A The Legend of Korra Community
Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

The Legend of Korra S02E10: "A New Spiritual Age"

Whereas "Beginnings" was good on any number of levels, it was also a much-needed morale boost after the slog of episodes that preceded it, and it helped to reestablish a baseline for the rest of Book 2. Sure, last week was mostly set-up, but "A New Spiritual Age" helped to pay off some meaningful dividends, and to keep things moving. There's momentum now, folks! And that momentum was propelled in this episode by delightful cameos that almost felt like fan service, but were motivated enough that they didn't trigger the "It was fun, but the episode would've been fine without 'em" feeling that I typically assign to fan service. 

So. Iroh. Not Prince Eric pretty boy Iroh. The original Iroh. Iroh Classic. At first I thought "A New Spirtual Age" was going to play a cruel joke and have Iroh be some sort of shape-shifting evil spirit, and I likely would've broken my television if that'd been the case. But no, instead we had Iroh there to help an insecure, reverted-to-her-child-self Korra come to grips with her anxieties about the Spirit World, and to serve as the bridge between the Spirit World and the Physical World.

Iroh was known for his good advice and great tea ("The key to both is proper aging.") in Avatar: The Last Airbender, so it was all the more appropriate that Legend of Korra would have him use a tea party/wedding reception to gently guide Korra toward understanding her fears. A gentle nudge that she's now the metaphorical teapot that carries Raava—and thus has that light inside of her—helped to reinforce the lessons she learned in "Beginnings," but in a different context. Learning about Wan retaught her about being the Avatar; Iroh's lesson helped to her lock in that knowledge and gain the confidence, not bullheaded pride, she needs to actually be the Avatar.

What I really liked about all of this, however, was the notion that Korra's attitude during Book 2, and arguably during much of Book 1, contributed to the lack of balance between the two worlds. "You have light and peace inside of you. If you let it out, you can change the world around you," Iroh told her. Her anger, her frustration, her act-first-and-ask-questions-later behavior—they all seemed to have contributed to putting things out of whack. While I do think Unalaq has been doing things on his own end, I also think he's been taking advantage of the ripple effects of Korra's actions. I've wanted to see some sort of consequence for her conduct, and I can't think of a better one than giving the angry spirits more negative vibes to feed off of.

Less important but no less pleasurable was Wan Shi Tong, he who knows 10,000 things. I enjoyed his blustery arrogance in A:TLA, and it was fun to have that rolled out again here (I'm so watching "The Library" after I finish writing this). But then to have Jinora school him on how radios work? Priceless. Wan Shi Tong can blame all the foxy assistants he wants, but he totally bought into the "little man inside the box" theory. Like Iroh, Wan Shi Tong's role in the episode was more than just the return of a fan-favorite character. His presence helped to make Unalaq's appearance both surprising and not surprising: Wan Shi Tong does what is best for him and his knowledge, and he saw Unalaq as beneficial to that cause. That's all that mattered to him. Their connection also helped to fill in a potential gap regarding how Unalaq learned as much as he has.

Speaking of Unalaq, if I had a quibble with this episode, it was with him. I've long appreciated his well-intentioned (if misguided) emphasis on the spiritual side of things, regardless of how he wanted to execute it—freeing Vaatu, or freeing Vaatu and merging with him, as a number of you have proposed. But I felt like he was definitely off in this episode. Perhaps it was a transition to the "madness" Korra called him on, and certainly he's become more consumed with his plot as the show's progressed, even to the detriment of his own children. But he seemed more villain-y this week than he's ever been. I mean, he had a one-liner for Jinora, and one-liners don't really seem like the Unalaq we've, well, barely gotten to know, but still.

That's still just a minor quibble, though, and one that can hopefully be corrected in the next few episodes as Book 2 approaches it conclusion. Thankfully, I'm at least looking forward to that conclusion in an excited way, and not in a "Good grief, can this be over now?" way.

LEAVES ON THE WIND

– Studio Mir is back! Did you see all the facial expressions while people were talking? Their expressions matched their words! Please never leave us again, Studio Mir.

