The Legend of Korra Forums

Friday 8:00 PM on NickelodeonIn Season

Official Book 2: Spirits Discussion Thread

  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [21]Sep 28, 2013
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,088
    I think Tenzin feels since he was the only actual air bender that even if Bumi and Kya had air bender kits he would ultimately have to teach them air bending anyway. It still falls on him. After seeing Civil War 2 it seems obvious that despite his mistakes that they do have good memories of Aang. The family picture and Kya knowing Aang well enough to reassure Bumi he was proud of him.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Fourarms10

    Fourarms10

    [22]Sep 29, 2013
    • member since: 04/03/08
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 1,297
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    I think Tenzin feels since he was the only actual air bender that even if Bumi and Kya had air bender kits he would ultimately have to teach them air bending anyway. It still falls on him. After seeing Civil War 2 it seems obvious that despite his mistakes that they do have good memories of Aang. The family picture and Kya knowing Aang well enough to reassure Bumi he was proud of him.
    There's that. Something tells me that Jinora might master Airbending soon. She might actually master it faster than Aang did. As of now, she's still 10 (11 at oldest). Though what is kinda creepy is that the Air Acolytes seem to see Tenzin as a trophy and Pema as a breeding tool.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [23]Sep 30, 2013
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,473
    Well can't really blame them. The air benders are still just a handful and will take more generations to become even a small town's worth.
    On the genetics thing, I mean it is possible that Bumi and kya may have an airbender gene (I wonder if there were interbender relationships? as in the previous series it was confined to their own nations.) And like others said, you either have the ability or you don't, but you can only have one ability as only the avatar can master all 4 elements. But I don't think Aang had the luxury to wait for his other two kids to have their families and Tenzin was born, so someone has to teach him how to airbend. And who knows, maybe the whole aang favored tenzin thing is to make Aang seem less perfect.

    As for the show, I love the Eska-Bolin 'relationship'. It's become much funnier than I expected it to be. And then the end of civil wars pt2 reminded me of that movie (lame btw, good premise, but bad ending) 'my super ex-girlfriend'. She's definitely not the type to piss off. poor Bolin.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Fourarms10

    Fourarms10

    [24]Sep 30, 2013
    • member since: 04/03/08
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 1,297
    MajLorne wrote:
    Well can't really blame them. The air benders are still just a handful and will take more generations to become even a small town's worth.
    On the genetics thing, I mean it is possible that Bumi and kya may have an airbender gene (I wonder if there were interbender relationships? as in the previous series it was confined to their own nations.) And like others said, you either have the ability or you don't, but you can only have one ability as only the avatar can master all 4 elements. But I don't think Aang had the luxury to wait for his other two kids to have their families and Tenzin was born, so someone has to teach him how to airbend. And who knows, maybe the whole aang favored tenzin thing is to make Aang seem less perfect.

    As for the show, I love the Eska-Bolin 'relationship'. It's become much funnier than I expected it to be. And then the end of civil wars pt2 reminded me of that movie (lame btw, good premise, but bad ending) 'my super ex-girlfriend'. She's definitely not the type to piss off. poor Bolin.
    I'm sure it was. Aang has already shown that he's not a perfect Avatar. Would you think Eska's and Bolin's relationship is funny if the genders were switched?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [25]Oct 1, 2013
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,088

    If the genders were reversed I think it wouldn't be played for comedy at all. I've seen it played for comedy on certain shows or networks, but it sometimes comes as black comedy and Nick probably wouldn't let them play boyfriend abusing his girlfriend for comedy for fear of fan backlash.


    I'm not sure if Jinora will master air bending yet, but from previews from upcoming episode it does appear she is making a connection to the Spirit World. My prediction is the next few episodes will showcase her story arc of traveling to the Spirit Worldthen teach Korra how to become more in tune with her spirituality. I hope she meets Aang's spirit and he helps her get back home. It would be sweet to see Jinora finally meet her grandfather.Itcould even doubleheat warming factor by having Aang ask her to rely a message to Bumi and Kya on he is proud and loved them and apologize for not being there so much in their lives.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Fourarms10

    Fourarms10

    [26]Oct 1, 2013
    • member since: 04/03/08
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 1,297
    RaizenYusuke wrote:

    If the genders were reversed I think it wouldn't be played for comedy at all. I've seen it played for comedy on certain shows or networks, but it sometimes comes as black comedy and Nick probably wouldn't let them play boyfriend abusing his girlfriend for comedy for fear of fan backlash.


