An Awkward Community
Tuesday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television
The following post contains spoilers from the latest episode of Awkward, ‘Snow Job’, as well as the rest of the series’ fourth season, so if you haven’t watched it all, come back later once you have!

It’s a natural part of ongoing series, particularly teen-orientated dramas, to introduce new characters in order to provide a new dynamic, new storylines, new conflict, and most importantly, new relationships. Unfortunately Awkward hasn’t been all that successful in integrating new characters into its group of existing ones since the series has begun, but it’s become increasingly more obvious since the series inevitably broke up its two main couples in Jenna and Matty and Jake and Tamara, and subsequently had to introduce potential love interests for each of these characters.

This problem may not have been so noticeable if it wasn’t for the arrival of Eva this season, who slowly, but surely, transformed from one of those boring typical potential love interests for Matty into a compulsive liar and manipulator, and as of the end of this episode, all round crazy person. Whether she was blackmailing Sadie, hiding her underwear in Jenna’s bed, or pouring coffee on herself to gain everyone’s sympathy Eva has been a truly excruciating part of the later part of the fourth season. Usually I wouldn’t mind the presence of such a character in a primetime soap opera (at times throughout this episode one could think they were watching one), but here, on Awkward, her melodramatic personality just doesn’t suit the tone of the series (and that’s saying something).

I’ll admit, though, that Eva definitely served her purpose and then some when fulfilling the conflict quota, as majority (if not all) of the drama Jenna faced in this episode was directly a result of her. Being entertained aside though, new characters like Eva only truly serve their purpose if they have the ability to teach us something new or valuable about the pre-existing characters in the show through their interactions, and as of the end of this episode, I’m not entirely sure Eva has truly served her purpose (although she certainly has the potential too).

The revelation of Eva’s true identity allowed for a long awaited Jenna and Sadie team-up which was everything one could hope it to be, and even that pairing aside, Sadie riding solo and investigating Eva in the first part of the episode was just as brilliant. On the surface it would seem that Eva is responsible for both Jenna and Sadie’s respective break-ups, and technically, she is, but the self-evaluation and realisation experienced by both these character post their break-ups aren’t necessarily breaking any new ground. Austin broke up with Sadie in regards to trust, ironic, seeing as Sadie’s hard exterior could easily be ascribed to having difficulty letting anyone in. Lesson learned: Sadie has to be able to treat others well and with respect if she expects to be treated the same way. But haven’t we always known that? As for Jenna, Luke broke up with her because she needs to grow up (PREACH IT, DUDE!), but again, this is territory that’s already been covered on the series (never-endingly, apparently), but it also seems even more forced here since Luke was perfectly okay with Jenna’s teenage dramas a couple of episodes ago in ‘Crowning Moments’, yet wasn’t able to handle it in this episode, which makes it seem like the writers just wanted them to break up to add emphasis to everything.

So where does Eva’s potential lie as a character, then? With her baby of course! Not necessarily the actual baby (despite that positive pregnancy test at the end I’m still quite suspicious about whether she actually is), but rather, the potential it holds for Matty’s character. For me, he’s always been a problematic personality because since the beginning of the series he’s only important in regards to what he is to Jenna, whether it be, her crush, her boyfriend, her ex-boyfriend, her friend etc. instead of his own character. The writers attempted to develop him with the revelation that he’s adopted this season, but that seemed to lead nowhere, and by the time the potentially interesting develops could have happened Eva was starting her crazy and that stotyline fell by the wayside. Anyway, towards the end of the episode Jenna actually had an intriguing inner monologue thought (she’s allowed them occasionally, I guess) where she questioned how loyal Matty was to Eva. Did he genuinely care and was willing to forgive her despite all her lies? Or was he just doing what was right in not wanting to abandon his child? There’s great potential for character growth here, so despite all the bizarre antics of Eva we’ve had to endure thus far, here’s hoping we can say it will be all worth it once the series returns.
15 Comments
Comments (15)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
jenna and jake should get back together because they are cute together he is not afraid to be seen with her and he still probably has feelings for her and it was a bad choice picking Matty over Jake. Jenna deserves to be dating Jake. And plus Matty is hung up on Eva to care about Jenna anymore, Jake would probably be happy to be back with Jenna so would she. and its easy for them to talk with eachother. please get Jekenna back on the road, hopefully forever now!
Flag
I didn't mind these episodes, mostly because I was itching for an Eva smackdown. I like that Sadie and Jenna had to work together to expose Eva, even though it didn't go quite as they planned. But mostly I wanted someone to push Eva off a balcony!
Matty is totally being loyal to the potential baby, not Eva. If she weren't preggers I'm sure he would have run fast, particularly considering his reactions to betrayal in the past. Speaking of, how exactly, despite it all, was he able to get past the whole 'I have creepy stalker photos of you on my wall' thing? I really wish we'd seen his reaction to the photos on Sadie's phone. Going on classic Matty, I would have expected him to freak out, need HEAPS of space and THEN gone all 'I'll stand by you.' He could do that and still remain legitimately pissed off at Jenna right?
Actually, DID Sadie show him the photos?? Because WOW! Crazy is way to tame to describe Eva.
Flag
Oh, two more things.
One: I loved Luke. I wish Awkward. moved beyond Jenna and Matty, which has been already examined in all possible ways, and focused on this new possibility. Though, truth be told, Luke looks better off without Jenna.
Two: What's the deal with that duo of too-cool-for-school camera guys? They were so pointless.
Flag
I hate when characters make those 180 degrees turns from normal to psychotic. Hate it even in worst soaps, not to mention something slightly more ambitious. Way to ruin the tone.
Flag
I hated these episodes. It all seem so forced, fast-paced and pathetic. I like that Tamara and Jake are starting to be friends again, and Sadie is still pretty funny (I missed the famous "You're welcome" on this episodes), but, other than that, I really hated it.
Flag
I wondered a lot about her being pregnant, not only if she actually was, but what, if that being the case, were the chances it was actually Matty's? On one hand I almost want to sympathize with Eva just a bit over her screwed up life, but then, seeing her room-wide battle plan of crazy kinda ruins that. The other question that pops in my mind, if she has such a strategy plan going to be with Matty, how likely is her being pregnant just a chance at a payoff knowing his family is pretty well off and he is generally a nice and responsible guy?

