The Legend of Korra Forums

Friday 8:00 PM on NickelodeonIn Season

Book 3 Pre-Season Discussion

  • Avatar of Fourarms10

    Fourarms10

    [21]Dec 22, 2013
    • member since: 04/03/08
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 1,297
    @Raizen Very true. And the only Reason Wan and Korra could bend 4 elements w/o Raava was because when a spirit merges with a human, he/she gains some of its properties.

    @Kwando Yea at least two elements. Just hopefully none of them is waterbending. We've seen enough of overpowered waterbenders.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of starfish98

    starfish98

    [22]Dec 22, 2013
    • member since: 09/15/07
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 672

    Hmm... why am I lurking this forum? I haven't even seen half of season 2 xD

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Fourarms10

    Fourarms10

    [23]Jan 10, 2014
    • member since: 04/03/08
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 1,297
    starfish98 wrote:

    Hmm... why am I lurking this forum? I haven't even seen half of season 2 xD

    Because you're a fan of the Avatar.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [24]Jan 10, 2014
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,468
    Fourarms10 wrote:
    @Raizen Very true. And the only Reason Wan and Korra could bend 4 elements w/o Raava was because when a spirit merges with a human, he/she gains some of its properties.

    @Kwando Yea at least two elements. Just hopefully none of them is waterbending. We've seen enough of overpowered waterbenders.
    Actually, when Korra was separated from Rava, I don't think she was able to use anything but water and then she became a giant energy being.

    As for a new villain, I think we need an earthbender villain. Obviously the fire was the main threat in the first series and water for this first 2 books. Time to get someone new. Would be good if maybe they can get a lion turtle to give some people airbending than to wait ~20yrs for tenzin's kids to grow up and have their own children.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mosk915

    Mosk915

    [25]Jan 10, 2014
    • member since: 06/17/12
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 23

    MajLorne wrote:
    Fourarms10 wrote:
    @Raizen Very true. And the only Reason Wan and Korra could bend 4 elements w/o Raava was because when a spirit merges with a human, he/she gains some of its properties. @Kwando Yea at least two elements. Just hopefully none of them is waterbending. We've seen enough of overpowered waterbenders.
    Actually, when Korra was separated from Rava, I don't think she was able to use anything but water and then she became a giant energy being. As for a new villain, I think we need an earthbender villain. Obviously the fire was the main threat in the first series and water for this first 2 books. Time to get someone new. Would be good if maybe they can get a lion turtle to give some people airbending than to wait ~20yrs for tenzin's kids to grow up and have their own children.



    The lion turtles that gave elements to people were all hunted and killed. The only one left is the one that gave energybending to Aang. It seems that each lion turtle is only capable of giving certain abilities to people so I don't think the only existing lion turtle would be able to give anyone airbending.



    An earthbending villian would be cool although there was the Dai Lei in the first series. I think it would be interesting to have a true non-bender as a villian (since Amon was actually a waterbender).

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [26]Jan 11, 2014
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,468

    Oic. I guess i forgot about that about the other lion turtles being killed off.


    Yeah, i know what you mean about the dai lei, but they were like soldiers or body guards for their leader. What they need is a villain that is a master earth bender. Heck why not make it a girl and be sorta like an anti toph. (Similar skills, but evil/contrary goals to the avatar.) Korra should fight another girl the way katara fought azula. catfight anyone?


    as for a non powered villain, they'd probably need to use some sort of tech like the mecha tanks or such, but i dont think it would be 'splashy' enough. Yes i know the end of book 1 was sorta anticlimatic with korra airkicking amon into the water and amon using his waterbending to escape and no element fight. Even though book 1 and 2 are different seasons, i consider it one because they both make up 26 eps total.

    Edited on 01/11/2014 3:48pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [27]Jan 12, 2014
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,080

    I think book 1 and book 2 are considered one whole season. Tv.com at least numbers the episodes as one season. I wouldn't mind another earth bender villain. The Dai Li were some of the best villains in the original series. I don't know if they can do anything completely new in terms of benders. We've covered fire, earth, water, and non-bending villains between both A: TLA and LoK.That just leaves air, but the creators stuck to their guns on Aang being the last human air bender before he and Katara had Tenzin. I think it is unlikely we'll get an air bending villain in this series.