    I'm not sure if Jinora will master air bending yet, but from previews from upcoming episode it does appear she is making a connection to the Spirit World. My prediction is the next few episodes will showcase her story arc of traveling to the Spirit Worldthen teach Korra how to become more in tune with her spirituality. I hope she meets Aang's spirit and he helps her get back home. It would be sweet to see Jinora finally meet her grandfather.Itcould even doubleheat warming factor by having Aang ask her to rely a message to Bumi and Kya on he is proud and loved them and apologize for not being there so much in their lives.

    Oh believe me, many people on the AvatarSpirit Forums are already annoyed at the way they portray Boleska/Eskabo.

    This. Just this. It'd be a nice take back to Zuko Alone if they name it "Jinora Alone" or "Jinora and Aang"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [27]Oct 4, 2013
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,088
    What's up with Nick not re-airing previous book 2 episodes on the weekend? I know Nicktoons airs the repeats a few times on the weekend, but not main Nick channel that more people are likely to have. I feel like one airing deal is going hurt ratings and affect the future of the series.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Fourarms10

    Fourarms10

    [28]Oct 4, 2013
    • member since: 04/03/08
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 1,297

    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    What's up with Nick not re-airing previous book 2 episodes on the weekend? I know Nicktoons airs the repeats a few times on the weekend, but not main Nick channel that more people are likely to have. I feel like one airing deal is going hurt ratings and affect the future of the series.
    Do they do this with Ben 10 as well? I'm still thinking it's because Korra's a girl. They were going to cancel the show during Book 1's production because Korra was a girl, but it was because of the viewers, they decided to resume. I don't see the problem with the main hero being a girl (especially if she's hot). What I'd like to see is more Asami *whistle* *whistle*

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SPDShadowRanger

    SPDShadowRanger

    [29]Oct 4, 2013
    • member since: 06/13/05
    • level: 72
    • rank: Happy Little Tree
    • posts: 9,110
    The show was renewed before it even aired. And there is no need to worry about the fate of the show. Nickelodeon has already green-lit 52 episodes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [30]Oct 5, 2013
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,088
    I liked seeing Mako role in Peacekeepers. It gave him back his spark and made him more than just Korra's boyfriend this episode. I didn't really see him being in the wrong telling the president about Korra's plan. Iroh II an Korra have their hearts in the right place, but forcing the Republic into a war without the president's consent is wrong. I see the president's point in not getting involved in another nation's civil war and try for the peaceful negotiation first. But I also see Korra's point too. I hope they don't demonize the president just because he doesn't want to send troops to the Southern Water Tribe. Both sides have merit to it, so it would be nice to see that both Korra and the president's argument not have it end with Korra's right and the presidents a ineffective and corrupt leader for not wanting to help the SWT.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Fourarms10

    Fourarms10

    [31]Oct 6, 2013
    • member since: 04/03/08
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 1,297
    Can you believe that we were THIS close in to seeing the Firelord, Zuko, AND the Fire Nation? I think this is another case of "Trolling Creator". Here's hoping they do show this season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SPDShadowRanger

    SPDShadowRanger

    [32]Oct 6, 2013
    • member since: 06/13/05
    • level: 72
    • rank: Happy Little Tree
    • posts: 9,110
    It won't be for a few episodes at least. Next week will obviously revolve around Korra trying to save herself, and after that is the two part Avatar origin episode.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [33]Oct 7, 2013
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,088
    I'm not that disappointed we have to wait for Zuko's daughter and him to show up to be honest. I'm more interested in Mako, Bolin, Asami, and Jinora stories. I think or at least hope that Bolin's story will pay off. His friendship with Verick and breakup with Eske is doing a good job in distancing himself from Mako and forcing him to find his own voice/strength. By the end of the book he'll realize he doesn't need Mako as much as he used to and finally become a vital part of Team Avatar in his own way, maybe properly breakup with Eske on his own to signify that. I expected Jinora's story to have been followed up by now though. It looks like it won't be touched until the first Avatar two part episode airs.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [34]Oct 7, 2013
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,473
    I will say this: they've been doing more character episodes, so they've addressed the issues from season 1. As for the future of the show, I think Nick respects their shows more than say CN (letting thundercats and Young justice get canned due to low ratings or airing on the wrong timeslot: saturday mornings). I was a bit surprised the crew expected only 12 eps as it seems like a waste to set up all the characters only to just end on 12 eps or even the standard 26eps. So the fact Nick wants the whole 52 eps is a great thing.

