Awake Forums

NBC (ended 2012)

Official Discussion Thread: Turtles All the Way Down (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]May 22, 2012
    • level: 103

Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 5/24/12 series finale, "Turtles All the Way Down" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dh4645

[2]May 24, 2012
    • level: 15
    can't believe it's over already.

so sad.

i'm giving up on watching any new shows, since all the good ones get canceled.

maybe once a show has a season or two under it's belt and has good reviews, i'll maybe then rent/stream them on netflix or amazon.

Bytor65

[3]May 24, 2012
    • level: 6
    Great season Finale. Not even too bad as series finale (Aired in Canada last night).

I would have loved to see where they would go with this in a second season. Does the ending mean, it was all a dream and his family is alive, or is he retreating into a better dream where they are alive. Neither of these is wholly satisfying.

I am really not fond of the whole season is all a dream, nor with him retreating even deeper into dream.

I hope the show runners can give us some idea what was really going on now that it is over.

fail2d

[4]May 24, 2012
    • level: 1

That was a complete and total sellout, and they went with the worst possible ending.

It started becoming clear the whole show was a dream when he visited himself in jail and from there everything started becoming dreamy

chaos_789

[5]May 24, 2012
    • level: 2
    ya, it seems the whole show was a dream, when he visited himself in jail, I though that world must be the dream, which it seemed to play that way, then when in what is thought to know be the real world, when he is talking to the therapist, and she freezes. I thought, they both must be dreams. Which is then shown when he leaves his bed room after waking up.

It was a good show, but at least is didn`t end with a cliff hanger like how many cancelled shows end. so at least the viewer gets a complete story.

EllaStanton

[6]May 24, 2012

So, Can those of us who DON'T live in Canada please get a FULL recap right NOW instead of having to wait until 9 p.m. tonight? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fail2d

[7]May 24, 2012

EllaStanton wrote:

So, Can those of us who DON'T live in Canada please get a FULL recap right NOW instead of having to wait until 9 p.m. tonight? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically in the son's world, bird finds the H in the storage unit that they were going to investigate.

Harper gets Kessel to go to a motel room to have sex (which apparently they been doing for a while), and shoots him so he doesn't rat her out once the whole drug dealing thing gets pinned on him.

Then in the wife's world he goes to the same storage unit and it's empty, and ends up getting thrown in jail because they think he killed bird. While in jail he's visited by the son's world version of him, and then it goes into a total hallucination / fantasy world where he gets the clues to pin it on Harper. Then he goes back to the son's world and gets Harper arrested for killing Kessel and being involved in the whole drug scandal.

Then he's talking to his therapist and wakes up for real and goes downstairs to be greeted by both his wife and son, and his son asks him to drive him to school for registration (which is probably where the show started in episode 1) basically saying the entire show was a dream.

Cheap ending. I could've written something better then that.

Bytor65

[8]May 24, 2012

fail2d wrote:

Then he's talking to his therapist and wakes up for real and goes downstairs to be greeted by both his wife and son, and his son asks him to drive him to school for registration (which is probably where the show started in episode 1) basically saying the entire show was a dream.

Except he didn't wake up. Things just shifted. Implying whatever state he is in, is still not reality. So if he is dreaming, it is just a better dream.

As far as the whole show being a dream. That isn't a surprise.

It has been pretty much clear that it wasn't reality he was experiencing for quite some time.

I thought almost straight from the beginning that both Green and Red were dreams and he is in a coma from the accident working things out.

Either way it isn't the kind of show you can expect to sustain. Though I would have liked to see what they planned to do in season 2.

fail2d

[9]May 24, 2012

Bytor65 wrote:

fail2d wrote:

Except he didn't wake up. Things just shifted. Implying whatever state he is in, is still not reality. So if he is dreaming, it is just a better dream.

As far as the whole show being a dream. That isn't a surprise.

It has been pretty much clear that it wasn't reality he was experiencing for quite some time.

I thought almost straight from the beginning that both Green and Red were dreams and he is in a coma from the accident working things out.

Either way it isn't the kind of show you can expect to sustain. Though I would have liked to see what they planned to do in season 2.

Oops, I got that part wrong. He didn't wake up, everything just froze up then when he walked through the door it went back to his normal life.

Guendolin

[10]May 24, 2012
    In my opinion there are folowing possible endings:

The most boring one is:
    - Michael was asleep during the whole season.

Through the series he was driven to first find the answers about the accident then to find the ones responsible. When he finally did and realized that just getting the revenge wasn't enough

- Michael created yet another layer of dreams to flee into. (sad)

- Michael merged the two realities into one. Both green and red where true and created because Michael wanted both his son and his wife to be alive.

The series have been full of hints of that the two realities were spilling over on each other. Maybe that was Michels mind creating these thing with in each true world. In the ending he subcutaneously realised that he had this power and he used it. But it could also be that he is insane.

What I love about this series is that it was subtle, mysterious and really well done. I'm one of those that think that not everything needs to be explained in every detail. I like this ending. It could be interpreted to many things. I like it.

But in the best of world, I would go to sleep right now and wake up to a world where Awake wasn't canceled.

wingsabre

[11]May 25, 2012
    • level: 13
    I know that the creator said that one of the reality is defiantly real, and it very much feels like the wife's reality is the dream.

It was a good season finale, and a good series finale. I think he created a third option, so he could live in that world, however had the series been renewed, I think there would have been two options. One, he has three realities and switches between them. Second option is his new reality starts to fall apart and crumble because his mind can't balance 3 realities at once.

SamiKitty2

[12]May 25, 2012
    • level: 5

I think that all along he was the one who was dead and this is his "heaven".