Getting pretty annoyed with Jenna this season, even more than usual, and Tamara is hopefully coming back down to a reasonable level of normal having made friends with Jake again, because lets be honest, those two did not make believable enemies for a second.

No matter how crazy and abusive Sadie gets, all she has to do is refer to Jenna as "Hamil-toe" and I fall in love with her character all over again. (I don't understand mean girls.)
Flag
My guess: Eva was pregnant before getting into Palos Hill Highschool, her baby's father didn't want to take responsability for it so when she got into Palos Hill she looked for some nice and responsible guy to foist her child on (and there Matty comes on the scene).
Flag
It makes sense.
Flag
If the writers want to draw out the storyline I'd imagine that yes, the idea that Matty might not be the father of the child (if there even is one) will undoubtedly come into play.

I could see the writers trying to get viewers to sympathise with her when she tried to explain her actions at the cabin, particularly about the time she stabbed another student in the face with a pencil in supposed self-defence, but then I remembered all the horrible things she had done to Jenna, for completely no reason, and decided she definitely didn't deserve any sympathy. She's a hypocrite, basically (and that's the least of her character problems). She says she's had a hard life and was bullied, yet is clearly bullying/ antagonising Jenna and Sadie, so she can't play the victim.

We weren't really given insight into Eva's true motivations, only her craziness. She's infatuated with Matty, but who knows why, and to be honest I think the writers will be fine with not answering this question. I doubt Eva has the ability to think logically enough to latch onto Matty because of how well off she'll be with him, but I guess it's possible.

I love your statement about Sadie, she's such a horrible person, yet the way that character uses the language to craft such memorable and hilarious insults instantly makes me love her despite this.
More +
Flag
Eva couldn't have been pregnant before, as it's at least 4 months into the school year at this point (summer to winter). However, I wouldn't be surprised it she went out and got herself pregnant by somebody else because Matty is too careful. She saw his life and wanted it.
However, I don't believe any of Eva's piteous life story. She's pathological, can't tell the truth to save her life. She gets out of trouble for lying by telling more lies.
And it's all about getting what she thinks she deserves. Remember the identity theft? That is forethought. And the fact that her grandmother is so clueless suggests that she doesn't know Eva's at school at all.
I think she got caught for the identity theft soon after she enrolled at Palos Hill and had to think of a new way of living the highlife or the impression of it at least. Enter Matty.
Flag
It just seems like so much of the writing for Eva did an entire 180 right withing about the last 4-5 episodes. I generally liked her character early on, but always kind of assumed something was gonna have to happen, because she is so much taller and more attractive than most of the main cast, but I also sort of blew that off with the belief that maybe she was just a quick fill-in to replace Bailey from the end of last season (and man what a cutie she was, even had the general height and build to match the rest of the cast, too!)

On another side note, does anyone else get the impression the writers have absolutely no idea what to do with Jake anymore? They don't want to get rid of him, but they can't seem to come up with anything meaningful for him to do either.

This show really needs another standout guest star like Anthony Michael Hall was for last season.
Flag
Hmm, yes I agree now you mention it. Jake is dead weight atmo. Fingers crossed they sort something out for him because I like him as a character... though the musician thing not so much
Flag
I miss Ming... and also I kind of miss Bailey too, she was gone too soon :/
Flag
@Sanity_Bleeds yeah, hahahaha! She did wear a lot of funny (and useless, because it was sunny) woolen hats!

Although I think it was kind of the opposite: she was funny but not the prettiest girl at highschool, and then the writers decided to make her badass (all that Chinese mafia stuff) and prettier at the same time... can't a girl be badass without being pretty? See Katniss (THG), Feliticy (Arrow), Emma (OUAT), etc... they all are hot! I liked that Ming wasn't :/

Flag
I sort of disliked Ming, but mostly because she looked like a total cutie that they kept trying to make look unattractive and nerdy for no reason. And what the hell was up with all those ridiculous hats???
Flag
Follow this Show
Members