– I know I was missing Republic City while we were in the South Pole and then hating Republic City while we were in Republic City, but, wow, what a difference in enjoyment I felt at not detouring over there.

– I now feel like Raava hiding in a teapot with Wan was done just so they could have Iroh appear and do his thing. I'm not complaining about it, but in hindsight, it comes off as a very deliberate decision.

– "Come visit me again. In this life, or the next." Iroh 4 (every) lyfe, y'all. Even if it's not Mako doing the voice.

– A reminder that next week, there will be two new episodes and the same goes for the week after that. Home stretch of Book 2!

What did you think of "A New Spiritual Age"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/19/2014

Season 3 : Episode 13

63 Comments
Comments (63)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Great episode! I want more Iroh in the immediate future!
Flag
Ohh yeah, and it´s gonna be sick to watch Unalag becoming The Dark Avatar. `Cause you just know that´s about to happen :-D
Flag
Awesome episode!! Next to "Beginnings" it was by far the best episode so far!! Sat with a giant smile all the way through! Especially because "The Library" is one of my all time favorite episodes of A:T.L.A
Flag
Korra: What an idiot!!! I hated her, how stupid can she be? Trusting Unalag, sacrificaing the whole World for one person (and no guaranty that Unalag will set her free) I just hated her. How come someone so immature, stupid, reckless and selfish be an avatar?
Flag
I hate Unalaq with a passion..That is all.

Evil Son of a-...oKay I'm done.
Flag
Finally, what I've been waiting since they announced that the name of the book of this season was 'spirits'. The spirit world. I like how they visited old places like the library and how its filled with spirits with actual personality. The radio bit was hilarious. I'm surprised they brought back Iroh in that way. I never thought he was that much of a spiritual person back in the old series.

I still don't like the fact that Unalaq is the big baddie in this book (but one can argue Vatu is the bigger baddie). What is up with waterbenders being evil in this series? First season it was Tarrlok, now its Unalaq.
Flag
This was really really bad. I don't see what you liked about this at all. Iroh's previously meaningful and insightful wisdom was just empty repition of what has been said before. Korra being useless again. Unolaq still being a bad, flat character.
The only good thing about this episode was how cute Korra-as-a-child was, really.
Flag
I didn't like it at all. Most of what happened was nonsense, and Korra is still useless. I'm getting tired of that.

I thought Iroh was a great character on Avatar: The last airbender, but to include him like this is just a form of name-dropping. I felt as if I had just heard some boring person try to make himself seem more interesting by casually mentioning a famous person he's met.
Flag
Iroh's back! :D

Iroh is the patient and wise grandfatherly figure that everyone not only wants, but needs. Having him reappear in a moment of dire need for Korra was tremendous. My heart erupted with dem feels when he showed up. I finished watching the episode not ten minutes ago, and my heart's still glowing. What Mako did for that role will stay with me forever, and while it's still somewhat tough to hear Greg Baldwin in the role, I think with this last episode he really did an excellent job. Not only did he capture the essence of the character, but he also made it his own and I felt like he wasn't trying so hard to do what Mako had done with it as I felt was the case during the end of season 3, and it was just too soon after Mako had passed. It was just awesome to see Uncle again. Hopefully we'll get more of his wisdom in the future.

In any case, this episode was awesome. Jinora being captured by Unalaq and Wan Shi Tong was messed up, and while I know I shouldn't be surprised they used her for leverage against Korra, I can't help but sit here and be like..."How are Unalaq and Korra related?" Dude is such a sociopath. It's crazy. And for the spirit that knows 10,000 things, Wan Shi Tong is clearly an idiot. I hope Jinora shows up more in the future and plays a bigger role. I love how she schooled Wan Shi Tong, and her personality in general. She's such a little cutie-pie. <3 Bookworms.

Favorite quote: "I can make the sun shine?" "Even in the material world you will find that if you look for the light, you can often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see."

