A The Legend of Korra Community
Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

The Legend of Korra S02E05: "Peacekeepers"

Where to start... where to start...

First and foremost, "Peacekeepers" was just a remarkably bad-looking episode. Studio Pierrot's work has steadily declined over the course of five episode, drifting away from the Studio Mir style to their own particular style of animation, and on the lower end of what they're capable of, too. It's about on the same level as the filler-arc animation you'd find in some of Pierrot's other shows. It's stiff and un-detailed, and it's obvious which choices they made regarding where to spend their time. Arriving at Republic City? Not a whole lot of effort. Korra and Mako breaking up? It actually looked decent.

Likewise, the color palette and lighting have shifted from Studio Mir's more subdued impulses to Pierrot's favored look of "always popping, always bright." Republic City is significantly brighter than I think it's ever been, and while I get that we never saw much of it during the day in Book 1, and that the seasons are likely different—it's obviously not winter any longer—the brightness and lack of detail just make Republic City seem generic and kind of uninhabited. Heck, Mako's apartment looked like no one lived there apart from the Fire Ferrets wall scroll.

I've mentioned this a couple of times, maybe in the comments, but certainly when discussing it on Twitter, that lately I often feel like I'm watching Naturo or Bleach instead of The Legend of Korra, and this episode really locked in that sensation for me. Pierrot is slated for two more episodes—6 and 9—and Studio Mir animated what's left in the season. 

I understand the production demands behind animation. Nickelodeon didn't leave a lot of time to get the show on in a year, and Studio Mir is, as I've said, a small operation; something as rich and good-looking as Book 1 required a lot of their animators. They needed a rest, and Pierrot is nothing if not a workhorse when it comes to churning out animation, making them an ideal interim solution. Hopefully, since Nickelodeon has made orders for Books 3 and 4 in a timely fashion, they'll look significantly better and more consistent than what we got this week.

Last week I mentioned that I was pretty much all out of slack for the show's narrative, and "Peacekeepers" decided to test me on that threat. The second half of "Civil Wars" was a series of structural stumbles for the sake of narrative expediency, but that expediency didn't really get us very far this week. Except to show us that Mako is the only sane, responsible character in the A-plot, and that is something that I honestly never thought would happen? My head, it hurts.

Based on your comments and my very shallow wading into the fan community outside of you all, my sense is that Korra is very much on the outs with much of the audience. I defended her a bit earlier, but I've reached a breaking point, of sorts, regarding her behavior. Her intense stubbornness—from yelling at the president to going over the president's head to manufacture a war with General Iroh—I still defend as teenager insanity, and I do sort of applaud the show for putting what has become an intensely unlikable protagonist at the center of its narrative. We're seeing Korra without a moderating influence, like Tenzin, and, really, it's actually rather bold, especially for a "kids' show." It's Luke Skywalker leaving Dagobah without completing the training and then the whole Cloud City mess* stretched across four episodes. And if Luke was much more of a jerk to R2-D2 the entire time.

*I cannot believe I am worried about spoiling The Empire Strikes Back for someone. I dislike what the Internet has reduced me to.

The problem, however, is that Korra isn't facing much in the way of actual consequences for her behavior, and that's what I think is so frustrating for us, or at least it is for me. It isn't enough for her to be blocked by the president at every turn, or even that Mako breaks up with her. She doesn't see these instances as linked to her behavior, and instead views them as failures on their parts. She needs to be dealt something very serious that causes her realize the errors of her behavior. I think the end of this episode, with the angry spirit swallowing her whole, could likely be that wake-up call, in the same way that Amon's easy humiliation of her in "The Voice in the Night" caused her to start reevaluating things.

Even the things I should've really responded to this week, like Varrick using Korra to stir up a war by encouraging her to talk to Iroh and in doing so setting up Asami to become a war profiteer and then his decision to make a propaganda 'mover' with Bolin should've just tickled me to no end. I love this sort of stuff, and after the political drama from Book 1, it should feel like a much bigger deal. I'm just having trouble getting past how lightly it's being framed by the show. It's undercut by the jokes, but not in a meaningful way like the show was even capable of way back in the first episode as contrasted Unalaq's grand religious speech with Varrick's insistence on mindless entertainment. Varrick's incredibly ruthless and conniving, but sort of like with Korra thus far, I'm not convinced he'll face a real consequences.Then again, maybe a business tycoon not facing any consequences for his actions will be exactly the point the show wants to make.

