A The Legend of Korra Community
Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

The Legend of Korra S03E04 and S03E05: "In Harm's Way" and "The Metal Clan"

A big scheduling note to get things started: Nickelodeon is going to air Book 3 at the pace of two episodes per week, with no more interruptions scheduled... which means that come August 8, we're all done. It also means twice as much Korra each week, and given the quality of the first five episodes, I have no complains about that. While I don't think Nickelodeon is trying to burn through the season in the same way that broadcast networks use the summer to burn off episodes of shows they yanked in the fall/spring but are contractually obligated air, it does seem like Nick is rushing through Book 3 as a means of damage control for the leaked episodes while also trying to avoid any more issues with its schedule come the fall. I mean, I'm sure there'll be answers at Comic-Con (maybe), but by then we'll be on Episodes 8 and 9, and will it really matter at that point?

In any case, I'm going to stick to the format I used in my review of the season's first three episodes, which means some bigger-picture thoughts on the story and season so far, followed by shorter reviews of each new episode. So here we go!

The big thing to pick up from our discussion of the premiere is that Legend of Korra Book 3 is operating pretty firmly in an Avatar: The Last Airbender territory. Portentous talk of bender oppression and the divide between the spiritual and the secular/physical is completely absent. The show even ignored the potentially sticky point that Korra and Tenzin's attempts to recruit Air Nomads was only a few goofily executed steps removed from what the Earth Queen was doing by abducting Airbenders in Ba Sing Se. I thought Bumi was going to mention it, but he only chimed in that the Earth Queen was actually within her legal rights to conscript Airbenders, even if she was using her secret police force to do it.

Instead, these two episodes were action- and adventure-focused in the case of "In Harm's Way," and then character-focused in "The Metal Clan." I don't mean to suggest that Korra hasn't done this sort of thing before—a pair of episodes from Book 1, "The Spirit of Competition" (character stuff) and "And the Winner Is..." (huge action stuff), comes to mind—but the backdrop for earlier episodes was drastically different than the backdrop for these episodes. Sure, TLA had a war going on, but the show was willing and happy to let that focus drift sometimes with episodes like "The Fortuneteller" and "The Cave of Two Lovers."

Book 3 of Korra features a significantly more optimistic big plot than anything that Korra or TLA has done before—new airbenders!—and the only real danger is a quartet of super-powerful bending criminals with a mysterious agenda regarding Korra. Of course, there's the new matter of a bellicose Earth Queen, but I suspect that will simmer in the background for a bit, should it resurface at all. I'm not trying to diminish Book 3 in any way, as the execution so far has been spot-on, but rather to highlight the general levity that Korra wasn't so prone to in Books 1 and 2. Book 3 is just more... fun.

"In Harm's Way"

There was nothing particularly notable about "In Harm's Way." It was a well-done episode, if a touch rushed—"Hey guys! Passports to the upper ring!" Annnnd scene—and it continued the stroll down memory lane in Ba Sing Se. We visited Lake Laogai and its now-flooded secret bunker, rescued a team member from another Dai Li secret bunker, and then fought our way out of the city as rocks were thrown at us. I enjoyed the brief hallway fight with the Dai Li and Jinora, Kai, Mako, and Bolin, even if it did result in Jinora getting grabbed and needing to be saved (bah to that). On the whole, it was a flat, if consistent episode.

The one flag is that all the freed airbenders were more than happy to head up to the Northern Air Temple with Tenzin, and with nary a complaint from the lot about leaving behind their families or responsibilities. Sure, they're grateful to get away from the Earth Queen and the Dai Li, but this grateful? I look forward to mumblings from the new recruits once we visit them up north. It would certainly be intriguing, especially given @RaizenYusuke's take on Tenzin's attempt to restore the Air Nomads, but I'm not entirely sure how interested this less serious Korra may be in exploring the idea of a culture having to get with the times, at least in any meaningful way.

At P'Li's icy prison, the combined mights of Tonraq, Desna, Eska, Zuko, and Zuko's dragon were no match for the bending super-criminals, and they managed to free P'Li (Kristy Wu) without any real trouble. Thanks to Lin's arrival in Ba Sing Se, Korra has been informed that these criminals are after her, but she's not really all that concerned (never change, Korra!). The big news is that these four went after Korra shortly after she was identified as the Avatar, but no one knows why. Their attempt to snag Korra is what resulted in Korra being trained in isolation, and under the care of the White Lotus, which is actually kind of interesting, but it'll be more interesting once we find out what Zaheer and his gang's plan is.