    Lol Lin commenting how she took her breakup with Tenzin and Mako getting it easy with Korra. I'd like to see Asami do a little more as well. Sure she's trying to keep her company afloat, but she hasn't really done much other than fly a plane and use the metal glove.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [35]Oct 7, 2013
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,088
    The summary I read for the next episode mentions Mako investigating Triad because they're threatening Future Industries. We might get good story for Mako and Asami.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Fourarms10

    Fourarms10

    [36]Oct 9, 2013
    • member since: 04/03/08
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 1,297
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    The summary I read for the next episode mentions Mako investigating Triad because they're threatening Future Industries. We might get good story for Mako and Asami.
    Maybe we'll finally meet our Waterbender named "A Firebender" who keeps killing parents.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of teenj12

    teenj12

    [37]Oct 10, 2013
    • member since: 07/17/10
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 5,168
    Very glad that the next episode will focus on Mako. He's really becoming more than the Avatar's love interest this season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Fourarms10

    Fourarms10

    [38]Oct 12, 2013
    • member since: 04/03/08
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 1,297
    So much packed into one episode. I like how each character had his/her own story to deal with. But that Masmi kiss was unnecessary. So how about that Fire Nation huh? Sure we didn't see the capital or the other cities and towns, but we at least got to see the surrounding area.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of teenj12

    teenj12

    [39]Oct 12, 2013
    • member since: 07/17/10
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 5,168
    The Sting was probably the best episode of Season 2 and honestly the most TLA-esque episode of the entire show and what's funny is that Korra's not in the entirety of it. Honestly, this episode gave the other members of Team Avatar time to shine AT LAST. Masami had some kickass chemistry that sort of got me to ship them again. So much better than their chemistry in S1. I didn't see the kiss as unnecessary, it defined the final breaking point for Asami. Besides, you can't expect that she would TOTALLY be over Mako after their break up was left pretty open ended. It was clear that she still had feelings for him. Aside from the kiss, this episode tightened the bonds between Mako and Asami and finally gave Asami someone else on Team Avatar to be close to. The action scene was pretty intense, I liked it, evn if the animation wasn't the greatest. The Varrick reveal was something I saw coming...something everyone saw coming, but the convection of it was GREAT. Unlike Unalaq. Meanwhile, Bolin has definitely got his head up his *** . Also, not sure I like the idea of "Movers". Stop rushing the technological development of the Avatarverse, Bryke. I've never been one to complain about the technological advances in Korra, but to have motion/moving picture at this point is one step away from the internet and cell phones. I just want more of the mythical and spiritual vibe of the first show, which I thought this season, called SPIRITS could provide.

    Korra having amnesia was funny. Can't wait to see where this goes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of WicthBalder

    WicthBalder

    [40]Oct 12, 2013
    • member since: 12/01/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 167
    teenj12 wrote:
    The Sting was probably the best episode of Season 2 and honestly the most TLA-esque episode of the entire show and what's funny is that Korra's not in the entirety of it. Honestly, this episode gave the other members of Team Avatar time to shine AT LAST. Masami had some kickass chemistry that sort of got me to ship them again. So much better than their chemistry in S1. I didn't see the kiss as unnecessary, it defined the final breaking point for Asami. Besides, you can't expect that she would TOTALLY be over Mako after their break up was left pretty open ended. It was clear that she still had feelings for him. Aside from the kiss, this episode tightened the bonds between Mako and Asami and finally gave Asami someone else on Team Avatar to be close to. The action scene was pretty intense, I liked it, evn if the animation wasn't the greatest. The Varrick reveal was something I saw coming...something everyone saw coming, but the convection of it was GREAT. Unlike Unalaq. Meanwhile, Bolin has definitely got his head up his *** . Also, not sure I like the idea of "Movers". Stop rushing the technological development of the Avatarverse, Bryke. I've never been one to complain about the technological advances in Korra, but to have motion/moving picture at this point is one step away from the internet and cell phones. I just want more of the mythical and spiritual vibe of the first show, which I thought this season, called SPIRITS could provide.

    Korra having amnesia was funny. Can't wait to see where this goes.


    I didn't see this coming. Varrick as the bad guy. i knew this show would portray him as an eccentric business man but not a manipulative villain. When Unalaq first showed up, we weren't shocked that it was revealed that he would be the antagonist due to his elitist attitude, but Varrick shocked me with his reveal because he was subtle.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.