Babylon 5

(ended 1999)

Gislef

Babylon 5 Fan Reviews page 4 of 5

• Mindblowingly good sci-fi. You're not truly a fan of science fiction TV until you've seen this show.

Babylon 5 was a show I got into long after its original run when it was running in reruns on the Space channel. I was lucky enough to start watching it very near the beginning of the show, so I was able to see it in order. For a lot of science fiction shows, that wouldn’t be important, but Babylon 5 isn’t your average show. The story arc of the entire series was set out before the first episode was even made. There are lots of foreshadowing, hints, and references to previous episodes sprinkled through the series, but not so much that one absolutely needs to see every episode to understand what’s happening. The acting is usually well done with the notable exception of some guest stars. The 5th season was also rather weak, but hey, nobody’s perfect. B5 is a must-see for all sci-fi fans, but steer clear of the semi-spin off Crusade.
  • A show with a fantastic story that suffers from occasionally below-average writing and acting.

I didn't give Babylon 5 (B5) a chance when it first came out. I watched the pilot, thought it was goofy-looking, and didn't watch it again for years. Honestly, though, the real problem was that it wasn't Star Trek. And the first episode was the worst one. When TNT started showing it a few years back, I was able to watch all of them in order in just a few months. Man, what a show.

Here's the beauty of B5: the story. If you've heard anything about this show, then you've heard that the creator, J. Michael Stracynzski (JMS), had a five-year story arc. What's interesting about that is that he planned it out before he ever wrote one epsiode. What this enables you to do as a writer is set things up way in advance, insert comments, and do boatloads of foreshadowing, which makes for great repeat viewings.

Comparing B5 to, say, Star Trek isn't even fair. Star Trek is episodic and (like most TV) unplanned. They started with a concept and riffed on that to make shows. Sometimes Star Trek couldn't even make a convincing two-part story arc (Picard as Borg, anyone?). B5 had a 110-episode story arc. If I were to give B5 a 9, Star Trek would get about a 4. [As a sidebar, this is also the problem with at least the first three seasons of 24 (I didn't watch the fourth one). Nobody was home at the controls. It was obvious that they only wrote a few episodes in advance, which really hamstrung the plot.]

This isn't to say that there are no problems with B5. In fact, if it weren't for the incredibly strong story, I would probably only give this show a 6 or 7. The acting, especially early on, can be pretty bad. The writing can be stiff and corny at times. The production suffered from a vastly smaller budget than that lavished on other shows. The threat of cancellation at the end of season four forced JMS to fast-forward his arc a little bit, which left season five with not enough to do.

But in the end, none of that matters. The story grabs you and propels you forward. There are so many moments of awe and excitement as the various threads that JMS weaves come together. In essence, it's like somebody onstage juggling ten balls for five years (he wrote almost all of the episodes for seasons three through five). Yeah, he drops a couple every once in awhile, but when it's clicking, it's great.
  • This is a great show that I would have given a 10 if it wasn't for the last season. The show went down hill after the Shadow War was over.

If you watch the episodes a couple of times you will notice more and more things. The first couple of times I was too captivated to notice the characters nuonces.

I remember that I had to tape the show since I had to work. Later that night watching Delen come out of the warphole to defend B5 was one of the greatest moments of the show.

Many of the emotions that you feel when watching B5 is exactly what the creators wanted you to feel as you watched.

This show to me ranks right up their with Star Trek. It may not have as many episodes, but in the ones that it did have were outstanding(Not counting the last season).
  • The best Sci-fi show ever!

There can be little doubt that Babylon 5 must be in the top 3 sci-fi series ever made. The 5-year arc was simply amazing and made such a change to the other single-episode series that were, and still are, constantly being made. The visual effects were stunning, the acting was great and we saw that characters actually had depth while watching many personalities change quite dramatically by the end of it.

Even people who hate sci-fi usually got into this, because the stories were just so good and the science fiction part wasn’t really the focus. There was always a humorous element, but thankfully there were no annoying ‘comic’ characters that have been known to ruin other series.

JMS should be justifiably proud of what he managed to achieve here. Things went a bit awry for the last season, but that can be blamed well and truly on the network not renewing in time

I have yet to see another show that comes close.
  • A five year journey following a station and it inhabitants as both grow, change and shape the universe around them.

