The Legend of Korra

Friday 8:00 PM on Nickelodeon Premiered Apr 14, 2012 In Season

The Legend of Korra Fan Reviews (111)

• Disappionting

5.5
    I have been disappointed with the show so far. I am a huge fan of the old series but I think this new one is missing the charm and humor that made the old one so great. Shouldn't the protaganist be likeable? Korra is kind of a jerk. She blatantly disobeys Tenzin and she totally crushed Bolin. She knew Mako had hooked up with Asami but she didn't care. She only cares about what she wants. She's so selfish. I can't really sympathize with her. She irritates me so much it's hard to watcch. I hope she has a major attitude change soon or I will be too frustated to continue watching.
  • Disappointment

I've reviewed this before, but I didn't like the way I did it before, so I'll do it again.

I have known about this show since 2008. Having loved the Last Airbender, I was excited about this new series.

Oh, where to start? How about the characters. This show had some of the weakest character development I had ever seen. Ok, so they only had several episodes, but really, are we supposed to like them?

Korra is a total... snob? Won't cuss on here, but you know what I mean. Good lord, she is so full of herself, its actually painful to watch her do anything.

Whats-his-face, Marko? I dunno, but one word: JERK. Another one. PLAYER. And two more: ZUKO RIP-OFF. By player, i mean he was dating that Wasabi (heh) chick, and then he goes and kisses Korra, who by the way knew he was not available. Typical generic fire-bender.

Bowlin? I'm not looking up the spellings, if you haven't already guessed. He's nice. I felt bad for him for liking Korra, but it was his mistake after all, Pretty cheesy guy, pretty fun though.

Umm, who else? See, the characters weren't even memorable!

Wasabi? That's not her name, is it? She's boring boring boring. BAM you just met her. BAM she's dating Marco. BAM her dad owns an underground factory. I felt like all this information about her was slammed in my face.

Enough about the characters, now the plot. Aang saved the world. Cool. Korra saved a city. Meh. And if I bothered to watch the last episode (I was so bored with the episodes before I could finish the series) I would get why this is so dang important. Don't need some long fan explanation; don't care.

I kind of liked the little flashbacks with Aang and the old gang, but the same time, not so much. It was cool because I did want to see them again though.

The animation is beautiful. The script is alright. But the rest is just a big bucket of meh. i don't understand how this has such a huge fanbase, gets such good ratings, and is so dang popular. That's just my opinion, though. If you don't like this one, go read the one I did for Phineas and Ferb.

-Disturbia
  • Not bad at all, but disappointing

As a huge ATLA fan, you can imagine I was on the edge of my seat waiting for this spin-off series. Unfortunately Mike and Bryan have failed to correspond to my, admittedly high, expectations for this.

Compared with the first series everything feels less unique and engaging. The Korra cast suffers from inconsistent characterization and the writing does NOT reach the level of the original series in terms of brilliant character work, actual complexity and development.

Ironically, They're only "saved" by the older Gaang spawn, the air kids, or even brief seconds of flashbacks featuring the ATLA cast that end up stealing the spotlight without much effort. So much for "letting go of the original characters", huh?

The only explanation I have for the sub-pair dialogue is that it suffers from lack of the writing team led by Aaron Ehasz who worked in Avatar

As another turn-off: Wrirting conviniences. Meaning quite a few upsetting/forced/nonsense changes made due to pure convenience in Korra that completely undermine skills/previous story points/meanings from the original or even common sense.

The modernity completely takes away from the universe's very premise and everything that was unique or mystical about it. As a result when it tries to fit some simmilar concepts or elements, they feel out-of-place or boring (like Naga feeling useless and pro-bending feeling restrained).

After this I really don't know how, physically, bending is supposed to work: Any logic in it's physics was thrown out of the window, especially by Pshyco Bloodbending and a man being able to take someone's bending away through a "special" techinique which is NEVER explained despite being a HUGE plot point.

To end, although the series definitely means to explore themes as mature as the previous one did, it's much more more clumsy, cliche and shallow in doing so. The unique cultural, ethnic factors and the spiritual themes that marked the original series were reduced to almost nothing, and it' saddening.

The twist in the finale only brought the show down in terms of depht by turning the main antagonist into a full-blown evil with a contrieved backstory, and solved things through a meaningless Deus Ex Machina (didn't like the Lion Turtle? Think again cause this is ACTUALLY one) .