If it ever gets around to making a point.

LEAVES ON THE WIND

– I didn't like the Air Temple stuff as much as I did last week, but at least it was more coherent, and pushed steadily toward Tenzin realizing that he should have stayed with Korra, regardless of her attitude. However, this could end up feeling like a way to avoid forcing Korra to accept responsibility for her actions, and shifting that responsibility to Tenzin alone... and it really does not belong there.

– At least Lin showed up this week, and had my favorite line of the episode: "Welcome home, Avatar. Thanks for starting a war."

– "Being alpha lemur is lonely."

What did you think of "Peacekeepers"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/19/2014

Season 3 : Episode 13

69 Comments
Comments (68)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This episode was epic. I see a few minor differences in the animation, but overall I think you're over exaggerating. The plot was fantastic, even the B-plot. I loved seeing prodigies that can do ridiculous things like training a whole group of lemurs at age.. what? 5? 4? I don't even know. I will agree that war profiteering was really cool, and i'm glad they're not dumbing it down for the children out there. And the cliffhanger was fantastic, got me so pumped for next week.
Flag
I liked this episode way more then the previous ones.
There was a lot going on this week, that may have serious future impact. Only because it didn't unfold yet, doesn't mean it is not going to happen. If we regard the heroes as kids(or teenagers) it makes sense they only see their side of the war(meaning Asami and Korra). Mako seems to have some wisdom at least. You could also call it smart of Varrick to go full retard to sell them on "his" war.
That aside, Korra is obviously terribly wrong with everything she does... all the time basically and I can't see how they are going to make us sympathize with her. However if the plot thickens now (maybe we get a time jump after the ghostworld right into the war, that would be nice) it would be fine.
Then again, maybe I'm just enthusiastic because mako was cool this week. I also really liked the way he was animated. Then again I also like the Bleach-art.
Oh yeah and the twins as antagonists: Big hell yes!
So still not too great this week,but I think it could have been the best episode this season.
More+
Flag
maybe someone can help me out here.. why did Korra take a boat to the Fire Nation? She's a master waterbender and the Avatar, doesn't she have the skills to out-waterski her cousins and OHKO them?
Flag
She may be the avatar, but she still needs transportation to get to some place far away. Can't do much if you have no energy left. As for her cousins, I think she could've beaten them if not for that giant water spirit popping up during the fight.
Flag
Thought I was the only one who was really beginning to feel sour at Korra, glad to find I'm not! I agree that she's became pretty dislikeable, I know that a hot-headed, "ask questions later" heroine should really be exciting/refreshing but not when she just comes off as annoyingly stubborn and stupid. She doesn't listen to reason or think things through, which I really hate in a character.
I feel she's just turned into a complete bully, like in the last episode where she practically chased after the Judge when (even if he WAS a baddie in the end) had, at said point in the episode, only been doing his job. She's stubborn and quick to anger, so unlike Aang. I miss Aang. She constantly complains about how difficult it is to be the Avatar, yet she doesn't even make a good job of being the Avatar
Flag
Agreed. When she was going on and on about the Northern Tribe oppressing her people and how they started it I was practically screaming at the TV, "WHAT?! Oh NOW you care? Clearly you forgot it was YOUR fault they even accomplished it in the first place." God she's so irritating.

I never had the urge to scream at or smack Aang. Even when he was struggling with an answer, I was always routing for him. Korra...honestly, maybe Lin should lock her in jail so that she's forced to sit and THINK about everything.
Flag
Korra's cousins are mean to her. They just took off when the spirit ate her.
Flag
The episode itself was not terrible. Many storylines made forward progress, and larger conspiracies were hinted at. BUT, Korra is just too much already. Her character has gone over the edge. No one likes her anymore. And we should on soem level, shouldn't we? I have tried. But even I can't defend this annoyingly whiny, stubborn, stupid brat, anymore. She is giving me high blood pressure!
Flag
Ok first the animation, SIGH....what can I say that hasn't already been said? The characters all stand around!! The characters not speaking stand around like statues, there is zero movement!!! Same goes for background characters.
THIS ANIMATION STUDIO SUCKS.