By far the best Sci Fi show ever J. Michael Straczynski is a genius the five year plot is fantastic. Even the filler episodes were fun to watch. As a character leaves your sad and a little mad but the show makes you like there replacement. A show that makes you think,
    Laugh and almost cry but most of all entertains and is that not why we all watch TV.
  • One of the best SciFi shows with an amzing story made the show a classic. The special effects were good for the time, still not the best. Acting is descent and the characters are well developed.

One of the best SciFi shows. The story to this show is what makes it amazing. The special effects were good for the time, still not the best. Acting is descent and the characters are well developed. This is a must see from beginning to end. Its all about the story on this show!
  • A fight for the ballance.

Maybe the greatest sci-fi show ever made. Though the first season is at best mediocre they make the best of it on the next seasons. The big story arch unfolds on a good rate. New elements are added and the same time old ones are used to deepen the story. When you watch those earlier episodes the second time they have a whole new meaning.

The basic plot isn't about the good and the evil like it first seems to be. There aren't evil and good sides. It's about chaos and order. And the fight is for the ballance between these two. This one great aspect of the show.

There are many great characters who all play a big role. Many of them seem at first only as a comic relief but they have their parts. Many of them evolve much over the years.

Maybe the first show with a long story and not only episodes after the others. This show has set a stardard for modern sci-fi television and still rules as the godfather.
  • scifi can't get more scifi then this. or can it?

Babylon 5 is one of the TV shows we all wish we had come across sooner. as a massive star trek fan i saw the first few episodes of b5 in its initial run and immediately thought it was below par. at the urging of a friend i came back to it a few years later.... wow! to say i was impressed was an understatement, i immediately began to re-watch the whole series and saw he genius of the story arc and character development. in addition to this the use of aliens that looks alien, use different gasses to breath, are more advanced technologically and (shock) actually speak a language other than English was a joy! the battle scenes were wonderful, well beyond anything i had seen before and as for londo and g'kar, if there are 2 finer characters in all of television then that TV show is doing well. funny, awe inspiring, intelligent and emotional b5 has it all, the only drawback being that sometimes the walls are a little flimsy, sometimes the effects are a little below par, but willing suspension of disbelief is necessary in sci-fi, and b5 is no exception. is b5 a work of genius? definitely, without question yes, but could parts of it be better? those niggly little things that gnaw at us i'm afraid would have brought b5 up a notch, but it remains , without question, one of the finest shows, not just sci-fi, but shows that i have ever seen!
  • The Babylon stations finally shopped disappering nd became a place fo peace

I think Babylon 5 was the first sci fi show, that I watched that wasn't a show all about fluff. It wasn't a dark show, not as dark as it could be, but for the times it was a revolutionary thing. I didn't start wathing until the second season, got hooked and patiently waited to see them all.
  • One of the finest sci-fi stories ever crafted, in my opinion (and I can't stand any of the 'Star Trek's). Here is the recommended order in which to watch the episodes.....

One of the finest sci-fi stories ever crafted, in my opinion (and I can't stand any of the 'Star Trek's). Here is the recommended order in which to watch the episodes, as the original airdate order on the dvds is not the ideal order.

BABYLON 5

'The Gathering'

Season One ("Signs and Portents")
    1.01 Midnight on the Firing Line
    1.21 The Quality of Mercy
    1.14 TKO
    1.17 Legacies
    1.22 Chrysalis

Season Two ("The Coming Of Shadows")
    2.01 Points of Departure
    2.19 Divided Loyalties
    2.20 The Long, Twilight Struggle
    2.21 Comes the Inquisitor
    2.22 The Fall of Night

Season Three ("Point of No Return")
    3.01 Matters of Honor
    3.19 Grey 17 Is Missing
    3.20 And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place
    3.21 Shadow Dancing
    3.22 Z'ha'dum

Season Four ("No Surrender, No Retreat")
    4.01 The Hour of the Wolf
    4.02 Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi?
    4.03 The Summoning

4.20 Endgame
    4.21 Rising Star
    4.22 The Deconstruction of Falling Stars

'In the Beginning'

Season Five (“The Wheel of Fire”)
    5.01 No Compromises
    5.22 Sleeping in Light

'River of Souls'

'A Call to Arms'

Crusade
    (This ordering, which JMS specified, ignores the uniform change in favor of maintaining continuity of storyline.)