That said: Really good art, and plenty of great action. If you like that, absolutely go ahead! But to me it's nowhere near the level of storytelling and atmosphere that made the original a masterpiece.
  • ledgend of a butchered fantasy universe

i only liked this korra fan site to vent my disapointment with the way the world has evolved.... why destroy such a beautiful concept for a fantasy world by adding in so much modern technology, i admit there were machines in the original series but each of which were relevant to each benders race... why create a metropolis in what was such a wonderful setting with such cities as ba sing se or omas...hu and even the air temples and water kingdom ice fortress... a world of fantasy does not need a new york for a ford factory. so many vital charectors flaws and the only way i see this show progressing is maybe the che blockers take korras powers and air being the only element she cant use was never taken away from her so learns to use air bending... great concept with the che blockers but poory executed story line with very little imagination involved, i see no interest in to what the world of the avatar is becoming because who really wants to sit and escape into a world that is becoming more and more simular to ours... yay... pfft im my opinion all substence and fantasy elements to this show are fading fast and see no mezmorising aspects... wait to kill a great fantasy universe by introducing technology istead of taking the path of spirituality and mystisism! i say cancle it before you ruin a good thing or hire some decent writers who actualy have imagination instead of turning a fantastic world into the already crapy world we live in!

i might no be able to spell but i could write better concepts than this second hand realworld trash!
  • Incomplete

The end of ATLA was so open, and i was so happy, when i heard a new season was coming, and i was like YES now a lot of unanswered questions will get answered.. Then i heard that it was a new story a complete new avatar, and the only one who is back from ATLA is an old Katara, i mean WHY!?!?!? and all that future shit pissed me completely off, i missed the old style, the style that was in ATLA... AND, what about aang and katara (kataang) i mean WHY??? :'( and what about zukos mom?!? so many question should be answered but they didnt WHY? WHY, nickelodeon Why? BTW I HATE KORRA THERE`S NO DEVELOPMENT in the story!!!!! Kataang <3
  • bad continuation

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT- NONE

• No Character development, no mysticism anymore

Disappointing
  • Feels too similar to the Last Airbender show

Though I do like this show, I think its similarity to the Last Airbender and not the most original show on Nickelodeon.
  • Gained in the animation, Lost its uniqueness and originality.

Nothing like I expected- not in the good way.

Now, it's not a BAD series- But it's not great, either. It floats somewhere in between.

What was impressive was the animation, which was superior in some ways. They really improved on the character movement and the action moments. However, other things really lacked in potential.

What really made the first series memorable were the characters; which seemed original and distinctive, each having a unique voice and a colorful personality.

The Legend of Korra lacks that. In fact, the characters are hardly memorable at all. And the protagonist is the least likable.

Korra appears as a bitchy teenager with undesirable traits. She's selfish and her personality is unattractive, completely contrary to Aang's.

Aang was a cute, energetic, optimistic kid, who was enjoyable to watch and easy to sympathize with. I don't find Korra any way near as easy to connect with as he was.

Another thing that really threw me off was the European Industrial theme that appeared in Korra. It's just..... Weird. It doesn't fit in.

Avatar the last Airbender was like traditional Chinese, simplistic and primitive, with its own style, which made it interesting.

Maybe they were trying to make it appear future like, but I don't think the European theme contributed to that. It looks really awkward and things just don't fit together, with the vehicles and the city buildings. Perhaps it could have been better executed? I think that they should have stuck with their original unique style instead of throwing a whole new different thing in.

The whole world of the Avatar lost its original touch when it came to that.

The minor characters and the voice acting really lacks as well. The voice acting has no purpose- All the characters use the same, practical tone, with no uniqueness or individuality. They're all very superficial and they're character designs aren't memorable. Their personalities are incredibly dull and I lost interest quickly.

The Legend of Korra didn't live up to my expectations. The original series was ten times better.

• i wish i could skip it

i was a big fan of the original but with Kora its kinda making me feel like i just want to skip the entire series and hope for a new avatar who use he or she skill better like for example she is using the avatar state to win a race and also she gives learning to chase also hate that there is so much love and crap like hay i love you but i love him oh no! not enough action they should have just made an second part to Angs story.
  • Watched with a Grimace of disappointment

Where to begin.. Bewarned SPOILERS ahead

Characters: Flat.. no depth.. lack of soul.. humorless.. boring.. dull..

Korra - Irritating.. stupid.. lacks wisdom.. commonsense.. or empathy.. lacks depth or history.. Irresponsible.. reckless.. character lacks development or direction. despite having so many advantages she has little to show for it..

