Babylon 5

Born to the Purple

Aired Monday 7:00 PM Feb 09, 1994 on

7.8
  • More character development for Londo

After being absent for the Soul Hunter episode, Londo and G'Kar return to centre stage once again for this episode which majors on the Centauri.

We find Londo in a relationship with an exotic dancer, something that would normally be something of a disagrace. It allows us to see the he is a person of great depth and complexity, yearning for the glory days 'the Great Centauri republic', whilst trying to find personal happiness. It turns out that Adira, his mistress, is a slave belonging to a bloke called Trakis, who is trying to get his hands on enough dirt to bring down the ambassador and seize the initiative in some unspecified battle against the Centauri.

At the same time, Londo is negotiating with G'Kar - in the end, Londo has little choice to but to give in to a compromise in order to get Sinclair to help him with his personal issues with Adira and Trakis. We see the sparring and striving to get the upper hand as G'Kar and Mollari clash. At this stage, the two protagonists seem evenly matched, but we'll soon see Londo gain ascendancy.

There is a secondary plot involving Ivanova using restricted comms channels to contact her dying father back on earth, and Garibaldi's feverish attempts to play Sherlock Holmes. The main purpose of this appears to be show the more human side of Ivanova, which hadn't really surfaced at this point.

Another solid episode in the early part of the story, telling us more about the main characters.