A The Legend of Korra Community
Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

The Legend of Korra S03E10: "Long Live The Queen"

Remember how Avatar: The Last Airbender used to position the different forms of bending? Firebending came off as the most threatening, especially because most of the villains were firebenders. Earthbending was kind of dangerous, because, well, rocks hurt. But waterbending and airbending always seemed rather harmless. You could blast people with air or soak them with water, maybe even freeze them in some ice, but the lasting damage never seemed all that severe, physically or psychologically.

And then "The Puppetmaster" introduced bloodbending, and suddenly, a whole new use for waterbending came into horrifying relief. It's scary and creepy, and the franchise's animation of the effects of bloodbending has always stressed its contorted nature, which makes it the worst to see. That leaves airbending as the one seemingly innocent and least life-threatening discipline of the bending arts.

Or rather, it was—right up until Zaheer airbended the air right out of the Earth Queen's body and we had the honor of seeing her eyes bulge as her oxygen swirled about her head until she (apparently) died.

As with waterbuilding and bloodbending, it's one of those applications that seems obvious in retrospect—well, of course you could do that!—but it continued to build on Zaheer's adherence to the more radical and less peaceful ideas that have surrounded airbending since the inception of the this franchise. It wasn't just a shocking use of airbending for the sake of a shocking use of airbending. Bending the air out of someone's body isn't something we could imagine Aang, Tenzin, or sweet old Monk Gyatso doing; it spits in the very face of the Air Nomad's respect for all living things, after all.

Of course, within a scene or two of killing the Earth Queen, Zaheer and the rest of the Red Lotus did something that remedied a problem within Ba Sing Se that the show has long emphasized: They tore down the wall dividing two of the classes in Ba Sing Se, bringing a violent end to the class stratification that has marked the city since we first visited it. "The Earth Queen" earlier this season served not only to remind us of the city's intense classism, but to showcase that it had, in fact, gotten worse since the end of the 100 Years' War.

Korra previewed this particular moral and political conundrum last week, as Zaheer explained his distaste for corrupt rulers and Korra retorted that there are better ways to handle such rulers than to kill them. "Yes, of course, what Zaheer did was wrong, and his method was was horrifying," the show says, "but look at what he accomplished by doing it: He broke down the walls of Ba Sing Se, the symbols of its class warfare that divided a city. It's an injustice that even Aang couldn't fix."

So we're left with that age-old question: Does that end justify these means? I don't think Korra is advocating for the assassination of leaders—boy, would that be bold for a kids' show to do!—but it does want its audience to think about the questions of who governs, how they govern, and on whose authority they govern. The collapse of the walls won't suddenly transform Ba Sing Se into Republic City, let alone establish whatever form of government the Red Lotus sees as the best option. What comes after the revolution?

While Zaheer was liberating (if you want to call it that; he certainly would) Ba Sing Se, Korra was playing in the desert! There was very little hope of her storyline being anywhere near as interesting as what was happening in the Impenetrable City, but at least those little hopes were met: Korra hooked up with some allies—OMGZ KORRA AND ZUKO ARE GOING TO BE AWESOME TOGETHER!!!—and the sandshark was, in fact, sort of cool.

If there's one thing that was legitimately cool, however, it was Asami. She hasn't had much of a chance to shine this season, so I was happy that the plans for escaping captivity and then the desert were left to her to devise and largely execute. Korra's done a nice job of remedying the "Bolin is a dolt" perspective that ruled Book 2, so it could stand to correct the similar issue that plagued Asami, too, and this episode was a very good step in that direction. 

LEAVES ON THE WIND

– Fort Bosco!

– "Bolin, will you stop making friends with the bad guys?" Bolin's real-life fanfiction for Ghazan and Ming Hau was the best. Also: That little exchange went a long way toward helping humanize those two characters a little bit. Hopefully P'Li will get a moment along those lines, too.

– I remain unconvinced as to the narrative reasons why Mako didn't do more to melt the bars holding them. (I understand the dramatic ones: He was tying to convince Bolin he could metalbend.) I guess this also falls under the "he only lightning bends when he's generating electricity for Republic City" rule of limiting Mako's abilities?

