The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Official Book 3: Change Discussion Thread

  • Avatar of SPDShadowRanger

    SPDShadowRanger

    [1]Jun 27, 2014
    • member since: 06/13/05
    • level: 72
    • rank: Happy Little Tree
    • posts: 9,110

    Change has arrived! Discuss Book 3 in this thread.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kwando7

    Kwando7

    [2]Jun 27, 2014
    • member since: 11/28/08
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,634

    Now I want more.


    Waterbender's a little freaking having no arms. Hope its revealed why

    Edited on 06/27/2014 10:46pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jegolas1973

    jegolas1973

    [3]Jun 28, 2014
    • member since: 06/14/09
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 3,359

    Zuko finally makes his appearance for the first time in the entire series!!!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SPDShadowRanger

    SPDShadowRanger

    [4]Jun 29, 2014
    • member since: 06/13/05
    • level: 72
    • rank: Happy Little Tree
    • posts: 9,110
    Great start to the season. I love how each season feels so different from each other while still being the same.

    BTW guys, two episodes will be airing on July 11th when the show returns (no episode this Friday, July 4th).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jegolas1973

    jegolas1973

    [5]Jun 29, 2014
    • member since: 06/14/09
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 3,359

    SPDShadowRanger wrote:
    Great start to the season. I love how each season feels so different from each other while still being the same. BTW guys, two episodes will be airing on July 11th when the show returns (no episode this Friday, July 4th).
    It's worth the wait. I especially can't wait to see what is to come for the new airbenders.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [6]Jun 30, 2014
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,114

    It is off to a great start. The one thing I really like about LoK is that I feel it tackles issues with more without clear cut answers. Amon and his Equalists were bad their cause was reasonable and they had justified reason to believe non benders weren't being treated equally to benders. Spirits brought up modernization vs. spiritualism where there was no clear cut answer to the issue. This season/book continued that trend. Change is a basic concept everyone deals with, but its an issue people struggle with. On meta level there are fans who want this show to be more like A: TLA so it makes me wonder if the writers are trying to tackle that issue with this season.


    Republic City and Korra both had good points. Korra did defeat Vaatu/Unalaq and saved the world, which people should remember, but at the same time Korra choosing to leave the gates open caused harmful changes to Republic City that they are dealing with. The vines destroyed people's homes, so now they have to relocate. Who is going to compensate them for their losses? I can't remember if power was also out and other utilities like clean water or plumbing etc. It could be easy to say people were ungrateful you also have to remember that such a change is causing serious problems for peopleand their Avatar and leaders are unfortunately unable to fix them. It was a good way to show both sides hadpoints and there was no clear cut right answer.


    Another issue I loved was how Tenzin and Korra are going about rebuilding the Air Nation. They expect everyone to give up their olds lives and immerse themselves into an entirely new culture and become monks or nomads. They want these new air benders to become just like the air benders from 170 years ago. That's impossible. These new air benders are from different nations and have their own lives. To try to force them or expect them to become the old air benders is ignoring howimpossible that is. If the Air Nation is to survive Tenzin and Korra are going to have accept that they can't get people to be the old air benders and need to change the Air Nation if it is going to thrive. I love how Tenzin's words of wisdom about how people need to accept change and is blind to his own inability to accept it. That is a great character journey for him to go on.


    I'm glad Asami, Bolin, and Mako's storylines will be more tied into the main plot. My biggest gripe last season was that despite Verrick being a cool and fun villain that his storyline was disjointed from Vaatu plot that Bolin, Asami, and Mako's storylines weren't given much emphasis and character development was lacking a bit for me.Now they're right in the heat of things. We're exploringMako and Bolin's characters with their family and Kai. Asamiand Korra are closer than ever. I enjoy she isable to help Korra out more as well. The villainsare cool and unique. Unalaq was alright, but he felt too one dimensional for me when compared to Amon or Verrick. These guyshave interesting history and the way their leader talks suggests they aren't typical villains.I'm curious to see what they have against the Order of the White Lotus and the Avatar. Did they're cause lead to a bad run in with Aang and the order? This season is looking like another great addition to the series.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jegolas1973

    jegolas1973

    [7]Jun 30, 2014
    • member since: 06/14/09
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 3,359

    Kwando7 wrote:


    Now I want more.


