Babylon 5 Forums

(ended 1999)

Who was your favourite character?

darkbunni

[1]May 7, 2006
    • level: 6

I'm surprised no one has done this one yet - personally my fave is Ivanova, but I Marcus is a close second (he's british too, heehee)

So who does everyone else like?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

FoxMulder_GMAN

[2]May 9, 2006
    • level: 21
    wow, I had never thought about it, but it's got to be Garibaldi. But all of the characters at one time or another were favorites:

Ivanova because of her attitude. (she's even more of a pessimist that i am!)Plus the great speech she gave when the VOR made it's first broadcast!

Marcus because he was just so snide and cool...the consumate British man (Although not to be outdone on Buffy by Anthony Stewart Head) And his crush on Ivanova was played out perfectly.

Sinclair: This character was a lot better than a lot of fans give it credit for. His speech in "Parliament of dreams" about religion is one of the best tv speeches ever.

Sheridan: Bruce Boxleitner is just one of the best actors of our generation, and until I saw himn on B5 I thought the best role he ever had was on Scarcrow and Mrs. King, but his role as John Sheridan totally surpassed that.

Delenn and Lenier were just funny on screen when they were toghether. I wish though that they would have found a better way to deal with Lenier in season 5.

G'kar-no need to elaborate here. Andreas was one of the best actors I ever had the pleasure to see act and I miss him.

And of course Franklin. I loved him because he was flawed (like Garibaldi) and those flaws made him an interesting character.

Mikhail_M

[3]May 10, 2006
    • level: 9
    Likewise, I had a lot of favorites... Garibaldi and Vir top the list, though.

Other than those, I very much liked Marcus, Londo, Lennier, Sinclair (agree on this, he's not given enough credit), and Ivanova.

Got to give JMS a lot of credit for this (along with the actors, of course)... he created a lot of really good characters for B5, and I think that's what made it such a great show.

BuddhaSmoker

[4]May 20, 2006
    • level: 3
    I like the original Kosh not the replacement one. Then I would have to go with Marcus. And a final character that was all the way through the series that I loved was G'kar.

Croptop

[5]May 21, 2006
    • level: 1
    While G'Kar is a fantastic character and helped to escalate B5 to the great show that it is, my absolute favourite character has to be:

Zathras

"Everyone always coming to Zathras with problems. Great
    responsibilities. But Zathras does not mind. Zathras trained in crisis
    management."

heeroyuy2006

[6]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 8
    I really liked the G'Kar/Londo friendship and Londo/Vir friendship, so, those three characters are my favorites. However, I liked all the other main characters, too.

nadavp3

[7]Jun 15, 2006
    I personally like Dellen. she was fascinating and please don't laugh, but I've always found her kind of attractive as well (in a weird alien way)

heeroyuy2006

[8]Jun 15, 2006
    • level: 8
    nadavp3 wrote:
    I personally like Dellen. she was fascinating and please don't laugh, but I've always found her kind of attractive as well (in a weird alien way)

There's nothing to laugh about. Delenn is fascinating and very attractive. I mean do you really think Captain/President Sheridan would have married her if she wasn't?

Paradigne

[9]Jun 15, 2006
    • level: 2
    Delenn was attractive. I really freaked out whe she showed up on LOST. Or, well... her Character did

I think Garabaldi was well written.

G'kar was very well written too

nadavp3

[10]Jun 16, 2006
    Paradigne wrote:
    Delenn was attractive. I really freaked out whe she showed up on LOST. Or, well... her Character did
    exactly what I thought ! it was so weird... did she do something interesting in between Babylon and Lost?

lokenc

[11]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 4
    My absulute favourites were the 3 ambassadors because they are great actors.
    after that it would be
    Ivonava
    Marcus
    Garibaldi (season 1-3, he never really got over the mind control thing)
    Steven
    Sheriden (once again he wasnt the same after he died, in a way he seemed more cold and mean.)
    Vir
    Linnear

Both Garibaldi and Sheridan are great characters and personal favourites of mine but I just found it harder to like them in seasons 4 and 5 and yes there were reasons for that.

lokenc

[12]Jun 25, 2006
    As you can tell from the above post its hard for me to pick just one character. If I had to it would probably be G'kar but I think they are all great.

sammystevenson

[13]Jul 3, 2006
    • level: 7

I couldn't possibly pick just one!

