Babylon 5

Passing Through Gethsemane

Aired Monday 7:00 PM Nov 30, 1995 on

• Thought provoking

Well, I've kind of found that I don't always have things to say about the episodes or the energy to do so, but I'll keep chipping in when they're really interesting.

This being one of them. It's just a really thought provoking concept - what if instead of prison or execution you could have your mind wiped and start afresh as someone new, and kind. For someone with remorse this could be an alluring concept.

But then we see how others are less willing to let go. This "new person" could then end up a victim. I can believe that very easily.

Also on the morality side, we have Lyta Alexander being used to force information out of minds. At first you think "well, it's ok, he's a bad guy" but that's exactly the point and exactly the type of thinking that is scary to have and that we should be avoiding. I thought they used a dangerously dark tactic here and hope it is addressed in some way in later episodes.

And then, full circle, we have the next murderer being sentenced to the same thing, and Sheridan catching himself feeling the same feelings.

Just really makes you think this one. Great stuff.
  • Passing Through Gethsemane

Passing Through Gethsemane was a great episode of Babylon 5. I enjoyed watching this episode because Lyta Alexander returns to Babylon 5 from the Vorlon Homeworld to work as an aide for Kosh. It was really cool to see more of the Vorlon's ship. I thought the story line with the monks was a very interesting concept and provided circumstances for the main characters to grow from. I thought there were some touching moments as well as plenty of suspensful intrigue. This episode is a little slow at times but over all it was good. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!
  • the mystery of where lyta alexander where has she been.

this is an alright episode but it wasn't my favourite. in this one two things are happening. a group of monks arrive on babylon 5 and lyta alexander returns back to the station on a vorlon ship. what is the black rose and why is brother edward haunted by visions of ghastly murders and a smiling killer?. when theses disturbing visions reveal grotesques and unpleasant truths about his former occupation his very life and sanity are put in danger. suspicion also surronds lyta the stations first former telepath who reapears after 2 years claiming to have visited the vorlon home world.
  • Amazingly moving episode

I have to say.. This episode has been one of my favorite ones. There was just something in the story, what I loved so much, that moved me deeply. I am no way religious person but the story and tragic of brother Edward.. I mean, the way she talked to Delenn about his believes and what was most important to him in his believes and how he managed to get in that situation and find answer to his doubts: would he had the courage to stay. And the whole way this episode was built.. from start to the end.. and the scene in the end.. Sheridan meeting brother Malcolm, just as when they were talking about of forgiveness...