a threat from some towers shooting missiles, Katara, Sokka, and Hakoda attack them with Appa. While Katara and Sokka take out one tower, Hakoda destroys another one, and is injured in the process. Katara and Sokka take their father a short distance from the battle. Katara attempts to heal Hakoda, but he is still unable join the battle anytime soon. Sokka pledges to his father and sister that he will lead the battle in his father's place and flies off on Appa. He lands among the troops, which have been split up in mild disarray. He reorganizes them into wedge formation and orders them to charge up to the palace.

As the invasion breaches the wall of the capital city, things are looking well. However, when Aang enters the capital city, he finds it deserted; when he reaches the Fire Lord's throne room in the palace, Ozai is nowhere to be found. In anguish, Aang falls to his knees and yells "Fire Lord Ozai, where are you?!"
  • The Gaang has amassed an invasion force involving a small band of Earth and Water benders, most old characters from season 2, to invade the Fire Nation's mainland to enable Aang to defeat the Firelord during a solar eclipse.

This was a great episode, but it didn't end up being the pivotal point that the story had made it out to be. It looked to me like we built up to this episode over half of Season 2 only to get to a two-part failure on the Gaang's part. I did enjoy seeing Aang with some hair though, and I'm sad to see it go. At least the invasion animation was done very well. The fight onto the mainland was fun to watch, and seeing the Water Tribe's battle armor was a reward in itself. However, I do feel a little cheated by the Day of Black Sun episodes as a whole. Part II bested part I in my opinion, and I hope the finale will end up tying everything together in a non-cheesy fashion.
  • The epic that has formating since 'The Library' the invasion forces finally enter the Fire Nation.

There was not a lot wrong with this episode, if there was anything wrong at all. Firstly we meet up with some old fan favorites ('the Boulder now fights only for his country')and the action quickly unfolds. Zuko and Iroh's appearances are minimal, however, vital to the story and help lead up to the second part. The action sequence is second to none and we are all left wondering at the end what will happen next. But all this is somewhat left in the background as the ponder the kiss between two great characters. A perfect ten out of ten for this epic.
  • Go caterpillers!!!!!!!!!!!!

In this episode ,we see the fire nation as idiots who do not know how to defend their territory and have a very , very bad aim with huge bow-casters . Also , we see that the royal family and fire lord are very big cowards or that they are bad at picking vacation times .
    This episode is kinda wierd because the fire nation is sopposed to be the most powerful nation, with lots and lots of SMART soldiers and firebenders, so how did no more than 50 people successfully breach it ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Please answer ! ! !
  • This was an amazing episode! Each episode is better than the last. I can't wait for the next one to come out!!

This episode is action packed and has you sitting on the edge of your seat by the end. I find that every time one ends I can't wait for the next one! And the best part of this one is *sigh* the kiss! Finally!! I've been waiting so long for it and it finally happened! The character development in this show is beyond phenomenal. I've been watching the episodes online since I've only recently learned about this show. This is a wonderful episode!
  • Kataang remains one-sided! Viva Kataru (Katara/Haru)!

Watch very very closely. Check the screenshots if you doubt me.
    When Aang kisses Katara, she is stunned and frowns as he flies away. Her reaction was all "What the - awkward! I didn't see this coming and I'm really unsure what I should do to let him down gently, since I don't see him that way but I don't want to break his heart right before he throws himself into mortal danger!" She glances away looking uncertain and upset after the kiss.
    Okay, that's probably not what she was thinking, but the first 16 words were probably in there somewhere. The first three definitely were.
    In my private opinion, all previous attempts to foreshadow a relationship between these two have had Katara behaving in too motherly a way for their romance to be anything but Oedipal. The exception was in 'Cave of Two Lovers', and Aang blew that one so badly it almost wasn't funny. I take this opprotunity to remind you that we don't know whether they kissed back there or not.
    Aang may not be as much of a goof anymore, but Katara is already used to looking at him like a kid brother or something. Suddenly seeing him as a potential boyfriend instead doesn't seem her style. Three kisses on the cheek over the course of about half a year can still be totally platonic.
    Regarding Aunt Wu's prediction: just because some fortune teller said Katara would marry a powerful bender doesn't mean she's going to end up with the Avatar (whom she compared to a LEMUR earlier in that episode!) Judging by her stunned reaction to Sokka mentioning Aang being a powerful bender, it had never even occured to her before then to see Aang that way.
    Besides, did you see the happiness in her reaction to Haru? Did you see their interactions in 'Imprisoned'? The heck with the spoof 'School Time Shipping' - that pairing is made of love! (Besides, she told Aunt Wu she hopes the guy she's destined to be with is tall. Haru is, Aang isn't. So there. ;P )
    Katara + Haru = LOVE!!!!!
    On a completely unrelated note, I hated this episode's cliff=hanger ending.
  • Gets your eyes glued to the tv screen!

