Avatar: The Last Airbender

Aired Friday 6:30 PM Nov 02, 2007 on Nickelodeon

• HehEh

Extra
  • Just hear me out

Okay so you can go ahead and give me a thumbs down for this review on sight if you want to or you can just listen to my reasoning, because I love this show and have no desire to bash it, only critic it.

I just don't think this episode works as a whole. To be honest it's my least favorite of the series and the reason for that is because of the portrayal of Katara. they labeled her as the mommy of the group and Avatar is a great series for it's complex characters whose personalities can't be summed up in a word or two, also why are they having this kind of episode in the final season. We've gotten to know Katara for over two seasons, the writers don't need to label her now. They don't need to say these things out loud at this point.

Also I just don't think that labeling her as the group's mother figure is a good fit. People forget that when her mother died, yes she had to step up a little, but for the most part it was her grandmother who took over as the mother figure of her family.

I suppose she has a lot of nurturing traits, but the truth is some of our favorite and note worthy moments of her's is when she acts her own age. When she challenges the water bending master because she felt insulted even though she knew she couldn't win, stealing from pirates, fighting with gran, gran in the first episode for telling her she couldn't go with Ang, her short lived crush on jet, her short lived obsession with getting her fortune told, I can go on with these great moments where she just had fun acting like a teenager and to be honest those events kind of contradict the kind of person she is portrayed as in this particular episode.

Over all I'm just trying to say her character development in this episode just felt forced.
  • Filler Episode

This episode was another waste. The beginning of the episode was surprised me but it was supposed to entice the viewer because overall the plot was weak. The Suddenly tensions between Toph and Katara rise again. But this time its for Toph risky gambling. The teasing between Toph & Katara shows me they are really dumbing this show down and they are attempting to make it more humorous. This contrasts with many great episodes which are more serious. Combustion Man also returns, which I believe is a stupid villain with a ridiculous name. But this episode was not all bad. When Sokka talks to Toph, about how he sees Katara as a mother figure, really touched me. But despite that the show is exploiting and parodying her motherly nature. She seems more like a nag. Katara's analysis of Toph that Toph was acting because she missed her parents had no correlation. Toph has always acted like that. Also why haven't they found wanted posters of Toph before, and why were they in the fire nation. Sokka seems like more of an idiot than usual ex. "Hawky" and "Sparky-Sparky Boom Man".
  • The Runaway

The Runaway was a superb and character driven episode of Avatar The Last Airbender. I really enjoyed watching this episode because Toph had a lot of character development as did Katara. Both began to butt heads as Toph continued to get the Sokka and Aang to perform scams to obtain easy money. After learning Toph's true feelings Katara decides to pull of a scam with her. I thought the scene where Toph was talking with Sokka as Katara secretly listened was very touching. Seeing Sparky Sparky Boom Man was fun and the trap was clever. The end of this episode was good. Overall this is a small step, however it moves things forward!!!!!!!
  • The things in this episode were awesome. I am talking about get tons of cash. Katara is mad at Toph for keep pulling scans off then she hears what she has to say about Katara acting motherly. Katara is upset and she shows Toph she isn't as motherly.

I really like this episode because it is cool how they make all the cash that they make. It is funny at one part how Sokka and Aang are watching Toph and Katara fight then, Toph says, What are you going to do send me to my room Mom". Katara says,"I wish I could" then, Toph says, "Your not my mom and your not their mom." Katara says this to Sokka, "Do I act motherly". He replies, "I am staying out of this" then, she says to Aang, "Do act motherly". He starts to rub his eye and mumble something. She says, "Stop rubbing your eye and speak clearly when you talk. He replies, "Yes, Mam". I thought that part was funny. Take my advice and watch the film. So on a scale one to ten. I give this episode a one hundred.
  • As always, another great Avatar episode.