Sidenote: Is anyone else disappointed that Bumi is continuously shot down by the likes of Kya and Tenzin? I love Bumi! He's like the Sokka of Aang's kids. And I'm kind've upset that Aang and Katara never taught their kids to be more respectful with regards to non-benders. What would the Gaang be without Sokka? Seriously.
More+
Flag
this episode hit all the right notes. oh how I missed Iroh's wisdom
Flag
Unalaq has certainly crossed the Moral Event Horizon, in my opinion. I can't tell whether he was trying to steal Korra's soul and assume her position as the Avatar, but relentlessly attacking your own niece for personal gain after using an innocent child as a hostage is beyond irredeemable. Unalaq is scum and needs to go down. I'm hoping every bit of his defeat is delicious.

Iroh's appearance was genuinely surprising, but greatly appreciated, as was Wan Shi Tong's. I think the writers did a splendid job by including them within the plot for a bit of lighthearted humor, while also avoiding a feeling of it being shoehorned it. The subtle allusions to A:TLA were brilliantly executed (such as the use of Iroh's wisdom with regard to the teapot), and the vast symbolism throughout was quite palpable and astonishing.

The spirit Korra guided to its home strikingly resembled a phoenix, which is typically associated with the sun, resurrection, reincarnation, and consecration. Raava therefore being a literal manifestation of a phoenix in the Spirit World could haven't been more befitting for this series, yet it didn't come across as forced nor in-your-face, either.

I suppose from here on out, Korra will attempt to re-enter the Spirit World from one of the portals, thereby gaining access to her bending whilst in the realm, itself. Silly Unalaq, you should have known better than to provide Korra with a major tip for conquering that one shortfall. These haughty villains never their lesson, apparently. Really looking forward to the rest of the season, as there's finally a much-needed build-up (not to mention two weeks of hour-long episodes doesn't hurt).

Welcome back, Studio Mir. Your godly animation was sincerely missed.
More+
Flag
It's really great to see them breaking away from Republic City and returning more to the Last Airbender roots. Something about Republic City always felt off to me. I never really bought into the fact the technology escalated that fast. Don't get me wrong, it's got a great style to it, it just always seemed strange to me.

But the fact that the spirit world is a larger part of this season and they're breaking away from just being in the city is really bringing the show together. This episode was a great piece of writing with insight to the characters.
Flag
I'd be lieing if I said I didn't get emotional when Iroh said "visit me in this life or the next." :) I love how LOK is able to incorporate characters as story threads from TLA without it ever feeling like fan service or like it was simply thrown in for no reason. I've enjoyed book 2, yea there were some slow episodes in the middle but instill enjoyed them but man since Beginnings I've been loving it.

Also, I honestly did enjoy republic city in season 1, an I'm fine with all the advancements in tech that has taken place between the series, but it was dang nice to get back to the spiritual stuff of TLA
Flag
It almost felt surreal to be reunited with Iroh again, because for me it felt like Iroh passed on when his voice actor Mako did. It felt like reuniting with both Iroh and Mako again.
Flag
If Unalaq is more villain-y,is because time for Harmonic something-something is almost upon him/us. So if he wants to set free Vaatu,it seems reasonable to be more "on his toes".
I never liked Republic City,I did like sport,but all rest I hated. I love it,when it's like it is now and love,love,loooooooved it,when it was Wan episode(s).

So I noticed this...don't know,if it has any meaning,but owl's name is Wan Shi Tong. I forgot,was it explained in Last Airbender,how owl got name?
Flag
The "Wan" in Wan Shi Tong is Chinese for "Ten thousand" (his name literally means "knows 10,000 things"). Perhaps they decided to call the first avatar Wan because his story was set 10,000 years before the present day, although if so I think it's meant to be a more subtle allusion. So the names possibly mean the same thing but I don't think they are supposed to link the characters.

Great episode, loved pot-bellied babyKorra, but I wish they'd retired Iroh for good now Mako is no longer with us to voice him :( it's just not the same!
Flag
Thank you for info on name.
Flag
I'm STILL surprised that I enjoy the moral/philosophical quandaries of an animated show that much more than of any other show.