    Waterbender's a little freaking having no arms. Hope its revealed why


    I bet that Ming-Hua is probably an excellent swimmer with armless waterbending. It's too bad she turned to a life of crime.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jegolas1973

    jegolas1973

    [9]Jul 2, 2014
    • member since: 06/14/09
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 3,359

    BillTheCat005 wrote:


    SPDShadowRanger wrote:
    Great start to the season. I love how each season feels so different from each other while still being the same. BTW guys, two episodes will be airing on July 11th when the show returns (no episode this Friday, July 4th).




    Can we get episode names please?



    In Harm's Way


    The Metal Clan

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of AwaiSSiawa

    AwaiSSiawa

    [10]Jul 11, 2014
    • member since: 10/12/10
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 12

    I am really excited about the whole travelling the world aspect, it has a nice Last Airbender-y feel to it. It bodes well for the rest of the season.


    Also, is it just me, or did the final prisoner (the firebender) sound and look a lot like Azula? I know its a little far out considering she should be about as old as Katara and Zuko, but just throwing it out there.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jegolas1973

    jegolas1973

    [11]Jul 11, 2014
    • member since: 06/14/09
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 3,359

    I know it's due to some leak, but I like the fact that we get two episodes per week. That's a special treat I know all Korra fans can be proud of.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kwando7

    Kwando7

    [13]Jul 12, 2014
    • member since: 11/28/08
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,634

    Looks like Next weeks episode will have Korra learning metal bending.Wonder ifAang ever got around to it

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [14]Jul 13, 2014
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,114

    Anyone notice that Zaheer and his gang are evil counterparts to Team Avatar from the original series? Zaheer is of course evil Aang with knowledge of Air Nomad culture and is driven by achieving a mission he feels is just. The water bender is a evil Toph. She has a disability that she compensates for with her bending. The fire bender is an evil Katara, super talented in her native element and is in love with Zaheer (evil Aang). The earth bender is a mix of Sokka and Zuko. These guys are interesting. Zaheer talked about ending the age of the Avatar and they tried to kidnap Korra when she was 4. What do they want achieve?


    I wonder if they had anything to do with Sokka's death. Tenzin said that he, Zuko, and Sokka stopped them from kidnapping Korra, but Sokka like Aang is the only one of his friends confirmed as dead. Katara, Zuko, and even Toph are all still alive. They never said Sokka died of old age like Aang did.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kwando7

    Kwando7

    [15]Jul 13, 2014
    • member since: 11/28/08
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,634

    RaizenYusuke wrote:


    Anyone notice that Zaheer and his gang are evil counterparts to Team Avatar from the original series? Zaheer is of course evil Aang with knowledge of Air Nomad culture and is driven by achieving a mission he feels is just. The water bender is a evil Toph. She has a disability that she compensates for with her bending. The fire bender is an evil Katara, super talented in her native element and is in love with Zaheer (evil Aang). The earth bender is a mix of Sokka and Zuko. These guys are interesting. Zaheer talked about ending the age of the Avatar and they tried to kidnap Korra when she was 4. What do they want achieve?


    I wonder if they had anything to do with Sokka's death. Tenzin said that he, Zuko, and Sokka stopped them from kidnapping Korra, but Sokka like Aang is the only one of his friends confirmed as dead. Katara, Zuko, and even Toph are all still alive. They never said Sokka died of old age like Aang did.



