The Legend of Korra

Friday 8:00 PM on Nickelodeon Premiered Apr 14, 2012 In Season

The Legend of Korra Fan Reviews page 3 of 4

• Amazing Sequel!!

Avatar: The Last Airbender was one of my favorite shows of all time so obviously I was very excited when this new Series came out. What did I think of it? Fantastic.

Usually sequels suck and don't add anything to the mythology or characters of the original, well that's quite the opposite with The Legend of Korra. My favorite episode is "Out of the Past" and I can't wait for Book 2.
  • Best of the worst

I still don't understand how a series this short can be that good. There is nothing bad I can say right away (maybe due to the length of the series). Best anime series ever. One of the very few good. perfect? Add 2 more season and then we'll talk
  • More episodes

I hope they make more episodes and a movie like they did with the avatar the last airbender
  • Amazing show.

I love this show, but it's Avatar: The Legend of Korra or just The Legend of Korra. Not The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra.
  • A worthy sequel

I'm always wary of going to watch a great series with high expectations. You shouldn't expect the brilliance and great characters of the first, and watching this, you'll see so many echoes of previous characters repeated in these (sometimes too similar). This sequel does well though, and without expectations, I am sure you will enjoy it.
  • Stupendous!

As far as I've watched, this show seems to be great.

I have never watched Aang's adventures but this show makes me regret it.

The animation is great, the faces are amazing...

I must say, this is a great job and it seems to be great as its predecessor was.
  • awesome

I love the show I think this is much better then the old one don't get me wrong I like the old one I

just like this one more I hope this show keep having good rating and reviews and also I hope they will show season 2 and 3.
  • Incomplete

The end of ATLA was so open, and i was so happy, when i heard a new season was coming, and i was like YES now a lot of unanswered questions will get answered.. Then i heard that it was a new story a complete new avatar, and the only one who is back from ATLA is an old Katara, i mean WHY!?!?!? and all that future shit pissed me completely off, i missed the old style, the style that was in ATLA... AND, what about aang and katara (kataang) i mean WHY??? :'( and what about zukos mom?!? so many question should be answered but they didnt WHY? WHY, nickelodeon Why? BTW I HATE KORRA THERE`S NO DEVELOPMENT in the story!!!!! Kataang <3

I was missing Avatar: The Last Airbender ever since the last epsiode. Reruns just don't have the life that new episodes have. When I heard about this show I was ecstatic. Then when I actually watched it I was not disappointed. Korra is definately no Aang but I love the character. I wished there had been more time for character development but the season was so short. It had it's own air of mystery and I loved watching it. I can't wait for the next season, I only wish I knew when that would be.
  • Not bad at all, but disappointing

As a huge ATLA fan, you can imagine I was on the edge of my seat waiting for this spin-off series. Unfortunately Mike and Bryan have failed to correspond to my, admittedly high, expectations for this.

Compared with the first series everything feels less unique and engaging. The Korra cast suffers from inconsistent characterization and the writing does NOT reach the level of the original series in terms of brilliant character work, actual complexity and development.

Ironically, They're only "saved" by the older Gaang spawn, the air kids, or even brief seconds of flashbacks featuring the ATLA cast that end up stealing the spotlight without much effort. So much for "letting go of the original characters", huh?

The only explanation I have for the sub-pair dialogue is that it suffers from lack of the writing team led by Aaron Ehasz who worked in Avatar

As another turn-off: Wrirting conviniences. Meaning quite a few upsetting/forced/nonsense changes made due to pure convenience in Korra that completely undermine skills/previous story points/meanings from the original or even common sense.

The modernity completely takes away from the universe's very premise and everything that was unique or mystical about it. As a result when it tries to fit some simmilar concepts or elements, they feel out-of-place or boring (like Naga feeling useless and pro-bending feeling restrained).

After this I really don't know how, physically, bending is supposed to work: Any logic in it's physics was thrown out of the window, especially by Pshyco Bloodbending and a man being able to take someone's bending away through a "special" techinique which is NEVER explained despite being a HUGE plot point.

To end, although the series definitely means to explore themes as mature as the previous one did, it's much more more clumsy, cliche and shallow in doing so. The unique cultural, ethnic factors and the spiritual themes that marked the original series were reduced to almost nothing, and it' saddening.

The twist in the finale only brought the show down in terms of depht by turning the main antagonist into a full-blown evil with a contrieved backstory, and solved things through a meaningless Deus Ex Machina (didn't like the Lion Turtle? Think again cause this is ACTUALLY one) .

