Babylon 5

Points of Departure

Aired Monday 7:00 PM Nov 02, 1994 on

• So long, Sinclair

Awww, I'll miss the commander with his kind heart and... that cute little way he'd talk to people while looking kind of upwards-and-sideways at them... *sniffle* :P Seriously I'd really warmed to Sinclair/O'Hare (and his friendship with Garibaldi) it's extremely disappointing to see that "THUD", he just left like that. Ouch :( Watching B5 won't be the same without him, I'd really come to consider him the face of the show.

Originally I was rather scathing with my review for just dumping him with a few lines of exposition, but this is an edit and re-rate as in fairness it seems O'Hare wanted to leave, so their hands were tied. What else could they do (maybe pay him more)

I also actually wasn't aware that he died late last year (I just read it now while looking up his reasons for leaving B5). That makes this all the more heartbreaking. RIP Michael, and thanks for the memories. You will be missed in both worlds.

I still find it a little disappointing that most of the story of S1 . Sinclair's memory hole, the reasons for the Minbari ending the war, the reasons he was chosen for B5 etc were all just explained away in a few lines of exposition here. I guess it's more difficult to show instead of telling when the guy it all revolves around isn't there any more, but it was all just a bit too sudden.

On the plus side, Sheridan isn't bad. He seems a kind hearted, down to earth guy, which is what I liked about Sinclair as well and no doubt it was always the intention that if O'Hare would leave then they'd replace him with a very similar character (though I can't help worrying that the guy playing Sheridan kind of resembles Nick Clegg, hehe). At least he's not some nasty guy we have to put up with for ages.

Not quite perfect, and I'm really going to miss Sinclair even if he may have reprised his role for the odd one or two episodes. But well, we move on. Much like I got used to the 10th and 11th Doctors, I'm sure I'll get used to the second leader of B5.