A Babylon 5 Community
(ended 1999)

With 2013 being the 20th anniversary of the broadcast of B5's pilot, "The Gathering", it's worth noting that it's also been at least 15 years since we've seen--and especially, heard--the original version of the pilot.

There are so many things to like about B5, and Christopher Franke's soundtracks certainly top the list. But, it's easy to forget that it was Stewart Copeland that composed the original soundtrack for "The Gathering". Of course, Copeland is best known for being the drummer of The Police, but he has also scribed numerous scores for television and film (including one of my personal favorites, 1984's Rumblefish). After Copeland was unable to commit to working on Season One, Franke was brought in to take over the continuing series. Then, in 1998, Franke rescored "The Gathering" in order to provide musical continuity from the pilot to the series--and Copeland's original soundtrack was doomed to perhaps never be heard again.

Oddly enough, early releases of "The Gathering" on DVD list Copeland as the composer on the back of the box--but it's Franke's version that's on the disk. I've picked up a few of these old DVDs, and have yet to find one with the original score. Bits and pieces can be found here and there on the internet, but it's not the same as seeing and hearing it on a proper DVD release.

Much like the Babylon 4 station, the original score seems to be lost in time--but I'm still hoping it'll suddenly pop-out somewhere and provide the answers to at least a few questions.

9 Comments
Comments (9)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Feb 01, 2014
Now this is a late comments, only because I joined the community today. I might be able to help you if you're still looking. On Wiki it says: The original version is available on AOL's In2Tv service, and Hulu. The original version was also released on DVD by Warner Home Video in Region 2 only. That last one is where I come in. I've got a region 2 DVD of The Gathering that says on the cover of the box it's Stewart Copeland, it says in the film it's Stewart Copeland and it's the same as the short YouTube film of the opening with the Stewart Copeland music. I won't sell you the disc but maybe we can arrange something else. Pm me.
Flag
Aug 13, 2013
I wanted to love this show when it came out, but I never thought the acting was very strong. The makeup was pretty awesome though.
Flag
Aug 13, 2013
one of the best series ever made. Love th estory telling, the acting the music
Flag
Aug 13, 2013
Thanks! I wrote it up this morning over two cups of coffee. I'm really glad to see some of the great, older shows getting communities and the attention that they deserve!
Flag
Staff
Aug 13, 2013
Fantastic work! Staff loved it so much they promoted this post to the homepage. It's up right now if you want to see :) Keep it up!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members