"The Metal Clan"

My love for Lin Beifong, shockingly, did not take a hit in "The Metal Clan," and it probably should have. Lin's abrasiveness was cranked up to eleven as she and the rest of Team Avatar arrived in Zaofu, a city populated mostly by metalbenders and founded by Lin's estranged-for-many-decades half-sister, Su (Anne Heche). So even while Lin was being incredibly rude and cruel not only to Su, but to Opal (Alyson Stoner), I appreciated the fact that Korra is developing Lin and digging around the root of what makes Lin Lin. That the series is using the same approach it employed to develop Tenzin during Book 2 by putting him in conflict with Kaya and Bumi shows that even during the concurrent production processes of Books 2, 3, and 4, the producers and writers zeroed in on an excellent way to ensure that Korra's adult characters aren't neglected in favor of their younger counterparts, and in a way that serves to fill some narrative gaps that fans might be interested in.

And speaking of developing the younger counterparts, when did Bolin become the show's MVP? After Book 2's really ridiculous Bolin stuff, I thought for sure that Korra had lost track of Bolin's voice, but he's back in a very big way so far, and "The Metal Clan" really emphasized that. From his excitement at potentially meeting Toph to his critiques of metalbended art, Bolin's finding a nice groove, as is the animation for him—which is super-expressive, as befits the show's most outgoing character. His flirtations with Opal reminded me a lot of his earlier attempts with Korra, but both Opal and the show seem to have realized that letting Bolin be Bolin (and not a complete idiot) is the best way to go.

Su's city had that utopian, "everything's way too good here, the people are all very talented, and there are no secrets" vibe that had me waiting for a very heavy shoe to drop, but that shoe never fell. It's literally a shining city upon a... well, valley. I dug the Art Deco aesthetics that still allowed room for nature; the city's zones close up like flowers at night, likely making them impossible to lay siege against. I'm still sort of waiting for the shoe as I'm naturally suspicious of such cities, but we'll see how things develop.

And just to give the episode an action sequence, Zaheer infiltrated Airbender Island at Republic City in an effort to join up with the Air Nomads and gain access to Korra. While I enjoyed his battle with Kaya (air and water isn't a match-up we've seen much of), I'm just fascinated by Zaheer right now. He's apparently well-studied in Air Nomad culture, and while they're labeled criminals by everyone else, the group's reasons for wanting to abduct Korra when she was a child remain a mystery to both us and the other characters.

LEAVES ON THE WIND

– This is one of those complaints that makes me sound super-spoiled, but I have to tell you all that really miss Joaquim Dos Santos's directing. These episodes certainly weren't poorly directed, it's just that Dos Santos's particular aesthetic is so good that most anything else pales in comparison. 

– The White Lotus members are a bunch of friggin' wimps who wouldn't've been able to protect Korra at all if those four criminals had not been in their respective prisons. Seriously. They're useless. 

– "I thought I would never see you again." "I never doubted." [P'Li and Zaheer kiss] "Really? Right now?" Glad to know even the criminals have themselves a snarker in Ghazan.

– Korra's descriptions of the Earth Queen include "queen-y smirk" and "Miss Queen-y Smugface."

– Toph, a blind, badass warrior, is wandering the planet in search of enlightenment. 'Nuff said.

– Theories on who the fathers of Lin and Su are? Anyone we know?

– Pea tendrils sound delicious.

– I made a very loud noise of disgust upon Varrick's arrival and the realization that seemingly everyone but Beifong was fairly cool with the fact that he wasn't in prison. War profiteering? No big deal! Attempting to kidnap the president of Republic City? Who cares?! That's just crazy Varrick for you! Yuck.

– I'm sort of scratching my head at the skill disparities between some of the new airbenders. Some seem like naturals, with very little in the way of training, and others not so much. Unless the Dai Li are just very good at training airbenders?

