A The Legend of Korra Community
Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

The Legend of Korra S03E12 and S03E13: "Enter the Void" and "Venom of the Red Lotus"

The overall thrust of these final two installments of Book 3 confirms for me that the writers really wanted to produce a lighter, less overtly political season of The Legend of Korra. It was heavy on the WHIZ-BANG-POW aspects, low on the concerns for global change—maybe the collapse of Ba Sing Se will be a central part of Book 4?—and essentially amounted to, "If we kill the hero, there'll be no one to stand in our way!" villainy, complete with a poorly conceived deathtrap. (Did Zaheer really think that some chains were going to hold an Avatar who was in the Avatar State? What a dolt.) With Book 3, Korra went whole-hog in becoming a fun Saturday morning cartoon romp.

My invocation of Saturday-morning cartoons shouldn't be taken dismissively, as I enjoyed the finale a great deal. Certainly, it was better than Book 2's underwhelming and oddly dull conclusion, and it wasn't devoid of Korra's overarching interest in how its title character fits into the world—this time as the protector of an artificial (and corrupt) world order—but that "bigger-picture" outlook remained quiet for much of the finale before roaring to life in the closing minutes. 

So Book 3 was fun, fun in a way that Korra's never really been before. Tonal clashes, such as the one we saw in Book 2 when the show's humor ran up against Unalaq's seriousness, never really surfaced. Sure, sometimes the more comedic elements undercut dramatic moments, like the cut to Pabu and Naga playing with Mako's scarf in the finale, but given that Zaheer's goals remained a mystery to us until Episode 9, it was almost as if the show was telling us, "Yes, Zaheer's a bad dude, but don't stress out about it. Everything will end up (mostly) okay, so just enjoy the ride."

And it turned out to be a pretty good ride. These two episodes were probably the best-looking and most exciting installments Korra's done since Book 1—aside from "Beginnings" Parts 1 and 2 from Book 2, of course. Korra chasing a flying Zaheer through a canyon was a particular standout, as it served up a long take that must've likewise taken a while to animate, and the time and care put into it showed. Korra, like Last Airbender before it, continues to find new ways to depict violent acts while staying within Nickelodeon's Standards & Practices guidelines—you know, like having P'Li BLOW OFF HER OWN HEAD after Su metalbended a piece of armor around it, with the shot cutting away quickly enough that we all knew what happened but didn't actually see it happen. It was also pretty nice how lavabending turned out to be interesting to watch once Bolin discovered he could do it as well. Previously, it had just been an easy way for Zaheer and the gang to get away, harass, and trap everyone else, and so it allowed Ghazan to come off as a little over-powered. Bolin provided a nice and much-needed check to that.

Bolin actually proved to be the stealth star of Book 3, as much of the character assassination that'd been leveled against him in Book 2 was undone. Last season, Bolin was made out to be really dumb and pretty cowardly, as opposed to being a competent but insecure goofball, which is what he was in Book 1 and returned to being in Book 3. His humor was always on point, and he benefited from the season's "Change" subtitle more than most, finding a new confidence in his relationship with Opal and in his lavabending ability. It was very nice to see the character back in form, and also being developed a bit in the process.

Let's talk a bit more about change as I wrap this up. Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino recently appeared on the Nerdist podcast and one of the things they discussed was that Korra wants to be the Avatar, in contrast to Aang, who had trouble accepting the role. And so, each season, they've created antagonists who threaten that identity. Amon took away bending, one of the key components of being the Avatar. Unalaq and Vaatu tried to eliminate Raava and the light. Zaheer wanted the Avatar gone entirely, as the Avatar protects order, and order is in direct opposition to the Red Lotus's political and philosophical goals. Each antagonist threatened Korra's place in the world, a world that increasingly isn't totally interested in the Avatar as a world presence.

So each season so far has really been about the potential for drastic change, ending with either no change (Book 1) or major change that doesn't like a huge concern (Book 2). Book 3 ended with Korra in a wheelchair, and everyone talking about how she needs time to heal. President Raiko was even wondering how she could possibly be the Avatar from a wheelchair, which is probably a question that Korra herself is asking. It's a situation not unlike the one Korra found herself in at the end of Book 1, before the show quickly hand-waved away the question of how the Avatar can be the Avatar without bending (how the Avatar can be the Avatar without access to the past lives seems like less of a concern). 

I'm intrigued by the resulting story options, even as I suspect some folks will see these circumstances as further justification for their position that Korra's just a whiny, self-pitying brat. Tenzin has declared the airbenders to be de-facto Avatars while she recovers in the "wandering the world and solving problems" sort of way, something Korra herself has struggled to achieve in ways that don't involve her beating people up. It's all too easy for Korra to fall into the trap of thinking she's been replaced and thus has no value as the Avatar, something that, as I said above, the show has been grappling with since its inception.

I want to see this issue addressed. I want it to be the driving force behind Korra becoming the Avatar she wants herself to be, to help her step out of her perception of Aang's shadow as well as her own insecurities. Book 4 will be the last for Korra and The Legend of Korra. It's time for both her and the show to do this.

LEAVES ON THE WIND

– How in the world did Jinora know that the Red Lotus poison was metal? Perhaps I missed it, but I don't think anyone said as much, at any point. Just like in the Book 2 finale, Jinora was the vessel for the show writing itself out of a weird corner with very little in the way of explanation. But, hey, she's an airbending master now! I'm excited about that.

– Su's not a Red Lotus member...OR IS SHE JUST BIDING HER TIME, WAITING TO FILL THE POWER VACUUM LEFT BEHIND BY ZAHEER?! I'm going to cling to this theory until the bitter end.

– So the answer to, "Why doesn't Mako just lightningbend?" appears to be, "He only lightningbends near really large pools of water while balancing between stalagmites, or when he's generating electricity for Republic City."

– A very minor thing, but it may've been my favorite thing about these pair of episodes, and it was the height difference between P'Li and Zaheer and how Zaheer needed to crane his head up a touch to kiss her. Details like that matter a lot.

