Babylon 5

No Compromises

Aired Monday 7:00 PM Jan 21, 1998 on

• A strange new season

I miss Ivanova and Marcus :( No one can ever replace Ivanova, much like no one was able to replace a particular DS9 character.

In a way, my mind is cast back to season 2 when Sheridan joined, that worry of "is he really a nice guy like Sinclair?" (he was, of course, and despite some physical resemblance to Nick Clegg, one for standing by what he believes in), except it looks like this time Sheridan of all people has decided that a "nice" captain isn't required. We shall see!

A pretty grim start with killing off some poor kid.

And as for letting the telepaths stay - the irritating thing about the finale of season 4 is we already know how it turns out. JMS indicated that "knowing about the bomb under the dinner table while the guests are unaware" (or something like that) is his narrative style at this point, also deciding to introduce the prequel movie (and its spoilers) for new viewers. I think that's fair, but not to my personal tastes, I like surprises and unspoiled plot twists. That said, at least it being written that way is different to it being written as a secret and spoiled elsewhere.
  • I don't like the new folk.

I don't care if she's the best captain B5 ever has, I don't care that people think she's hot, I don't like Captain Lochley because she's Ivanova's replacement. I also think it would have made for a lot more intersting drama in the "who's in charge" situation if it was someone who was used to taking orders from Sheridan and had to work to break out from that. But it's an imperfect universe. And I was wondering how they were going to get Garibaldi back into things. What perfect job for him. I vaguely recall in the last episode if season 4 the future historians saying that letting the telepaths on Babylon 5 was a mistake, so I'm not looking forward to Byron and his crew being around.
  • No Compromises

No Compromises was a really superb episode of Babylon 5 and an interesting season 5 opening episode. I really enjoyed watching as Lochley arrives on Babylon 5 to take command. I thought it was great that Sheridan discussed with her why she was chosen. It was cool to see Sheridan and Delenn now that they are married. It was interesting to see that some still want to see Sheridan dead and will go to great lengths to make it happen. There were a lot of great scenes, plenty of drama, intrigue, and character development. This season doesn't quite have a direction yet, however I think it was off to a great start. I look forward to the next episode!!!!!
  • the new captain arrives in b5. as well as the telepaths

in this episode the new co captain lockly arrives on the station to take over the command. there is a person on the station who is trying to kill president sherdian. mr garibaldi who was once cheif of security is back on the station but now he is working for the president covert intelligents. zac and garibaldi are trying to find out who is trying to kill sherdian. meanwhile the telepaths arrive on the station. there leader a man name bryon who asks if he can form a place down below for his telepaths. we also see garibaldi and lockly clashing heads. this will be explain in the up coming episodes.