Mako - Irritating.. lacks depth... lacks insight or empathy... little character development.. limited history.. boring.. flat 1 dimensional character.. he and Iroh could be twins they look so alike.. lacks any distinction..

Bolin - Supposed to be the comic relief.. but given the environment and other characters it would be difficult to create a comedic atmosphere when the whole show drags you to a place where you wont smile.. easily forgettable.. I cant remember any lines he said in the show so far.. his face is fairly generic too..

Tensin was the only one in this show that I actually smiled at.. he had a few quips that I actually remembered..

Lin she was alright.. I didnt mind her the show got 1/4 of the rating I gave because of her.. however it was marred with the hint at romance with Tensin.. the reason Im so at odds with that.. is because this whole season was already saturated with to much Romance..

The Air bending Kids - I didnt mind them as well.. but they seemed out of place.. the humor seemed at odds with the show.. and appeared awkward at was like a throw back.. almost melancholic.. not that Im criticizing the kids.. Im not.. theyre one of the few things in this show I didnt dislike.. they got 1/4 of the ratings..

Asami - She was ok as well.. at least she had a bit of history.. a story to share.. something to feel empathy towards.. with her I can imagine a fleshed out character.. and see possibilities. She has alot of skills and abilities and sort of reminds me to an extent of Batman (lol) a normal human capable of doing more than the limits imposed on her. She shows qualities that Korra lacks.. shes intelligent.. responsible and understands what she needs to do.. and knows how to prioritize.. she put her own feelings on hold while doing the right thing.. having the strength of character to do that wouldnt be easy.. makes you want to know more about her.. which I should be feeling for Korra.. yet I dont..

The Critters Naga and Ive forgotten the other animals name- Not as appealing as I had hoped.. but maybe as the journey continues they will..

Iroh - Sounded like a young Zukoh.. his appearance made me groan.. he mustve worked those water benders hard to get those ships there so quickly.. and how Korra conveniently saved him before the many others who were dumped in the ocean before he was.. she managed to save only him as well.. how selective of her..

Amon - Well he couldve been cool.. but ended up being mediocre and stupid.. A fire lord wannabe.. that failed badly.. not because he didnt have opportunity to do so.. but because he was stupid.. he let a weak little girl beat him.. in the end he was just an arrogant idiot that went poof... tell me.. will a water bender die to fire.. when hes surrounded by water?.. do I care.. not anymore.. I hope he doesnt come back.. he doesnt deserve it..

The things I did like other than some of the characters

The Chi blockers.. they were all kinds of cool.. I really liked them..

Some of the fight really good

Things I didnt like

The metal benders were disappointing only Lin stood out the rest were sad and weak

That Narrator that recaps the previous episodes.. his voice is nasally and irritating.. I always fast forward his dialogue.. it annoys me so much that I want to delete the first minute of the show so I dont even see it..

The Romance.. Instead of "Legend of Korra" it should be named "Love life of Korra" she spent more time Chasing Mako than she did Amon.. It was nauseating.. it made me start hating Korra.. The plot surrounding Amon and learning to airbend.. became a side story not the main one.. about 45 percent of this season was dedicated to the love triangle.. drove me up the wall..

The Game - I cant even remember what it was called.. all I know is I hate it..25 percent dedicated to this.. I might be exaggerating about the percentages but Im not that far off.. far to much of this crap.. I thought I was watching a soap.. These are the Days of our Avatar.. Bold and the Avatar.. Young and the Avatar.. shudder.. just stop ..

Theres more but Im tired now.. so good night
  • Wow NOt in a good way

I was really excited about the Avatar coming back. But what came back with this new Avatar, Korra, were anti-personality benders also known as the writers. These benders would not be stopped and being as Korra was our only hope, because of her non-air bending throughout most of the book; she didn't stand a chance.
  • KORAS A DISGRACE

SHES THE STUPIDEST MOST INTOLARABLE AVATAR LIKE .. OMG SHE CANT DO A GOD DAMN THING RIGHT ! THEY BEST PART ABOUT THE SHOW IS BRINGING STUFF BACK FROM "ATLA" . HOWEVER I DO FEEL LIKE THIS GENERATION DESERVES TO KNOW OF THIS AVATAR WORLD WE FANGIRLS/BOYS LIVE IN SO I SUPPORT IT
  • Terrible, just terrible!