– It's worth listening to that Nerdist podcast, unless you're one of those folks who routinely espouses the opinion that Korra is a crummy Avatar/character compared to Aang, as Konietzko and DiMartino aren't all that interested in your perspective. Of note, however, is the fact that the rushed released of Book 3 had nothing to do with the pirated episodes and everything to do with Nickelodeon only having a narrow window in which to air the show; it was either squeeze it in this summer or else hold it until sometime in 2015, which basically just makes Nickelodeon sound sort of awful at planning things. As for the network's decision to shift the show to online-only status, it seems that Konietzko and DiMartinob either can't or simply won't discuss the reasons why.

– Best episodes of the season: "The Earth Queen," "The Stakeout," "Long Live the Queen," "Enter the Void," and "Venom of the Red Lotus." 

What did you think of the finale and Book 3 as a whole?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/19/2014

Season 3 : Episode 13

240 Comments
Comments (240)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
too bad this series is over :'(((
Flag
Just got caught up, making me very late to the party, but I really liked this season as a whole, the show came out ahead in spite of the weird scheduling controversy...to which I will add my own pet theory: perhaps Nickelodeon got gun-shy over airing the episode "Long Live the Queen", which pretty unambiguously showed the onscreen (and somewhat horrifying) death of the Earth Queen by asphyxiation?

I'm so glad there will be a fourth season, I think we can look forward to a changed, more reluctant Korra, one who has been repeatedly pushed to the edge both mentally and physically and may well take some coaxing to return to "active duty". Meanwhile, I've always felt that Jinora had the makings of a more important character, perhaps it will be time for her to step forward more while the older generation like Beifong and Tenzin take a step back.
Flag
Saturday morning cartoons? I don't know about that, I thought that was pretty dark. Maybe we haven't seen the same cartoons, but personally I'd have trouble finding something that matches Korra in character depth, attention to detail, and a plot that doesn't take younger viewers for idiots.
Also Zaheer being able to "let go" after P'li died and mastering the ability to fly reminded me a lot of Ang's lessons with the guru in AtlA, when he thought he had to let go of Katara to master the Avatar state. I love that the show is consistent in its mythology and philosophy.

Are there really still people out there complaining about Korra being a horrible character? In general, but especially in those last two episodes, I kept thinking what a great heroine she was. She's flawed, yes (she wouldn't be interesting if she wasn't), but she's grown a lot since S1 and she's one of my favourite female characters on TV right now. This show has generally been good to its female characters this season (Jinora and Asami obviously, the Bei Fong sisters, but also P'li who got enough characterization to be a likable villain, and there'll always be a place in my heart for the tentacle woman who is just awesome).

More+
Flag
loved it but hated Korra beeing all weak - she picted up her power in the end but sill couldent win over zaheer
Flag
"The overall thrust of these final two installments of Book 3 confirms for me that the writers really wanted to produce a lighter, less overtly political season of The Legend of Korra...With Book 3, Korra went whole-hog in becoming a fun Saturday morning cartoon romp."

Okay, I'll admit, it's been a while since I've gotten out of bed in time and coherent enough to sit down and watch some Saturday morning cartoons. But I'm certain that one of the reasons I stopped was because of the superficial garbage that was being passed off as weekend watching.

In the big picture, Book 3 was much like a James Bond film. And while I know Bond can be considered pretty "fluffy", in comparison to most toons (and certainly anything in the Nickelodeon lineup), fluffy is awfully deep when put up against Spongebob, Fairly Odd Parents and Power Rangers.

Sure, it was bad guys trying to take out the good guy, but WHY? They'd already toppled the Earth Queen and were looking to take out the heads of all the kingdoms and their corresponding governments so that anarchy (see will of the people) could prevail instead of living in a world with highly corrupt leaders who were only serving the best interest of themselves and the upper crust of society be it through back room deals or waging war...any of this sound familiar? Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius ever had that much to say about the world we live in.
More+
Flag
"How in the world did Jinora know that the Red Lotus poison was metal?"

Remember, Jinora saw the poison they were going to administer to Korra. It had that metallic look to it and I am sure with all her knowledge she new what it was.
Flag
That and the benders administering it were in earth kingdom gear, so naturally, earth benders.
Flag
It was actually said that it was platinum when Zaheer was laying out his evil plan.
Flag
I think the real question is...what respectable parent allows their daughter to shave her head and get permanent arrow tattoos printed on her scalp and down her arms? WHAT? Worst. Parenting. Ever.

LOL..
Flag
Wouldn't blame the parents. Jinora seemed pretty set on wanting those tattoos. Now shaving her whole head was drastic as she could have just shaved the center like the female air avatar had when ang was speaking to her.
Flag
I think they get shaved, to get the tattoos, but the women (and some men) let their hair grow back. That's why we see the female air avatar with tattoos and hair.
Flag
It's irony.
Flag
This was a very beautiful episode. I know its a cartoon but I found myself tearing up at the end when Jinora was annointed as an Airbending master, and she stood up, looking so much like the honorable Aang...Beautiful story, and the animation was breathtaking, especially during the battle, competing with the likes of some blockbuster films. Reminded me of Man of Steel, but more poetic
Flag
That was a massive final, on par with Sozin's Comet in many ways, even surpasses it in animation and inventive fighting mechanics.
It's bad the writers were more interested in making Zaheer's group sympathetic characters rather than giving them proper motivation. I still loved the group, they were great and I buy that they meant everything they said. But the chaos philosophy is a complicated world view that was mostly just an excuse for The Red Lotus to be villainous villains.
Zaheer's still alive so Korra will probably have a soul searching discussion with him next season and ask why he was doing this so we can get more development for them.
Anyway this season was great, a lot of minuses but overall it works and was a joyous experience. I'm hopeful for the Avatar universe again.
Flag