What did you think of "Long Live The Queen"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/19/2014

Season 3 : Episode 13

84 Comments
Comments (84)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I wish the queen was Korra so we could get a new Avatar already...

Seriously, book 4 and shes still a complete moron that can't think for herself.
Flag
If an air bender can bend the air out of you, doesn't that mean a water bender can bend the water out of someone? I know bloodbending is one form, but i mean pull all the water out of someone and dessicate them. Probably too violent for a show like this, but still would be visually awesome and terrifying to see.
Flag
Kid show, they would never show someone have blood removed from their body.
Flag
Well the old woman that showed katara how to bloodbend sucked up all the water from the plants nearby. So i guess it could be possible. I think you answered your own question that it might be too graphic for a kids show. I'm still a little surprised at how they got away with this.
Flag
The moment Zaheer airbended the life out of the Earth Queen, my jaw dropped, and so did my brother's. We kind of just gaped at the screen for a good 5 minutes. It was just completely unexpected, and well done.
Flag
Such a great episode. If only it aired on tv... this pulling if off the air for just online is counterintuitive. The nick website isn't very good and i can find decent quality vids elsewhere for less hassle. I hope they put it back on tv because though i can see the vids online, the quality can't compare to what air on tv [vids not being synced with the audios or weird 'gurgling' sounds].

As for the episode: loved how the airship crash to the sand raft was like flight of the Phoenix. Although i wondered if they could've tried to make some helicopter using a couple of blades and an engine. Then again given the time constraints of the sand shark, probably not doable. The sand shark was pretty creepy and that segment alone was far more entertaining than the crap sharknado 2. I am loving how much more Asami got to do in this one episode compared to all of last 2 seasons. Using her knowledge of the old ships and being to weld the ship...

I had no problems with Bolin making small talk with the captors. Afterall, better than being beaten as prisoners and kinda interesting getting a little insight on the bad guys by sorta humanizing them.
Zaheer using airbending to suck the air out of the queen was great. I dunno if he needed to kill her, as just knocking her out and locking her up in her own prison could've done the same thing. Perhaps nick is too scared to show an actual on screen death? the lavabender burning down the wall was another great visual. Yeah this whole uprising/take back your city thing is very bane-dark knight rises like, but I'm hoping they show some of the reprecusions from it.

The ending seeing Zuko there was nice especially the airship crew just thinking the dragon was a figment of their imagination and going to get drinks. But yeah finally good to see Zuko again since the fight at the ice prison. I was kinda expecting a little more than just that one appearance, but then again with so many characters to deal with and so few episodes, someone had to get fewer scenes.
More+
Flag
I do like how the show has made Bolin and Asami more interesting.
Mmmm so Ba Sing Se has no queen so shouldn't the army do something? What about the people? I hope the shows gives some thought to the ramifications of the earth queens demise.
Zaheer seems all over the place and big fan of improvisation, First he goes to the queen saying hey I want the avatar give her to me in exchange I give you two teenagers. Well after getting himself a cozy room he goes to eavesdrop a conversation, fights a little, remembers he is anti monarchy and murders the earth queen.

Flag
Actually, Monk Gyatso DID do this - on a mass scale. If you go back to A:TLA Book 1 Chapter 3, you will notice that Gyatso's remains are surrounded by the remains of Fire Nation soldiers. Gyatso most likely performed a kamikaze maneuver by bending ALL oxygen out of that room.
Flag
I noticed that Noel and a lot of commentators mention the issue with killing via Air Bending. But there's an even bigger issue here:

Forget the air bending - We have our first ever on screen death in the entire franchise.

The original series was very vague about it. There were 3 characters that "died" during the original series: General Zhao, Jet and Combustion man. All 3 had their "death" be insanely vague and could go either way (they even laughed about it in the theater episode)

Even on Korra, who did we actually see die? The bad guys in season 1 went boom through an off screen explosion. Again, things aren't clear.