That said: Really good art, and plenty of great action. If you like that, absolutely go ahead! But to me it's nowhere near the level of storytelling and atmosphere that made the original a masterpiece.
  • bad continuation

4.5
    STORY LINE- TOO SHORT

THE JUMP IN TIME - GOOD

LEAP IN TEC- TOO DRASTIC

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT- NONE

• Really Good To Watch, Even with flaws

Overall it was very well done considering they only had 12 episodes to work with. Obviously it was rushed and there was very little to no characer development. My main thing that annoys me is that they never got into the spiritual side of the avatar. Especially the avatar state. While there was the odd glowing eyes parts etc, there was never a fight scene when the avatar state was used. For me I always loved the avatar state in ATLA. My other concern is the ending as they prity much tied up all the lose ends. Which in my opinion the majority of quality shows only ever really use one story line and not keep making up new ones. To sum it up it is worth watching and all, but I have no idea what they'll do for next season.
  • Terrible, just terrible!

I was very patiently anticipating this series, but no longer. It came and, through out its whole twelve episodes, I was utterly ashamed to say i watched it. First i was confused the entire time, then the cast was the same, and it made the voices way too familiar. Then it made a massive jump into the future, it went from simple steamboats to robots, I mean come on. Next it was too short of a season, then the bending was terrible, there wasnt enough of the fighting aspect of the bending(other then the bending games). Finnally there grew to be too big of a family tree of all the characters and i could'nt keep track. Dont get me wrong I loved "The last airbender" and it was very satisfying, but "The legend of Korra" had the worst ending I've ever seen. I would not recomend it to ANYONE!
  • Wow NOt in a good way

I was really excited about the Avatar coming back. But what came back with this new Avatar, Korra, were anti-personality benders also known as the writers. These benders would not be stopped and being as Korra was our only hope, because of her non-air bending throughout most of the book; she didn't stand a chance.
  • Pretty decent but doesn't hold a light to the original

When I heard they were making a spin off I thought "there's no way this is good" I stand corrected. I thought Korra was amazingly done....for the most part. I really liked most of the characters and the way they interacted, especially the offspring from the original Team Avatar. I liked bending as a sport. The main story line however left me unsatisfied....and that is probably my biggest complaint. The rest was golden.
  • A long time in waiting...waisted

First off is anyone else wondering why when korra fights tarlock (spelling?) she punches the ice he throws at her instead of...oh i dont know....bending it? so ive had the chance to watch alllllll whopping 12 (count em) episodes and i am..very disappointed..the whole "chapter" just seems...rushed and for that we dont really get to know the characters in any depth for example when they take the chiefs bending away i find myself not..really caring..at all because we dont get to know her or her story or..much of anything for that matter..and then theres mako..we never learn anything about his parents even though his "scarf" is mentioned as being super important...annndd..yeah we dont get to hear a cool back story or anything. I also dont like that they just went "he is the love interest ACCEPT IT!!!" really? 12 episodes just isnt enough time to make me feel there was any connection..feels like they went..hate you like you love you just bam bam bam. Theres so much i would like to say but heres my summery

Music: a huge step down some of it seems totally out of place and just sounds like carnival clown music at times doest fit with the story at all

Look: the only part where it doesnt disappoint..it looks amazing

Story: bad...really bad...the whole thing makes no sence at all..the bad guy has some convenient story that we only find out at the end..and how he uses his power is never explained nor is what happend to him allllllllll those years he was lost its like they just put this out there to remind us that avatar existed. Yes there are some very good moments in this show..i enjoyed watching it but im just so disappointed..theres so much more they could have (and should have) done.

Acting: i know its animated..so how is it that i feel like the voice actors are just sitting on there couch just saying their lines? theres practically no emotion in a lot of the delivery the only one thats pretty okay is amon himself. I love avatar..its the best show out there but this follow up to me is just not as amazing as it could have been
  • The Legacy of Avatar

12 episodes and this cartoon make me one of the happy's fans of the planet. Korra is an amazing character. Tenzi, Mako, Boli, the pretty Asami, Beifong, Naga, Republic City *-* just perfect, funny and great entertainement.