I was very patiently anticipating this series, but no longer. It came and, through out its whole twelve episodes, I was utterly ashamed to say i watched it. First i was confused the entire time, then the cast was the same, and it made the voices way too familiar. Then it made a massive jump into the future, it went from simple steamboats to robots, I mean come on. Next it was too short of a season, then the bending was terrible, there wasnt enough of the fighting aspect of the bending(other then the bending games). Finnally there grew to be too big of a family tree of all the characters and i could'nt keep track. Dont get me wrong I loved "The last airbender" and it was very satisfying, but "The legend of Korra" had the worst ending I've ever seen. I would not recomend it to ANYONE!
  • Just meh!

It plays out like a soap opera. They had such an awesome concept and a great pioneer but this is the best they can do? Shallow hormone-driven characters and a loose plot. It makes everything else seem worthless. And it makes everyone else in the previous avatar series seem like real prodigies: wiser, better, stronger.
  • Most Anti Growth Character

For someone who didn't have to hunt down her instructors, she is a pretty weak avatar. When I heard the new avatar was going to be female I had high hopes for a wise and strong avatar. Instead we get a doormat hung up on romance with the powers of an avatar.

I didn't expect her to be like Ang, but I did expect to see a character that had the capacity to learn and grow from her live experiences. At the rate she's going she's going to have one foot in the grave before she learns anything.

I've watched season after season in the hopes that the series would pick up, but the writing feels disjointed. It's almost as if they are using each season to try out ideas to see what will stick. This season has had the best antagonists so far I hope they find the confidence to stick with them, but time will tell.

All in all I don't find myself waiting for the next episode to come out. I'll watch it if it happens to be on, but I'm not going to go out of my way to watch it.
  • Well...

I do love the show, but I wish it didn't go so fast! I need time for information to settle in, and I would like for the plot to be more developed. I know this was supposed to be a mini-series (wished they would have released it like that), but I hope they'll do better second season now that they know how they'll run it. Honestly, I think this show would fare much better given a 1 hour time slot rather than half an hour.
  • Top Shows

Season 1 (12-13)
  • A long time in waiting...waisted

First off is anyone else wondering why when korra fights tarlock (spelling?) she punches the ice he throws at her instead of...oh i dont know....bending it? so ive had the chance to watch alllllll whopping 12 (count em) episodes and i am..very disappointed..the whole "chapter" just seems...rushed and for that we dont really get to know the characters in any depth for example when they take the chiefs bending away i find myself not..really caring..at all because we dont get to know her or her story or..much of anything for that matter..and then theres mako..we never learn anything about his parents even though his "scarf" is mentioned as being super important...annndd..yeah we dont get to hear a cool back story or anything. I also dont like that they just went "he is the love interest ACCEPT IT!!!" really? 12 episodes just isnt enough time to make me feel there was any connection..feels like they went..hate you like you love you just bam bam bam. Theres so much i would like to say but heres my summery

Music: a huge step down some of it seems totally out of place and just sounds like carnival clown music at times doest fit with the story at all

Look: the only part where it doesnt disappoint..it looks amazing

Story: bad...really bad...the whole thing makes no sence at all..the bad guy has some convenient story that we only find out at the end..and how he uses his power is never explained nor is what happend to him allllllllll those years he was lost its like they just put this out there to remind us that avatar existed. Yes there are some very good moments in this show..i enjoyed watching it but im just so disappointed..theres so much more they could have (and should have) done.

Acting: i know its animated..so how is it that i feel like the voice actors are just sitting on there couch just saying their lines? theres practically no emotion in a lot of the delivery the only one thats pretty okay is amon himself. I love avatar..its the best show out there but this follow up to me is just not as amazing as it could have been
  • Pathetic!

4.5
    I am currently watching book 2 of LOK and it's quite obvious that there is no hope for this series. Don't get me wrong I love the visual effects and graphics, but LOK is still lacking in terms of maturity and a reasonable storyline. Excessive romantic scenes,short fight scenes and weird "funny" scenes just aint for me. (Spoilers alert) In book 2 they tell the story of two WATERBENDING brothers one being the villain and hmmmmmmm......... Where have I heard that before? Oh right, Amon and "Noatak" or whatever his name was. The repetition of a story line shows the crew's inability to come up with a fresh story to attract a sort of more mature audience. I think someone should just put this series out o its misery.
  • Episode 3 : The Revelation

It was a revelation indeed, but for those who was already speculate about Amon Powers, we know already. This Episode was filled with action, we wanted to see how the equalist group was able to fight and with what kind of tools, we had all the details. We always expect more from the creators, this is episode was really answering the main questions we all have. I know a lot of my questions arent answered yet, but this episode clear some of the mystery concerning AMON and his power. We can easily make the parallele between our own history and the legend of Korra, the world and the different characters. I'm excited to see the next episode and I already speculate about it.
  • About the series

It got got great casting in 2012.
  • Everyone who wants Last Airbender will be disappointed. Everyone else will love TLoK.