But in this case, the earth queen was seen dying before our eyes as her eyes were bulging out. That is in and of itself quite a drift from your average Nick show.
Flag
Cause people live through explosions in the middle of the ocean? If the explosion didn't kill him, and they didn't succumb to their injuries, then they drowned. Because your either unconcious after that explosion or dead outright.
Flag
* If the Earth Queen was a powerful bender, Zaheer's trick on her wouldn't have even been able to be done. Blood-bending was so powerful because it was immediate and could be done on multiple people at once. It took some time for Zaheer to take the oxygen out of the Earth Queen.

* By now, one of the problems with this Season is how were these Red Lotus people captured in the first place and why was Zaheer their leader. Each can take out multiple Dai Li agents. And without airbending, Zaheer was simply the brains of the operation. But the other three are intelligent and capable as well.

* Having Zuko around obviously helps to put Korra and the Red Lotus in conflict. It's unlikely Zuko is going to accept no longer being a Fire Lord. And Lin is obviously going to support the President.

* Um, lighting bending would simply at best electrocute Mako and Bolin. We never even saw Azula try lighting bending metal that was mere feet from her.

As we saw, it took a long time for Mako to melt a little part of the metal bar; he wanted to leave the cell immediately, not after an hour or more of firebending.

* I wonder if the Earth Queen bought cheap ships on purpose to save money or if Future Industries prioritized Republic City in whom it sold stuff to.

* The Fire Nation in ways was even worse than Ba Sing Se in terms of 'social injustice'. Is the Red Lotus going to go over there and tear down walls?
More+
Flag
Nope, the fire nation although was very sadistic and imperialistic, its society is pretty much equal between classes and sexes, especially if we compare it to Ba Sing Se.
Flag
* It's strongly implied that in the Fire Nation, most of the 'rich people' were high-ranking members of the Military. We saw relatively a lot of poor towns that were poor because the Fire Nation was making things for the Military in those towns.

* In terms of the Fire Nation being equal between the sexes, I do wonder how much that has to do with Azula.
Flag
Azula was just too awesome!.. not even Zuko was able to use lightning bending at the same lvl.. and the same happen with P'Li.. she doesn't use Lightning at all... so maybe it's rare to fully master it after all. Mako is just an average fire bender after all.
Flag
Am I glad you are continuing to review this show.

I must say I saw the air choke coming....I called it on one of the ATLA forums. I think it was the logical choice, there has to be a "finishing move" for every bending art - lightning, bloodbending, metalbending and now air choke. This is what I am enjoying most about LOK, it has the freedom to introduce all these concepts that would have looked horribly out of place in ATLA.
Flag
You forgot earth bender shoving a rock straight at your heart (what Long-Feng did to Jet)
Flag
I was pretty disturbed like many at the use of air bending. I really like the twist that we alway associate air bending with Aang and the air nomads who are peaceful. This use shows that evil can pop up anywhere.
I had to make a comment and see if any one else noticed as others were talking about it - Lava bending? I too would be curious how that guy got that ability especially since he's supposed to be an earth bender? In ATLA, I'm pretty sure it was the fire benders who could control lava.
Flag
Yay! Weekly reviews continue!

I'm not a huge history geek myself but I have a lot of doubts about the success of violent revolutions. The Earth Kingdom was magnificently flawed but killing the queen leaves a power vacuum. Someone is going to fill it. I doubt that the people that went on to loot and raid after given freedom would stop and go "We need to establish a democratic society."
Then again, I think monarchy is very outdated and that Zaheer's efforts to bring it down was agreeable. What I'm trying to say is I have no idea how to react to the episode. I mostly liked it. Korra's desert adventure was nowhere near as interesting as Zaheer's revolution hijinks but I have no problem with that.
Flag
yeah i rewatched season 1 the other week and was like, how come Mako never uses lightning anymore that was epic!!!!????
Flag
Is this the only time we've actually seen someone die on camera in the Avatar-verse? I try to think back but anyone I can think of is actually dying of camera, like Zhao, he's covered by waves and we never see him die. But the Earth Queen, the first time we've seen a murder on this show - and I kind of wish it had more of an emotional impact.
Flag
Zhao, Jet and Combustion man had their deaths be off screen and unknown.
Same as Amad in first season of Korra.