The Legend Of Korra is spetacular.
  • muy buena

excelente serie!
  • My views

Okay so honestly, i was a big fan of ATLA but i still love this series. I waited fo what seemed for ever for a spinoff (i was about 11) when i first saw ATLA. But i waited so long and now the spinoff is here am i complaining about the show no i am a hardcore fan of this series too i really like it its got a new-day kinda feel to it without abandoning its roots. In my honest opinion they should make more than 2 seasons i would honestly tune in every Saturday just to watch them like i do now. The one thing this series has that is has always had is AMAZING story boarding i mean there are just so many twists and turns especially with Amon and Tarlok i loved that bit of story. I seriously thought Korra lost her bending and Mako didn't i was like WTF but it was fine at the end. All in all wonderful series please make more than 2 seasons Please everyone loves this series :)
  • Well prepared I say.

Spin-off of Avatar: The Legends of Aang.

Plot: Seven decades passed by after the war, the heroes of the last generation are now gone. And the world, has just recovered from the recent war that happened. One girl, a reincarnation of the Avatar, Korra, from the southern water tribe. Who is going to maintain the balance of the world once again with her friends, Naga, her animal guide, Tenzin, Mako and Bolin. Nice plot, with alot of twists!

Characters: Korra is sometimes annoying, but it's okay. The characters had some back stories and complete details just like it's predecessor. Voice acting is great.

Action value: It maintained the action like ATLA had. Very nice. Left untouched.

Art: Also left untouched. It still had the quality.

Overall: 9.5. They can make Korra less annoying. I thought this would be a disappointment, but I was wrong! Nickelodeon got it right this time.
  • AWESOME!

*SPOILERS*

Many people are saying this show doesn't live up to the standards of it's predecessors.... they're wrong. It's understandable that the die hard first series fans would feel this to be a major change comparing the new protagonist with the previous one. But this show is different... all characters are brilliant..... the bending however seems a bit low scale..... it will get better. We'll come to know about the past years soon ..... and korra will bend on a large scale too i'm sure...

it's a must watch for all cartoon lovers. It ain't just a cartoon..... it's a hilarious-action-packed-drama-serious-awesome tv series.

Ps- speaking of the past... it's interesting to see Sokka become the city council head! :)
  • Good.

I must say that from coming from ATLA to this, it is one big saddening trip. But we'll get to that later.

The Legend of Korra is about Korra, a teenager who is the reincarnation of Aang and the next Avatar. Her journey is to save Republic City from the equalists, an anti-bending association that is led by Amon, an evil warlord with the power to take away others' bending, though only the Avatar has ever been known to be able to do that. This series follows Korra in Republic City as she meets new friends and tries to stop the equalist rally.

Here's what I like about this series

1) The storyline. Like in ATLA, the story is complex and filled with many plot twists that would keep a viewer well-engaged into the series. To some there are several "Whoa, did not see that coming!" moments while for others, who are better predicters like me might just be like "Wow, I saw that coming from a mile away." But whichever one you are, this series will certainly engage you enough to keep you watching.

2) The animation. A BIG step up from ATLA. The motions are more fluid, which you can tell when watching the action sequences.

3) The relation it makes to the first series. Unlike some other spin-off series, this one does not just ditch the old characters, but we still connect to them, whether by their children in this series or some flashbacks (Korra sees Aang) we still connect to them even though most of the characters from ATLA are gone.

However, there are several things wrong with this series as well.

1) The characters. Jeez, they did not put as much work into development of them as they should have. Here's what we have. We have Korra, an annoying teenager who throws tantrums when she doesn't get what she wants. She is very selfish. She wants to be with Mako, so she just kisses him even though he and Asami were dating. Also crushing Bolin's heart at it. She often rushes into things without thinking them through so her mentor and even her friends have to tell her it's wrong, and sometimes even have to save her. Then Mako, he's the cool guy who is dating Asami, but then hits on Korra while that's happening. What? All we know about Mako is that his parents died early on in his childhood. We can't really read his emotions, being honest with you. Bolin's the funny one, not really that well-developed either. Asami, she's one of my favorite characters, because she is the only character that is well-developed. I would go through others, but it would take too long.

2) Pacing. Boy, is it off. Korra goes from being at her watertribe home to going to Republic City to facing in a pro-bending tournament, to finding about Amon's past, to revealing that Aroshi Satto is evil, to being abducted in just ten episodes. The pacing is simply too fast. I know the series is only going to be twenty-six episodes, but still it seems too fast. It's not that over the limit, but it definitely is too fast.