As always the character development in Avatar is really great and touched upon some sensitive yet heartful subjects. This time it concentrated on the issues of being cautious and going wild, and later it transcended into being a trouble child to being a controlling mother. In the beginning it was pretty neat to see how Toff, Aang, and Sokka were able to scam scammers at their own game. The second half was all character development; an argument between Toff and Katara ignited their deep inner emotions and it really shows how despite Katara being the mother of the group, she is still a kid herself. It ended with a bang as well with the mysterious pursuer with the mysterious laser beam powers having a showdown with the group.
  • This epsiode is a must see character development episode! Katara acts like a mother to Toph.

Although this episode, The Runaway, is a character development installment, it is such a great addition to the series! Usually, character development epsiodes are fillers and don't mean anything, but The Runaway is excellent, like most Avatar episodes. Katara's motherly instinct definately was influenced by the fact that Sokka and Katara don't have a mother anymore, so Katara took over. Also, Katara has had to do many of the chores around the Southern Water Tribe. So basically in this episode, Katara gets closer to Toph. Just like how Toph shows effection by punching you in the arm, Katara acts motherly and tries to protect someone. And in this epsiode, that's exactly what Katara does to Toph. Katara wants to help Toph grow up, and Katara started to understand Toph more, like why she breaks rules and why she doesn't care about much. With much comedy included to go along with the drama, The Runaway is one of my personal favorites.
  • Toph's second episode

7.7
    Avatar the last airbender,
    The Runaway,
    In this episode we katara and toph fighting once again. And see aang trying to learn how to bend like toph blind in a way. In town sokka aang and toph decide to scam games and get money. Using toph's skill they get loaded with wealth. Making katara concerend. Sokka decideds to buy a messanger hawk. After hearing toph talk about her. Katara plans to make one last plan. After toph is wanted katara gets her tured in. Then katara gets the money and toph can just break out of the jail. But the plan backfires. The jail is made of wood. And the combustion man is waiting for katara. Thinking things are taking to long aang and sokka plan to go into town. Just of how it was planned by the combustion man. Katara breakes toph and her out. And the kids gets away from the antagonist. Over all the episode was ok. We learned some great things about each character. And to bad sokka didnt keep his pet bird.
  • combustion man attacks again

for the next review im just gonna put periods. i was gonna do it for this one but i already wrote words so yeah im gonna finish it off with periods starting now lol they didnt let me do this so that means i cant do all periods for the next review. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  • People dont see the greatness in this episode.

• what made me really excited

When Katara expresses her disapproval to Toph's new way to make quick cash, the group finds her too motherly, and tension grows between Katara and Toph. When Katara finally decides to participate in this scam to disprove Toph's accusations, the gang is left vulnerable and are forced to face dire consequences. another katara-toph episode fight thing. however, this time it was more intense than last time and it was more extreme. katara really did act like a mom. toph scams a town and then they put up a poster offering a reward for her capture and then katara getzs mad and then she wants to make a scam
  • An episode that got the series a live again..

In the seventh episode of avatar the last airbender, aang and the gang don't have much money left. so they are in the streets and they see a game where you have to guess what bottle the rock is under. so toph finds out that it's not under any of them and she try the game. by using the earthbending, she puts the rock under one of them and they win a ton of money. katara says that's cheating.

When Katara tells Toph to stop doing that, she doesn't and Toph continues, but then wanted posters of her come up. She is now known as the Runaway. Then Katara finds a way to have some fun with it and then they go out to the games. someone finds them and they are put in jail. katara uses her brains and uses her sweat for bending. they get out. then sparky comes and start blowing things up. they get away through.

Overall, this was a really great and exciting episode where we see more of the real life side of avatar.
  • katara and toph fued

Aang and the gang visit a Firenation town where toph uses her earthbending abilities to cheat at gambling to get the group more money. Katara thinks the games could be dangerous but the group ignores her. Later when Sokka goes into town to buy a messenger hawk he finds a wanted poster of Toph, but Toph bribes Sokka not to tell. But later on Katara finds it and Toph accuses her of being to bossy and motherly. To prove she can have fun Katara wants to pull of the ultimate one last scam but all goes wrong when there assasin shows up.
  • Another great episode