Earth queen is indeed the first one.
Flag
zhaoe actually isn't dead technically he was taken to the spirit world though he is dead by this time, he's lost in the spirit world.
Flag
We don't know exactly how that works. He could have had his body dead while his spirit is wondering off. Either way, I'm talking about it from the original show's perspective.
Flag
Jet from the original series was mortally wounded and assumed to be dead after Katara could not heal him from his injuries. Everyone in that room knew that Jet wasn't going to make it after he took some rock pillars to the chest.
Flag
Jet's fate was intentionally left ambiguous, in the theater episode they even pointed that out.

The writers have explained off screen that they intended him to be dead, but it still doesn't change the fact that we didn't get a confirmation like in the earth queen's case.
Flag
Well, according to Nick's rules of their shows they're not allowed to have anyone really "die" on screen. Jet reassures everyone that he will be alright, but as they leave the scene Toph says "he's lying." Which is an indirect way of saying "he's going to die."
Flag
We actually know Zhao isn't dead, he's in the fog of lost souls in the spirit world. Amon and Tarlok's death was sort of explicit, but we see the explosion of their boat from afar.
Flag
Zhao's body could be dead when since the Ocean Spirit sorta drowned him. The spirits must've saw it fit to give his spirit a punishment worse than death. :)
Flag
I was hoping for some sand bending action this episode, it's been around since season two of the original series but we still have yet to see it used to any real effect. I like to think it would looks something like Gaara's abilities from Naruto, a mix between liquid and solid, it could be awesome and cinematic but they have yet to really show it off. P.S. Melting through metal takes time, and as we saw keeping a constant flame like that will burn the firebender. (Make pulled his hand away and blew on his fingers)
Flag
That because its really hard to control the thousands if not millions of fragments of the sand. As they have said on ATLA the discipline of earth bending require sturdiness. So the fragmented nature of sand makes it somewhat of a contradictory to that principle. So I don't think what Gaara does to sand may not be possible in this world. But cant really be sure it's still up to the creators. I mean they did create magma bending for earth benders. (I wonder what is the explanation for that)
Flag
Lava is molten rock. It was only a matter of time before some earthbender in the Avatar world figures it out. :) If bending really occurs at a molecular level then some guy could've thought about exciting the molecules enough to generate extreme heat.
Flag
People keep saying that moving molecular particles to generate heat may be the explanation to the earth to lava ability. But I just don't buy it because moving molecules around may just cause the thing to create some kind of explosion rather than just heating the earth enough to melt it. Also that explanation don't seem to fit the somewhat eastern medieval philosophy that the Avatar world has. Sure they have advances in science but they have always used a somewhat spiritual aspects when explain bending. Like guiding the energy thing to explain lighting bending.
Flag
Well the rest of the elements aren't exactly solid either, water's just a bunch of water particles so I imagine that sand bending would be more like water bending than typical earth bending.
Flag
Yes! what masteemadolkeem said about controlling the individual sand is what I am saying. Because when they bend water it is in usually in a single container like a lake of river which essentially makes it a single body of water but sand is countless of tiny earth fragment who happen to be located in one place. Even Toph, who very gifted at earth bending, don't even like sand because she according to her it makes her "vision" fuzzy. I think this is because of she has to interpret that the many particles of sand has come into contact with. Also need to be transferred to the other particles to get to her, sort of like that game pass the message.
Flag
It could be because water is more bonded at the molecular level and pretty much moves more predictable so whenever a waterbender grips some water it requires less effort. Gaara-like sandbending should require more effort to control each individual particle. :)
Flag
What a great episode!! Oh and thanks for the weekly reviews.
One of the factors that made this episode great was once again the application of bending in a new and creative form (yes, the Puppet master brought us blood bending).
In this episode we saw air-bending used in a horrifying manner, an affront to the peaceful philosophy of the Air Nomads (with the exception of Guru Lahima Muher). We see "Air removal." I think it is safe to say that this has evolved beyond a kids show.