3) The fictional world. I know they tried to put some modernity into the world of Korra, but it just doesn't feel the same as it did with ATLA. For some reason, I can't get used to far back Chinese culture being mixed with automobiles and the start of skyscrapers. This is just me, but I feel that the modernity just doesn't work with the fictional world they're creating, but again that's just me.

I would recommend you to watch this show, definitely. But I would recommend you to watch Tron: Uprising as well, which, in my opinion is better than this show which I give an 8 rating. On Tron: Uprising I gave a 9.5. Read my review if you want to know why.
  • Show just gets better and better!

I was a HUGE fan of ATLA. To make a major comparison of the two shows would be like comparing apples and oranges. Both may be fruit but still different. I love the whole concept of benders vs. non-benders. Its a story that is believable if it were a real life-scenario. I can truly understand the plight of non-benders(though I am still a bender fan. lol.

The action is the series is great. Unlike ATLA where you had to sit through weak developments in Aang's bending, Korra is 17 and already a great bender, with a few obvious setbacks. And of course we see the advanced bending we rarely, if ever, saw in ATLA. The animation is fantastic and combined with great music makes many scenes truly epic.

Another great thing about the show is a sticking to the story. No annoying filler episodes like in ATLA...does "Nightmares and Daydream" ring a bell? You know in Legend of Korra, each week you will be provided with a new portion of the ongoing story, perhaps a fun flashback or some new information about a character. There is enough reference to ATLA to please ANY fan of either series.

My only slight issue is the need for a little more character development. I would be more interested to know about Bolin, Mako, and Asami's background. Perhaps those will come with the new season. But irregardless, this is a fantastic series that is sure to please MANY! Just when I think the series can't get better, someone new pops up, or I see a flashback and the series gets better than I thought possible.
  • awesome

coolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcool
  • It just keeps getting better and better.

The series improves on it's past and I was delighted that it would be continuing the story. Although Aang's story is over, the writing of the current show links both the old and the new through the use of flashbacks and the children of past characters. Initially Republic city and it's steampunk style were a bit hard to accept but I grew fond of it after the first few episodes. The art style is as amazing as ever and never ceases to amaze me. The voice overs and the dialogue are still as excellent as it was in the previous story. The music has changed and is a kind of jazz with an oriental twist/feel which to me is perfect for the story. The Legend of Korra features a much more mature plot, tackling issues such as the relationship between benders and non-benders. The antagonist is also much more devious and not as simple as the previous incarnations. Overall, The Legend of Korra is a truly fantastic work of art that builds in intensity with each episode and continues to intrigue it's audience with the yearning for more information, especially what happened in Aang's later years and of the other characters. If you have yet to watch the new series, I urge you to give it a go, it will not disappoint and it will surely bring a smile to your face.
  • An Extension Rather Than a Replacement

I was very skeptical when I first heard about this project, because like many fans of Avatar: The Last Airbender, I couldn't imagine a show set in the same universe with different characters. Even after watching the first couple of episodes I wasn't sure if I could actually like the new characters. But I'm glad that I stuck with it!!

This show does not try to supersede it's predecessor, but instead it adds to the first one. Just like a new chapter in a book. The characters are very likable, and the show maintains all of its charm. The animation style of this one is more modern and the music is beautiful.

A must watch for anyone who was a fan of the original series.
  • I can't stop watching

I was always worried that this show was going to have a cheesy story line or that everything was moving too fast. Now I realize that the creators of The Legend of Korra pieced it all together and it's amazing. I'm still so annoyed because my older brother is always spoiling the most important parts while I'm watching.
  • Possibly Better than the Original

The show has such brilliant writing and despite the fact that the first book is only 12 episodes long, the creators are doing such a great job making the characters realistic, and the action in this show matches so beautifully with the music. The story line is definitely more mature than the last airbender, but the protagonist is a strong individual that it just makes the show that much more admirable.
  • That was great.

I love the new Legend of Korra, where it combined the blend of new and old. I also like Korra where she reminds me as Katara, independent but tough as nails and hotheaded. Hope you guys also liked it as well.
  • Blood Jumping Action That Wants You Craving More

The Legend Of Korra bring a western style animation. It is fast forwarded to a time with electronics and such. As I saw the first episode i was in love at how much an attention grabber this show is to me. Although it is nothing compared to the original Avatar The Last Airbender, The Legend Of Korra brings new excitement that keeps me coming back and craving for more.
1 2 3 4