    Would be interesting if that was the case.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [16]Jul 13, 2014
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,114
    Was anyone else impressed that Nick let the writers mention that Toph's daughters were born out of wedlock and imply she had casual sex with both the girls fathers? It was a throwaway line, but still that is impressive considering how networks have been hard on cartoons avoid topics like that.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kwando7

    Kwando7

    [17]Jul 13, 2014
    • member since: 11/28/08
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,634

    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Was anyone else impressed that Nick let the writers mention that Toph's daughters were born out of wedlock and imply she had casual sex with both the girls fathers? It was a throwaway line, but still that is impressive considering how networks have been hard on cartoons avoid topics like that.


    I don't know I was more under the impression they died or left.I wouldn't be surprised if the Truthdetector guy is at least one of the fathers

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jegolas1973

    jegolas1973

    [18]Jul 14, 2014
    • member since: 06/14/09
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 3,359

    Kwando7 wrote:


    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Was anyone else impressed that Nick let the writers mention that Toph's daughters were born out of wedlock and imply she had casual sex with both the girls fathers? It was a throwaway line, but still that is impressive considering how networks have been hard on cartoons avoid topics like that.


    I don't know I was more under the impression they died or left.I wouldn't be surprised if the Truthdetector guy is at least one of the fathers


    I personally hope one of the fathers was Haru. I personally think Haru was the best man for Toph.

    Edited on 07/14/2014 2:26pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [19]Jul 18, 2014
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,512
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Was anyone else impressed that Nick let the writers mention that Toph's daughters were born out of wedlock and imply she had casual sex with both the girls fathers? It was a throwaway line, but still that is impressive considering how networks have been hard on cartoons avoid topics like that.
    I must've missed that. I was assuming maybe toph just divorced the first father (or maybe he died and she became a widow) and married someone else. That is something to think about, not sure such a topic would be discussed so casually though.

    As for this season so far, loving it. Dai li still shady as ever. Nice to see a little bit of mako and bolin's family. So the mom was the firebender. I always thought one was the adopted brother instead of both having one parent with a different bending power. (i dunno why, but i know better now.) I wonder if there's going to be consequences in pissing off the earth queen and if the 'mad max' thugs will reappear later?

    this team of bender villains is gonna be great. Finally villains more grounded on 'equal' footing. Sure amon was a great bad guy, but because he took away powers, the fight was more 1 sided in his favor. I guess the team 'anti-avatar' needs some skilled warrior and they'd be complete. I wonder if the woman with the 'combustion man' power is azula's daughter?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RaizenYusuke

    RaizenYusuke

    [20]Jul 20, 2014
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 8,114

    These were fun episodes, even if they didn't move the plot forward much.I guess that is to be expectedsince it explored more of Toph and Aang's families.I thought Kataang kids had issues. At least they never came to blows with each other last season unlike Toph's daughters. The ending was sweet with Lin and Sui reconciling. I do hope she gets to work out her issues with Toph though. I'm glad this was settled in2 episodes, so we can put focus back on Team Avatar. I'm happywith Bolin's development this season.I wasn't a fan of his character arc last season, but this one exploring him more. He has a serious self-esteem issue.I didn't realize this until this season, but he's a sad clown.


    Has anyone else notice that Bumiis more like Aang than Tenzin is? Ididn't notice until Tenzin mentionedit in the last episode, but he's right. He's got a carefree personality most of the time, makes people laugh, loves animals, energetic, can be competent when he needs to be. I liked this episode because it shows more to Bumi. Sometimes I think the crew forgets Bumi was supposed to be a competent commander and make him too much of a joke even in serious situations. It was pleasant surprise to see his leadership skills put to good use in leading the air benders to save Jinaro and Kai. It sounds like despite claims to Aang favoring Tenzin that he did spend time with them. Kya mentioned she could neverkeep guru's straight because there was so many of them. It looks like Aang did teach them their air nomad culture, but lack of interest on Kya and Bumi's part. It sounds like there is more to the perceived favoritism of Tenzin than it seems.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TiniTinyTony

    TiniTinyTony

    [21]Jul 21, 2014
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 23
    Why is Season 3 aka Book 3 episodes listed under Season 2? Who do we contact to fix that?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.