An Awkward Community
Tuesday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television

Jenna Hamilton will continue to play cruel games with the hearts of hunky boys at Palos Hill High School, but she'll be doing so without her real mother. MTV has ordered a fourth season of Awkward., according to Deadline Hollywood, and confirmed the news that broke the hearts of Awkward. fans over a month ago: Series creator and showrunner Lauren Iungerich will not be returning to the show. 

Replacing Iungerich will require two people, and MTV has hired Chris Alberghini and Mike Chessler. Who? Alberghini and Chessler created the VH1 "comedy" noTORIous starring Tori Spelling, so that's not exactly a positive sign. They also worked on 90210, Cashmere Mafia, and Reba as producers.

Awkward. came onto the scene as one of the most surprising series of 2011 with its mix of school smarts and a perfect encapsulation of the horrors of teen romance and acceptance. I didn't see all of the first half of Season 3, but what I did see seemed to have lost the punch of the "Matty or Jake?" question that propelled the first two seasons. It just didn't seem to have the same charm. Maybe I'll go back and marathon the rest of the episodes on a lazy afternoon, but I'm just not feeling Awkward. like I used to. Anyone else think the same?

There are still 10 Iungerich-ized episodes left in Awkward.'s third season, which resumes this fall. 

Previously Aired Episode

TONIGHT AT 10PM

Season 4 : Episode 1

27 Comments