A The Legend of Korra Community
Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

I'm going to say it. I was really disappointed with Book 2 of Korra. To be fair, my expectations were incredibly high as I thought "Spirits" would be like Book 2 of the original series and really shine. "Earth" was a masterful season of television that had its characters grow in important and interesting ways leading to a thrilling conclusion (one that was surprisingly dark for a kid's show). I had quite a few issues with Book 1 of Korra, but I had hoped that any wrinkles would be ironed out by the time Book 2 came along, and it some instances, it was really good television.
Tenzin's character arc in Book 2 was well done, introducing us to the first Avatar was nifty, and the animation was absolutely stunning at parts (the only show that came close to matching it was the gone-to-soon Young Justice), but it still suffered in a lot of ways. Most of the characters didn't feel as authentic as they did in the original series. Bolin seemed to start off as a knockoff Sokka, but still hasn't done anything to prove himself as more than just a comic-relief character, I still have no idea why Asami would be hanging out with these guys, and the seemingly best episodes were the ones without Korra, which is a problem with her name being in the title. Also, where original writers Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko wrote every episode of Book 1, there was a whole gaggle of different writers for Book 2 and even a different studio handled animation for half the season, resulting in a very significant drop in quality for some episodes.
For this season, the original studio is back and I want to say the two original writers are also writing most of the episodes, so here's hoping that it can build off of what season one was trying to accomplish and push this show into greatness.
Comments (22)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I really gave up on this show until someone on another site I go to, posted this trailer.

Was that Azula I saw? And who was in the prison and was that Zuko?
I'm hoping this season makes me never want to leave the series again.
Flag
It is funny how people bi*ched about book one and now say book one was so much better.
There were good things and bad things about the two books of Korra. Imo there were more good things in the second book. Mostly the originstory and the battles. But even those good things don't compare to Legend of Aang's good things.
Which are the characters. Mostly the antagonists. So Zuko and Azula!
We knew where they come from, who they are, why they made the decisions that they did and how they played out. Then, we got to see how Aang and the gang deal w/ those decisions and where all that leads to. It was an incredible treat to be allowed to see all that.
For Korra... well I like Korra(or rather I could see myself liking her) but she doesn't have anything to do really. There is no "personable darkness" to go up against. Which is what avatar is. It holds the balance, as much between the elements as between good and bad. And honestly, I am not sure whether the writers fully understand this, or maybe forgot about it.
Aang was the light that held the balance against the evil in yourself(zuko) and "pointless evil/general evil"(Azula)
Anyways there is noone interesting on this show who could even give us a slightly interesting dilemma of that sort. LoK tried instead to give us a bigger world but we don't want that, not without the conflicted characters.
I migth just as well watch any zombie or fightnazi action movie. Because that is what LoK felt like so far. Just a shallow.... but kind of pretty actionmovie.
They tried depth w/ the relationship of the tournament-trio and the equalists but meh...

I will watch the third season and as the last two years, I will expect to see LoA reborn. The trailer builds on that hope imo, there seems to be a waterbending villain, which is a great element for a villain and she might be inspired by azula, so that is great! Very little Bulon in the trailer, but streetfights, Dragons and more airbender. All looks good, please somehow, be as good as LoA!
More+
Flag
Stop trying to compare it to the original series. That's the biggest problems people have with the show is that they can't separate them. Not to mention each season has significanntly less time to move things along then the original series did. Comparing them is not fair.
Flag
book 2 was awful. 1 was great.

the trailer for this new one doesn't look to interesting either.