What did you think of "In Harm's Way" and "The Metal Clan"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/19/2014

Season 3 : Episode 13

52 Comments
Comments (52)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
the episode list is still showing season two...fix?
Flag
* First off, what Korra and Co. were doing with the airbenders is pretty much trying to convince them and/or pleading with them to become air nomads. The airbenders very much had a choice. The Earth Queen was forcing the airbenders within Ba Sing Se to become her personal army.

- Bumi's point about the Earth Queen having the right to conscript her citizens is a good point.

* These two episodes again make points about how maybe still having monarchs isn't quite such a good thing. Although, these points being made by the children of very wealthy people who pretty much live in their own mini kingdoms is more like industrialists versus the royalty. Asami is perhaps the wealthiest person in the world and certainly one of the most powerful. One of Toph Beifong's children created her own city and pretty much seems to rule it as a monarch.

* I have no problem with Jinora needing to be saved. She's not a god. I actually like that Avatar Aang and Katara's children don't actually seem to be the most powerful benders in the world.

* My main complaint about Season 3 is that Korra seems to be much too dismissive of her enemies. The President of Republic City -- and the people of Republic City -- doesn't like her. Republic City has a huge military. 4 powerful benders are after her. She's very dismissive of that. She just committed an act of war against the largest nation in the world and whose Queen now hates her. She doesn't much care.

- It's something like if Aang and Co. were never concerned about Zuko and never concerned about Azula, Tai Li, and Mai.
More+
Flag
Great recap. The only thing that I will point out is that not all of the rescued airbenders chose to stay with Korra and Tenzin. If you look carefully, there are a few that split off to the other airship (Lin's, I believe) to be brought home. Also, they might be leaving their families behind, but since the Earth Queen and the Dai Li know who they are, it's not like a lot of them have a choice since they'd be immediately caught and possibly punished if they returned to Ba Sing Se.
Flag
The White Lotus in The Last Airbender were awesome but in LOK they are just terrible
Flag
True, but otoh, they were masters with years of experience in TLA. Here they are probably just soldiers guarding villains that were locked up. If they knew there'd be a team up, better skilled guards would've been there. Even Zuko and his dragon, the twins and korra's dad couldn't stop them.
Flag
Anyone else wonders,if P'Li is Zuko's daughter or somehow related to him?
Flag
im assuming lin had a family and lost it somehow and that her sister isn t as good as she seems. i mean when she was telling her daughter not go to the air temple i got a strange feeling about her
Flag
I thought something strange was up,when Varrick showed up. So they must be in some shady business.
Flag
Why do I have a feeling that Toph will come back?
Flag
With Zuko seemingly in good shape for his age, maybe we could get Toph and Katara mixed in a team helping the younger kids against this new team of criminals?
Flag
Probably,because she is alive and they mentioned her....
Flag
I thought the creators originally said that everyone was dead from the main group, or at least I could have sworn they said something along those lines. So far the only people that are confirmed at dead are Aang and Sokka.

Am I going to be the only person who would get mad if Toph comes back from the dead?
Flag
Direct quote from Katara: "My brother and many of my friends are gone." I'm pretty sure they did that intentionally so they had the freedom of saying "This person's dead" or "This one is still alive somewhere" depending on the needs of the story. I'm actually really happy that Toph is alive since her fate after the original series was the one that has been mostly left up in the air. Especially now that we know she slept around... :P
Flag
I guess I took that to meaning dead, though I am going to look at past Comic Cons to see what they said on that regerd.
Flag
Hahahaha...omg,it happens to me everytime...I keep forgeting Sokka was Katara's brother. Ok,now confusion is gone.
Flag
I forgot...did Sokka die on LoK ? In season 1? Or she still lives?
Flag
She? Since has when has Sokka been a she? Are you referring to Toph?
Flag
I know there are quite a few who liked Books 1 and 2. Not trying to start a flame war or anything, but truthfully, I didn't. And I can barely remember any but a few details from them. They did not leave any sort of memorable impression with me.

I don't know if the big picture changed or not between Books 1 & 2 and now 3, but it seems like they shifted gears. Book 3 is turning out to be the true successor to ATLA... so far.

And ironically enough, I partly believe it's because they finally distanced themselves from Aang and the gang. With Korra being disconnected from the past Avatars, she can finally be her own person as I think the showrunners originally intended her to be.