Two major things I hope happen in Book 4 are I really, really, REALLY hope whatever it was that caused the leak SNAFU in the first place gets fixed. This was a good season and deserved more than being pushed to online only status. Second, I REALLY like to see Korra go into the Avatar State more often. If she weren't forced, she wouldn't have done it this season. And I'm sorry, when Mako told her the air benders weren't there, she should have gone into the Avatar state right then and there. True it wouldn't have made for the ending we had but it would have been more realistic. Yeah, the foibles of TV, sometimes things have to happen for the sake of time. It just seems, no one - including Korra - "remembers" she's the Avatar until it's convenient. Until then she's just some nuisances who can bend 4 elements.
Flag
She couldnt go into the Avatar state after the events of Book 2. She lost her connection to her past lives which make up the Avatar state as a result of what Tarloq did to her.
Flag
Forgot about that. But given that, then doesn't it stand to reason - guessing here - that even under extreme duress, including dieing, she still shouldn't be able to go into the avatar state? But now that she has, is there some way for here to get the connection back?
Flag
Do you believe the wheelchair is a permente thing?
Flag
I am sure if there is a will there is a way. I mean there was only one other person that would levitate and fly. I am hopeful that she can regain her connection. However, I am more worried with her wheelchair state. Is it a physical recovery that will be made in months or has the poison affected the ability to use her body and bend?
Also, when she was crying at a point of celebration. She certainly wasn't happy. Was it her missing her bending? Was it her knowing that she will never bend again? Her feeling that she can no longer be the Avatar? Perhaps it was because Jinora looks so much like Aang and she will never have that connection again? What do you think?
Flag
I think she was seeing Jinora, a new leader, and thinking of herself mostly helpless in a wheelchair, and realising how easily she could be replaced as a world leader.
Flag
I think her crying came more from her being in the wheelchair than anything else. I'm sure she'll bend again but she has to wondering what kind of Avatar can she be from a wheelchair. Hopefully, this will all make for a great book 4.
Flag
I think I'm wrong now. I really have no idea Lol.
Flag
Actually Korra could still use the Avatar State, she does it in the first episode of the season (book) to "remove" the vines that were plaguing Republic City.
Her not using the avatar state was something that bugged me as well, but maybe it was only under "extreme" circumstances when she needed the power did she really ever use it. I mean there is a risk, something Zaheer tried to exploit, that if she were to die in the Avatar state the avatar cycle would end. Maybe she was fearful of Zaheer and therefore never wanted to use it unless she absolutely felt she needed to.
Flag
why would kuvira save Korras dad if shes red lotus,
come on people.
Flag
Why introduce her, and even name her, in the season finale, unless she has a larger role to play?
Flag
The finale was full of exciting fighting scenes. I was particularly impressed with the fight between Zaheer and Avatar state Korra. It felt like a tribute to Aang's fight with the... What was his name fire lord dictator dude (just woke up, I don't have the energy to google that).

This show is magnificent in camouflaging the violence. How brutal was P'Li's death? I mean woah. Just imagine that there's a mangled corpse without a head in THIS show. Of course we don't see it but it's still there.

All in all... The final fight was very well done. The avatar state kind of scares me. Korra was flinging huge mountain tops at Zaheer. That's some power there. Zaheer was an idiot for believing that a few chains could keep that power at bay. A dolt is a perfect word for him. Even the Earth Queen's Hannibal containment suit of sorts would have been a better contraint.
Flag
I agree, totally loved that fight, but I wonder what the avatar state even is anymore, it was explained to be a defence mechanism that combined all the knowledge of the past avatars, but Korra has severed that link? May be it's now just power combined with Raava.

P'Li's death actually scared me, it's a horrible way to die!

And his name was Fire Lord Ozai :P
Flag
I'm starting to think Nickelodean really pulled the last 5 episodes off the air because of the graphic nature of the deaths, which has never really been explored before on this show. PLi's death was shocking. SHOCKING. Jus..wow.
Flag
May be, it makes total sense, LoK is by far a lot darker than TLA.
Flag
And I don't want to sound smug but I did have a feeling that Mako never used his lightning bolt skill just because it was highly fatal (though fire isn't all that un-fatal to be honest) and he usually uses bending to defend/immobilize. Mako is a good guy.
Flag
Awesome finale to the show's best season so far!!!
Flag
Ummm anybody think that after legend of Korea is over they should start making zukos quest. A show were zuko goes on a quest to find his mother. Where we can see the old group grown up a little bit. Then they tag along with zuko to find his mom. Idk. Maybe katara has tenzin on the way. Wouldn't you all think that would be a good idea. Because I think it is
Flag
It's already in a comic book story, but would be nice to watch more of the original Team Avatar.

I think they should do a story on Sokka's quest to find his space sword! :P
It was a really awesome sword.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
You should check out 'The Search' by Dark horse Comics, it covers that whole story where Zuko looks for his mom. In fact there a few series that cover the time gap between Aang and Korra. Right now it's up to 'The Rift: Part 2'. I just bought, but haven't read it yet!
Flag
Does anyone know if they will start a whole new series with a different Avatar next? It would suck for it to end completely
Flag
Konietzko and DiMartino want to create other projects, so Book 4 will probably be the last of the Avatar Universe on screen. It will continue to live as comic books though.
Flag
Zukos quest to find his mother. The group tags along when there older and katarra has tenzin on the way
Flag
Jinora knew the poison was metal because she had been spying on the Red Lotus ever since they moved them to that new prison cave.
Flag
This. They specifically showed her spying in when they were bending it out of the containers.
Flag
Exactly. Thus she would have known that the men manipulating it were earth/metal benders, so it couldn't be water.

Though really all you have to do is look at it to tell. It's shiny, reflective, grey and beads exactly like mercury. Hell, it probably literally was mercury, it's certainly poisonous enough.

While it can be tricky for us to identify an cartoon version of mercury, seeing it first person in real life it's quite easy to identify. So Jinora could likely tell it was metallic even just by seeing it.
Flag
is that it now no more korra or is there going to be another season ? I have really enjoyed them since book 1 , really enjoyed the last airbender didnt think anything could come close to it but korra is brilliant .
Flag
They are working on the fourth (and last) season already
Flag
After that Zukos quest to find his mother. The group tags along when there older and katarra has tenzin on the way
Flag
Stop giving people false information. that quest is already being covered in the comics
Flag
Frankly? I think that this season, individual episodes were great. Way better than last seasons' crap.

But as a whole season?!?

Really nothing happened. We are told the earth kingdom is in chaos but we didn't get to see much of it. Zaheer and his gang really didn't do much beside it.