    I didn't reallyhave a problem withhaving another water bender antagonist in book 2. I was surprised so many people were upset over it to be honest. Themain villains inA: TLA were fire benders, so most of the antagonists we met were fire benders or from theFire Nation and it worked.AmonandUnalaq's methods, lieutenants, and minions were different enough that them being water benders didn't feel like a rehash.As long as the next book makes the antagonists threatening, havemotive, a good plan, and make us think they could win I'mfine whoever or whatever they are. I would good with an Anti-Team Avatar group, made up of water bender, earth bender, fire bender, and non bender to serve as evil counterparts to our heroes as long as they are built up as a genuine threat andtheir plan is sound.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mosk915

    Mosk915

    [28]Jan 13, 2014
    • member since: 06/17/12
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 23

    I think the reason TV.com lists book 1 and 2 as one season is because seasons are generally 20 something episodes and that's how Nickelodeon is producing it. On paper they may be one season but for all intents and purposes, each book was intended by the creators to have a separate story arc.



    I like the idea of having a female antagonist in book 3. Maybe also someone younger. I always thought that Zuko and Azula made more interesting villains than some of the adult characters.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [29]Jan 14, 2014
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,080

    I thinkyour likingof Zuko and Azula more than adult villains is due to their backgrounds, threat level,and characterization than their age. Really most of the other villains in the original were pretty one-dimensional. Zhao for instance just wanted glory and wasn't a great fire bender. He is easily forgettable villain when compared to Zuko and Azula. Long Feng was a fun and intriguing villain, but unfortunately his motives, characterization, and threat came to an end abruptly and his potential never fully realized. Ozai was generic with his character being the background most of the series. Combustion Man was just a generic hit man they didn't even bother to develop. It's not surprising people found Zuko and Azula more interesting than the adult villains.


    More teenage villains could be fun though. I liked Korra's cousins andwish they got more screen time, but understand their limitedtime on screen with all the characters the season had to juggle.I'm hoping Verrick is a major antagonist in book 3. His weapons dealing gives him potential to be a big player if he wishes to be one. Someonewho built a jail in case he was caught could have loyal people still withinhis company that could run the day to day operations and give him access to his resources andwealth.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Fourarms10

    Fourarms10

    [30]Jan 14, 2014
    • member since: 04/03/08
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 1,297
    RaizenYusuke wrote:

    I thinkyour likingof Zuko and Azula more than adult villains is due to their backgrounds, threat level,and characterization than their age. Really most of the other villains in the original were pretty one-dimensional. Zhao for instance just wanted glory and wasn't a great fire bender. He is easily forgettable villain when compared to Zuko and Azula. Long Feng was a fun and intriguing villain, but unfortunately his motives, characterization, and threat came to an end abruptly and his potential never fully realized. Ozai was generic with his character being the background most of the series. Combustion Man was just a generic hit man they didn't even bother to develop. It's not surprising people found Zuko and Azula more interesting than the adult villains.


    More teenage villains could be fun though. I liked Korra's cousins andwish they got more screen time, but understand their limitedtime on screen with all the characters the season had to juggle.I'm hoping Verrick is a major antagonist in book 3. His weapons dealing gives him potential to be a big player if he wishes to be one. Someonewho built a jail in case he was caught could have loyal people still withinhis company that could run the day to day operations and give him access to his resources andwealth.

    Varrick might not be a major villain, but I do think he'll be a nuisance for Team Avatar or something. A female waterbending villain won't be too bad unless they decided to add some gamebreaking waterbending ability. I know it's the element of change, but I was at least hoping the spirit thing Unalaq did was to be an Airbending thing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [31]Jan 14, 2014
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,080

    Fourarms10 wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:


    I thinkyour likingof Zuko and Azula more than adult villains is due to their backgrounds, threat level,and characterization than their age. Really most of the other villains in the original were pretty one-dimensional. Zhao for instance just wanted glory and wasn't a great fire bender. He is easily forgettable villain when compared to Zuko and Azula. Long Feng was a fun and intriguing villain, but unfortunately his motives, characterization, and threat came to an end abruptly and his potential never fully realized. Ozai was generic with his character being the background most of the series. Combustion Man was just a generic hit man they didn't even bother to develop. It's not surprising people found Zuko and Azula more interesting than the adult villains.


    More teenage villains could be fun though. I liked Korra's cousins andwish they got more screen time, but understand their limitedtime on screen with all the characters the season had to juggle.I'm hoping Verrick is a major antagonist in book 3. His weapons dealing gives him potential to be a big player if he wishes to be one. Someonewho built a jail in case he was caught could have loyal people still withinhis company that could run the day to day operations and give him access to his resources andwealth.