1.09 Racing the Night
    1.06 Ruling from the Tomb
    1.07 The Rules of the Game
    1.01 War Zone
    1.08 Appearances and Other Deceits

'The Legend of the Rangers'
  • A classic space-opera that had romance, adventure, and morals. Aliens, space ships, and war...what more could you ask for? Follow the lives of humans and aliens as they try to live in peace together on a space station.

B5 was ahead of its' time. A definite story-line that stayed true to itself. The characters were multi-layered and you became engrossed in their lives as they played out week-to-week. Watching as the Mimbari proved to be the humans best allies and the Centauri prove to be traitors, the human government become corrupt and then purge itself, and the Narn become a model for endurance--there was a race or character that everyone could see a part of themselves. For all the political and social overtones, the show was basically a love story...love for mankind, space, and between Delen and Sheridan.
  • this series is one of the best I have ever seen, and I personally think the only mistake they ever made was not keeping it on one chanel for all 5 Seasons

The series had order and they planed things out far enoght ahead to allow for 2 episodes from 2 different Seasons to interact with eachother. Inaddition, the TV movies they had added to the depth of the story, and how veried this world really was. Personally I\\\'d Like to see a Sequal that has the aliance in the middle stages of its existance when it starts to have access to the vorlon homeworld.
  • Babylon 5 is the best TV series ever created. The intensity, atmosphere, plot, characters, music, action, drama, humor, actors and everything about it is top notch. B5 is not merely incredible or magnificent, it's divine.

The first time I watched this series I was young and even then a huge SciFi-fan. I loved B5. Recently I watched the whole thing on DVD. I still love it, this time even more, since I understood the series better.

The series starts out with a slow first season. It does a good job of introducing the characters, gives them a solid base from which they can evolve later on. The characters are one of the main assets of B5, you know what I mean if you have seen the series. The chemistry between Londo and G'Kar, Delenn and Sheridan, Ivanova and Marcus Cole etc. There are so many great characters in B5.

With season 2 the series really starts to build the huge epic tale that started with the first season. The atmosphere and intensity of the series starts to build up, Londo and G'Kar have their first seriously dramatic moments. What is magnificent is the acting on those parts.. Londo and G'Kar are both delivered so well that I can't describe it as anything else than perfection.

Season 3 and Season 4 are perhaps the climax seasons for many, including me. There's a lot of action and we see the Shadow conflict resolve. There are a lot of very dramatic episodes which really give you shudders.

Season 5 has always been controversial.. some think it's not so good but that's not true at all. The reason people believe season 5 is bad is because the climax seasons were before it. In season 5 we have a completely different storyline, which works quite well. There's one very dramatic episode that resolves that storyline.

Then we come to the 2 final episodes, which were both incredible. I remember crying a bit when I was younger, but when I watched B5 on DVD recently I didn't expect to cry like a baby when I saw the episode before last and especially in the last episode. The last one was incredibly sad and dramatic, one of the best episodes of Babylon 5.

One thing B5 excells in is humor. In B5 there are moments when you really laugh your butt off the couch. There are very tragic, dramatic episodes and in those episodes there can be very funny moments, or the other way around. The lines of Susan Ivanova and the chemistry between Londo and G'Kar will make anyone with a decent sense of humor laugh like there's no tomorrow.

Also if you like movie music and appreciate good music in a series.. you'll definitely love the music that B5 includes. Christopher Franke is truly a genious. The music is beyond excellent.

As a final note to conclude my review, I'd like to say that this is really the kind of series you need to watch from beginning to the end. It's true that there are a couple of lousy episodes on the way but even those are worth watching just for the few good words the magnificent characters might have to say.

You just can't get everything out of the major episodes if you don't watch this all the way. Especially the last episodes of the series are dramatic beyond anything I could've believed possible, but that's what B5 is. Dramatic in a way you never expected. Beautiful beyond description. Intense. With an atmosphere that no other series has managed to produce.

And believe me, I have seen a lot of series.
  • great scifi show

"Babylon 5" is a tale of war and diplomacy, love and hate, fate and personal responsibility, and the two sides of prejudice.
    my favourite characters were Captain Sheridan, Michael Garibaldi, Susan Ivanova, Delenn, G'Kar, Londo, Lennier and Vir Cotto.
    I watched a babylon 5 made for tv movie and i wanted to find out more about the characters ans i was hooked.
    The whole of the cast is absolutely perfect. Captain Sheridan is possibly the best Captain of all the Sci-Fi series I have seen. He has the personality and presence that really mark the show. Marcus Cole, Londo Molari, Vir Cotto, G’kar, Garibaldi, Commander Susan Ivanova, are all unforgettable.
  • A show with a story, a real story, about people.