This episode thought A lot of things, I think this episode is hilarious and more character development on toph and katara. First off, I miss the katara and toph fights, I love how aang masters the neutral jin and Sokka and Hawky. The Art is truly beautiful in this episodes it makes avatar different from other shows, it's realistic. and it shows not to cheat. Toph missing her parents was sad and yeah I dislike Tokka but there's development with sokka here. Finally naming the combustion man and knowing his weakness. in the end they sen a letter to toph's parents. I love this episode!
  • the new nickmane for the blind bandit '' the runaway''

.it was time to show us an epi for toph .ok i know that scams are bad but she was doing scams to people that scams too. in my country i like to say ''thief that steal to an other thief has 100 years of pardon'' obviusly the good girl of katara was not agree. this epi show us the realionshep with toph and katara. well we dicover the weak point of toph... her paretns. everytime that she tries to hate them she dicover that she loves them more and more. and she cares of them. The same thing happen to me XD .in some way toph fells guilty for runaway and make her parent suffer.

other thing is that this is the second time that an epi has a nickname of toph. but i like more the blind bandit. this epi is character development. is time to develop toph.In a other thing that this show to us the weak point of ''sparky sparky bomm man'' his third eye. he made explotion ha ha ha. well i hope that hawky help toph in her relationshep with her parents.
  • Wanted - The Runaway. Authorites are offering a reward of 1000 gold coins for the arrest of this 12 year old girl. She disguises herself as a blind person, and although she is small, she is extremely dangerous. Any information will be promptly rewarded.

• Toph's character is fleshed out and her insecurities are revealed.

Toph has had a pretty cushioning lifestyle, and in this episode it peaks her 'wild side.' She is like a home-schooled girl, who gets a taste of college and the freedom literally drives her over the deep end. She doesn't want the kindness of a mother, or the rules of a father. Within the G'aang roles are already set up, to benefit themselves.
    But Toph, with her independent nature finds no use in this cooperative role which she was strangled with before she met Aang.
    Katara tries to force her maternal instincts on Toph, much like she did to Aang. But Aang, like his element is passive, and adjustable. Though Toph, given her attitude is stubborn, and unwilling to change when she doesn't feel like she has to.
  • Taking a break from training, Toph, Sokka and Aang go into town to have some fun. Toph employs the scheme to scam street scammers with earthbending to net free money to spend on whatever they want, while clashing with Katara over the wild behavior.

I loved this episode. It really helped to flesh out Toph's wild side, and added some much needed humor-focused storyline. I couldn't wait to see what happened next in this episode, as it just got better and better. This also is the episode that contains the new 'best' picture of Sokka to date (hence my icon). But the thing I love this episode for the most is finally allowing Toph's character to voice what so many of us were thinking about Katara. Way too motherly and bossy. I found it inappropriate during "The Chase" how she was ordering Toph around like she knew what she was supposed to act like, and was glad Toph was able to payback some words.
    The mudfight at the beginning of the episode wasn't too bad either, and brought an interesting thing to my attention. Much like the sludge from a previous episode "The Drill", the mud is a 'bendable' for both Earthbenders and Waterbenders. I will look out for more "Multi-element-bendables" when re-watching episodes from now on.
    The part that did throw me off was the part about Toph getting thrown in a wooden cell instead of a metal one. As some posts have suggested, there is no on-screen evidence that Combustion Man had any knowledge of her ability to bend metal, nor any reason as to why the prison had wooden cells at all. I think it was a poorly implemented set-up into the next Episode "The Puppetmaster" for Katara to learn more waterbending techniques.
    All in all it was a great episode. I couldn't stop laughing more almost all of it.
  • Another great chapter, keep em comin..