I really love how they discuss the ideas about inner peace and its affects on the outside world. The shows (both Korra and A:TLA) have a great way of actually showing those things not just babbling about them.

Even in small details like when in the beginning of Book 2 Korra wanted to go the South Pole but Tenzin said their air bending training wasn't finished. Then Korra showed some moves *punch* *punch* *kick* with air bending. They didn't say anything about it, but you could notice trouble right there and then - air bending IS NOT about *punch* *punch* *kick*. Her attitude showed pretty clearly. If this part was showed with fire bending it wouldn't have been that bad, because that's how fire bending is, more or less. Anyway, amazing!
Flag
Iroh helping Korra while drinking tea and play his board game was priceless loved him in Avatar: The last air bender and here in Korra.
Looking forward to the next episode!
Flag
Ok we saw Iroh, its time for Zuko to show up.
Flag
Harmonic Convergence is ep 12. Taking a guess at what will go down. I think Vaatu and Korra will go head to head during convergence, korra will be too much for him and win. So vaatu will resort to possessing Unalaq. Last eps show will then be about him hunting down each Lion Turtle to gain the other elements to become a "Dark" Avatar. Korra will try to stop him. Always love speculating about this show, Ive almost never been right though.
Flag
I loved it simply for studio Mir returning, the simply joy of a character's face looking right is something I can't put into words.
Flag
Loved this episode. Loved to see a small Korra, with a belly...hehehe lol..she was so cute. I loved that Iroh was back.
Didn't miss Republic City at all. Spirit world was much more cooler...how the spirits changed depending on the mood of Korra.
Then in the end, with stupid Unulaq. He had to ruin everything. The series suddenly became very serious this episode and with 4 episodes remaining, i wonder what is going to happen.
Flag
How do I feel about this episode? I feel it can be summed up in one word: IRRRRROOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!
Flag
This was such a good episode. Korra & Iroh together was the best!
Flag
Iroh alone has that effect:D For me Korra is sometimes really hard to like or tolerate. Jinora and rest of airbenders I love,I love Bolin.
Flag
OMG I loved him & Zuko! I loved his life lessions there were probbaly like listening to shakespear, & Zuko never listen, but it was always really deep stuff
Flag
This episode was incredibly surreal and I guess that's the point. I quite enjoyed it, can't wait to see it resolved. The B-plot in republic city seems to serve the soul purpose of keeping characters occupied until they're needed in the A-plot (and I know they are through the first trailers, but won't post spoilers)
Flag
The one thing that this episode highlighted more than anything else is how irrelevant the entire B-plot is to this season. And by B-plot, I mean everything that has been happening in Republic City during Korra's absence with Varrick. Hopefully, the next episode ties that plot in more with the overarching plot in the Spirit World, otherwise, it'll have been a massive waste of time, which also shows how unnecessary Mako, Bolin, and Asami have become.

But that's a Book-related complaint. This episode continued the upward trend and really hit home on an emotional level. Seeing Iroh again was a massive treat, as was Wan Shi Tong, even though he ended up betraying Jinora. And seeing Tenzin deal with the aftermath is going to be rough. Can't wait to see how this all wraps up in a couple of weeks!
Flag
I do not think Varrick's subplot will pay off this season. I feel that Varrick will be the villain of book 3 and he is setting up for it right now. Varrick is a non-bender who is quite good at running away. He has a massive amount of resources and a huge fleet. With access to airships, airplanes, mecha, and a huge fleet of boats, I feel that he has the potential to build an army that can rival the Republic's considering their loss last season. If he can use his economic power to control Republic City, then he can essentially take over the world unchallenged. He has also divided the new "Team Avatar," and created a system where they have to depend on him for aid.
Flag
I love this idea. Verrick has potential to be a good villain and I like him more than Unalaq. It would be worth it to leave his plot unresolved in Book 2 and be the main focus of Book 3 or a story arc in book 3.
Flag
MAAAAAAN OHh MAN, I could not love this episode more! It was worth it, IMO, having Korra regress so much so that her encounter with Iroh would be so heartwarming and eloquently powerful.

