Babylon 5

Divided Loyalties

Aired Monday 7:00 PM Oct 12, 1995 on

• What the what!

Back to watching this show, and what a place to resume. That sure came out of the left field :D Really shocking.

It's actually a REALLY chilling concept - that you can think you know someone, and it's actually a fictional personality and the real one behind it is watching, laughing.... brrrr. It's the sort of thought that I imagine anyone with trust issues may encounter every day, and then they laid this on Ivanova, who already had a few issues as it was. I really felt for her, and I doubt she'll open herself up to trust again any time soon.

There seemed to be some same sex love here but I'm not sure. That's great if there was. It was very natural and believable, which is exactly how it should be (because that's how love IS) - usually anything to do with alternative sexualities on TV is handled terribly, it's either "they're all straight or anyone who's seemingly not has some reason like a past life or they're in a parallel universe" (Star Trek) or it's simply the gayest show in the world and jammed down throats with all the subtlety of a herd of elephants (Torchwood). And this is coming from a bisexual, so please don't get me wrong.

And what about the bombshell of Ivanova being a latent telepath! The one thing she hates the most..

It's one of those things where, you don't see it coming at all and yet it makes perfect sense after it's revealed. Not a good day for her eh.

Not alone in the romance, there seems to be Sheridan and Delenn boiling as well. Interesting.

Also I agree with Paracida, the friendship between Ivanova and Talia did seem very much out of the blue. I assumed it was just because I hadn't watched B5 for a while.

Really good stuff, just a couple of minor glitches. A solid 9 from me.
  • Babylon 5 has a mole for Psi-Corp. The original B5 telepath returns with that news, and a method for discovering who the culprit is. But, can she believed?

Some stunning revelations occur during this episode. We learn that Ivonava is a latent telepath, something that she has been keeping secret for many years.

We learn that Talia is the unwitting mole. I cannot say that I am sad to see her go, because I am not. I never liked her character much. She seemed stiff and annoying. She began to soften up towards the middle of season two, but it was too little too late. I wonder who the replacement will be. I'd like to see Lyta Alexander stay, but I beleive she has something grander to do than be a mere commercial telepath.

We also get our first look at Kosh without his protective suit. Well, I guess that is a lie. But he does reveal himself to Lyta.

The relationship between Sheridan and Delenn is progressing. While not at a romantic level yet, the writers do seem to be hinting that a romantic involvement is in the future.

Any of you notice the Rangers in each episode recently? While they have not had anything major to do, you can see them in the background of various episodes.
  • Divided Loyalties

Divided Loyalties was a perfect and classic episode of Babylon 5. I really enjoyed watching this episode and seeing Sheridan and Delenn have more precious moments together. I thought this episode had a really cool story bringing Lyta Alexander back to Babylon 5. This episode was fun to watch as Ivanova became paranoid at the prospect of Lyta in her mind. I thought there was a tender moment between Ivanova and Talia, perhaps an unexplored character development? Too bad we won't find out for sure! I thought the ending of this episode was very intriguing and I look forward to watching more episodes of Babylon 5!!!!!!!
  • Never know who you can trust

This episode somehow comes from pure air without any warning. Ok, we know Susan and Talia became friends, or at least overcame their differences but now we just suddenly learn how good friends they have become. That just looks little odd but I understand they needed this for the episode, and so there it is. I used to like this episode a lot when I first watch the serie. Talia and Susan used to be my favorite chars but I think I just needed to grow some years to get over that childish and girlish admiration for them to realize that Talia never worked too well as char. Ok, she was very interesting char and the gift Jason gave him - it gave much promise for her and I thought she could have done a lot but as I said - I thought she never worked out as well as hoped. She was little there and she had very little connections with major storylines or if she was a major storyline - no one else had connections to her, most of the time. But somehow I am still sad she is gone like with Sinclair - there were some many possibles storylines what never had changes.
  • who can you trust.

divided loyalities is a great episode.it start to tells us things about susans, a secrect shes been keeping, and now it becomes clear that shes been hiding something.and about taila. the surpire return of the first former resident telepath of babylon 5 lyta alexandra, where has she been for two years.this is not to be a happy reunion.she brings grim news-one of the stations key officers is a sleeper a spy planted by the dreaded psi-corps.such a person could unwittingly gather secrects for years,without knowing they were betraying their friends and colleagues.how can shedian believe a story from someone who vanished two years ago?.if the story is true,how can he afford not to?.trust no one.
  • A spy is on B-5 and some changes occur

There some mysterious goings on on the station. Lidia Alexander is back with informtion. Psi Corp has a sleeper on board and she wants to help find that mole. We find out about Susans past, her mother specifically. Talia Winters and Susan's relationship undergos some changes. Te
    he sleeper is reveled.