The return of the air benders is the big change, but we sort of figured that out since episode 1? And how about opening the spirit portals, that didn't seem to do anything other than bring the air benders back (still not sure how that happened frankly... shouldn't a lion turtle be giving air bending like before?)

Zaheer and his gang were formidable benders and I give them credit for at least getting rid of them with decent excuses for each of them. But ultimately they are the most flat characters this show ever had. Basically we just want chaos. Woopdi Friging Doo.

Frankly, couldn't Zaheer and his gang have just shot Kora with a poison dart when they tried to get her the first time and be done with it?
Their plan was a huge disappointment.

Bolin being lava bender is decent considering his parents were earth and fire benders. But he learn it out of thin air?!? Not to mention totally mastering it in less than 30 seconds? Toph may have invented metal bending, but they explained how it works and that she was one of the most powerful benders in all the world let alone had probably hours to concentrate on those bars. Bolin learning to master it so fast (much like Zaheer's air bending) is a bit "iff"
Bolin never seemed so powerful before.

All in all, I'd say waaaaaaay better than season 2, but I personally prefered season 1 more.

P.S
PiLi blew herself up? I thought they covered her face with metal and she chocked to death from lack of air...

Either way, we have the official metal bending killing move.
More+
Flag
It would've been nice to see if Korra finally bended those spirit-vines out of Republic city. They never went back to that story
Flag
The Lion Turtles are extinct, they needed Korra in the Avatar state to kill her,
if not she would have been reborn. Did you not see P'li shoot that beam out of here head when the helmet closed she blew her own head off.
Flag
What an AMAZING finale! the crazy bending fight scenes that I've been waiting for finally happened and was done perfect. I really like how the producers didnt make this season an obvious "bad guy losses, hero wins the end" -- but instead ended it with many new possibilities and options for a new plot and direction. Really heartbreaking to see the lively Korra degraded to a wheelchair and tear up at the end.

MY THEORIES (please tell me what you think):
Could Mako and Bolin be the next heir to the Earth Kingdom??? Their grandmother seems to have a deep fondness for the Queen. Whether or not she truly loves the Queen or old age is getting the best of her -- but throughout Ba Sing Sei, no one really shows their love and support for the Queen as much as she does. Would be interesting if it were true!
Flag
The look of sad Korra on a wheel chair is breaking my heart. If she can't walk anymore then I hope she will at least learn to fly like Zaheer.

I'm happy that Bolin is now Lava Bender and his romance with Opal is blooming. Also YaY for Jinora becoming Airbender master!

I can't wait for the finale chapter of Korra's story (I'm sad that there won't be book 5 though :( )

Thanks for season 3 reviews Noel!
Flag
Hopefully she will rehab and walk again? Or they will introduce a new kind of Avatar. I don't think Korra can let go of all earthly tethers and fly.
I love that the group all have special abilities now (Korra-metalbending, Maku-lightening and Bolin-lavabending)
Flag
to clearify its not jinora wasn't there for it. she could have overheard off screen about the mercury. he could have over heard about the guards while she was looking around or since she saw the buckets she just could have known what it was.
Flag
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, there were quite a lot of the incomprehensible plot points we've come to know, like Zaheer thinking a few chains would hold the Avatar in their Avatar State, and the fact that the subsequent battle between Korra and Zaheer was the exact clone of Airbender's final battle in all environment, set up, and execution.
On the other hand, there was a good sense of structure throughout the whole finale, Mako and Bolin finally being recognized as the skilled benders they are, and that touching ceremony making Jinora a master airbender (which she has done surprisingly little of, lately -- airbending, that is).

I am intrigued where they are going to take Korra's character next season as I believe she is the one that has been neglected all season long. She's the goddamn Avatar and she's been kicked around like a football (that'd be the round one, Americans) all season long. This is supposed to be about her, isn't it?
Flag
What an incredible season. Such a comeback from the second awful season. I was hoping that the Red Lotus quartet would be the last book's villains but I'm impressed that their demise/defeat wasn't rushed and very fitting. The fights were glorious. There were so many in the last two episodes that they blend together but that's not a bad thing. They were all good. Especially Korra vs Zaheer. Korra going berserk in the Avatar state was cool to see because I was worried she wouldn't get to do much. The animation in the sky was insane though. Jinora getting her tattoos was also a great emotional cap on the season.
Flag
That sky battle animation was SICKK! Breathtaking..ome amazing storytelling
Flag
Yes our plan is to induce the avatar state and then try to kill her? Dummies. On another note. I thought the avatar state was accomplished by having a connection to the past avatars. If there is no connection can she still achieve that state?
Flag
The reason I was asking is because I found this on another site: The Avatar State is a defense mechanism, in which an Avatar may freely access the knowledge and powers of all previous Avatars. This provides the Avatar with great powers, as well as mastery over all four elements (even if the Avatar has not yet learned all four bending disciplines). A pretty good definition of the Avatars powers. Just wanted some feedback from fellow viewers.
Flag
The connection to the past Avatars was a side benefit of the permanent merge with Raava. Wan and Korra could still use the Avatar state, but they do not get the bonus of the wisdom and experience of all past Avatars.
Flag
ARe you sure? I didnt think she could access the Avatar state at all after the battle with Vatu
Flag
She is still connected to Rava, so she is still the Avatar.
Flag
Amazing Season, Amazing Finale! The Legend of Korra is now a very worthy successor to The Last Airbender.
Flag
No.
Flag
Nope.
Flag
Yes it is but think of after korra.Zukos quest to find his mother. The group tags along when there older and katarra has tenzin on the way
Flag
dude, they already told that story... its in a graphic novel called "The Search" (there are three parts). Zuko and the old gang go and find his mother. you should definetly read it. It's jus like the show, except you have to read it
Flag
Book: Change is the creative team's finest work since Book: Earth.

Everything from the music, animation, storytelling to the characters was perfect in my opinion. The villains were especially complex and developed. Zaheer was truly an intimidating antagonist and the juxtaposition with him being an Airbender is very unique and original. He can be calm and collected in one second and then completely insane in the next! I also love the fact that he specifically got the power of Airbending since air is the element of freedom and that's exactly what he's trying to achieve. The final battle with him and Korra in the sky was both epic and symbolic. A clash of ideologies where the main protagonist is the one who's enraged and left damaged. Everything fit in with the established universe and the world-building was done masterfully.

