A The Legend of Korra Community
Nickelodeon (ended 2014)
Has anyone else read these? They're the bridge between Airbender and Korra, and they are awesome. Love to start a discussion here with the fans who've read them.
Comments (10)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I really like the Search a lot, but the Promise I felt was a little rushed as well as silly. They're kids trying to make world peace in the most forceful way possible. I find it a little difficult to temporarily suspend my disbelief. I also would have appreciated the characters becoming a little older in the comic books, especially since the series of the Last Airbender took place over a year's time period. I dunno, maybe it's because I'm getting too old to be caring about a show on Nickelodeon! :)
Flag
loved the comics, still waiting for The Rift.
Flag
I have and I loved them too! But to it seems the more and more comics there are, the less I actually care about them.
Flag
Is that because you are getting tired of the stories? One complaint I've heard are that stories are rushed.
Flag
Its not that. The comic books are taking out all the mystery that is Republic City. Part of the fun for Legend of Korra for me is thinking about Republic city came to be. And how did it grow so much within that little of a time. That and I hate paying $10 for a book that isn't even 100 pages long.
Flag
There is this thing called a library ;)
Flag
I've only read the first 2 chapters of the promise, but read summaries of what's going on. From those 2 chapters I felt the plot hinged too much on Zuko having no common sense. I know he is impulsive and liked the pressures of being Fire Lord getting to him, but feel he should have at least known to tell Aang why he pulled his support for Harmony project. I loved Roku and Aang's conflict over fulfilling his promise of killing Zuko if he steps out of line. It makes sense for Roku to stress Aang how he can't let his friendship with Zuko interfere with his duties as Avatar like Roku did with Sozin. In a way it shows Aang's method is not flawless, which we learn in Korra series.

I'll try to read the Search when its done.
Flag
I agree, it definitely has a case of "if we'd just talked about this like adults it wouldn't of got so out of hand" but that's the thing they're kids trying to ensure world peace, they're gonna make mistakes. Also its possible that b/c it played out this way Aang came around to a way of thinking that he wouldn't of had the situation been more calm. And part of the point with Zuko was that much like in the series he's trying to reconcile both the tradition of the fire nation he inherits and his own sense of right and wrong (its not like he was 100% grown up and ready to rule, nor should it be). Paralleling Zuko's issues Aang who's very much also driven by tradition (in his case of the Air Nomads and separation of the elemental bending into 4 nations) and he has to learn to still respect and learn from said traditions but also adapt them to the challenges of the time. Good stuff :)
Flag
Staff
I have! I've enjoyed them, particularly in how they've managed to capture the tone and rhythms of each character enough that you don't miss (too much) the voices, but enough that you can still hear it in your head as you read.

I would've liked a bit more of The Promise, which I think felt overly rushed near the end, but I'm grooving on The Search so far.
Flag
I agree! I definitely hear their voices when I read them. Especially Sokka. Bolin is great, but there's no comedic genius in the Avatar world like good ol' Meat & Sarcasm Guy.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members