Avatar: The Last Airbender

The Southern Air Temple

Aired Friday 6:30 PM Feb 25, 2005 on Nickelodeon

• Katara and Sokka go to Aangs home, The Southern Air Temple. They try to hide the truth that Aang is the last airbender, but when he finds out, a catastrophe occurs. Admiral Zhao and Prince Zuko duel in an Agni-Kai

Alot of people enjoy this episode but i cant seem to find out why. To me it was just mostly boring, but i also feel its something that was unavoidable at the same time. I like the fact that the series right away introduced us to the world and even what the airbending civilization was like. BUt it was just boring watching Aang go around his home showing things. I feel they could have made it more exciting. The only exciting part was seeing Aang go into the Avatar State and Katara having to calm him down. You can already see their connection. Another thing I liked about this episode was how much we learned about the Avatars. Aang says he just knows Avatar Roku without even meeting him and he knows he is supposed to help him on his journey. Pretty cool stuff. And I like the introduction of Momo and how Sokka is obsesbed with food. I really with they kept the whole food thing going throughout the series but no harm done.

I felt the more exciting part of this episode was the B-plot. A very clever andwell written script for that part. The Agni-Kai was very enjoyable, but it wasnt the fighting that made it, i really like how Uncle Iroh just shot down Zhao and basically called him dishonorable after he tried to burn Zuko after the fight was over.

Overall this is just an okay epiosode. The B-plot was defintely more interesting though which shouldnt happen in a series first few episodes.