In this episode of Avatar the Last Airbender, Aang and the gang get ready to take on the fire nation for the first time. Hundreds of people that we met along the way come with them to help them fight the fire nation. We get to see Haru, the Boulder, and many other people.

First they have to get through the Gates of Azula. They go through it by using an invention that Sokka planned out. It let them go underwater. Then they reach the harder part of the adventure. They have to go to the Beach that leads up to the fire nation capital.

They get there with success and they start to fight the fire nation. The earthbenders are the protection and the fighters in the battle. The waterbenders are the ones protecting the boats they came in. They take out the defense tower, but Katara and Sokka's father gets hurt. Then Sokka has to take charge.

This episode of Avatar the Last Airbender gets your eyes glued to the screen and make you bit your finger nails. This episode gets an A+ from yotsuba123.
  • Beyond Incredible!!!!

These two episodes were just as great as any other two part avatar episodes, Seige of the North in particular. The episode brought back all my faves, like Haru, Bato (I know he's been back before but I just like mentioning him), Pipsqueak, the Duke, Teo, and the Doc. Plenty of action in both parts of the episode as well as plenty of "romance" between our favorite couple, Aang and Katara. Some more self discovery by our favorite troubled teen, Zuko, and some super fly super stealh moves by Uncle Iroh (No wonder he is called the Dragon of the West). I am seriously looking forward to when the series picks back up again so we can find out how this exciting trilogy ends.
  • This episode was great for an introductory episode.

I think this episode was very Nerve wracking, that's why I picked that as a classification. The only thing I did not like about this episode is that the Aang and Katara kissed, and the bad thing was it was on the lips! I could not believed when that happened. I was really upset because I am a dedicated Zutara (Zuko and Katara) fan and not a Kataang (Aang and Katara) fan. I thought that was just a daydream. The action was great. I think it was perfect. The kiss is what brought it down .4 points. Overall, I give it a 9.6.
  • his show is the best of the best anime show ever .... i mean for real the show got emotion, fear , courage and LOVE... the others anime is just fight all the time. and the action on this show is soo good , the marshal art is real.

Love it. the guy who came up with this is gunise... for real.
    i always get exceting when i watch and it get better every episode. and anng and katara rocks. the are finally together.
    and toph ans sokka kick ass too.soka is so funny. and the creteurs is awsome too. i loveeeeeeee the avatarthis show is the best of the best anime show ever .... i mean for real the show got emotion, fear , courage and LOVE... the others anime is just fight all the time. and the action on this show is soo good , the marshal art is differents than others anime.this show is the best of the best anime show ever .... i mean for real the show got emotion, fear , courage and LOVE... the others anime is just fight all the time. and the action on this show is soo good , the marshal art is differents than others anime.
  • Aang and friends go forth in their invasion of the Fire Nation.