Mike and Bryan done it again! Loved this Season. 10/10
Flag
I think it seems fitting that Bolin became a Lava Bender since her mother was a fire bender?

And as for Korra, I am really liking the development, I just hope that they don't mess up how she's going to rebuild herself next season.
Flag
For me, no season is as good as korra season 1 (including last airbender). Every episode (last one the highest) created chills in my spine, which no other animated series ever never did before!
Flag
This review listed a lot of things that I also noticed.

Korra is okay compared to other shows out there. It goes without saying that it's not on the level of the original series.

For me, there was never a moment in the series when I really felt connected with the storyline. It never felt like Korra's inner struggles connected in any way with the outer world, and I never really felt any lasting sense of peril besides, "Oh no! Somebody might die!"

One of the biggest things that unsettles me is that they created a real situation in which the Avatar would cease to exist altogether, but then didn't go through with it.

I know this sounds weird, but given the way they set up the finale and final battle therein, I would rather see the story continue without the Avatar for awhile.

I'd rather see Korra die (in the story sense, not actually—she's a good character) and then, in the next series, see Genora make contact with all the old Lion Turtles and become the new Avatar—plus even cooler for whatever reason. Maybe she can TIMEBEND. booyha. That'd be fun.

Maybe there are others who feel the same way as I do, and maybe there aren't. But the biggest problems of the series seem to stem from the fact that the things which the storytellers want us to fear aren't thing about which we're actually afraid.

In Book 1, it was losing one's bending abilities.

Guess what, I can't bend. So...when people lost their bending I was like...um...yep. Know how that feels. And...it really ain't that bad.

In Book 2, I'm not really sure what the overriding conflict was. Was it Korra's fear over being a leader and being the Avatar? Was it about not being able to maintain normal relationships?
I think, likely, it was the former.
Anyway, that main sense of conflict had potential, but was so confusing I couldn't really grasp onto it.

Now, in Book 3, the overriding conflict is still unclear to me. It seems like mostly a sprawling attempt to figure out what the source of conflict was—Zaheer and his devious plot to end the world as we know it....muwahahahaha—and then it ended without us ever being able to mentally process the actual danger of Zaheer ending the Avatar cycle. (That is, even though Zaheer said that he wanted to end the Avatar cycle earlier, in the storyline we never had any chance to process the ramifications of that peril and why it is that we should fear it.)

Anyway. Ya, too many promises that went either unfulfilled altogether, or had a cop-out fulfillment.

The character designs are nice.
More+
Flag
I think you're watching the wrong show. Good luck on your future endeavors.
Flag
I say there is a lot of improvement since Book 2... In the absence of her access to her past lives actually made Zaheer's job much much easier because Korra is vulnerable as ever. I say, Zaheer can eat his words when he tried to get rid of order. He ordering around the Red Lotus under his bidding isn't really chaotic you know!!! Obviously Guru Lahima establish the balance and the fine line between order and chaos.. Zaheer may have manage to enter the void.. I was impress that he was getting stronger and stronger.. but no one can beat the pants of energybending...

Haiz... Mako Mako... why couldn't you lightning bend sooner?... Are you afraid that Azula will redirect it?? I am sorry, it's Meng Hua.. :P

Since Book 3 had further establish Toph's family... Maybe Book 4 can elaborate more with Zuko and Sokka... I really miss Katara...

Jinora is doing great.. She showed great leadership for the air nations... Her saving Korra like that... it was the least she can do since previously all she could do was to run and let Kai do all the distraction...

I look forward for Book 4.. Really.. I hope Book 4 will be better.. Can't wait how it will turn out to be..
More+
Flag
oh.. and who is Kuvira?? I had noticed her in the metal clan.. She is very suspicious... Since in Saofu...
Flag
it could be that kuvira will be an important character in book 4, maybe even a love interest to one of the brothers mako or bolin

but best guess is that kuvira is probably a love child of toph :3 a 3rd sister one that toph never told them
Flag
Su's husband a red lotus gang.
Mercury bender who poison korra also a metal bender...
is it really all the Metal bender have bigger stories behind???
Im starting to doublt Su's all along has a big plan behind....
why didnt she tell them she knew Zaheer 20 years ago???
Flag
but the pictures of suyin and a man in the circus.. that doesn't look like zaheer.. i mean his eyebrowns are not the same.. (deep down i wish she is not evil)
Flag
I agree with you all the way. I actually laughed at Mako's expression when he shot Ming-Hua with lightning like he was thinking the same exact thing you said. "Why couldn't I lightning bend sooner?"

As for Kuvira, she does seem suspicious. Her existence didn't bother me in the previous episodes until they gave her that special close up in the finale. Plus the fact that she wanted to come with Suyin in rescuing Korra and the air benders like she felt the need to prove herself. I have a feeling that she's going to play a larger role in Book 4, which will hopefully be utilized properly.
Flag
Seeing as the world doesn't want/need the Avatar (as suggested in all LOK so far)
Korra should end the cycle by reconnecting Raava with Vaatu and correct Wan's mistake. Thus ending the Franchise.
This would be a logical and good ending to the show in my opinion.
Flag
i dont think that will happen for one vaatu is gone im assuming 10 years more until his return
Flag
Reconnecting is quite unnecessary because as Raava already said Vaatu will reemerge within Raava in time. That why I believe Korra saw him as she was entering the Avatar state. But if the world does not need or want an avatar then why should Korra do anything she should live her life. I mean Juan just took it upon himself to be serve as someone who will provide balance because he felt that he was the one who put it in disarray. But that is not the case with Korra she doesn't really have any connection now with Juan, so she should just go somewhere where nobody knows her and live her life.
Of course that really does do anything for the story. You have the right thought though the logical conclusion is to avatar is, the end of avatar. But since they are just waiting for Vaatu to reemerge all Korra needs to do is split with Raava.
Flag
If Vaatu will reemerge in Raava and Raava is fused with Korra does this mean that Vaatu will reemerge in Korra? What a nice season would it be where Korra is part good part evil...
Flag
Jinora knew the posion was metallic because she saw the shiny poison in her Astral mode, and might have guessed it was mercury or something else metallic?

