Babylon 5

Points of Departure

Aired Monday 7:00 PM Nov 02, 1994 on

• Points of Departure

Points of Departure was a great first episode of the second season of Babylon 5. I really enjoyed watching this episode as we were introduced to Babylon 5's new Commanding Officer John Sheridan. There was a lot of character development in this episode as well as plot development. I enjoyed learning more about the characters and figuring out what the future may hold by the clues given in this episode. This episode definitely lays the ground work for the rest of this season. The end of this episode was mysterious and leaves a few questions. I look forward to watching more of Babylon 5!!!!!!!
  • one of the Greatest sci-fi shows ever

i just finished watching season 1 and was amazed at how great the story and acting was. usually it takes a few seasons for a sci-fi show to it its stride .but babylon 5 was great from the begining. i watched episode after episode to see if it was just a fluke but i was so rivited to my tv set i could not believe it from lando to garabaldi to ivanova it was just one great episode after another. i just dont understand why after 5 seasons it ended. even star trek Enterprise lasted 4 seasons and that was just GARBAGE. i wish it could have lasted a few more seasons season 5 ended and ther was so much to wrap up. they could have made atleast 3 more seasons OH WELL
  • we have a new co on babylon 5 captain john sheridan.

in this new season of babylon 5 points of departure we see that garibaldi's still in a coma. and ambassador delenn is in a cocoon. dr franklin is trying everything to get him out of it. commander sinclair has been resigned to the minbari home world. and we have a new co. it has been our secrect. now it is yours it must be kept.. what is the terrible secert revealed to babylon 5 new captain. a man the minbari fear and hate calling him the star killer. captain sheridan faces a conforntation with invincible minbari war crusier which threatens to destroy babylon 5 and precipate a new intersellar conflict between the two races.
  • John Sheridan takes over as the new commander of Babylon 5. His first task involves dealing with a renegade Mimbari group.

This episode was a great beginning to season 2. The mystery of what happened to the old commander when taken aboard the Mimbari cruiser is solved (well...there is still some mystery there). It was a great introduction to Sheridan's character. He was given a problem to solve and he solves it in 45 minutes.

The rest of the crew is still in jeopardy from the finale of season 1. Gerabaldi is still in critical condition and Delenn is still in her cocoon. Also the alien threat that was mentioned in the story arc of season one was not mentioned in this episode. It was an intro episode and it was done very well. Since this series was deemed a novel for television, sometimes you just have to have an episode to introduce new characters. This was the one for Captain John Sheridan. Definately a great episode!
  • Still reeling after the events of Season One, Babylon 5 must adjust to its new CO, Captain Sheridan.

More brilliance from Babylon 5. This is one of the most underrated Sci-fi shows on TV, if not THE most underrated.

My only complaint about Sheridan replacing Sinclair is that Sinclair’s voice suits the opening credits more.

This show is primarily a bridge between season one and season two. A new commander has arrived. More information is given on Delenn, although she still in her cocoon. G’Kar is not back from exploring the destruction in Quadrant 37. Garibaldi is still in a coma.

But that it not saying that nothing happens. While the story goes slow because some major characters are otherwise occupied, we learn about the events that take place since the end of season one. This includes information on Sheridan and a rare moment of emotion from Ivonava.

While not the greatest episode ever, it is a rather good one that has me quite excited for the rest of the season.
  • Sinclair is gone.. Sheridan is here...

Oh.. this is always the hardest part while I watch this serie. I love the first season and I really liked Sinclair as a commander but now he is gone and new guy, who first looks like a lot of different, Sheridan is here and we have to get used with him.

Ofcourse new char gives a lot of changes to have new storylines and some of his past is now introduced - he, again, had part in Earth-Minbari war and minbaries hate him. And that gets him to the trouble in his first day.

I love the way Susan described him what is going on in Babylon 5 - G'Kar disappeared, Delenn in cocoon and Garibaldi in critical condition.. and I think there could be more.. that is a crazy place.
  • So long, Sinclair

Awww, I'll miss the commander with his kind heart and... that cute little way he'd talk to people while looking kind of upwards-and-sideways at them... *sniffle* :P Seriously I'd really warmed to Sinclair/O'Hare (and his friendship with Garibaldi) it's extremely disappointing to see that "THUD", he just left like that. Ouch :( Watching B5 won't be the same without him, I'd really come to consider him the face of the show.

Originally I was rather scathing with my review for just dumping him with a few lines of exposition, but this is an edit and re-rate as in fairness it seems O'Hare wanted to leave, so their hands were tied. What else could they do (maybe pay him more)

I also actually wasn't aware that he died late last year (I just read it now while looking up his reasons for leaving B5). That makes this all the more heartbreaking. RIP Michael, and thanks for the memories. You will be missed in both worlds.

I still find it a little disappointing that most of the story of S1 . Sinclair's memory hole, the reasons for the Minbari ending the war, the reasons he was chosen for B5 etc were all just explained away in a few lines of exposition here. I guess it's more difficult to show instead of telling when the guy it all revolves around isn't there any more, but it was all just a bit too sudden.

On the plus side, Sheridan isn't bad. He seems a kind hearted, down to earth guy, which is what I liked about Sinclair as well and no doubt it was always the intention that if O'Hare would leave then they'd replace him with a very similar character (though I can't help worrying that the guy playing Sheridan kind of resembles Nick Clegg, hehe). At least he's not some nasty guy we have to put up with for ages.

Not quite perfect, and I'm really going to miss Sinclair even if he may have reprised his role for the odd one or two episodes. But well, we move on. Much like I got used to the 10th and 11th Doctors, I'm sure I'll get used to the second leader of B5.