As a huge ATLA fan, I'm always interested in details about the original Team Avatar and where they are now (great to know Toff, Zuko, and Katara are all still alive and doing their own thing). It was great seeing those flashbacks of adult Team Avatar 1.0 in Book 1. And as much as I enjoyed seeing old faces (some literally old), they always felt a bit out of place. While I would love to have more episodes on them, I don't know that their stories belong in the LoK series. I've always had a hard time liking Korra the character or series, but I'm really starting to warm up to her and the other characters now.

I like that they've tied Korra's protective isolation while growing up to this season's new villains (who are still fascinating- even though we know so little about them). I thought that was a well-used reference to what had up to this point been a pointless detail.

I do truly wish this had been the Legend of Korra's Book 1: Air. No disrespect to those who liked Book 1 & 2 as they are, but with the exception of a few minor characters they introduced and few background details that could've been summed up in 6 episodes (instead of 26), the first 2 books seem almost inconsequential and out of place compared to Book 3... so far.

Again, I want to be cautious. Cautiously optimistic. These first 5 episodes have been so good! I hope the rest of the season keeps up this quality!
More+
Flag
LoK 1 was a really good start to the series for many. To be honest, ATLA had a lot of "kid humor". Until you watched a few episodes you don't really see there's a deeper story. I avoided it for years. Then a small group of us binged most of it recently and we were all "OMG!!" (Well, except one who was smugly expressing "I told you so.")

LoK 2 was kind of painful, but it did have its good points, and a lot of it leads in to season 3. Bumi is a little annoying at first, but not nearly as much as Korra was frustrating throughout (imho). If they retitled season 2 to "The Legend of Jinora" maybe more would be happy.
Flag
Happy to see that Korra is much improved this season, I mean I'm not ready or confident enough to say this season is as good as atla books, but I'm not cringing or hating anything this season, so that is an improvement.I don't have much to say other than I'm loving everything this season, but I do want to say I'm glad that the villains this season are interesting on their own, I mean lets be honest Unalaq was a complete disappointment as a villain, and I could have lived without him altogether since Vaatu was better as a villain on his own. On the other hand Zaheer is already fascinating and we really don't know much about him at this point, but he seems multi-dimensional enough right that I'm excited to spend a season with him. I hope Lok can keep this up, because it has been a long time since I have looked forward to new Korra every Friday.
Flag
Yeah i was disappointed with season2 where unalaq just merged with vatuu and that was it. If they had a line hinting at vatuu betraying him for promising to unite the spirits with the human world, unalaq could've been a misguided tragic villain, but nope, just another take over the world type. Season 1 had better plot, but sacrificed character development. season2, character development was better, but the storyline kept jumping around and had 2 storylines going, but it all fell short in their own way. so far season 3 seems to be echoing TLA and I'm pretty satisfied for the moment.
Flag
Spot on! My feelings exactly. I'm not ready to declare it a classic yet, but so far I'm pretty excited at the prospect of this book/season. And we're already 5 episodes in! I'm sooo glad they're doubling up on episodes this time. Twenty minutes a week was just too short to engage such a huge universe in such a tiny timeframe. It's probably one of the reasons (among others) I was never able to feel any of the characters... until now. I'm actually excited when I'm watching and satisfied when it ends. It actually leaves me wanting more. This is the first LoK book I've felt this way with. Very excited about what's to come!
Flag
I agree, I think one hour segments really compliment Korra's serial format better than 30 minutes ever did. Last season it certainly hurt the show since every episode was hit or miss, so when it was bad the show left a really bad taste in my mouth that lasted throughout the week. While given how good the season has been thus far I'm sad that it will be over sooner, but happy because an hour of Korra leaves me much more fulfilled than the 30 minutes of seasons 1 and 2.
Flag
Good to see they sort of addressed Jinora's astral projection thingy.
Flag
Staff
"Sort of" is the operative phrase there. ;)
Flag
1. Opal is so adorable :)
2. Lin - I love you girl, but you have to get your sh!t together. You made Opal cry which is NOT COOL.
3. I really like Su - and not only cause she's voiced by Anne Heche.
4. I loved the fight between Kya and Zaheer.
4. So what are Zaheer plans? Why does he want to capture Korra?