Lets talk about bending:
So with Fire bending we have seen some pretty cool applications: flight and lighting. Also rare benders who can shoot it from there foreheads.
Water bending: Blood-bending, ice, prosthetic arms.
Air bending: Air removal from ones body.
Earth bending: lava bending, Metal bending, sand bending
Energy bending.
Spirit bending.
So theoretically there probably dozens more applications to come.
I was hoping the Earth Queen would have put up more of a fight.
Flag
In the original series, the earth king wasn't a bender, so it's not far fetched to think the earth queen wasn't a bender either.
Flag
The Earth queen was an earthbender. She moved a bunch of rocks in an earlier episode. I guess being queen (in past tense of course, ;) means she can get other people to do it for her tho...
Flag
What are talking about. Even Guru Lahima would probably not think of using air bending in that manner. Yes he is talking about some radical principles but the is probably is just pertaining to being free of the precepts of human society on how to live once life. And from what I understand Freedom is the very core of air bender discipline. What Zaheer is doing is a very good example on how people misconstrued the writing of others and projecting one's own belief into the interpretation.
Flag
I love how Avatar can be dark and funny at the same time. Also, that they put in these huge concepts like class war and philosophy but don't dumb it down. This season just keeps getting better. I just wish there were more evenly balanced fights.I just think that Zaheer's crew is too powerful. It's not even a fair fight they just destroy everyone they come into contact with. so I hope these next episodes are more even. Though this is the best season LoK has had so far.
Flag
They did lose the battle to the metal benders...
Flag
The episode had its moments and revealing more about Zaheer's philosophy helps but it also reminded me how much I miss full-length seasons. There should have been a full episode dedicated to Korra lost in the desert, her story was far too rushed to achieve anything. Also I find it very hard to believe that Bolin couldn't find a way to escape from the cell using traditional earth bending, the floor and walls were made of stone, I just don't get it.
Flag
The prison was made of metal...

Also, the entire point of Korra's desert trip was simply to explain why Zahir and his gang made it to the palace first. There isn't much need to expand on it.
Flag
I noticed that too, then realized the whole prison was made of metal.
Flag
Boy! Avatar got real dark... So is the Earth Queen dead??? Thank you for pointing out how awesome Asami was! She has no bending but girl is still kickass!
Flag
First thing first: Great! The weekly review still continues!

I found the episode on one side boring. But on the other hand it was also interesting. Asami was brilliant. An episode where she could shine for a moment, otherwise she seems to be added to the show just to be cute.

That the Earth queen is dead is something I don't mind. Indeed it is a horrible death, and I think no one really had thought that air bending could terminate someone's life. it shocked me to be honest. But on the other hand how could have Korra make sens to her? She was pretty stubborn

Furthermore, what will happen? Guess we're going back to Ba Sing Se because Mako and Bolin are still in prison and who knows, go Zuko and Korra on the road together? I hope so. Maybe we get to see the somthing of the past and more! I would love to.
Flag
I agree with the Red Lotus but chaos won't help either the elite or poor people. Like all this in Avatar there needs to be a balance.
Flag
I just wanted to thank you for continuing the weekly reviews. Great to see the Korra discussion outside the fanbase!
Flag
I Think that bending it terms of how creepy and scary it is should be in this order:
1- (Water bending) man the blood bending is so creepy, and the image of that old lady in ATLA blood bending will never get out of my head.
2- (Air bending) holy crap sucking the air out of someone is just scary and creepy that it's in second place, but not as creepy as blood bending.
3- (Fire bending) i mean it's fire but that just shows how creepy the other two are if fire is number three.
4- (Earth bending) i still see nothing creepy in earth bending, Maybe Lava bending ?
Flag
Did you see how Jet was murdered in Last Airbender?
Flag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oNc3DUbPVU
Flag
I'd least thought,since she was EARTH QUEEN,that she..you know...that she could earth bend ffs. Bumi was over 100 years old and fought Aang...how the fuck can she be Earth Queen and not be able to do some form of bending. It just makes her a bitch...who would be afraid of her,is she is not a bender?