Marcus, for hormonal reasons :-) And then there's G'Kar, Londo, Delenn...

Hell, I like just about everyone, except Byro...

sammystevenson

[14]Jul 3, 2006

lokenc wrote:
    after that it would be
    Ivonava
    Marcus
    Steven
    Sheriden (once again he wasnt the same after he died, in a way he seemed more cold and mean.)
    Vir
    Linnear

Both Garibaldi and Sheridan are great characters and personal favourites of mine but I just found it harder to like them in seasons 4 and 5 and yes there were reasons for that.

Same here. Garibaldi was my favourite to begin with, but I wasn't all to fond of what happened with his character in seasons 4 & 5. He got a bit too whiny for my liking, and the alcohol-thing got old very quickly.

FoxMulder_GMAN

[15]Jul 3, 2006
    sammystevenson wrote:

lokenc wrote:
    after that it would be
    Ivonava
    Marcus
    Steven
    Vir
    Linnear

Same here. Garibaldi was my favourite to begin with, but I wasn't all to fond of what happened with his character in seasons 4 & 5. He got a bit too whiny for my liking, and the alcohol-thing got old very quickly.

personally, I really enjoyed the season 5 Garibaldi. I thought his drinking problem was handled extremely realistically. If it would have been dealt with and resolved in just one episode, I would have felt cheated. However, the fact that it played out over several weeks made it extremely relevent and realistic, because, let's face it, alcoholics go through all of the stages that he went through in season 5: the major trauma that lead to it, the denial, trying to hide it, slow realization that it's true, hurting those closest to him, dwindling job performance and the slow, painful road to recovery. I always felt Garibaldi's drinking problem was a parallel to Franklin's stim problem in season 3. There, Garibaldi was the only one willing to confront Franklin, while in season 5, Franklin was the first one to realize something wasn't right with his friend. Very poetic actually.

lokenc

[16]Jul 4, 2006
    I should be more clear. Garibaldi started annoying me in the 4th and 5th but while I didnt like the character as much I did like the story lines. The 4th season plot was really interessting but I wish it could be a different character since he was onr of my favourites before.
    As for the alcholism it was very well handled. My favourite one in that plot was when Lochley confronted him. That was when I finally started to like her character. It was dissapointing that the series ended just as we were getting to know Lochley. For that and for the sack of tying up some plotlines I would have liked a season 6.

sammystevenson

[17]Jul 4, 2006
    FoxMulder_GMAN wrote:
    sammystevenson wrote:

lokenc wrote:
    after that it would be
    Ivonava
    Marcus
    Steven
    Vir
    Linnear

personally, I really enjoyed the season 5 Garibaldi. I thought his drinking problem was handled extremely realistically. If it would have been dealt with and resolved in just one episode, I would have felt cheated. However, the fact that it played out over several weeks made it extremely relevent and realistic, because, let's face it, alcoholics go through all of the stages that he went through in season 5: the major trauma that lead to it, the denial, trying to hide it, slow realization that it's true, hurting those closest to him, dwindling job performance and the slow, painful road to recovery. I always felt Garibaldi's drinking problem was a parallel to Franklin's stim problem in season 3. There, Garibaldi was the only one willing to confront Franklin, while in season 5, Franklin was the first one to realize something wasn't right with his friend. Very poetic actually.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree completely! it was all very realistic and interesting too in a way.

I guess my main gripe is that Garibaldi used to be a fun character (he was my favourite in the first couple of seasons), but when he started drinking again I didn't like who he became. I know that was the point, but that doesn't mean I like it :-)

lokenc

[18]Jul 4, 2006
    Yeah I agree. I think we kinda saw the old Garibaldi in "A call to Arms" and "River of Souls" but that was the only time.

FoxMulder_GMAN

[19]Jul 4, 2006
    Oh i think we saw him in Sleeping in Light also. Of course, that's 20 years later, so, presumably, Garibaldi had exorcised his demons by that point. I think it's safe to say that by River of Souls he had started to get back to the old Garibaldi

lokenc

[20]Jul 5, 2006
    Yeah forgot about sleeping in light.