Avatar: The Last Airbender

The Runaway

Aired Friday 6:30 PM Nov 02, 2007 on Nickelodeon

• Taking a break from training, Toph, Sokka and Aang go into town to have some fun. Toph employs the scheme to scam street scammers with earthbending to net free money to spend on whatever they want, while clashing with Katara over the wild behavior.

I loved this episode. It really helped to flesh out Toph's wild side, and added some much needed humor-focused storyline. I couldn't wait to see what happened next in this episode, as it just got better and better. This also is the episode that contains the new 'best' picture of Sokka to date (hence my icon). But the thing I love this episode for the most is finally allowing Toph's character to voice what so many of us were thinking about Katara. Way too motherly and bossy. I found it inappropriate during "The Chase" how she was ordering Toph around like she knew what she was supposed to act like, and was glad Toph was able to payback some words.
    The mudfight at the beginning of the episode wasn't too bad either, and brought an interesting thing to my attention. Much like the sludge from a previous episode "The Drill", the mud is a 'bendable' for both Earthbenders and Waterbenders. I will look out for more "Multi-element-bendables" when re-watching episodes from now on.
    The part that did throw me off was the part about Toph getting thrown in a wooden cell instead of a metal one. As some posts have suggested, there is no on-screen evidence that Combustion Man had any knowledge of her ability to bend metal, nor any reason as to why the prison had wooden cells at all. I think it was a poorly implemented set-up into the next Episode "The Puppetmaster" for Katara to learn more waterbending techniques.
    All in all it was a great episode. I couldn't stop laughing more almost all of it.