Also, where's all the bending??? The kickass duels we've all come to know and love???
Flag
Studio Mir's lighting vs Studio Pierrot's colour palette reminds me of another animation style, cause that whole first section harkened me back to the days of Charlie Brown's teacher.

I appreciate having a high standard, but had I not watched this episode(s) and read only this recap, one might think that Nickelodeon pulled a fast one and switched out Legend of Korra for New Coke.

When it comes to the actual story and characters, this show is light years ahead of 98% of what you'll see presented on networks geared to children and has been in each of it's 5 seasons. Is Korra book 1 better than what we've seen to date of book 2? I guess. But IMO we're talking about something subjective as opposed to the "fact" that by comparison, book 2 is crap.

This show, whether we're talking about just Korra or including Ang, has built up SO MUCH good credit in terms of quality on every level, most reaching well beyond what any animated cartoon should, that I'm MORE than happy to give it the entire season before I start pointing upwards at the falling sky.

And if indeed, in the end, this season is as flawed as what's being implied here...I'll still take that over an extra episode of Power Rangers, Sponge Bob, Digimon or whatever absurdity they choose to fill the time slot with instead of developing Book 3
More+
Flag
I'm just really happy they're continuing to make this show, if we complain about too much they'll cancel it, it's only the 5th episode, it's supposed to be different to book 1
Flag
Which is funny because if you compare the core base of the storyline....it's not.
Flag
About the animation, I think Asami looked much more different than Book 1 this season, noticeably 'uglier' I think. And that was before I read the reviews here and found out that the animation studio had changed. I could forgive the animation, if the story was engaging. I usually watch an episode at least two or more times a week, but it's getting harder and harder to get through an episode on the first try now. I have to routinely pause or rewind back because my mind keeps wandering off and I lose interest in what's going on. Book 2 is definitely more disappointing than Book 1. :-(
Flag
Someone else said this below, but I agree, I can't find anything totally wrong with this episode... but that doesn't mean I completely enjoyed it, either. The thing is I can say that about the entire season so far.
From Korra's belligerent attitude, to the war between tribes story-line, and even the new subtle look to the show, it's all been adding up (for me) to a disappointing start to the season. It just doesn't have the same feeling as book 1.
The things I did like about this episode... the Tenzin/Milo parts were a highlight for me; Mako being the smart one; appearances by Lin and Iroh.

Oh... and you can totally spoil Empire Strikes Back for me... If I haven't seen it by now, chances are I'll never see it...
Flag
I can't say I found anything wrong with the episode other than the glaringly lackluster animation. Mako has been my favorite character since the beginning of Book One, so I'm glad to see him fulfilling the role of "only sane man" while also being sort of a foil to Korra. I agree with the suggestion that Korra deserves at least slight repercussions for her actions (in spite of their realistic nature), because otherwise, she likely won't learn from her errors and would counterproductive so far as character progression goes.

I certainly wouldn't overlook Varrick somehow being involved in the bombings, as he was already once cleared for wrongdoing (the attack/kidnapping on Unalaq), hence the writers may be setting-up a "switcheroo" premise where Varrick has an ulterior motive separate from mere war profiteering. Or, Varrick may be aligned with another person/group, to which the audience has yet to become privy.

I think a major flaw of Book Two is the lack of a single, authoritative villain. Book One had the striking presence and commanding force of Amon, who was introduced in the very first episode. Meanwhile, Book Two still doesn't seem to have found its one, true villain and it does appear evident enough that Unalaq is not/will not be the "big bad" for Book Two.
More+
Flag
Agreed, I think it's very important to have a well-established Villain! Hopefully we get some clarification soon
Flag
anyone else seeing the B5 parallels with that whole President and Mako scene? might be that the episode title clued me into thinking of it in those terms, but seems pretty clear to me
Flag
I didn't know they changed animation studios. Can someone tell me more about it? I agree that the animation has been a bit choppy and not as fluid as the previous seasons, especially the bending.

