Babylon 5

Grail

Aired Monday 7:00 PM Jul 06, 1994 on

7.4
  • No boom?

What a weird, but wonderful, episode. As the commenter before me says, charming.

Coming from Star Trek (I guess I'm going to end up saying that a lot), I love the idea of being highly respectful of other cultures and beliefs - something that TNG in particular pushed a lot - and enjoying their merits instead of picking at their weaknesses. Delenn is quite right - it's about the quest, the way of life - they know as well as anyone else that they probably won't find the Grail, but that's not the point. They've already found what people are *really* looking for.

Which is why it did grate on me early on when Sinclair and Garibaldi were snickering and smirking. I don't know if I was instinctively holding them to Trekkian standards or something but: really, guys? Someone has found a purpose in life that means something to him and that keeps him positive and kind-hearted and you can't keep a straight face about it in front of the guy? In the 23rd century? Goodness, do grow up!

Thankfully they did. They got to learn the merits of this guy and what he believes in and seemed much more open minded and educated by the end. In a sense that was very satisfying.

Yeah all in all I really enjoyed this, it made me all warm and fuzzy and that's what good TV is all about, for me anyway.

I could take or leave the gangster part of the story, but it helped flesh it out a bit.

That and I got to see the context of the famous "no boom?" clip that is a bit of an internet meme :) Very funny.