At the begining of the episode we see Toph running to the statue in Fire Fountain City. She is then captured by a net, and screams at Katara, saying that she betrayed her. Katara replies that Toph brought this upon herself, and that she had no choice. The scene goes to three days before the event. Katara and Toph are training Aang. When Toph accidentally hits Katara with the rock, the two start battling each other instead of Aang. Aang, still blindfolded, tries to figure what is going on while from a distance Sokka screams "SNEAK ATTACK!" and makes a failed attempt to attack Aang. The fight between Toph and Katara continues with them wrestling in mud; Aang interrupts them and they stop. While Katara goes off to clean up, Toph suggests to the boys that they should go and have some fun. Aang, Sokka and Toph go into town with only one silver piece left. However, Toph suggests they get more from a gambling game below them. She knows through her Earthbending that The Dealer flipped little rocks under bowls into his sleeves to cheat others. She uses her bending to cheat back, earning them forty silver pieces. When they arrive back at camp, Katara advises them not to do it anymore. However, even when Aang makes an Avatar promise not to do so, they don't listen. Later on, Toph cheats at a dice-like game and a test-your-strength game, winning even more money. She also pretends to get run over by a noble's carriage so that Sokka, dressed as a Fire Nation soldier, can scam the noble by accepting money for silence. Katara continues to think these con jobs are dangerous and immoral. Toph retorts, calling Katara a "motherly" figure and complaining bitterly that Katara is not her, Sokka or Aang's mother. Toph goes on to say how much she hates her own parents. After going to make purchases in town (and buying a Messenger Hawk, dubbed Hawky) Sokka finds a wanted poster for 'The Runaway' (a.k.a. Toph). After Sokka reads it aloud, Toph is delighted at the nickname and how much money is being offered for her return. Toph convinces Sokka to keep the wanted poster a secret by giving him funds for Appa's armor and expensive atlases. While going through Toph's possessions, Katara discovers the wanted poster and has an argument with Toph, in which Toph angrily replied that Katara is not her mother and should not tell her what to do. Sokka tries to write an apology message sent by Hawky to Katara but she easily finds out because Toph can't write. He later talks to Toph to try to mend the rift between her and Katara. As they discuss how Katara's motherly instincts can also be supportive and nurturing, Katara (who is bathing in the water beneath the cliff side where they sit to chat) listens to them. Sokka reveals how Katara took on the role of their mother after her death, so much so that, to Sokka, she eventually became the face of their mother. Toph admitted that Katara cared for her more than her real mother ever did. A touched Katara suggests that she and Toph work together to collect the bounty that Toph has accumulated as the 'ultimate heist'. The group is very surprised, but Katara is insistent that she can show her fun side. After Katara fakes handing Toph in to the authorities, the entire scenario turns out to be a trap set by Combustion Man. Katara and Toph are placed in a prison made of wood-a material that neither of them can bend. As Aang and Sokka battle Combustion Man, Toph and Katara try and think of a way to escape the cage. Katara suggests that Toph use her meteor bracelet to make a saw, until Toph says she left it at camp. Katara then jumps up and starts to run in place. When Toph asks what she is doing, Katara replies, "I'm making my own water!" She then Waterbends her own sweat to escape the prison (Toph says, "You're a genius! A sweaty, stinky, genius!"). Katara and Toph race to help Aang, arriving in the nick of time. Toph, accidentally manages to hit Combustion Man on his forehead tattoo with a stone, knocking him back. He gets up and attempts to launch another explosion in the group's direction, only to find his chi blocked. The air around him explodes and the group escapes. While running away, Sokka renames their opponent Combustion Man. At the end, Toph realizes she does not hate her parents after all. With Katara acting as a scribe, she writes down a heart-felt message for her parents that gets delivered using Hawky. The episode ends with Sokka returning and asking where Hawky is, not knowing that the girls used him.
  • Nine.

I gave it a nine out of ten because, well, this was just another filler episode kinda. I mean, it was great this episode introduced waterbending your sweat, which could become useful later in the season. I though they should have used hat ability in The Day of Blac Sun, though. That would have been good.

It was funny, and I always like Katara Toph conflicts. They're so...funny. Thats why I like them. Plus, it's kinda hidden, but it has a little Tokka in it. Maybe it's just me, though, but I hope it's true.

It's cleverly written, too.

9 out of 10.
  • Toph discovers a new way for the Gaang to make money, much to the disproval of Katara. A new friend temporarily joins the group, and a familiar enemy returns.

It continues to astonish me how very much I enjoyed this episode. I might go as far as to say it is one of my top 5 favorite Avatar episodes to date. And yes, I have my reasons.