i think its time to put korra down....
Flag
Not interested in this series anymore. I followed Book 1 and thought it was great, still not hitting close to any of the orginals seasons, but still fun. And i caught season 2 online because i didnt have time to watch it weekly.... What a disappointment. The storyline was passable, but Korra is just so unlikeable its amazing. As is Mako. I just dont understand how all 3 of the main characters can be so obnoxious. Korra complains about everything, the whole "boyfriend Mako" was stupid... I even think the quality of voice acting was pretty mediocre. The original series was my all time fav cartoon series, and i still catch reruns when their on. I'm a very open person and I get that they are trying to expand the universe here, but at least take care of the characters. They all just have so many problems, and nobody is ever happy besides for useless Bolin. At least S1 was focused. Everyone was just running around like headless chickens in S2. Very, very poor to the point I didnt even bother finishing the final episodes. The original will be the only thing in my memory.
Flag
Your concerns are invalid.
i saw Zuko in the trailer.
Also, there was a Dragon.
Flag
I've seen the trailer and personally I'm not impressed. I've seen fanmade trailers better then this. So "been there done that", but better than the actual show itself
Flag
It's not like The Last Airbender, they are trying to grow the universe with the audience and they aren't doing a bad job. The Avatar Universe is very organic and they creators have tired to figure out what works best...

And I, for one, thought The Legend of Korra has been doing a decent job all the way through. Even the weird redic ending of BOOK ONE wasn't terrible (and as they thought they would be canceled it's even understandable).

I look forward to watching the new season, I just hope it's longer... I can't get enough of what Michael Dante DiMartino & Bryan Konietzko do!
Flag
Now.. watched the 4 leaked episodes of the upcoming season 3... i can say for sure that the new season is better!. It haves an intriguing plot, exciting fights with awesome bending scenes, old characters development and also new interesting characters.

Even the ATLA's fans will be pleased 'cause this season includes tasty information about the previous team avatar members and their fates as well as related plots with Korra's current mission.

So i think it willl be at least sure entertaining for everyone.
Flag
They're really going to have to either fix or give some resolution to Korra losing the connection to her previous lives. I think that ticked off fans the most. Even though they're all already dead, it was like they all got killed off for no real reason.

Book Two was really bad. Really bad. Bolin turning into a tool, Mako becoming an ever bigger jerk, and Korra... she still pretty much sucks. Asami should be the Avatar, she's the only character with any depth and ethics.

I am beyond hesitant to get excited about Book 3. I really hope it gets better because I LOVED ATLA.
Flag
Yes, please Book 3 be better than 2. Although Korra did do important things in Book 2, it was Jinora and Tenzin whose stories most kept me most interested week-to-week. (I also enjoyed the travails of Eska/Bolin, and maybe a gave childish chuckle every time someone [sort of] said "Nut-tuck.") I haven't even wanted to watch Book 2 again; I'm afraid I might like it less the second time around. I don't want to dislike Korra, no matter how much Book 2 seemed to want me to.
Flag
Bolin's character was named Nuk-Tuk.
Flag
Book 2 was hit and miss for me, I mean it had beginnings, so it wasn't a complete disaster, but I was still disappointed with it as a whole, but though I have not watched any of the leaked book 3 episodes, I am cautiously optimistic like most. A heavier focus on Lin, and the sudden arrival of new air benders( supposedly an after effect of the Book 2 finale) gives me hope that Book 3 will be a huge improvement on Book 2, especially with Studio Mir back full time.
Flag
Hey Lawyer -

I know what it is like to work your butt off on doing posts, so i wanted to give you a heads up that your picture isn't showing on the main page. You are in the "sweet spot" for new posts and it is a shame there isn't a pic.

Could be a glitch that resolves itself, but just wanted to tell you
Flag
Oh thank you ed!
Flag
Staff
As I told a friend of mine when a fan-made trailer hit the Web following the accidental posting of the Spanish-language dubs by MundoNick, I refuse to get excited after the Book 2 debacle. It's sort of astounding how really cautious am about Book 3, even with this official trailer and the more spoiler-y seeming fan trailer.
Flag
The trailer looks really well-done, but I remember Book 2's trailer looking exactly the same way and look how that turned out haha
Flag
Having Bumi suddenly being to air bend is one thing, (Korra did the same thing in the Book 1 finale), but having a bunch of random people from all over the world? Are you freaking kidding me?
Flag
Staff
I'm genuinely curious if the opening between the human and spiritual realm changed bending capabilities somehow. Who knows.
Flag
That is my assumption, having air benders just appear out of thin air would be too far of a stretch for my taste, but having it as one(of hopefully many) consequences of leaving the door to the spirit world open could be interesting as well as exciting.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members