An Awkward Community
Tuesday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television

Jenna Hamilton will continue to play cruel games with the hearts of hunky boys at Palos Hill High School, but she'll be doing so without her real mother. MTV has ordered a fourth season of Awkward., according to Deadline Hollywood, and confirmed the news that broke the hearts of Awkward. fans over a month ago: Series creator and showrunner Lauren Iungerich will not be returning to the show. 

Replacing Iungerich will require two people, and MTV has hired Chris Alberghini and Mike Chessler. Who? Alberghini and Chessler created the VH1 "comedy" noTORIous starring Tori Spelling, so that's not exactly a positive sign. They also worked on 90210, Cashmere Mafia, and Reba as producers.

Awkward. came onto the scene as one of the most surprising series of 2011 with its mix of school smarts and a perfect encapsulation of the horrors of teen romance and acceptance. I didn't see all of the first half of Season 3, but what I did see seemed to have lost the punch of the "Matty or Jake?" question that propelled the first two seasons. It just didn't seem to have the same charm. Maybe I'll go back and marathon the rest of the episodes on a lazy afternoon, but I'm just not feeling Awkward. like I used to. Anyone else think the same?

There are still 10 Iungerich-ized episodes left in Awkward.'s third season, which resumes this fall. 

28 Comments
Comments (28)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
WHEN WILL IT AIR IN AUSTRALIA!!!
Flag
A show about a teen girl created by a woman is now being taken over by two guys. Why would they do this? I loved Awkward just the way it was.
Flag
When will season 4 air?
Flag
I like this show I understand the lack of punch! What they need to do is bring back R J Berger that show was legendary
Flag
I still don't understand why she quit the show...
Flag
Losing the creator isn't always a bad thing for example watch True Blood.
Flag
I honestly thought that the new guy would ruin TB season 6 but I was surely wrong... The show went from good to great again!
Flag
Oh, and that reminds me, an Awkward community would be nice.
Flag
Awkward's a fun show, so I don't think I obsess over what characters and/ or plots aren't working as much as I would with other shows. That being said, I don't think it's as great as it used to be - but not for the same reasons everyone else thinks.

I understand that people think the relationships have gone stale, especially after the 'resolution' love triangle. Honestly, I think the way Jenna and Matty's relationship has progressed is a natural one. Their attraction always only seemed physical to me, so for them to be having problems is understandable. I honestly don't think they belong together, and I'm actually a fan on Colin.

Jake and Tamara were intriguing at the beginning of their relationship, but after I got over the dynamic change between the main characters, things got boring.

I think the main problem with the show at the moment is that it has lost its meaning. Awkward should be what the title says it is. It used to be about a teenage girl struggling through middle school as a social outcast and trying desperately to fit in and experience a not so awkward life. But then the writers went and gave Jenna everything she wanted, and its turned Jenna into an unlikable character. Don't get me wrong, I love her character (she's extremely realistic), but there's really nothing awkward or painful about the current situations/ storylines she finds herself in because she has essentially become the popular girl.

I suggest for the show to get back to its roots that it needs to take Jenna back down a couple of pegs to back when her and Matty got together. Have the whole school find out she's cheating on Matty with Colin and see how she falls down the popularity ladder (an uncreative example, I know, but it just a basic idea of what the show could do to improve itself).
More+
Flag
I caught the upcoming episode early, so if you want Jenna's life to get difficult, well then you're in for a treat.
Flag
She's not the popular girl though, remember the episode where she felt like an outcast at her school? Yes, that was in Season 3. She felt more accepted in a different group of people who actually though that's she's cool.

I can't agree that she's an unlikeable character, personally I still like her as much as I did back in Seasons 1/2.
Flag
I still like Jenna, but just reading the comments on this thread alone demonstrates how many fans have begun to dislike her.

I couldn't recall the episode of which you spoke, but I did some recap reading and I think you're talking about 'That Girl Strikes Again'. You make a point, Jenna wasn't on the 'Hot' list next to Matty, and that is what made her feel insecure, which led her to ditching the traditional Halloween party and going to Colin's where she found she was a better fit.

This being said, Jenna has gotten everything she wanted from her relationship with Matty, and the natural progression of Jenna's personality is to want something more than just a 'Hot' boyfriend. She doesn't want to have to be considered 'Hot' or popular, which is why she's so drawn to Colin and his acceptance of her for who she is.

Basically Jenna has outgrown wanting these things, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have them. The episode synopsis for the next episode, 'Guilt Trippin'', reads 'During the homecoming pinnings, Jenna feels bad for the single girls who don't have dates to the dance, so she decides to take a stand, focusing on a social outsider named Christy'. Is this not a sign of a confident, self-aware, more privileged (read popular) character who is taking pity on someone she believes needs her sympathy? (who actually doesn't as it turns out in the episode). The fact is Jenna, and Tamara and Ming too, are a lot more socially accepted then they were at the beginning of the series, and while the show is still called Awkward, it has become less so as this phenomenon has increased.
More +
Flag
LUV IT
Flag
I haven't liked Season 3, so I'm hoping the new show runner can make me love the show again, but if not I don't think I'll care. It is still up in the air whether I'll even watch 3b.
Flag
Yay, I like this show, it's so silly, but that's why it works for me - you can just enjoy it, no concentration needed to follow complex story lines!
Flag
I'm hoping season 3.5 just starts off with a bang and keeps going through the finale because I really feel like all the first half of the season has done (other than bore me) is make me dislike Jenna. Like a lot. She's never happy! She's unpopular, she's not happy. She gets a guy, she's not happy. She gets TWO guys, she's not happy. She gets THE guy, she's not happy. She's popular, she's not happy like wtf does she want? I really hope losing Matty and her friends in 3.5 slaps her back down to reality. Don't get me wrong I still like the show and will continue to watch, but if Jenna still remains the same as she does in season 4, I hope she just ends up single because she doesn't deserve Matty right now that's for damn sure.
Flag
Season 3 has been a mess. Like I've said before, hopefully the show can get back on track.

I have to agree that Awkward has lost it's charm, but that's because they destroyed Jenna/Jake/Matty relationship and they turned Jake into a giant woman who does everything Tara tells him to do. Not enjoying it at all....
Flag
oops that was supposed to say Tamara! lol < my brain. :L

also I miss Val/Jenna scenes. they are always hilarious!
Flag
You know what would make this show great? If they hired Dan Harmon to run it.
Flag
S3 has been a bore. The Jake/Tamara relationship is so weird, Val has become a psycho, and I have long since forgotten what Matty ever saw in Jenna... and vice versa. Plus this strange sympathy-grasping for Sadie is not working. My hope for the latter part of S3 is that Jenna gets a new hairstyle, Tamara gets her jaw wired shut, Val gets institutionalized, Lacey gets set on fire, Ming gets elected president, and we get spared this promised fourth season run by people who actually involved themselves in a show called Cashmere Mafia.
Flag
Get your ass over here YOU COWARD !!

shame on you Lauren Lungerich..............
Flag
That is a really shittastic resume.
Flag
I'm just watching it to see what happens, but don't really care for it as much as I did the previous seasons
Flag
It's still a pretty good show, and I enjoyed season 3 for the most part (until the end where the whole Colin thing started up.) By the end of season 2, the whole love triangle got waaay too played out, and I started losing interest. It was nice seeing things calm down for a bit, but I'm also not looking forward to the rest of this season.
Flag
here's hoping they get back to being great in season 4, or even second half of 3... because the first half got on my nerves with all this intentionally produced angst just for the sake of it.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members