Ugh,I can't stand Asami. Waste of space and she's everything that I can't stand...this show strength in my eyes is about bending,but because I imagine people have hard time milking money out of fans based on bending,they bring in someone with technology,so they could advertise and sell shit like "avaar ship,bike,etc." And that is my distaste about LoK and that Republic City,where they chase each other with cars,bikes,bla bla bla.... at least before Asami was in a love triangle drama,but now she is completely useless to still have on show. I hope Earth Queen is dead and that Asami also dies.

But episode was great and awsome at scenes wiht Red Lotus and Bolin and Mako...and at end with Zuko.
Flag
The fire nation had extremely powerful benders in the royal family due to breeding and more importantly the fact that they challenge each other via Agni Kai. Meaning they duel using fire and the winner steps up - in other words survival of the fittest.

The earth kingdom is ruled by a class system, bending has little to do with it. Earth represents stability, so it's not likely that the earth kingdom had many attempts to cease the throne.

As Noel pointed out, the original earth king wasn't a bender, most likely she wasn't one either.
Flag
I think we saw she wasn't,since she wasn't able to defend herself . I thought she must be some powerful bender or something,since her servant was so afraid of her,but she was just bitch. Whatever I am done talking about that worthless trash of a queen. Go Zaheer!
Flag
Staff
For the record, the Earth King couldn't earthbend, either.
Flag
Seriously need to rewatch ATLA...forgot half(lie..probably even more) the stuff.
Flag
I think the DVDs are available now. The series is pretty awesome I have watch it several times and It is still entertaining the last time I watched it. Seriously dude you know Bumi is not the earth king right he is just the ruler of Oma Shu (not really sure about the spell but the city that sounds like that). May I should rewatch it too. LOL
Flag
Yeah I know Bumi wasn't Earth King,just king of his city. I already have ATLA on my hard drive from first time around,so I just need to make time to watch it. But I'll buy dvds sometime in the future.
Flag
We only have two episodes left and there is still missing the most important feature of book three. Where on earth (pun intended) Toph is.
Flag
What did you think of "Long Live The Queen"?
Well, since you asked... I think it was quite shitty, pardon me, bad (kids show, after all), and a huge step backwards in terms of quality in comparison to the rest of the season.

Korra's and Asami's plot line was painfully contrived and very obviously done to delay her final confrontation with the Red Lotus. Yes, it did give Asami a few moments to shine, however, this being the penultimate episode, at the worst time dramaturgically possible. To top it all off, the two of them meet Zuko and Korra's dad at the random oasis they turn up at?
Mako and Bolin stole way too much screen time once they were imprisoned (Bolin's quipping with Ghazan and Ming Hau was funny, I admit) when they accomplished nothing -- Bolin didn't get any closer to becoming a metal bender, Mako didn't achieve anything singeing the bars, and so on.
The only remedying part of the episode involved the promise of the Red Lotus being an anarchist revolutionary group from last week's episode. And yet even that only happened (quite randomly, as well) after Zaheer had a sudden change of heart upon hearing of Korra's delay. He was all 'friendly prisoner-knowledge exchange' and suddenly turns towards (pretty easily, I might add) assassinating a monarch without the slightest hint of this being his original intention (which would've made sense, given what we learned last week).

All in all, this was all over the place and disappointing if you ask me. I say this, of course, thinking this still miles better than last year's penultimate effort. I do so very much hope the finale will make up for this.

P.S: Did Ghazan just do without breaking a sweat what Iroh could do only with Sozin's comet?
More+
Flag
Actually no, Ghazan took down the wall but the Dai Li managed to do that as well once they were under Azula's control. So it's not that far fetched either.

I agree that this episode was rather boring and more importantly somewhat less dramatic than it should be. Frankly, the voice actor for Zaheer is awful...
You'd think a killing (and on a kids show no less) would be a lot more memorable. The animation did its part but the acting... yeesh...