Not only is this a superb episode in comparsion to the last "Nightmares and Daydreams" but in it's own right as well. The first parter in the "Day of Black Sun" hour long special, comes out as one of the best episodes of the season. Filled with action, suspense, love, and regret, this episode takes you in and won't let go, but you're not complaining. Almost every second of this episode is done with precision and beauty. The action sequences themselves are something to watch and you yourself, almost feel as if you are standing by the warriors. The episode, as any good two parter should be, ends with a high point about to come to full satsifaction only to miss, in Aang's case espically.
  • The day of black sun arrives and anng is ready to face the fire lord with only 10 minutes of the solar eclipse anng has to destroy the fire lord and with his friends and family they will work together to destroy the fire lord and make the war to an end.

this tv movie rocks! when i saw katara and anng do lip contact i asked my self if they show them doing it now why not show it when they did it in the cave of two lovers? you watch this and you will love it i also loved it when sokka went aboard appa to destroy those towers he was insane i hated it when the fire lord knew anng was coming i wanted to see the fire lord scream for forgiveness but thanks to the earth king hes save and sound i hope he gets destroyed soon so that he would make for airbenders some way.
  • This episode is part 1 of 2 in the great battle on a solar eclipse leaving the fire nation defenseless. The invasion force travels to th Fire Nation is little submarines. When they reach the beaches, they fight all they've got. This continues in part 2

I personally loved this episode, along with it's second part. It had lots of action, good character development, and it was really exciting. What really grabbed my attention the most was the great job the writers did with planning the fight. Everything fit together perfectly to keep me on the edge of my seat. Certain sacrifices were made to advance the plot. At the very end of the episode, a very sad thing happened. They gang must leave behind all their families and friends. This got me brainstorming what could happen next. Which is exactly what a good episode is supposed to do. And also at the end when Zuko followed them after deciding that he would join them, that also had me completely hanging. Sometimes I hate cliff hangers, but without them there would be no suspense. My final score: Awesome!!!
  • well worth the wait

This episode was basically what i was waiting for throughout season three- it incorpporated all the recognizable factors that make Avatar so special to all of us. For exaple the well written script, the drama, the awesome voice acting, and the development of each character- we finally see how much each characters grown frome beginning. This is the point in the series we were all waiting for, The day of black sun- and we experience a massive build up to the ultimate climax, and the ultimate clffhangar. I'm sure i speak for all the avatar fan world when i say 'thank god this aired as a tv movie!'
  • Amazing

A very nice well constructed episode courtesy of TV's best animated series as of now. I just really enjoyed how the whole season progressed in build up to these final moments that have turned out to be really great and astonishing, I just can't believe the amount of action in this episode and I can't wait much longer for the next. If this is what Avatar has in store for the half season finale, I just can't wait to see what they have for the finale itself, which will probably be a justified ending for the series or if fans are lucky, the season.
  • GREAT!!!

The Day Of Black Sun was great.. The episode started great, and ended kinda half done, but that is the way it was suppost to be right!! Anyway, we saw alot of great things starting with Sokka, everything is funny of course, when he was "Explaining the Invasion Plan", we see Aang and Katara kiss for the second time, but does'nt count as a second time sience the first was a hallucination in the last episode, we see new inovative technology the Earth Kingdom has scruffed up for the invasion, and we see Zuko finally making the right choise in life..
  • This episode has lots of action in it, with the invasion to the Fire Palace! All the characters are tested to find their strongest strengths & also the fact if they have the guts to do what is right and what it means to sacrifice to end the war...

This episode also shows faces that we rarely seen on the characters. This episode would make you sit on the edge of your seat! With all the characters tested on their strengths, the fear of failing is strong within everyone hearts. Do u think they would fail? :P Or do you think in the end of the invasion they would have to fight another day? The greatest of the greatest episode that I ever watched. It makes to wonder, how is this going to end? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  • The real war had started

This is pritty good i have to say but this is the the begining of the invation .i have to say that for be a show of nick it was very stronge .Whatever this is the monent that all nation attack the fn and the are doing will they tecnicay destroy half of the capital city but the thing is that nobody was there everybody in the fn all ready knew all the plan of the ivation that is bad. bu t the where is the fire lord .i don't know but .this is going to get difficult to resist the attack of the fn
< 1 2