Turtles All the Way Down

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM May 24, 2012 on NBC

• What did I just watch?

What I just watch? This finale was so great, unusual, surprising, and mind-bending. I kept wondering how they were going to wrap it up in the red reality as time went by. I was hoping for a non-cliffhanger. And I didn't get a cliffhanger. Well, not entirely. The dream inside the red reality made confused me at first, but then I got it, it was a regular dream! One that would actually feel like a dream! Or a third reality that didn't play by the same rules. When Dr. Evans froze I thought that we were going to get a dream in the green reality too. But then, we got a new reality. A reality in which Hannah and Rex survived! That, or there was no accident at all. I found myself very confused. My first reaction was to be upset. But, as I put more thought into it, I came to love "Turtles All the Way Down". There are still many unanswered questions. But, I'm not upset about it. My biggest unanswered questions are... Was there a car crash in the real reality? What ever happened to Gemini after the phone call at the end of the episode "Oregon"? Does Michael now live in 3 realities, or 1? Who is his partner in the real reality? When is the real reality set, at the time of the car crash, months later, as the red and green realities were now at, or sometime else? Despite all of these questions, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Great job everyone that was a part of the series, specifically Kyle Killen (creator, executive producer, writer), Jason Isaacs (Det. Michael Britten), and Laura Innes (Capt. Tricia Harper)! This was a great ending to a great show!
  • Goodbye Awake

loved the ending, its actually sort of how i pictured lost would end as that show was airing, however, what worked for this show i doubt would have worked with lost many people probably would have been pissed (they were pissed off with the ending anyways so go figure) anyway i digress

in a way i'm glad that it only has 13 episodes and it got some closure, because i dont know if it would have held onto its charm.... you see it in many shows after awhile they lose there spark

Jason Issacs was really great in this he needs to do more
  • Interesting show

I enjoyed this show and I think the ending is whatever one makes of it. I thought he has invented another dream world where his family are back together again as he cannot except life without both of them. Perhaps he has had a psychotic breakdown and this new dream world is all that exists for him. Anyway it was an interesting show and I love Jason Isaacs and look forward to him doing more Case Histories now. By the way, another Brit doing a great American accent.
  • Putrid

After having watching and stayed with this show until the end, I'm embarrassed for NBC, producer Isaacs, the writing team and all who's involved with the ending to this very average series. I feel like I was just punched in the gut. How could they use the oldest cliche' to use as the final was all just a dream. I wasted 13 hours of my life. My wife and I both had the same reaction..."I'm Mad!!! They could have done anything with ending and it would have been better than what they filed. You want to end with a dream, okay, but have him wake up and have a different wife and son. Or just end it where he's still in limbo trying to figure out reality/dreams. Mr. Isaacs, you play good characters in the movies, but please stay away from production and television series.
  • Goodnight Awake!

I am really sad to see this show go, but at least (unlike many other shows) it went out with a bang. It was one of the most incredible series finales of all time, as it both set up a Season 2 (had there been one) and gave closure in case of a series finale. The ending scene was heart pounding making me think he had awaken (or dreamt) a reality where both were dead. Then Rex walks in and I sit patiently waiting for Hannah and bam there she is. I also LOVED the scene with Michael talking to himself from the other reality. I liked how despite this show being a family show, a cop show and a conspiracy show, none of them were like any other of those types of shows. The family aspect was different, the procedural aspect was different, and the way the went about doing the conspiracy was better than in most of conspiracy type shows. And the fact that it was all wrapped up into one series made it even greater. I wish this series would come back, not just because I love it, but I really am curious that since the whole "conspiracy" theory is over how season two would differ. Sadly, it is lights out for Awake, and I say rest in peace Michael-one of the greatest characters to ever grace the screen.
  • Finally a series closure

I am sad to see this series go. I liked how they drew all the parts together and gave the show a decent closure though. The creators could have had it just end, and we would all be left hanging. The way I choose to look at this happening, I just watched a 13-hour movie. Of course, broke down into 1 hour segments.
  • A Dual Ending...Fits Perfectly Even With Multiple Possiblities Remaining

Particularly the last two episodes vaulted Awake into some rarified air. Awake was never a by the numbers police story and for the viewers who stayed the course the finale could not have been richer, more mind bending, or...better. Awake was always at it's best when it was unabashedly taking chances, posing as many questions as answers if you will. In the end it worked as a more unified whole allowing the viewer to reach a satisfying point where the first season ended beautifully without condescention. Sure, as fans we were left hungry for continuaton of Britten's journey, but yet there was satisfaction too. Unlike "Lost" where five seasons of questions felt quite empty as the end credits rolled, "Awake" managed to bring a high degree of closure that as an individual I truly found gratifying. I loved the series even in the realization that this is "The End".
  • Cancelled

I can't believe they cancelled this show. it was so great, and what a wonderful end..... though it easily could just be the beginning....