Throughout its five seasons Babylon 5 offered a great story, in matter of fact, it gave us multiple stories. Some were flawed, some were superb, but they had one thing in common, they mattered. The telepaths, the Shadows, the conspiracies, wars, but most important: the people.
    What this show did best was showing how much pain and struggling it took for the people involved to see their lives staying on the right track. Take Londo, his hunger for power made him one of the most hated people in the universe, he was clearly unhappy, but never showing it to the people around him. G'Kar, his homeworld being bombarbed once again, his title and rank stripped from him by his enemies, still proud, never letting go his honour and sense for justice.

JMS thank you for this marvellous piece of television.
  • Unbelievable story, great characters, generally fantastic!

From the pilot Babylon 5 showed a lot of promise; although the first season was generally weaker than the rest the series it had an intriguing back story and the characters were outstandng form the outset. I think the show really kicked off when Captain Sheridan arrived and the story about the "Shadows" took a firm hold of the series; with the addition of Marcus, the Rangers, Nightwatch and the Whitestar this became probably one of the best Sci-Fi shows of all time.
    I loved the character relationships (especially Londo and G'Kar) and the fact that for the first time in Sci-Fi history - at least of what I know about - Earth was the enemy. The five year story arc is without a doubt what made this show so great; if the network hadnt told the producers it was cancelled after season 4 the story would have been completed properly instead of being compressed, and then (when the network changed its mind and renewed it for season 5) season 5 wouldnt have been "tacked" on the end as what felt like and afterthought. What I also liked about this show, the thing that set it apart from Star Trek, was the "rough and ragged" feel; the doors were hydraulic, the station had to spin to achieve gravity, the crew wore proper uniforms, the guns were practical, etc, etc.. I think this was a trendsetter, the new "Battlestar Galactica" and "Space Above And Beyond" both came after and seem to have embraced this approach which makes all of the shows more believable and easier to relate to. Basically, this is an awesome series and certainly one that you have to see every episode of to fully understand; everyone should own it on DVD.
  • One of the Best Sci-Fi Shows Ever!

An excellent series, Babylon 5 introduced excellent characters, effects, and stories that wove together in a wonderful story arc. The various races were unique, their technology was varied and quite "alien", and the intrigue and politicking was very engaging.

If I had a complaint about the show, it's the very poor 5th season. After the exodus of the major opponent at the end of Season 4, the show returned suddenly adrift (as well as without one of the show's most beloved characters, replacing her with another character that was 2-dimensional and bland). Season 1 was them getting their feet wet. Seasons 2-4 were wondrous and amazing. Season 5 was drek.
  • Set a new standard for televison

Babylon 5. I knew of Joe Straczynski though local radio in Los Angeles and when he came to San Diego Comic con to discuss it, I was in the audience…listening. I anxiously waited for the pilot of Babylon 5 to premiere and after I saw it, I thought it had potential, but didn't quite hit the mark. It seemed like a year had passed with no word on it returning and I thought to myself, oh well too bad. But then at last, it came back as a series. The first season had moments of greatness, along with a few clunkers. It was only later that I noticed one person had directed all of the weakest stories, including the pilot. Perhaps it wasn't a coincidence. Then season 2 premiered with a new lead, Bruce Boxleitner. I watched it with growing interest. Then somewhere, perhaps midway in the 2nd season B5 began to hit its stride. By the Long, Twilight Struggle it had surpassed the best of Star Trek and for the rest of the season as well as all the third and fourth year, it couldn't be topped. If Joe Straczynski appeared at a convention it was guaranteed to be a filled room. For a time it looked like four seasons was all we would get, but thankfully TNT picked it up for the fifth and final year. There were some cast changes, and not all of them a favorite of mine, but it was hard to complain. After all, we were getting the end to our saga. The pilot was even reedited by Joe, and this time it turned out much better. But then it was over. The end of all songs had been sung, and last light had shined. Though it sounds cliché TV would never be the same. B5 had introduced a new way of using computer technology and more importantly his use of the story arc was virtually unprecedented. Gone yes, but never forgotten. Thanks Joe.
  • It is best not only among the tv shows! It never deviates from the stright line of its story and one actually feels the Babylon 5 world.