Firstly, not since "The Blind Bandit" have we seen a clearly Toph-centric episode, which is remedied by "The Runaway." Since Toph is my favorite character, naturally this would make me a fan of this installment. We see signifiant development of her character here, through exposition of her relationship with her parents and how she is coping with being indefinitely away from them at only 12 years old. As a video editor, this episode greatly pleased me. As you may or may not have noticed, up until Day of Black Sun, season 3 had not been putting out the great action clips or bending battles that help make this show so intriguing. This episode includes one of the only instances in which Aang's "training" is shown, which obviously produced some very cool bending clips that I'll never tire of. This, combined with a newfound Waterbending ability and a second encounter with Combustion Man make "The Runaway" an exciting and visually thrilling episode. Lastly, who can ignore the pure hilariousness of this episode? All of the "scams" were pure genius, a particular favorite of mine being the hit and run incident in which the millisecond that Sokka winks kept me laughing for minutes. Honorable mention goes to Toph's need to repeatingly inform the others of her blindness, the "sneak attack", and of course, Hawky. I hope this review has convinced you to check out Avatar's "The Runaway", simply because it's amazing in every possible aspect.
  • As usual, another great episode.

Katara and Toph arguing again? Well, this isn't the first time they are arguing. They argued in The Chase. The Combustion Man is just a distraction to the show. It's cool how he uses the Thought Chukra to blow up those things. But the weird thing is, that he got owned by a boomerang! I can't believe that. I really can't believe Katara was gonna do something for money. There was a wanted poster for Toph. If Katara turning her in, then she would get a reward, then break Toph out. That's actually a great plan. Overall, it's a 9.2. episode.
  • Katara finally steps out of her box

This episode is a real good episode but some things could of definately been worked on. There were a couple of loose ends that i personally did not understand such as how a whole town so easily cleared out without the gang's knowledge and the destruction in the battle i believe would have raised at least a little alarm... but other than that the episode was great... there was character development for sokka, katara, and toph. we see sokka's sensitive side and how deep his respect runs for katara. Katara learns how to step out of the box by not being so controlling and taking a chance and having fun. We learn the effect katara has on toph and we see that she does feel emotions she is not the rock she lets on. In the end the gaang is left closer than ever before.
  • This episode was really cool to watch, because it was pivital for us to see that katara has a bad side too.

katara can be a bad girl too, to be equal with toph. It was really cool to see katara bend her own sweat to break out of the jail. I really wonder what is going to happen to, as Sokka would say, "Sparky sparky Boom man." I would really like to see that katara and Toph get to be really close, this would really help them unleash a lot of amazing bending combos, they would be unstoppable in the fight to tke down Azula and the fire Lord. Katara took a big risk doing what they did, and look what happened to them!
  • The gaang has to solve their internal conflicts, while they have to handle Combustion Man.

This episode in my opinion was really good...

First of all we get to see Aang's improvement, how he is now able to use earthbending to see just like toph.

But while they proved to improve their abilities, they have also shown that even though the huge responsability they have, they still are young, and have thngs to solve before they can save the world. While Katara acts sometimes very motherly towards the gaang, they sometimes cross the line between fun and their pranks, and that habit gets them into confusion while they're in a FN city, and fall into a trap made by CM, which forces the gaang to get their things right in order to be able to go one, and escape.
  • Toph is kidnapped by The Combustion Man, a fire bender whose out to capture Aang.

This was a really revealing episode. Toph decides to scam other people by cheating at games using her earthbending, and by that she gains alot of money. Katara doesn't like this at all, and then Katara and Toph argue over it. then after a while, Toph apologizes to katara, but Katara wants to pull a scam as well. However, her plan backfires when The Combustion Man captures both Toph and Katara. aang and Sokka come to the rescue, and manage to escape from Combustion Man, or as Sokka says, Sparky Sparky Boom Man. Toph then sends a letter to her parents telling them that she is sorry for running away from home.
  • This episode didnt do anything for me personally.