Flag
For the past three seasons they have made it seem that the world doesn't want an avatar, the last scene was really powerful seeing korra shed tears I honestly fear for her next season.
Flag
Well that wasn't really the case for the last scene right? The president was really fearful of the thought that Korra was out of commission. Meaning they o want her around they just don't want her getting in their way. Typical human.
Flag
Am I the only one that thinks the reason bolin can lavabend is because he has firebending genes as well? I mean yeah he isnt a firebender but he has the genes from his mother so I guess lavabenders are born from people that carry the fire and earth bending gene.
Flag
Actually before they showed that he can Lava bend I already commented that he should definitely learn that technique because it seems very suited for him. Just like you said. And what you said makes more sense to me that what most people say. That the possible explanation for turning earth to lava is molecular movement to create heat and melt the earth.
Flag
Overall, I thought this season was pretty good. It showed us previously impossible forms of bending, brought the characters back to their roots, and defined the roles everyone would play in the next season. That being said, this season featured a lot of hastened mistakes that didn't happen in previous seasons. I think that this season had the most lack of villain backstory and plotline explanation out of any of the other seasons. We already defeated the villains that we still barely know anything about. We still have no idea why the Earth Queen was recruiting airbenders as her "protection force". Personally, I was expecting the Earth Kingdom to become TLA's Fire Nation. The Earth Queen's talk of those good old territories she lost made me excited for an international war to commence. Not only did the writers completely toss out that possibility and leave the Earth Queen's plans untouched, they killed her so that we'd (possibly) never find out what her intentions were behind enslaving the airbenders to her service. I agree that they left spirits almost completely out of the season, and that disappointed me because that was probably the most dramatic change the LoK universe has gone through up until Book 3's finale. I hope that the spirits make a comeback in Book 4, and I also hope that the writers allow for more connection with the villains. Although some debate that Suyin is/isn't part of the Red Lotus, I'd like to speculate that we (as the viewers) most likely have no idea how deep the Order goes. They tied Unalaq, the truthseeker, and possibly everyone that hates the Avatar in the world to this secret order that wants to recreate society. I'm not saying that Suyin is or isn't part of it, I'm just trying to make everyone realize that Book 4 is probably going to show a new side to the world with almost everyone in kahoots with the Red Lotus's cause. Other than Iroh's random (and almost unnecessary) appearance, this season had the best cameos out of any of the other seasons. We've been waiting 2 seasons for a Beifong plotline, and Book 3 gave us a little snippet of what the writers may or may not dive into in the next Book. I thought this was a very interesting and innovative way to end this season and start the next, with Team Jinora replacing Korra and chaos ensuing globally.
More+
Flag
What do you mean? The queen was just being a selfish dictator. She only wanted her own airbending army because she wanted one. There was nothing deeper than that.
Flag
Dude, Aang was a 112 year old. His wisdom, due to his age and being an airbender by origins, surpasses Korra's. But this doesn't mean that Korra is being made to look inferior. She is only discovering through experience, what Aang discovered from his past lives. It is imperative that sometimes, it will lead to downfall. But downfalls are only meant to give courage for further upliftment and perseverence. I sorta think that this season was based on more bending than politics or spiritual concerns(those have been already addressed in earlier seasons). I also think that this season may be providing a pedestal for a grand season 4.
Flag
Aang may be 112 yearsold but he was in stasis for a hundred years so he actually has 12 years worth of experience. Though I will give it to you that he more spiritual than Korra so he can actually access his pass lives experience more easily. But same could be said for Korra for the first 2 seasons. She actually could enter the avatar state more freely that Aang which imbues her with the knowledge of her past self. But for the latest season that means squat because it just her now.
Flag
Just wondering if the big battle was near where Avatar Aang had is big battle with the Fire Lord? The landscape looked similar.
Flag
Different nations. That was in the Fire Kingdom, this one was in the Earth Kingdom.
Flag
No, Ozai went to the Earth Kingdom to destroy it in Airbender's finale. That's where he and Aang had their fight.
Flag
Yes, the original battle was near Ba Sing Sei. That was the whole point of the firelord going to burn it to the ground.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this battle take place in the air kingdom? Since they said it's only a few miles from the air temple. Sure, the caverns with the glowing rocks seem to indicate earth kingdom, but I'd say it's at least closer to air nation territory than the center near the capital.
Flag
Ozai traveled to the edge of the earth kingdom closest to the fire nation. he had no reason to go to ba sing sei it was already under fire nation control.

both fights probably happened in the hunk of land south of the northern water territory really close to the northern air temple where the air benders were

Flag
I don't think so. That seems like a mountain while the firelord site seems like a desert.
Flag
Anti climactic! Writers stole Korra's limelight again and I didn't see the point in showing the Avatar crying in a wheelchair (making her look weak)
Writers have deliberately made a 17 year old girl inferior to Aang who was only 11.

Writer's have taken too much from Korra e.g. her bending in b1 and her past lives in b2 and now her limelight! In fact she didn't defeat Zahir...Jinora again stole the glory and appeared 'Aang like' with her tatoos? While Korra sat crying for me it was like LOA nostalgia.
I'm really not impressed with the book 3 finale and it's a stupid idea to base book 4 on chaos.
Vaatu was defeated for another 10, 000 years so what is the point??
It seems like a Lazy/easy plot for the writers.
I'm disappointed.
Flag
I thought Korra was crying out of pride and sentiment. Her Mmentor and all the people she was willing to sacrifice pretty much said "Itis time to helpt he avatar and be there for her and live in her example." I mean sh*t I would of cried too.
Flag
I disagree 100%. The season 3 finale was the first time where I felt the Legend of Korra approached the Last Airbender. Korra is a much stronger Avatar than Aang because she is being forced to the core of being the Avatar; a symbol of hope.

In the first series the finale was for children "Killing is wrong" and for adults I felt "energy bending" was a way out for Aang; satisfying for children but in the real world it doesn't work like that.

In the second series, the first season was the logical corollary of how dangerous using a deus ex machina solution like energy bending could be for the world. In that series the Avatar state and the past lives were used to "reset" the world. The second season then depowered the Avatar state by removing the past lives.