This is a different show. I even like the way they come on with the updates similar to the black and white news reels of the 40's (I think it was the 40's). It does not have the epic fight scenes like Aang fighting his cousins but it does have the drama. Much more development of the spirit world in this one, Korra seems to go into the Avatar state more often. She is older as the Avatar than Aang was when he started and it shows. So, the friends are older, having jobs, owning businesses. Therfore the carefree spirit of youth and zaniness of childhood is gone (awww). The gang is not together every minute of the day and night, which makes for a more fun campy adventure.

I think it is smart to have the series age, probably because most of the audience seems to be young adults or older. Hopefully, the movie for this one will be handled by Buffy creator Joss Whedon, who does great with female heroes. This is not The Last Airbender, it is Korra and it is good.
  • An Unrivaled Tale Of a Strong Willed Girl...

I never really thought i would watch this series, i am thankful that i did...

I thought it was gonna be like "Twilight" ... Far from it...

Korra is a strong willed girl, the kind that make even guys envy her. The story is fun, and many points previously left a mystery by the previously avatar series have been told in this one, over all this is a show that is better than many high budget feature

A true Master

• Hope is here.

I hope that after they are done with the legend of korra, that maybe they can bring back avatar the original series.

I know that the rest of the story about Aang and the gang are told in the comics but still.

I rather see Aang on tv than in comics.

And it should`t be so hard come up with a plot.
  • Beautifully Done

This, along with CGI TMNT are the only good things left for Nickelodeon. The artwork is very well done and has very beautiful animation. The story is very well done and the characters have their own personalities. This is one of the few cartoons left that is not afraid to be dark and yet still be entertaining for kids.

Sadly, every time there is a season finale, Nickelodeon stops airing this awesome show in favor of crap like Breadwinners and Sanjay and Craig.
  • Beginnings 1 & 2 (Completely worth the watch)

Finally the Show is back on track... with all that melodrama behind it... I hope! The running social commentary, teen emotions and utterly predictable theme was beginning to feel dated. But Beginnings is hope to wipe the slate clean
  • All around a good show

While nothing can compare to the amazing story and complex characters of TLA, LoK definitely lives up to its predecessor. Book 1 was just amazing, and it's a shame Nick only signed it on as a mini-series. If they had decided early on to have more than one season, I feel as if they would've spent more time on characters and expanding the plot. Book 2 is alright, but Beginnings was amazing. SPOILERS:

Unfortunately, in Book 2 everything that can go wrong does go wrong. Bolin starts to date a creeper and of course decides to do something insane like force him to marry him. Korra and Mako break up and Korra's being a total .. snob? throughout the whole thing.

Pros:

I love Asami's and Bolin's sub-plots in this. The fact that Asami now has to run her father's company and is doing her best to keep everything going really shows who Asami is. She's one of the most developed characters on the show. I love the fact that Bolin is becoming the first "movie" star. I think Bolin really fits with acting, but I'm hoping they show him more than just a comic relief. There's a lot they can do with someone being "famous" and "popular"

I do like that Mako has become a detective, or almost is at least. I think they can really expand on that and after Beginnings I hope they go deeper into the plot and the spirits then they are now.

The animation is amazing and I love the design. It's really just TLA remastered and I absolutely loved the design they did for beginnings.

Cons: Like I said before, everything that can go wrong does go wrong. I'm not going to go into detail because it's really self explanatory, but I really hope they change that further into the season.

The creators of the show(who's names I have forgotten) are smart and experienced enough, and that gives me hope for the rest of the seasons.

And don't get me started on the soundtrack for book 1, it's absolutely AMAZING. It sounds like it was created for a movie, let alone and once before deemed a mini-series.

Anyways, love the series enough to keep watching, but am also keeping my expectations low
  • The legend of korra review

Its a good continuing of the first show avatar: the last airbender, hope they keep up bringing in new episodes
  • 10/10

I simply love it. <3

The plot; the characters; the suspense; it's all there.
< 1 2 3 4