In this episode, the group is running short on money. Toph decides to start earning some money by scamming other people. Katara believes this is wrong and stands up for what she believes in and trys to tell Toph to stop the scamming. This initiates a long term fight between the two. Katara is told that she seems to "kill the fun" alot and decides to try and have fun for once. Katara and Toph attempt to pull a scam but are captured when they are recognized. Both are placed in a wooden cell where both Katara and Toph cannot bend. Katara uses her own sweat in order to break out of the cell and save the day.
  • An interesting episode to enjoy for fans of Katara and Toph. Toph gets the idea of scamming people out for money despite Katara's objection in not doing it.

Well, it was a pretty darn good episode. We actually get to see Toph a chance to shine. It is good to see because she is clearly one of the most underrated characters next to Sokka. The arguments that Toph and Katara had along with the mud fight were funny to witness during the episode. With Sokka and Aang in town, Toph gets the idea of performing scams to make extra money for the group. Eventually Toph goes too far in making profits and Katara gets upset about it. She then reveals a wanted poster of a badly drawn Toph face described as "The Runaway".

After the fight over the wanted poster, Sokka engage in conversation with Toph that Katara is trying to be motherly because losing her mom somehow brought an effect to her in bringing strength to her family. It was kind of awkward that Sokka mentions that he couldn't remember his mother too well when she was lost to the fire nation. Katara manages to hear what their conversation was about while bathing under the cliff. After the conversation, Katara told Toph that they should put a scam together. Becoming loose for once seems like a first for someone like Katara. The creators also did a pretty good job putting up the first scene as a shocker to us. It was like, "OMG, what are you doing Katara?" Now that I found about Toph and Katara pulling a scam, it made a lot of sense now. Unfortunely, things didn't go as plan because the Combustion Man and the town were onto them with this scam. Toph and Katara eventually were locked up in a wooden jail with no chance of Toph metalbending them out. However, Katara puts up a brilliant plan of waterbending her sweat to get them out of the cage. Aang and Sokka head to town to find out what happen to the others but they eventually encounter the Combustion Man and a fight ensues for their survival. (Can't get over the fact that Sokka and Aang called the assassin "Sparky Sparky Boom Man". Somehow I like that nickname better.)

After escaping the jail, Katara manage to icebend the assassin's head just before he struck Aang with his beam and Toph earthbends a rock to the guy's third eye causing him to blast the beam out right in front of him. After their escape, Toph asks for Katara's help in sending a message to her parents by messenger hawk (Sokka's pet Hawky). Poor Sokka, he won't see Hawky for quite a while if ever. I also thought Hawky was great and funny in this episode.
  • Toph uses her earth-bending skills to con people into giving her their money.

For me, this episode started out a little weird. When I first saw how Toph was conning everyone out of their money I said to myself: "Why on earth are they showing an episode like this to little kids? It's teaching them bad habits!" But then I saw the lesson they added halfway through and I changed my mind (somewhat). I like how the writers brought up Katara and Toph's differences again. Their fights are always so funny. I especially like the confessions that were said at the end, where Toph admitted to liking Katara's motherly ways and that she does miss her parents and feels bad about leaving them because she might have hurt them. I liked how Toph and Katara wrote a letter to Toph's parents and used Hawky without Sokka's consent. My two favorite scenes were when Sokka attempted a "sneak attack" on Aang and when Sokka and Aang used Hawky to send a letter to Katara. The letter was supposed to be from Toph telling Katara she was sorry, but Sokka and Aang forgot Toph was blind and wasn't able to write the note. It was a really funny episode XD The trap set by "Combustion Man" was cool too. Pretty awesome fighting scenes.
  • watch the whole thing and other episodes on avatarchapters.com for free and with no commercials or missing parts.

This episode deals with Katara's and Toph's relationship which has never been very good as seen in The Chase. This was probably my favorite season three episode befor episodes 10 and on came out because of the suspense that the opening scene creates. This really sets the stage for the whole episode. This episode was very funny mostly on Sokka's part of cours with a little help from Aang. The Scamming portion was enjoyable and funny and helps explain many things in the later episode he Sokka also buys a bird which joins their group. This episode had an intense culminating fight scene between combustion man ad every one elso two thumbs way up
< 1 2