Red and Green (like old style 3d glasses) create the whole picture.

Just_Jos

[13]May 25, 2012
    • level: 11

Brilliant finale. But it certainly got me thinking that the Red reality was fake and the Green one is real. Britten creating a third one was genius.

Edited on 05/29/2012 1:52pm
    Edited 2 total times.

kizuya

[14]May 25, 2012
    • level: 4

i liked the episode till it came to the end, now him talkin to himself, i can see cuz thats delusional, but doors opening on their own an stuff...bit much, i really liked the scene when both therapists were bickering lol the ending i didnt care for at all, i figured a better ending woulda been like he was in a coma or something from the wreck, an finally wakes up, but if they have it so he makes a 3rd reality, isnt that kind of leaving it on a cliffhanger? if he isnt in the true world, how to we know what truely happened... just sad that decent shows nowadays get canceled just because they arent american idol, law & order, or CSI (dont get me wrong i like the last 2, but i like some variety in my shows), now along with terra nova, i get to say goodbye to awake after just one short season...

Edited on 05/25/2012 6:17pm

Jrr6415sun

[15]May 26, 2012
    • level: 9
    wingsabre wrote:
    I know that the creator said that one of the reality is defiantly real, and it very much feels like the wife's reality is the dream.

where did the creator say that? do you have proof? because I just read an article where the creator says that the show had no right answer:

""If your question is simply 'Which is real?' I can't help you," Killen writes. "We didn't approach the show that way. It was about a man living two lives, not a man trying to figure out which was real and which wasn't."

apjccjqa

[16]May 26, 2012
    • level: 9

http://tvline.com/2012/05/25/awake-season-series-finale-review-questions-answered/

Creator says here that the final scene means he is worse off than he was before.

So I see one of two things:

Red reality was real: Michael fell asleep in his cell, and went into a "dreamscape" where he met himself and his subconscious solved the case of how to catch harper in the green/fake reality. He went into the green world, solved it, then had his therapist(subconcious) tell him that he had to accept reality. He refused, and went into a new, third reality. As he said, everything felt real in both worlds..so why couldnt he just have a dream within one of them? So he had a dream within the dream world and walked into an even better world.

Green Reality was real: The big hint to this theory is that he had a emotional "goodbye" with his wife before solving the crime in the green (real) reality. But then when faced with giving her up forever, he delved into his dreamscape/third reality and thus was worse off.

Tough call, but I'm going red world was real because of the fact it showed him fall asleep before the dreamscape, and I can't really see how he'd pause the green world to go into the third reality if green was real.

My brain hurts.

Bytor65

[17]May 27, 2012

apjccjqa wrote:
    My brain hurts.

If they didn't end it this season it would definitely lose more fans (like me) next season.

You can only string me along with the "character living in denial of reality" schtick, for so long. For interpretation of this season, I really didn't learn much from the interview, I already knew he didn't wake up at the end, that he was giving himself a new happier dream/delusion.

We had no real evidence either "reality" was real. The writers might not even know at this point, playing the all too common, make it up as they go along game.

If you look at it from a logical standpoint, it implodes, both red/green appear to be dream/delusion unless there are supernatural elements involved, because both red and green receive unknowable information from the other side. So either there is supernatural voodoo going on, or both red/green are dreams/delusions.

If we are not seeing any reality, and they don't payoff (by now), it is near pointless to continue. The dreams within dreams all become totally pointless. From what was said of season 2 it sounds like it would have been another season of Red/Green, with a pregnant wife in one reality, and tennis coach girlfriend in the other. That wouldn't keep working for me.

Edited on 05/27/2012 11:25am

wingsabre

[18]May 29, 2012
    • level: 13
    Jrr6415sun wrote:
    wingsabre wrote:

where did the creator say that? do you have proof? because I just read an article where the creator says that the show had no right answer:

""If your question is simply 'Which is real?' I can't help you," Killen writes. "We didn't approach the show that way. It was about a man living two lives, not a man trying to figure out which was real and which wasn't."

I've read that too. I'm not sure where I read it per se, but I remember Killen answering a question about the possibility that this whole thing is just a dream, and in reality Britten is dead, dieing, or in a coma. Killen said that one reality really is real, while the other is a dream, but they are really treating both realities as real. The people in those realities will tell him they're real, that he's dreaming about the other realities, and he himself don't want to make one real and one a dream because by doing so, he has to let go. That's truly something he's not ready to do as of yet. If I find the article I'll repost it.

DaveNetMan

[19]May 29, 2012

Here's a Q&A with series creator Kyle Killen, specifically talking about the finale:

http://www.tv.com/news/awake-q-and-a-creator-kyle-killen-explains-the-finale-and-more-28770/

In it, he says:

"The one thing I will say the finale absolutely positively is not—like not even open to interpretation—just is not, is any form of, "It was all a dream. Britten woke up, there was no accident, his wife and his son were fine. Nothing that you experienced throughout the season ever happened." That's just absolutely, fundamentally, factually incorrect. It's disappointing to see people react negatively to that interpretation when I feel like we really tried to safeguard [against it]. Even in the way that last scene was shot, we made sure there was no place where it seemed like Britten could be waking up from a dream. It had to be a fracturing of the Green World, even getting into that space. "It was all a dream" is the only one I reject out of hand. "

Which is interesting, because my first guess is that it was all a dream. But that would open up a whole new list of questions.

Oh well. Excellent series overall.

wolfinga

[20]May 29, 2012
    • level: 3

very disappointed with the ending. A dream? really? Just... wow.