I hope Korra was transported to the spirit world after she was eaten. I thought this season was all about exploring the spirit world, like meeting the face eater Koh again. Not glowing weird jellyfish spirits. Althouhg I must say, I found Mako's story line most interesting in the episode. I wouldn't mind if they created a detective procedural spin-off based on the Republic City police.

I don't know if my expectations were just high for this show, or whether the show is really declining in quality.
Flag
Studio Mir is a South Korean-based animation studio which was responsible for animating Book One of Korra. Studio Pierrot is a Japanese-based animation studio known for producing several popular anime series, such as the aforementioned Naruto and Bleach (also Beelzebub and a ton of OVAs).

The animation director for Studio Mir had apparently stated that the work provided for season one of Korra was very costly and fatigue-inducing to the production staff because of how much attention they paid to each and every detail (not that anyone's complaining). Mir also decided to focus their attention towards the upcoming fourth season of The Boondocks, so they clearly had their work cut out for them in trying to animate two series, simultaneously.

The problem for Studio Mir is that it's a rather small company and doesn't have anywhere near the amount of personnel or funds that Pierrot does. Thus, Book Two of Korra was originally intended to be animated entirely by Studio Pierrot because of time constraints from Nickelodeon, but because pf certain issues with the newly-forged arrangement, Studio Mir was asked to animate a few of the episodes for Book Two (episodes 7, 8, and 10-14).

Personally, I think Madhouse or Production I.G. (think Attack on Titan) would have been magnificent choices for animating Korra given the vast and intricate universe in which the series takes place. I mean, it's not everyday that you see run-of-the-mill anime with a setting like Republic City.
More +
Flag
I.G would've been my selection as even their lower-tier style of animation still looks good. But when Madhouse phones it in (e.g. Supernatural: The Animation) it only looks slightly better than what Pierrot's produced.
Flag
Pierrot's animation can be really, really good, but it can also be really, really, really bad. It's like flipping a coin everytime.
Flag
This was the best episode simply because it did not feel rushed. Mako did what we all wanted, give Korra the consequence for her actions. She even refused to believe him when he said that it wasn't the northern water tribe behind the bombing. I would not be surprised to find out it was varrick that hired the thugs to escalate the tension in order to profit from the coming war. I truly feel that the writers are on the right track to resolving korra's behavior. She reminds me a lot of Zuko now that I think about it. It hit me when she was talking to gen. Iroh because it sounded like zuko. I think fire lord may have some insight into helping korra deal with her anger, because of the history with zuko.
Flag
I've had that same feeling of "Zuko belligerence" for a little while now with how Korra is acting. I don't find it to be anything new since we saw it for 3 seasons with Zuko. Hell, we saw it for 3 seasons with Ang. His insecurity and unwillingness to truly commit to being the Avatar was a theme that carried from start to finish.

Korra, a petulant teen trying to figure out how to grow up yet filled with a great amount of power and responsibility as the world's saviour, but unsure and unable to be and balance out both sides of her personality...? Yup, sounds about right to me and something that I think will be a struggle until, like Ang, it finally clicks for her towards the end of this series.
Flag
wow, if the show's going there, that is a fantastic plan :)
hope you're right, I'd love to see that
Flag
I'm thinking that everything is going to slow down very soon. The fact that Korra is already leaving Republic City is a huge sigh of relief from me, but it highlights how quickly everything is moving. But I'd imagine that that's not gonna be sustained for the entire Book.