We've seen many movies and TV series, but this one is unique. I personally like many others as well, but in all of them (take SG-1, Star Trek for instance) there are deviations from the straight line of their own reality. In many of them you can find episodes in which characters, ciovilizations appear that ruin the very idea of the rest of the story. Well, the writters have a good idea and want to implement it - that's all right, but the entire story suffers from that. No such thing in Babylon 5. Everything is in its place, you find sense in every event - sometimes not immediatelly, but it is there.

So, not just the effects, not just the story, but also the discipline are important for a Sci-Fi show to make the watcher believe in it. Babylon 5 presents a realistic world with some popular Sci-Fi ideas which make it easy to understand for those who like the genre. Still, on top of this there is something more - something about our nature and our future (if we ever grow ready to embrace it) that is above all the technology. The movie is not in hurry (like Star Wars) to show too much in one day, it leaves you uncertain for long time and even if some things are imperfect (as in any Sci-Fi of course)you forget them while the story continues.

The best about Babylon 5 is that the inevitable mistakes in the story, the effects and the ideas are easilly forgotten and are well put out of the main line so that noone would complain (remember the news papers - on paper for example). I can point quite many SF movies in which the special effects are used in wrong direction and make you think there is something misplaced in this world. In B5 they are not so many but they are exactly where they should be.

The only downside of Babylon 5 is that when you start watching it you cannot stop. But, is this a downside after all?
  • Great SciFi Series

Yeah, I have to agree that this may have been one of the greatest scifi serious around. I really enjoyed the charactors, and the story line. Having the DVDs is a added plus to watch anytime. I can remember watching the series 3 times in a row, all of them. Like reading the same book over again and never getting tired. One of those shows you wish could continue for ever. Great story line, great actors, great filming. Bravo!
  • best sf show to ever grace tv

Words can't describe the excellence that was B5. The creators have made in my opinion the first novel for tv. As a sf reader myself I can attest to the quality of this show. B5 was show that had the themes of war, political intrigues that crosses the galaxies, romance between two characters of different species, prophecies that were hinted at the beginning of the show's run that came to past as the show ended and some subtle and ironic humor to sometimes lighten up the show's often dark storylines. The alien civilizations that were created in this series were also unforgettable:
    wise Minbari slow to anger but terrible in their rage.
    Centauri with their memories of a faded empire and
    corrupt government. Narn-proud warrior race obsessed with vengeance against the centauri for their centuries long oppression.
  • A Ground Breaking Series in The World of Sci-Fi.

This Series shows from the start showed us a world that has the highest chance of happening in the future.

The Idea of a United Nastions of Different worlds is spell binding in on its own.

The action, graphics, charaters, and story lines are just outstanding.

This show was by far one of the bests Sci-Fi shows I have never even seen!
  • Quite possibly the best SCI-FI to come out of any production house in recent history.

Quite possibly the best SCI-FI to come out of any production house in recent history. A single creative mind developed a single, nearly continuous story to span several years, and thus created TV SCI-FI history. From it is ground breaking CGI to it is focus on characters and their inter-relationships - it is truly cutting edge TV. I’ve been a SCI-FI fan dating back to the original Star Trek of 1960s, and Babylon 5 stands out, there have been many imitators and duplicators, but none stand up. This show will go down in TV history and stand the test of time.
  • One of the most imaginative sci fi shows around

Babylon 5 was a ground breaker of a sci fi show. And you knew exactly where you stood with it. From the start you knew it would only be on for 5 seasons. So you knew there would be a beginning a middle and an end. It was always going to be fresh because of this. It didn't outlast it's welcome on tv and you knew it was never going to be one of those shows that after so many seasons on tv, would be desperately searching for new ideas. If only more tv shows would be bold enough to have a plan like this!

• Of all the sci-fi shows that have ever been created this would be the second most believable next to Stargate SG-1. The show has excellent stories, characters, and special effects that come together to make one great television show.

The pilot episode of Babylon 5 and the entire first season struggled to find its place and its style. But by the time the second season rolled around the show was more confident and that payed off by the stories being better and an overall improvement in show quality. What made this show so much better than many other sci-fi shows was the realism in the show. It benefited from these being things that didn't seem far fetched. The galaxy was just as happy as can be that we often saw in Star Trek. Each race generally acted in their self interest and would attempt to screw over the others for personal gain. By the time the Shadow War rolled around the show was at its peak. The special effects and acting made the show nearly impossible to turn off. And the show capitalized on the energy of the Shadow War plot and ran with it and created the Earth Civil War which tried all the characters and served to develop them in new and interesting ways. By the time the show entered its fifth season the show was on the decline and it showed it, the infusion of the "federation" like organization killed all interesting stories. But the show did end on a high note and tied all the stories together very well.
  • Completely original.

