A The Legend of Korra Community
Nickelodeon (ended 2014)
After much waiting and anticipation, we got to finally see Toph reunited with her family. It made sense that this Toph-heavy episode was about reconciliation more than Toph versus Kuvira; personally it felt more satisfying than Toph outright stomping Kuvira… in this way it shifts the focus back to the battle between Kuvira and Korra again. The writers have done a great job closing up deus ex machina loopholes: Toph’s reason for non-involvement made sense and also accounted for Kataara’s absence during the civil war (an appreciated nod to the fans). Naturally, Korra took a more secondary role this episode but it was still integral to the season arc. This was important because it denied our heroes an easy solution against Kuvira’s superweapon. Good on the writers for catching and addressing that potential loophole too. This was another strong episode of character growth and action without going too exposition heavy.

After her character arc with Su, it made sense that Lin would finally patch things up with her mom. Like Varrick, Lin started off one-note but has since become more layered. There seems to be more to Toph’s story but she is the master of understatement (remember how she described Airbender’s finale?). Something tells me that Lin’s dad did something incredibly heroic/villainous and Toph needed Lin focused. At least we have a name now. Opal felt a little underused but that’s the most I could nitpick with plot A.

I’m glad the writers maintained Varrick’s stance against superweapons. After dealing with Kuvira, he finally realized his genius had the potential to harm people. Varrick has shown some amazing character growth this season and it’s nice to see him evolving without fundamentally changing the zany essence. That said, the reunion between Varrick and Zhu Li should be interesting. My bet is she’ll smack him before she kisses him. “Do the thing” might just be the Korra equivalent of “as you wish”.

Prince Wu has more guile than he lets on. He plays such a convincing moron that most people (even Mako) underestimate him. He tells Mako it’s because of Korra but how much of THAT is an act too? It would be interesting to know how much of his outward persona is a reaction to the Empress’ death. Maybe he even dresses up in a cape & cowl and prowls the streets as a masked vigilante too. Physically, Wu may not look like much but a very small man can cast a very large shadow.

Only three episodes left! Kuvira’s got that glint in her eye and probably a few more tricks up her sleeve.

Show Notes:

*Bolin won over Opal and all it took was standing in the crosshairs of a REALLY big gun.

*That dreamy look on Zhu-Li’s face… she was saying Bolin but clearly thinking of someone else. :)
12 Comments
Comments (12)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Dec 08, 2014
I just wanted to see Toph metal bend ONE time to show Kuvira that "TOPH IS THE GREATEST EARTHBENDER THERE IS"
Flag
Dec 10, 2014
Toph would kick Kuvira's ass big time.
Flag
Dec 06, 2014
This week's episode of "Legend of Korra" was seriously lacking in...Korra. But with 4 strong female heroes (plus Zhu Li) and 1 über-strong female villain, maybe there just wasn't room for her in the script!

Along those lines, I love how Su's husband played the "damsel in distress" role this episode, really turned the usual patriarchal cartoon storytelling on its head.

Only 3 episodes left now! Can't believe it. I'm holding out hope that the series finale will be a double-length edition.
Flag
Dec 06, 2014
Lin looks so much like her mother. Take the beginning of this episode; 'You. Zipp it, I had enough of your babbling on the ride in.' Just something Toph would say as well. And this episode had a lot of great lines in it. Can't wait till next week!
Flag
Dec 06, 2014
It is Lin not Lynn.
Flag
Dec 06, 2014
Whoops. Corrected.
Flag
Dec 06, 2014
That Su vs Kuvira fight was fantastic, and the art and imagery in Kuvira's weapon demonstration and Korra's trip to the spirit world were really impressive.

It's always great to see Toph and the return of Lin's meme-face.
Flag
Dec 06, 2014
It definitely was! I am constantly impressed with how the show blends real fighting styles with bending so naturally.
Flag
Dec 06, 2014
Thanks for the review, I completely agree. Ah only 3 left :(
Flag
Dec 06, 2014
That episode was awesome! Toph for the win! Great write up!
Flag
Dec 06, 2014
Thanks! It has been fun writing them for this show :)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members