It's episodes like these that really shine, not only because of the familiar faces, but mostly because of the simplicity of it all. When there's focus on 3 or less characters, it leaves more room for exploration of the story arch, character development, and what's most important for me — the construction of poignant, moral truths/values/lessons (in this case, Iroh's [Gaaah, what a great character!] famous monologues) for people of all ages.

Iroh's words of wisdom always strike a powerful chord in me. Would it be too much to ask to have his, or Guru Pathik's, sage-like wisdom in another character in Korra's world? It's what I miss the most. I was expecting it to be Tenzin, but he doesn't seem all quite there.

I mean we have the Bolin, the comic-relief; Korra, the headstrong, naive/sheltered, heroine; Mako, the street smart, grown-up-before-his-time, do-gooder; Asami, the tech-savvy, privileged girl; Beifong; Bumi; Kya; Varrik; Tenzin's family; and Korra's family but nobody that quite fills the "wise shoes", even the slightest. Looking back at that long list of characters, it's no wonder the show progresses as slowly as it does, what with having to take time to develop all those characters!

Also, having Korra physically regress had me smiling big time and thinking, "Yes! That's you! Yes! Muahaha!" It also shows the audience that, in spite of all the frustrations with Korra's discontinuous, defective, coming-of-age tale, the creators are well aware of everything (duh) and the tides should be turning (although, a little late, but better late than never).
More+
Flag
Freaking awesome episode! Couldn't be happier they didn't go back to Republic City actually I'd be ecstatic if they just axed the whole Republic City subplot thank you very much, Mako, Asami, Bumi and especially Lin have been completely useless this season. Definitely not a team dynamic like Team Aang.
Flag
For me the weakness this book has had is that Mako, Bolin, and Asami have been reduced to secondary characters and haven't done much of importance or any development. I hope that will be rectified in Book 3.
Flag
Yeah exactly, what I loved about Avatar:TLA was all of the characters had equal importance but had their own areas of growth, Katara discovering her healing abilities and later her blood bending, Sokka and his Sword Mastery in Book 3 and Toph and her discovering metal bending. Mako, Asami and Bolin have really contributed nothing in Book 2.
Flag
Since "The Guide" I got the feeling that if it's going to be a Dark Avatar it won't be Unalaq, I got the feeling it's going to be Jinora. Either way, I'm certain next episodes are going to be great regardless of what will happen.
Flag
One question, does anyone know or have any theories on if Korra can/could communicate with Raava?, from my interpretation Wan could, so I have to hope will see Korra communicate with Raava eventually.
Flag
My theory is that whenever the current Avatar tries to speak with a Past Avatar, they are actually speaking to Raava's memories of the Avatar. I got the idea from when Aang was on the Lion Turtle back in Season 3 of The Last Airbender. The Avatars seemed very similar to me despite being from completely different backgrounds. However, Raava does know the person for their entire life, so it is possible for it to fully reflect the will of each individual, but at the same time, Raava can use the same process to influence the Avatar based on its own judgment. When I rewatched the Lion Turtle episode, it felt like Aang was speaking to Raava four different times, but with the different memories. They all told Aang to be "decisive" and that the Avatar has to sacrifice himself or herself for the good of everyone.

I think that the Avatar isn't actually "reincarnated," but rather Raava chooses a host and carries with it the memories of the Past Avatars. It also looks like whenever the "self-defense" Avatar State activates, it is Raava taking control of the Avatar's body against their will as well and much like possession, it causes exhaustion and can probably harm the Avatar in the long term as well.
More +
Flag
Interesting theory. I like it.
Flag
It was great episode. It had everything I wanted. I can honestly say I didn't expect Iroh I to appear in this episode. I fully expected some of Korra's past lives to guide her, but this was not only more surprising it was a welcomed addition. As you said Iroh gives good advice and makes great tea. It felt a bit fan service, but it had a purpose that would have been different if they used another character.