Thanks for review, Noel.
Flag
This is the show Korra should've been from the start! These episodes had just the right amount of throwbacks to Airbender, put in original things like the metal city (dat background art though) and had some sweet fights.

I'm probably never gonna get over how Bolin is just a Sokka clone, but at least he's a good one this season - I quite agree with you on him, Noel.
Really excited for this season which is something I've never been before with Korra.
Flag
There are certainly similarities between Bolin and Sokka, but plenty of differences too, most prominently Bolin is an Earthbender

Also Bolin doesn't the leadership skills, or the bravery of Sokka.
Flag
The White Lotus members are a bunch of friggin' wimps who wouldn't've been able to protect Korra at all if those four criminals had not been in their respective prisons. Seriously. They're useless.

I agree with this.. I was so used to them being a secret society with great skills and qualities.. and they have members who r grandmasters of their art. Like Jeong Jeong.. his fire bending skills are so different, gentle yet powerful, and they have Bumi, he is the greatest earthbender for at least a 100 years, master Pakku.. his water bending skills are one of the kind and the best in his tribe.. Master Piandao, swords master and maker, Monk Gyatso, the best airbender i assume.. and last but not least, the Dragon of the West... by far the greatest firebender..

It was so obvious the members of the order of the white lotus are made of ppl with great skills as well as great manners... The guard who guarded Zaheer was so cocky.. and their bendings are useless..

– Theories on who the fathers of Lin and Su are? Anyone we know?

I think Toph's husbands are The Duke/ maybe Haru? and Satoru perhaps from the Rift??

– I made a very loud noise of disgust upon Varrick's arrival and the realization that seemingly everyone but Beifong was fairly cool with the fact that he wasn't in prison. War profiteering? No big deal! Attempting to kidnap the president of Republic City? Who cares?! That's just crazy Varrick for you! Yuck.

I was happy that Varrick was here.. I never hate Varrick.. he is the type of antagonist that worth seeing again.. because he wasn't evil.. He was just selfish!!

– I'm sort of scratching my head at the skill disparities between some of the new airbenders. Some seem like naturals, with very little in the way of training, and others not so much. Unless the Dai Li are just very good at training airbenders?

I wasn't surprise.. they will definitely be some that are natural.. but Zaheer was just too good to be true.. it was like he is an airbender by default...
More+
Flag
Well there were what? 80+ years? They could have gotten soft.

It's not surprising when you think about it, part of the white lotus society was dedicated to the world peace and helping the avatar in his journey - whenever that day would come.

Once Ang and Zuko ended the war, their purpose was no more.
Also, I think it's not far fetched for Zuko and Ang to support the white lotus (with money) meaning their numbers grow and anytime an organization switches from a small elite force to large armies it gets softer.
Flag
True, an elite team works better than a clumsy army
Flag
What we saw of the lotus is only the foot soldier.. the weak one, none of them were master, that to be expected ,
Flag
But to be careless and cocky, doesn't seem like a white lotus member would do..
Flag
About the ultimate question of "who is the dad?"; Su said she collects rare meteorites. Do we know who else showed interest in meteorites back in the day?? Yes we do.
About Lin, I sadly have no clue whatsoever.
Flag
I was kinda sad,how easily Esna & Deska were defeated. They were fighting in their homeland,they are twins and know each other really well to the point,where they fight as one. Only was I'd be ok,when they lost,if Zaheer or Ghazan chimed in. Ok I know story goes,that these 4 can take down anyone,etc.

Flag
It's not more absurd then a bunch of newly trained air benders who know nothing about air bending take down the elite force of the earth queen...

Flag
No,because just by nature of everything...if they are elite and nameless,they will lose to pretty much anyone. And your sentence is contradicting"....bunch of newly TRAINED air bender WHO KNOW NOTHING ABOUT AIR BENDING...."
Even White Lotus people get owned too easy. But if you have characters with name,those are usually the one,that can actually do something.
Flag
I meant "barely" know anything about air bending...

And yes, I'm well aware of the grunt vs named character issue
But just because it's a holywood trope doesn't mean it makes any sense.

Flag
Well, I suppose you can claim that bending requires the use of one's arms. That is how master Paku defeated Katara on the original show.