    Varrick might not be a major villain, but I do think he'll be a nuisance for Team Avatar or something. A female waterbending villain won't be too bad unless they decided to add some gamebreaking waterbending ability. I know it's the element of change, but I was at least hoping the spirit thing Unalaq did was to be an Airbending thing.
    Keep in mind that every nation had their own spirituality and practices. The Air Nomads were the most spiritual in tune culture of the four it wasn't the only one. I don't think Unalaq's technique was so much as game breaker water bending power, but rather their branch of spiritual techniques. Each nation most likely has their own. One of the Fire Sages was able to purge the darkness from Korra with their fire bending, which was probably their branch of spiritual technique.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Fourarms10

    Fourarms10

    [32]Jan 16, 2014
    • member since: 04/03/08
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 1,297
    RaizenYusuke wrote:

    Fourarms10 wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:


    I thinkyour likingof Zuko and Azula more than adult villains is due to their backgrounds, threat level,and characterization than their age. Really most of the other villains in the original were pretty one-dimensional. Zhao for instance just wanted glory and wasn't a great fire bender. He is easily forgettable villain when compared to Zuko and Azula. Long Feng was a fun and intriguing villain, but unfortunately his motives, characterization, and threat came to an end abruptly and his potential never fully realized. Ozai was generic with his character being the background most of the series. Combustion Man was just a generic hit man they didn't even bother to develop. It's not surprising people found Zuko and Azula more interesting than the adult villains.


    More teenage villains could be fun though. I liked Korra's cousins andwish they got more screen time, but understand their limitedtime on screen with all the characters the season had to juggle.I'm hoping Verrick is a major antagonist in book 3. His weapons dealing gives him potential to be a big player if he wishes to be one. Someonewho built a jail in case he was caught could have loyal people still withinhis company that could run the day to day operations and give him access to his resources andwealth.


    Varrick might not be a major villain, but I do think he'll be a nuisance for Team Avatar or something. A female waterbending villain won't be too bad unless they decided to add some gamebreaking waterbending ability. I know it's the element of change, but I was at least hoping the spirit thing Unalaq did was to be an Airbending thing.
    Keep in mind that every nation had their own spirituality and practices. The Air Nomads were the most spiritual in tune culture of the four it wasn't the only one. I don't think Unalaq's technique was so much as game breaker water bending power, but rather their branch of spiritual techniques. Each nation most likely has their own. One of the Fire Sages was able to purge the darkness from Korra with their fire bending, which was probably their branch of spiritual technique.

    I guess that spirit cleansing thing Tenzin did was the Air version. I wonder what the Earth version would be. Maybe a female waterbender working side by side with an earthbending villain would be nice.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MsOrange1

    MsOrange1

    [33]Mar 12, 2014
    • member since: 01/26/14
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 32

    Hopefully more on Mako and Bolin's past.


    Or Asami visiting her father in prison at some point.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SPDShadowRanger

    SPDShadowRanger

    [34]May 28, 2014
    • member since: 06/13/05
    • level: 72
    • rank: Happy Little Tree
    • posts: 9,110
    No word on airdates or anything, but Studio Mir finished animating Book 3 about two or three weeks ago.

    THe first two episodes are called "A Breath of Fresh Air" and "Rebirth"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kwando7

    Kwando7

    [35]Jun 6, 2014
    • member since: 11/28/08
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 2,566

    Heard that they finished the production of the third season. Just have to wait for them to give the green flag

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SPDShadowRanger

    SPDShadowRanger

    [36]Jun 7, 2014
    • member since: 06/13/05
    • level: 72
    • rank: Happy Little Tree
    • posts: 9,110

    Known titles:


    201 - A Breath of Fresh Air


    202 - Rebirth


    203 - The Earth Queen


    204 - In Harm's Way


    205 - The Metal Clan


    206 - Old Wounds



    And if you follow this link, you will see some purdy pics from upcoming episodes including Ba Sing Se.....and Zuko Laughing

    Edited on 06/07/2014 9:22pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [37]Jun 8, 2014
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,080
    I'm surprised Zuko is appearing in the next book. I was expecting him to appear in the last book to parallel to how they kept Ozai's face hidden until the final book of A: TLA. It looks promising, but I wonder how the villains for Book 3 is going to live up to Amon and Vatuu.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kwando7

    Kwando7

    [38]Jun 12, 2014
    • member since: 11/28/08
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 2,566

    First shot of book 3


    http://cheezburger.com/61741569



    ***SPOILER***



    There was a shot with someone with a combustion tattoo

    Edited on 06/12/2014 9:20pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [39]Jun 13, 2014
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,080

    OMG, I am so hyped for the next book now. I was worried this might not be able to live up to Vatuu and Raava/Avatar origins of the last book, but this new twist has gotten me on the edge of my seat.



    ***SPOILER***



    I didn't see Bolin, Mako, and Asami in there much, but when I did they looked like they had some significant roles. I hope this means they have more significant roles in this arc than they did the last one.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SPDShadowRanger

    SPDShadowRanger

    [40]Jun 14, 2014
    • member since: 06/13/05
    • level: 72
    • rank: Happy Little Tree
    • posts: 9,110
    Either some Airbenders just never came out of hiding until recently or Harmonic Convergence caused a shift.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.