In the third season, we see the effects. Korra had to use the Avatar state herself; she was considerably less imaginative in techniques than she was previously or when Aaang used it. And when Zahir defeated her, we finally start to see that the Avatar's real power is as a symbol; she is Jinora and the other's inspiration not their god-like solution.
More +
Flag
There are some points that I agree.. like how Korra seems to be inferior and not up to the Avatar standards as Aang.. but she was overprotected from the start and no one really allow her to do anything on her own.. So she was kind of desperate to prove herself and show that she can do it.. As oppose to Aang.. the whole fire nation and some desperate parts of the Earth Kingdom were hunting him down.. So basically, Aang was on his own with help from Katara and Sokka... who were barely older than him... So 3 children were on the run.. Therefore, Aang does have more experience and had embrace the roles of an Avatar sooner.. With his background living with the air nomads.. He honours and upholds the traditions making him wiser..

Book 4 titled chaos was perfect... now that Vaatu was defeated, but Unalaq status was unclear... because when Vaatu and Unalaq merge, it is Vaatu that controls the body, not Unalaq.. Unlike Korra and Raava, Korra was always herself and Raava treated Korra's body like a vessel.. So chaos is kind of still there.. Besides, the way Korra lashed out when she was poison really reminded me of Fire Lord Ozai...

I am intrigue with the story and the change.. Book 2 was sad but Book 3 turns out fine.. a bit rush but fine...
More +
Flag
The more they take away from her, the more powerful she gets. The more you suffer the more you learn and the stronger you go. I like how she was so broken and even more so before. I have a feeling she is going to be one of a kind Avatar. Not every Avatar is going to shine straight away. SHE WAS FREAKING METALICALLY POISONED. Ofcourse she was going to be weak after. Ang would of have suffered like that as well.
Flag
Boy, every Combustionbender in this universe goes with a boom (pun intended).
About Korra, yes she was indeed annoying in the first book with her "I am capable of anything and everything" attitude but since then she is more modest, so I honestly don't get the current antipathy. Especially now, since she seems like she won't be able even to walk on her own for a long time, I think she will have time to 'wisen up(?)'. I think this could be a great opportunity to bring some TLA characters back for more screentime.
Flag
I agree. I watched the first episode and then didnt touch the series until halfway through the second season, when I went back and watched everything and caught up. Korra has grown a lot since the beginning. I hated her with a passion but the voice actoer and the character maturing has made me change my mind.
Flag
Well that was a pretty strong finale, the animation was certainly great. I just get a little disappointed that each move that Zaheer made made him less interesting, intelligent and complex and more annoying villain. I really thought he was going to have a more interesting purpose for Korra than ending the Avatar cycle.

I think all seasons of Korra were high standard but clearly season 1 was well ahead of the other two. I'm not sure which I prefer out of seasons 2 and 3. 2 had all kinds of plotting issues but was strong thematically and I enjoyed the finale. Season 3 has been tighter but really had very little to say. The changes from integrating the spirit world seemed so interesting at the beginning but evidently the writers saw them as nothing more than a means to get Korra out of Republic City and on bad terms with its leader. After that spirits were phased out of the show pretty quickly and those root thingies apparently only affected Republic City. So we got lots of interesting stuff about rebuilding the air nation and new types of bending but we had an antagonist who rose to power through chance and bending abilities far stronger than any other person for no real reason and whose philosophy stunk to say the least. I'd say it's a tie between the two seasons.
More+
Flag
I haven't seen the the finale yet but the idea that Nick had scheduling issues for this show is kinda ridiculous(on their part). What show on Nick do people watch? I would think this show would be the most popular considering they've ended most of their big name shows.
Flag
I thought the block of episodes was a great way to end the season. I liked the ending to the season and thought it was built to well. During the Zaheer/Korra fight all korra did was rage and used the powers of the Avatar state to destroy and she failed because she gave in to the rage and the power she almost dies taking the avatar with her just as Zaheer wanted. So her ego is crushed at the end and on top of that she breaks her legs, possible her back. Then Tenzin trying to help give her rest by making the refounded air nation be an instrument of the Avatar in her memory to help alleviate the worlds problems something Korra herself hasn't been able to do,very successfully. I see crying because Tenzins is giving up the refounding of his culture and replacing her at the same time by making the air nation the mediator of problems. All Korra wants is to be the Avatar, some of the White Lotas and the leaders haven't allowed her to be now Tenzin is replacing her to help her because of this she thinks she failed in her duty as the Avatar. That is one of the reasons the ending is powerful it allows for everyone else to fill you in on Korras condition while only allowing the animation play out her emotional state, Korra barely speaks in the ending everyone else dose for her just as Korra thinks everyone pays for her not being a better avatar. I hope season 4 is all about Korras growth and allowing her to express her self as the Avatar, and tackleing the proplem that seems to present itself every season so far is the Avatar just a relic of the past or a force of the future
More+
Flag
I'm not sure what show you watched.
Flag
I reckon Korra has suffered way more than mose Avatar's (just assuming) so I hope to see that through her suffering she becomes one of the most powerful Avatar.
Flag
Uhhm Excuse me, but did I hear right? Is the suffering of a 112 year old boy, who wakes up from an iceberg still under the impression that he is 12 years old, but later finding that a war had broken out while he was out which had wiped out his whole community and family, who lost his best buddy bison midway the show and was tormented to wack, who fails to protect the only earth nation stronghold, Ba Sing Se from the clutches of the fire nation and holds himself the only one responsible, and only wakes up from his deep sleep to find out that he has been declared dead, and then who was forced to carry out his duties as Avatar(which he didn't want to become) by killing the war perpetrators(firelord Ozai) even if it meant to go against the principles of his extinct culture, his principles being their only memory besides the air temples, less than the suffering of a girl who has been told that she is the Avatar before 16 years of age( which in fact was to her pleasure), who didn't have to search for bending masters, the master being provided to her on a silver platter(Tenzin), who had lost her bending by the end of book 1 only to find it again with the help of previous Avatars, who finds out that his uncle is planning to unlock Vaatu, the spirit of chaos and evil and then defeats him after a short stroke of amnesia, who discovers that a bunch of lunatics want to kill her by poisoning to create chaos out of order, but fails to stop them by HERSELF and suffers the first setback in her life...?
More +
Flag
I don't know if anyone else saw this (I may just be crazy), but when Jinora was getting anointed and when the hood was taken off, didn't she take at least the slightest bit resemblance to Aang as a kid?