Only very few benders didn't require the use of their limbs such as the combustion man. Heck, when Boomi did it solely with his head, Ang was in total shock.
Flag
Also...they were fighting water bender...couldn't they "break out" of that ice block? They are water benders,so by nature,they should be able to bend that shit.
Flag
Well, it was okay couple of episodes. But frankly, the main plot doesn't seem all that interesting. It's sort of seems like they took a lot of criticism for deviating from the source material that most of this season is all about cameos and references to the original show.

It's not bad on its own, but it just feels too much too fast.

Also am I the only one that's bothered by the fact that each episode opens with a sort news report and yet nobody bothered using such news casting to spread the word that air benders are encouraged to join up?

It's like the entire point of season 1 in showing how technology improved means nothing. Neither Zafou nor Ba Sing Se had any technology at all. Wasn't a major point of season 1 that technology has developed so much that benders are less needed in this world?

Again, it's because the show is trying to be more like the original show but its ignoring itself now.

The real interest in this season are super bender gang but it's going too slow for me. Also, I'm hoping for a serious explanation on how a person with no bending skills who was in prison most of the past decade with no teachers become such a powerful bender in an instant. They say he studied the air nomads which is a start but not enough.

I know it isn't likely to happen, but frankly I'm hoping by the end of the season, Korra will team up with the season 1 villain and ask him to take their bending away.
More+
Flag
Sorry, but both of the season 1 villains are dead. Tarlok sacrificed his own life to kill Amon. I don't think he survived that explosion at the end of the season finale.
Flag
What are you talking about? The ending of season 1 clearly shows both of them on a raft far away...
Flag
On a raft far away...Then Tarrlock blows up the fuel tank using an electric glove
Flag
But this is Hollywood... No bodies means nothing.

Heck, even in the original show, they later said (in the theatre episode) that Jet may or may not have been killed it wasn't sure...
Flag
She looks like one of the Hindu trinity - Shiva, with the red third eye.
Flag
Toph's grandkids are pretty unimpressive so far, there are the twins and the oldest who that seem fine so far, but Opal's a wimp and Toph would be disgusted by the Skrillex haired "artistic" douche that is her grandson.
Flag
TOPH IS ALIVE! I knew it! Very excited for her inevitable cameo. I wish Katara was around more. I loved seeing Zuko be badass still and I wish she'd joined in. She seems to be absent a lot- for the backstory too. She wasn't there for the whole Yukon stuff, and apparently didn't help with catching Zaheer and the others, which seems unlikely... I love that Toph has another daughter- HER LEGACY LIVES ON! Wonder what's going on with Lin though? Intense emotions abound! "A badger who knows morse code" remains my favourite line. I love Bumi.
Flag
To me Lin seems upset that Suyin was the troublesome sister that did everything wrong and Lin worked hard to be disciplined and dependable. Yet Suyin got to marry the love of her life, have a family, live a meaningful stress-free life of luxury and happiness. Lin doing everything she thought was dutiful and right lost the guy she loved (Tenzin), is always miserable, and is dealing with crisis after crisis.
Or the writers could just throw some other event in. We'll see.
Flag
Personally I love Zaofu, the art deco is great but the undeniable current of Ayn Rand is so prevalent. Toph statue was Atlas I don't care what you say, the whole 'showed the world how benders can excel' and everyone is encouraged to fulfill their potential. Even the little stuff like the chef being a pirate, governments are unnecessary or archaic, nobody caring who Varrick hurt because he's a 'business man', the husband being a rail engineer it all harkens back to Atlas Shrugged and Rearden.
Flag
I loved the contrast in theses two episodes between Ba Sing Se and Zaofu. One is an ancient totalitarian city based on tradition and everyone in their place, the other is home to free thought, expression and a desire of all citizens to reach their potential. I also love how the light plays a role in the natural dark atmosphere of the lower ring while the lotus petals of Zaofu work to fight the natural darkness of the valley setting.

The other great contrast is in Toph's daughters. One became chief of police in a pretty cool city. The other founded my new favorite location in the show. Su is just an awesome character. She lived with pirates, worked at the same circus as Tai Li, and lived in the desert with sandbenders, then founded a city of intellectuals. What a sweet biography.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members