I know I was one of the few people that liked Korra regression into hothead who makes mistakes. I fully believe this is what happen after defeating Amon and getting her bending back without having to sit with the consequences or lost for more than a few hours or days. Seeing her get her pride shattered, facing the consequences of those actions, and getting knocked down to her lowest point again actually meant more this time, because things just didn't bend toward Korra's way like the aftermath with Amon. Seeing her afraid of the Spirit World (which she never got during her initial training), losing Jinora, and the lost of her bending (which she prides herself at having) were needed. This time Korra couldn't bend it wasn't just something she regained like a minute later. This time she was forced to face what she was without bending and her regressing to a child illustrated that perfectly. This Iroh came to her aid instead of Aang. He did more than just a few words of wisdom, but showed Korra who she was and to find her light instead of darkness. It was wonderful to see Korra connect with the spirits remember the true meaning of being the Avatar, to bring balance, that she is the result of fusion of a human soul and spirit and responsible for both worlds not just one.

It was long road this season and most hated Korra steeped backwards it was necessary to get his true character growth and have it stick. Jinora proved herself to be her grandfather and grandmother's granddaughter. She was able to connect with spirits more easily than her father and Korra, but kept her focus after she was separated from Korra. It reminded me of how Katara kept her cool to lead the team out of the desert. Her show off her knowledge to our librarian was a crowning moment of awesome. Even when Unalaq captured her she kept her cool somewhat.

Vaath is what I expected of him. He refuses to acknowledge the Avatar's humanity and refers to her as Raava. He still hasn't learned the value of Wan/Raava's union and just sees Wan/Korra has a host for his true nemesis. I wouldn't expect less from Vaatu. My problem with this episode was also Unalaq. He's such a obvious villain and the gray area he had when he was introduced is lost. He is arrogant and believes Vaatu will not destroy the world (he told Jinora not to believe everything she reads), so he stupidly trust Vaatu with no reassurance. He was going to destroy Korra's spirit along with Raava's to ensure Vaatu won. He is foolish. He didn't even think to let Korra get away to use as a trump card in case Vaatu betrays him. He made all the stupid villain mistakes that he was able to maneuver out of before. The episode succeeded in making me hat Unalaq for the glee he took in destroying Jinora and Korra's souls eradicating them from existence. He's a step down from Amon and approaching Zhao's level of villainy, smug snake with no skill to back it up or depth to him. I was heartbroken when Tenzin's worst fears were realized and Korra's helplessness. I also loved Bumi and Kya comforted him. It shows they may fight like all families, but love each other and will be there for each other in a instant. It was a satisfying episode.
More+
Flag
Have to wait another 2 weeks for the next episodes!? it's becoming as bad as Doctor who!
Flag
Nope, we have two new episodes next friday, and then the two part finale in two weeks. Then the wait for Book 3 begins.
Flag
Loved every aspect of this episode(Iroh!!!!). Not only was Studio Mir back with their crisp and expressive animation, I also thought the score was better than ever tonight, lots of atla nostalgia in the music tonight and I loved it. I love the development Korra has been getting since Beginnings, , I just hope it sticks with her between seasons. My heart broke for Jinora and Tenzin at the end. I haven't bee this excited for Korra in a long time. It is kind of sad that Korra is exponentially better without the rest of Team Avatar, why can't Team Avatar just be Korra, Jinora, Tenzin, Kya, and Bumi. I honestly think the show would be better without the dumb romance plots that come with Mako, Asami, and Bolin. I have high expectations for the rest of the season. I just loved this episode so much.
Flag
I don't think Bolin, Mako, and Asami are at fault though. The writers haven't been using them to develop the plot. I certainly don't think they are beyond saving and should just be dumped from the show. They just need more development and better plots. I think a issue here is that the series has too many characters to juggle. Bumi, Tenzin, and Kya along with the air children development got more focus and as a result Bolin, Mako, and Asami got the shaft. In the original series the main cast was small grew gradually as time went so more focus stayed on them. LoK started small, but got tons of characters really fast, which means when one group gets the majority of focus the other one largely sits around doing nothing and looking useless. Another issue could be the writers are putting the kids and grandkids from the original cast and developing them more than Korra's generation, which can be jarring.
Flag
Best of the episode.
Korra: I'm the avatar.
Spirit: *sniff sniff* Not impressed.
Flag
Iroh for the win. Even more awesome because a friend of mine and I were just talking about how awesome he was in the first series today.