Also, maybe I'm just not looking at the right things, but if I didn't know the animation was different, I don't think I'd notice it. Can someone fill me in on some examples of the bad style?
Flag
An example of bad animation i found really funny was when Varrick and Korra sat down to talk to the President of Republic City. They drew him in the same pose with no muscle animation, barely any mouth movement even, for several scenes until he sighs in the last.
Flag
I actually thoroughly enjoyed this episode.
But then again I've had a low opinion of the show for a long time, so the improvements in pacing and all the story developments this episode were a treat. Indeed Korra is still being self-absorbed and kind of a dumbass but this is the first episode where someone lashed back at her directly.

note: Mako had ichigo's face during the brake-up scene. At least the ending fight looked awesome, otherwise I was on the floor laughing when we got Republic city President talking in the exact same pose for 3 separate scenes.

And I don’t care. I love Varrick more than anything else in Korra, even though my thoughts of him went from,
- in the start: omg, he did everything on the “good guys” part of the plot so far (started the civil war bandwagon, got Korra gang out of the south, made all the plans)
- to: he’s influencing everyone so he can make as much profit of off the war.
Flag
It seems that Korra is lost...and have no idea how to solve the problem...Mako is right about her...with every attempt, she is making things worse...and i don't know, she is so much more different tha the original airbender....In the first season, she seemed more focused...now she is all over the place....
the animation part was very poor i thought by the break up part...the face of Mako, was very weird...
Flag
You know what, I don't care if Lin looked different, I am just happy she's back!
Flag
the writing hasn't been as good as book 1 and it does not compare at all to Avatar the last airbender because face it, aang had his stupid kid moments and katara... boy she had her share of super righteous moments BUT I think I could have forgiven that if it didn't look so crappy. I mean yeah sure you could argue the writing suffered a bit because it was rushed but... damn. Even Kyoshi was a better female avatar. There's a difference between fierce and a farce.
Flag
1."Peacekeepers" looked terrible! Where are the freaking details of characters faces, Pierrot?!

2. IMO Lin didn't look like Lin at all.

3. I for one love Korra as a character. She's a teenager who is trying to rescue her people and no one wants to help her. If I were her I would be raving like a mad too.

4. I hope you will rot in hell Mako!!! To all guys here - Don't stab you GF in the back like that! If you want to break up with her - do it, but DO NOT BETRAY HER.

5. I had no idea Nick ordered book 3 and 4 - that's great news!

Thanks for review Noel. I can't wait for Studio Mir to return to the show.
Flag
Whoa! Easy on the Mako hatred! I'm on his side in this one. His actions weren't motivated by him wanting to break up with her at all. She's starting a civil war, leaping to conclusions about the bombing, and then going behind the President's back to poach troops to participate in said war. That's a whole lot of destructive behavior, that impacts a whole lot of people. I think Mako felt it was his duty to serve the greater good, and to stop Korra from making a big mistake.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Books 3 and 4 were ordered last July, and each will be 13 episodes/chapters long.
Flag
I have no idea how that slipped my mind. Thanks for reminder!
Flag
It might be that the badly paced narrative and mediocre animation pull my general perception of the show too much into the negative, but am I the only one feels the writing isn´t as smart as it was, either? There is no nuance to it, no real smarts.

(Though the line at the rally where some northern protester yelled "Get a real dog!" was hillarious. That actually reminded me so much of classic Avatar writing, the problems in the rest of the episode became apparent.)
Flag
Is that what the protester said? I thought he shouted "Get a real job!" and not "dog."
Flag
You mean I wasn't the only one who noticed the animation was crap ?
Flag
So Team Avatar is officially split up, again: Brilliant.

I sort of get it, they want Korra to be so mad at her uncle and the Northern tribe that she looses perspective, but seriously, hasn't she lost perspective enough this series?

Hopefully *spoiler* being eaten by the dark spirit might get her into the spirit world *spoiler* (newsflash: this is supposed to be a spirit book, and until that point the last time we ever saw a spirit was in chapter 2.)

Unalaq reveals he DOES need the Avatar, so what was the point in saying he didn't last week?