This might just be deliberate because she's his descendant or she's similarly meant to carry the goals he had such as protecting the world.
Flag
Can't be coincidental. She is Aang's grand-daughter, after all.
Flag
I think they took this season in a much better direction compared to season 2, and I think they will take another step in the right direction for season 4.

With that being said, there is a serious possibility they will/can kill of Tenzin in season 4. Jinora is now a master, and can carry on the airbending culture. Aang was the same age when he left the air temple and then the fire nation wiped them out, but he still passed on what he learned to Tenzin.
Flag
as for how ginora knew the poison was metallic (not metal but metallic) she saw it when she was in her spirit mode, i assume she saw that it looked metallic and this can be metal bended, based on what it is best guess is that the poison used mercury

my guess on why mako doesnt lightning bend is that for one i think its an inconvenient way to fight, Makos fighting style is hit and run tactic from his pro-bending days and lightning bending just takes too much time too charge up, which comes my question, how in heavens name did he fire a lightning bolt that quickly

i dont think Su is a red lotus member for one shes a world leader i think she was a target for the red lotus though

my final question is this, How did they know that if you kill an avatar in the avatar state that you stop the avatar cycle thus permanently killing the avatar?? its not like they could test it out,
Flag
Hey, nice thoughts.

To answer your question, though, it was stated in The Last Airbender that if you kill the avatar in the avatar state, the cycle is permanently stopped. It's easy for such information to spread over time (I mean, come on, it's been almost a century since the first series' events).
Flag
i meant how the people of the avatar world acquire that knowledge, did a spirit tell them, did a previous avatar tell them?? does it actually work, its not like they can test it (coz the avatar is still alive). I Just dont see a way that people of the Avatar universe know about killing an avatar.

my best guess is that a past avatar or avatars friends told a lie so that people would try to kill the avatar when the avatar is at its strongest
Flag
I don't know. That's quite a mystery, but it's probable that the more philosophical and wiser people theorized that idea.

Think about it: the Avatar state is supposed to be the ultra defense system of the Avatar; he/she has the power and wisdom (and voices) of all previous Avatars with them. So it's like all the Avatars are there at once. It's only logical for those wise people to think that if you wipe out the Avatar when he/she is at their strongest connection to their past lives, they will die along with those past lives. Since the Avatar is constantly supposed to be reincarnated, the act of losing that reincarnation cycle is thus displayed by killing every Avatar that has existed.

Flag
yeah but if you consider it korra already lost her connection to the past avatars plus now that the origin of the avatar has been shown it would be safe to assume that its not her past lives exp powering the avatar state but Rava, with that killing korra even on the avatar state wont kill the avatar cycle.

But if you consider things i think the fire nation was the one with the right idea on how to kill an avatar, remove one of the nations (in this case the air nation) and the cycle will be cut, though they have to wait 3 more generations but if they kill the avatar quick enough this plan might have worked
Flag
She knew the poison was metal based because she has eyes. I mean it wasn't clear to us when it happened (I thought it was just a really dark and really thick liquid) because of the lighting in the cave but when Su pulled it out of her it was obvious that it was either supposed to look like mercury or it was in fact just raw mercury. You have to remember that characters in animations aren't seeing things in animated form, fur isn't just a blanket of one color and hair's not just a weird spiky thing that comes form the top of people's heads, they see things in much more detail.
Flag
As far as the poison was concerned, it looked like liquid metal so it was a pretty good assumption that it was metal based.

The fight between Zaheer and Korra was visually amazing.

I was in no way disappointed until the end of the episode. Which sucked, I was left thinking "That was it?"

to majd333: I am betting Korra seems really depressed because as a Avatar she has been failing pretty badly and the world has fallen into complete disarray.

With spirits running around I really hope we can get a return of Aang and have him show up to set her straight. Kind of like how Tenzin's experience at the end of Book 2 set him straight. Vision Aang's line of "You will never be me, and you shouldn't. Be yourself." ((I know that is not the direct line but the jist is their.)) He needs to do that for Korra.

All in all the only other thing that bugs the hell out of me is Mako and Asami. I am a sucker for the loves tory stuff and want some answers as to where they are at &:) always liked them more the Korra/Mako.

Lastly to Noel: Thanks for the Reveiws and opinions. I enjoyed all of the reveiws for Korra this season. Hopefully Nick wont try to kill Season 4 like it did 3 -_-
More+
Flag
I have a feeling mako and korra will end up together ...remember katara and aang had some ups and downs and boom they ended up together ...or if not , korra may actually be killed off in season 4...we just dont know it yet ahah
Flag
I really hope they dont end up together. -_-
Flag
Aren't all poisons metal based? All poisons contain base or 7th column elements, no?
Flag
Metals aren't 7the column elements.
Flag
No. Not in the slightest. Cyanide is simply carbon and nitrogen. No metals. For that matter most organic solvents are combinations of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen. Most of them are poisonous as well.
Flag
Why don't they go to the North Pole and get the spiritual water that was used to help heal Avatar Aang after he was struck by lighting? They could use that to get Korra out of the wheelchair
Flag
But the creators don't want her to heal yet. They wanted her broken and beat for now.
Flag
Wow amazing episodes and the entire time i was saying please don't kill Tenzin for some reason a comment on the internet made me think that he's gonna die.
but i wonder what's up with Korra she seems very depressed.
Flag
Hmmm, let me see. She nearly dies, gets tortured by the poison while suspended in the air by chain, see villainous figures before she goes into avatar state and dies, falls a long way down and possibly broken alot of shit, bound in wheel chair for a long time, poison by metalic substance that took alot of toll on her mind, body and soul, thinking a father was dead before etc.
Flag
LOL that's a good point, but what i mean is it looked to be more than all of that and i think it'll play into season 4.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members