Also, I am glad next 2 weeks we're gonna have double episodes. I wish they god damn changed it to an hour's worth permanently.
Flag
I still find it unlikely for a Dark Avatar to occur, but it seemed like Unalaq was almost trying to spirit bend Korra. Now, Vaatu will be free, but he will most likely kill Unalaq the first chance he gets. I find it more likely to have Korra end up being the host of Vaatu and Raava, with the two of them struggling over control of her in a "battle of the mind" scenario.

I believe Korra's parallel to the development of Wan is crucial to this story. Korra is making all of the same mistakes Wan did. Korra wants to get stronger, but she lacks the patience and there are consequences for not thinking things through. Wan used the power of the spirits against other humans, resulting in his exile and eventually setting Vaatu free. Korra is gradually doing the same.

Korra is finally getting in touch with her spiritual side and her ability to befriend the other spirits will probably be important. I think we will see the Spirit of the Oasis and other spirits that reflect different elements too and perhaps they will be the ones to help prepare Korra for the Harmonic Convergence. I can't wait to hear that spirit call Korra stinky and see her reaction to it.
More+
Flag
Interesting take on the raava-vaatu battle, it could happen, but i still think that it looks more like vaatu could just possess unalaq and channel his powers thru him. I also have to agree that unalaq seemed a bit more 'bent' or overtly evil here. I really hope it isn't just to be another power mad bad guy like ozai, that would be disappointing and 1 dimensional.
Flag
Unalaq has shown signs of being overtly evil since he went to the Spirit World, so it might have something to do with Vaatu's influence over him. He did something to his brother, so it is possible that he is just insanely evil before we were even introduced to him. Perhaps one of Unalaq's earlier journeys into the Spirit World got him "infected" by one of the dark spirits considering how easy it is for them to change and Vaatu is just controlling him with a fragment of himself. I still think that Unalaq was trying to Spirit Bend Korra in that episode, and that is key.

A Vaatu possessed Unalaq is still possible, but I do not see a way for him to possess all the powers of the Avatar unless Vaatu somehow copied it from Raava during one of their struggles after Raava had already obtained the elements.
Flag
I think if the Dark Avatar plot happens it won't bend all 4 elements. I think it will just be Vaatu possessing a human body and using it to enhance its power. The Dark Avatar instead of being union of human and spirit will just be Vaatu dominating and torturing a human soul so it can be in control to highlight the difference between Raava and Vaatu in how they treat their human hosts. If Unalaq is used as Vaatu's body to battle Korra I can see Unalaq's water and spirit bending enhanced by Vaatu's energy and Vaatu's own skill set like shooting energy beam.
Flag
Exactly. Fire lord ozai for the start of the final battle was aided by the comet to enhance his fire bending. I don't think vaatu needs to have all 4 elements when unalaq can do the spirit bending as well. Plus as far as avatar goes, i don't think it ever meant a person having all four elements, but rather like the host to a spirit. But anyway it's easier just to call vaatu and the person he ,oght possess as the 'dark avatar'.
Flag
This is just an example of how knowing too much knowledge is a dangerous thing as it blinds you to the truth, if that Wan Shi Tong was truly smart he would know that Unalaq freeing Vaatu would be the end of the world, plus he didn't know how a radio worker........btw where can I sign up to get my own spirit animal, there too adorable
Flag
Loved seeing Iroh, after being so angry Korra didn't see Zuko, I'm really happy Iroh was brought back.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members