So Korra is on her way to the fire nation, Mako's being internally interrupted in investigating the triad attack. Asami is selling mecha-tanks to the south, and Bolin is playing the lead role in some stupid water-tribe propaganda. Would it kill the writers to have Bolin do something useful?! (Something that could show off he still is a pretty good Earthbender)

But weirdly despite everything that's frustrated me I still like this show, maybe it's because we're not exactly spoiled for choice of late, or because book 1 vested my interest, or because Avatar: The Last Airbender was so good.
More+
Flag
on the Unalaq thing I think it's to show that that's how most of the "teachers/father figures" in her life are interacting with her, only giving her the info they think she should have, with the justification being to "help her make the right choice". To some degree it's a similar theme to Aang and the high priests of the Air Nomads (100+ years prior) deciding that they are the teachers and what they say goes, pupil should listen etc. something that this ep actually showed parallels to with the lemur training
Even the one who seemed to trust her and not just order her about ultimately fell back on the same things we've seen many teachers in both Avatar series do, when the pupil's opinions differed from that of the instructor.
Now that I think about it it's a fairly strong theme throughout both series (esp if you count Fire Lord Ozai and Zuko in this)
Flag
You make a valid argument, but it doesn't excuse the problems of this episode (I still think it's the best action show that's still running, but it doesn't have that much decent competition these days)
Flag
thanks and yeah I miss all the great toons we've lost recently and wish there was even one other toon show as good as/better than this on now :( [might even be as you said that it's the best action show, including non-toons, I'll have to think on that]
That said, I probably like this show more than most, and I really liked last season (despite how sadly 1-dimensional the brothers were) but I too find this season has so far been the least strong of the franchise. Hope that changes soon (I get the feeling it's a bit like T:SCC was b4 S2 finale and unfortunate cancellation; they have lots of stuff they want to build up to, but they've been unable to make the build up as interesting as they've done in the past)
Flag
Flag
I think it's frustrating because Aang grew with every episode. Whether it was his powers, or his connection to the spirit world, or his understanding of what it meant to be the Avatar. Korra's so incredibly stagnant. Also I'm kind of sad the writer's went with the crazy Azula angle for Eska instead of giving her room to grow as well.

On the other hand Lin impresses me more and more each week as a character. She definitely said my favorite line in the episode, "You should've seen air temple island after Tenzin broke up with me."
Flag
Well, I think comparing Aang's development to Korra's is a bit of a mismatch. Aang didn't receive constant emphasis on his development as a character as the show had lots of room for just "New adventure town!" episodes that didn't add much, but were still fun. I think it also marks the difference in structure and serialization between the two shows, and our expectations of what comes with those changes.

So Aang's development was a bit more spread out -- to me, anyway -- than Korra's has been. And even then Aang took three seasons to get over his running away issues. Even at the midpoint in Season 3, he's still the same kid who ran away from an air temple and got frozen in an iceberg. He'd always bounce back, yes, but I do sometimes wonder if we were talking about A:TLA in today's context, if we'd be complaining about Aang throwing himself avoidance/pity parties in "Bitter Work" or "The Western Air Temple."
Flag
fantastic points, I've been thinking since the start of this show that a large problem is people setting their expectations too high (to the point where as you say, the past series wouldn't be able to measure up either) and/or hating things simply because they're different than in Aang's story, which well it seems silly to me to want the world of Avatar to stay the same, it should change and if it didn't we'd just be watching Aang's journey the redux.
And, to play devil's advocate, it does feel like any of the issues with story people have are more to do with how compact the semi-stand-alone season format is making the show and the rushed production that has also given us the awful animation on display in this ep rather than being as simple as just "bad writing".
Think it's too much to hope that, with 2 more seasons ordered up already, these issues will start to wane? (at least in future seasons)
Flag
Sure people comparing Korra to Aang can be annoying, but lets be careful not to lump everyone into a certain category. I said I was frustrated with Korra, not that I hated the series because it's not like the original. I used Aang as an example but really in any series characters grow over time, no matter who the character is. It remains frustrating when characters don't give much indication that they're learning anything from their experiences (e.g. Ted from HIMYM). The last time Korra really showed character development was when she was moving like an airbender during the Bending Pro Championship.