As for Mako and Bolin, I have a hunch (just guessing, not a spoiler since I don't know) that there was a lot of talk on Toph this season and she is likely to show up soon. Mako essentially asked Bolin to do what Toph did when she originally metal bended - get out of a cage.
The fact that he couldn't would come to show how powerful she is when she shows up.
Flag
Staff
Well, you can hope for a little bit extra since this wasn't the penultimate episode. ;)
Flag
Whoops.
Flag
That's what you get for being rude to guests and eating Bosco. That was one of the most violent death possible. I'm surprised they got away with it. It was not the ambiguous death Jet got. I also loved the fight with the Dai Li. Considering how powerful they've been depicted in the past, they were nothing against the Red Lotus.

I really like Zaheer's philosophy. Not so happy he will want to do the same to the other leader's since they're not as big of aholes, but all the same. His line that; freedom is not to be given and taken at her will was a nice close. Now the city will burn and a new more chaotic freedom will take hold.
Flag
With all due respect... The Dai Li weren't that great against Ang and his gang.
Heck, they were hardly a threat for the newly formed air benders this season.

They were never all the impressive...
Flag
Well one can hope. The truth is a lot of revolution are violent and most of the time they just replace the old aholes with new aholes. Because lets get real, it is kinda human nature.
Flag
Since when has TLOK been a kid show? There was blood bending, kidnapping, electrocution, and a murder-suicide, and the was just in the first freaking book! If its really is a kid show, then kid shows have gotten ALOT darker since I was a kid.

I thought sound couldn't travel unless it was through a median (like air), could the earth queen hear anything that Zaheer told her?
Flag
Umm... It is a kids show. It's on Nick...

Blood bending? Why is that in and of itself not something a kids show would do? It's just control over someone's body. What you do with it determines its pg rating.

Kidnap? You mean like Team Rocket captures Pikachu every single episode?

Electrecution is more reasonable argument but it wasn't really a gore-fest torture like in horror movies.

Murder suicide? You're kidding right? I'm assuming you mean blowing up the ship in the finale? You realize that they did that off screen with an ambiguity *just* because it's a kids show right? Same as Jet in the original one...

That is what made the earth queen different. It *wasn't* off screen nor ambiguous and her eyes popping out was on a verge of gore.
Flag
Well... Since no one in the show's universe has "turned his/her gaze to the stars", I really doubt that they even know what a vacuum is. My guess is that the earth queen's last thought was "I wonder what that douchebag is talking about.." and Zaheer got an ego boost from giving an epic speech to someone who, ultimately, never heard a word of it. Or something! Nice catch though. I think the writers didn't really think about that!
Flag
Well it is originally shown in a children focused chanel. So you can probably call it that.

And in regards to hearing there air in there and they even highlighted it in the illustration. In any case, I would think the earth queen would be too busy with stuff oh like I don't know gasping for air to even bother listening for anything. I know I would be.
Flag
I thought sound couldn't travel unless it was through a median (like air), could the earth queen hear anything that Zaheer told her?
Yes, sound is a longitudinal wave through matter, that is, oscillating atoms (of which there are none in vacuum and therefore no sound).
Flag
Are you a physicist of just someone who decided to wiki this phenomenon.
Flag
High school.
Flag
Wow... I thought Korra would be the one to take the Earth Queen out of power (peacefully). Now Zaheer is going to see just how anarchy leads to exactly what happened in Ba Sing Se. Looting and rioting.

And I'm guessing that Zuko's daughter is next on the hit list...
Flag
All I want is for this to make it to season 4... Episode was awesome, and thanks for sticking with us and making these reviews!
Flag
Staff
Season 4's already been confirmed. Was a while back, and was reconfirmed when the whole blow up about the show's schedule occurred. They're already in production on it.
Flag
:D Yay, weekly reviews are a thing again!
Also, this episode was awesome! Too bad it leaked before it was released....so almost the entire fandom has already seen it and discussed it. Seriously though, the Earth Queen's death was....shocking. I can't wait to see what comes next with "The Ultimatum..." (though I have a strong theory)
Flag
Staff
Yeah, I meant to add that as a note that we're going to keep the weeklies.

And I did not know it had been leaked. Siiiigh.
Flag
Don't believe the hype. Only the first 4 or 5 episodes were leaked and they were dubbed in Spanish.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members