The only thing it copied from any previous show was that it was set in outer space. After that it was all original. The sets and special effects set the bar for all sci-fi and other shows with special effects that came after. And, to know that the story was "going somewhere" was also unique. To know that there was a beginning and an end to the show and that the creator already knew what the end was and was just leading us to it was, I think, one of the things that kept us coming back. The cast was as unique as the characters they were playing.
  • It was the dawn of a new age for television

Babylon 5 introduced the novel idea for a televised novel. MJS’s radical idea of having a television show that had a defined start, middle, and end point was incredible, and it worked really well, despite some changes that always come with any sort of production, such as the leaving of Sinclair at the end of the first season.

Either way, Babylon 5 remains one of my favourite science fiction shows. First I have to comment on the graphics, namely the computer graphics! Babylon 5 was one of the first shows to have such cutting edge special effects. These CG items were of course the ships. These, next to the Enterprise or Imperial Star Destroyers are some of the best ships in the sci-fi universe. From the lumbering Earth Force Omega class destroyers or the massive behemoths of Minbari Cruisers. And of course who can forget the x-wing clones of the starfurries or the image of pure evil the shadow attack ‘spiders.’

Of course next to the ships was the music, it is one of the better television sound tracks out there, and some of more noticeable theme songs (next to Doctor Who of course). The music indeed was one of the more noticeable parts to the show. I have several episode sound tracks on my playlist at home, and can easily visualize the action going on as I listen, such episodes as ‘Messages from Earth’ or ‘Severed Dreams.’

Now, the thing that tied everything together, the story telling! Babylon 5 is probably one of the most well written television series out there, probably because of the five year plan, the setup, the massive climax, and then the bringing it all back down. MJS did an excellent job here, well developed characters, twists, turns, actions.

Now I came late to Babylon 5, and I watched it, and taped when I was going to miss an episode when Space: the Imagination Station showed it. However that ended very quickly, and I not having seen all the episodes (Something I’ve done with Star Trek, all five live action series). So needless to say I was excited when they started coming out on DVD. Babylon 5 remains one of my personal favourite television shows, and I troll the stations everyday looking for it to come back to Canada.
  • I liked the show in fact i have all series and movies in DVD, the scripts were very good The carathers were awsome and played by te cast but it lacked coenrecy in special efects specially in the space battles to much digital and less real.

Everything went well until the shadow wars terminated after that it become a little bit boring it lost interested because it didn´t had the major purpose that before the shadow wars, the carathers suffered to many changes like Mollari becaming an emperor and so on. In the end it became a personal favorite
  • Great writing, believable characters, humor...all the ingredients for a classic tv show

Babylon 5 is the best written, most believable, most wonderful, brightest, most perfect science fiction show ever. The fact that J. Michael Straczynski wrote a majority of the episodes himself, just makes it all the more perfect. This is a prime example of what can happen when a creator has the freedom to show his vision without interference. I've heard all the arguments of the detractors, and none of them are convincing. If Babylon 5 isn't the best sci-fi series ever, I don't know what is....just please don't say it's Star Trek.....which pales in comparison to the classy, edgier universe of Babylon 5!
  • top-drawer storytelling

In olden days, storytellers were the great entertainers. The telling of a story -- giving enough detail to make the audience feel they were *there* when the events told were happening; spinning the tale out over time, seeing characters come and go, great deeds done, good triumphant, evil overcome -- these were "sagas". Joe S. came up with such a tale, where characters transform, good and evil are overcome; a story that took years to tell, and was told in years. (The wonder of it, really, is that the various powers that be in TV let him tell it.)

Anyway, this is storytelling at its best, alternatively tragic, comedic, and heroic. Every major character (and some minor ones too) evolves, in measured, believable ways (even the changing of the central character after season one is handled and used to excellent effect.) The actors are thoroughly believable, the music grand, the special effects groundbreaking.

This is not just a great science-fiction show, it is a great story well told. It may take some time to grab you, but give it a try -- you'll be well rewarded.
1 2 3 4 5