On the other hand, I like how the writers are handling her bullheadedness. Aang had a hard time accepting his destiny as the Avatar, so any time he went into the Avatar state it was a defining moment for him. Since Korra seems just fine accepting her powers it's nice to show that going into that state doesn't solve all her problems. I like Korra, which is why I think it'll be good for her character development when something finally knocks her on her butt.
Flag
no worries :) my reply was directed at noelrk and speaking generally about all the negative opinions people have voiced about Korra (the show and character) since the show's beginning, though I do agree with what he said and in fact I mostly agree with what you've said. Going back to your first post I particularly agree on the opinions you've voiced on Lin and Eska (frankly, I think, both the new twins and Mako and Bolin [esp in 1st season] have been rather flat characters compared to the rest of the cast, [in each case they're trying to make them like a character from Aang's story, but w/o imho something of what made those characters work; they'd actually said Mako was to be Zuko w/o the angst, and so far (logically following from that assertion it seems that) Bolin's kinda Sokka w/o the wit, and as you say Eska's now crazy-end-of-1st-series Azula w/o the build-up/backstory/motivation and well her brother is just kind of a non-character so far, so at least to me they've fallen a bit flat so far] though perhaps Mako's getting some development now?)
Though overall Korra's development has seemed (to me) to be very natural and make sense story-wise, actually I've seen tons of "growth" over both seasons. But it is certainly different from Aang, for one thing he didn't have to navigate politics nearly this much, Korra's had to deal w/a steep learning curve in that regard and while she's certainly not skilled at politics, she has been learning and developing by the experience. This season those political issues that are part of this world hit closer to home, literally and figuratively. So while she's being more reactive in places where she should know better, it makes sense in context that, while she showed she's learned to turn the other cheek and not try to force protesters to back down w/threats, she'd fall back on that when her family is threatened. And really as much as there is tons of just "growing up" she certainly needs to do and the onus is ultimately on her to do so, we've seen that while each of her "teachers" have certainly been competent at what they try to teach her, they all fall back on the "do as I say" rather quickly, so of course any student would be reactionary in the extreme, as we've seen she can be
More +
Flag
Yes. This.

Korra was intentionally designed to be antithetical towards Aang in regards to both disposition and behavior. It's exceedingly palpable just from watching Korra's actions retrospectively compared to Aang's. For example, Aang was, for the most part, a goofy and tractable twelve-year-old boy still grasping the idea of puberty; Korra is essentially at the crux of young-adulthood (being seventeen), therefore, she's naturally going to be very emotional and fickle--especially as it appertains to personal and professional matters of global importance. I'm indifferent towards Korra as a character, but I feel like the writers are doing the best they can with her temperament.

The main distinction between Aang and Korra is the level of expectations between the two. Aang was able to travel around most of the world undetected because people assumed he had either died, or was in hiding. Korra doesn't have the same luxury as she's not only acknowledged for who she is, but also expected to properly handle whatever cultural issues may arise. Aang gradually learned to deal with the weight of the world on his shoulders, but for a while, he could breeze through each day without any major concerns.
Flag
So excited for Mir to return. Episode was good overall. Korra has been a pain this season. Hopefully once she goes through her spiritual journey with Jinora, she will learn what it means to be Avatar and become more level-headed, but I'm definitely excited for that part of the season.
Flag
Flag
Really? A menstrual cycle "joke"?
Flag
yeah, are we aloud to flag such non-humor when it's actually offensive?
Flag
I definitely agree that Korra's failing miserably at having a point and that Korra herself is failing at any sort of growth, punishment or movement. This was an incredibly stagnant episode. Very little happened, even with Tenzin. The pacing was marginally better, but only just. If things don't clean themselves up soon, I don't think Books 3 or 4 are going to stay on the table.
Flag
I can't stand the animation, seeing Lin again just outlined how bad it's gotten, her face used to be angular, rigid, and defined, now it's just two circles for her eyes, a circle for her head, and a line for her mouth. It's a fucking crime going from such breathtaking animation in season one to this mediocrity in season two, not to mention distracting.
Flag
She definitely looked off to me too. But, is it my imagination, did she sound different too??
Flag
Follow this Show
Members