Babylon 5

(ended 1999)

Gislef

Babylon 5 Fan Reviews (126)

• One of the best TV shows in existence, if not the best.

One of Babylon 5's strongest points is the characters, the not so cliched characters. Unique and not transparent. The opinions we developed of them in the first season undoubtedly drastically changed by the end of the show. Nothing is what it seems, as G'Kar often said, making every plot twist that much more unexpected.

And the not so cliched bad guys. They werent just 'evil' for no apparent reason. They had reasons, and they all thought they were doing the right thing, making them so much more difficult to overcome.

The mystery in season 2 and 3 is exhilarating, and the way the show only gave us clues for the first two years. Everything just built up. The show started slow, like a regular episodic sci-fi at first, entertaining, but no big deal. But then conspiracies began to unravel, tension built until it felt like it was going to explode! and it did.

I would say it is a space opera, but perhaps with fewer cliched elements than usual, and somewhat more plausible.
  • Remake Yes? No?

Remake, try a remake bsg did grate

JMS=sci-fi lord

B5-Best show ever!

sorry for bad writing im from Venus :)
  • Great believer

Best show ever!!!! will revisit many times:):)
  • I love this show & never missed one program of this show bcz its my favorite movie of all time. I wish that it came back on television that I can watch it again please bcz I would love to see it again on tv.

I love babylon 5 bcz its my number 1 favorite movie & television program in the whole wide world & never missed an tv program of this show & wish that it came back on television that I can watch it again please bcz I would love to see it again on tv. I don't think my sister Tiffany Weber has ever seen this program before but I wish that it was back on tv so my sister Tiffany Weber could have the chance to see this program please can u guys put it back on tv please for me & the rest of the fans that love Babylon 5 too please.
  • Best Science Fiction series ever!

I don't know all that J. Michael Straczynski had to do to produce this epic series but I am glad he did it.

A large number of science fiction series these days suffer from the 'reset button' complex. This means that, while an individual episode might be interesting, it will rarely ever have any effect on any future episodes. A perfect example of this is Star Trek: The Next Generation. In 90+% of the episodes the actions of one episode are completly independant of any other episode. Yes, there are some exceptions (Q episodes etc.) but they are in the minority.

When they moved onto ST:DS9 they improved this significantly but it was never even close to the continuity of Babylon 5.

In Babylon 5 the entire series was a continuous story with only a handfull of episodes that did not have at least some effect on others. The fact that J. Michael Straczynski wrote the whole series beforehand meant he was able to tell the story continuously with few "unconnected" episodes.

Babylon 5 was a 110 episode long story that kept you entertained with fascinating characters who evolved throughout the series. They did not just play a character that had certain traits and repeated them in each episode. G'Kar (Andreas Katsulas) and Londo Mollari (Peter Jurasik) are perfect examples of this. G'Kar goes from the "bad guy" in the beginning and transforms almost spiritually to the selfless "good guy" in the end whereas Londo travels in the opposite direction.

Over all I would give this series a 10 out of 10 with all but 3 or 4 episodes getting a 9 or better out of 10.

Favourite Quotes:
    "I'll be in the car" Commander Susan Ivanova (War without End)

"Ivanova:Find what you need and lets get out of here, we are running out of time.
    Zathras:Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite. Zathras is finite. This is wrong tool" (War without End II)
  • Babylon 5 is one of the Best Sci-Fi series ever. One of few series to have a full run from start to finish plus some movies, Babylon 5 is also one of the most successful in its own right. I love this show and view it every year.

Babylon 5 is one of the most original Sci-Fi shows to air on television, it had creative writing, great stories, it had a perfect cast, great characters, it had a complex and engaging mythology, and easily connected with viewers. I thought the characters were portrayed brilliantly, the plot lines flowed smoothly and revealed answers in a timely fashion. There was so much depth to this series. I enjoyed all the different types of aliens, especially the Vorlons and Shadows, two ancient races. I thought it was interesting how the Vorlons portrayed themselves to others. I think this show touched upon many human curiousities, questions of the soul, and moral matters relevant through out time and space. I will enjoy this show for all time and hope others will come to find the value of this show in the future as well. By far a unique and legendary series. It has entertained me and given insight into our own nature.
  • The best Science-Fiction tv show ever made. Chuck Norris is not God, Jack Bauer is not God. J. Michael Straczynski IS GOD.

The first time i saw only until the end of third season. I didn't saw all the episodes becouse i was at school. I was really disappointed with the end of that chapter and the tv channel left it there.

Years later i watched all the first season in dvd. It was fantastic. I was looking for Deep Space 9 but couldn't find it so i got Babylon 5. I saw the second and the third learning all about that extraordinary characters ( i love G'Kar and Londo characters ). And then , with all that, i had the oportunity to see the 2 episodes called "War without end" and that was GREAT. After that i went to internet to search for webs about Babylon 5 and i red all about it.

Stgraczynski wrote almost all the episodes. He was some kind of god for me until the end of the 5th season.

When i recomend this show (and i do always to every one) i say: all chapters are important, you have to see it from episode 1 season 1 to last episode of season 5 (all them are one big season), all is like open a history book and read about the Space Station Babylon 5 (the history is not good or bad, is what it was).
  • meet the crew of babylon 5 with murder and mystries and war on a space station.

this is my favourite show. i have it on video and dvd.. bablyon 5 is a space station that houses aliens and humans who work and live together.. what i love about this show is the story lines and the cast. it has a start and a middle and a ending.. gkar and londo are amasing together. the can steal a scene. garabadi is head of security and my favourite character. i never get sick of watching this show. it has a lot of laughs and some tears. with great character this is one show worth watching. the special effects are ground breaking. watch it once and you get hooked..
  • The plot was great and even the side plot was great with Talia Winters of the Psi-Corp. Thought that we learned more about Ivonova in this episode. Believe it was mostly a character builder.

This episode is where we see the Narns being sorta the bad guy in the show. It show's just how kniving the Narns can be, to be more blunt, how revengful they are. I understand that they had been conquered at one point. In this episode they shows ya how greedy they are, with selling of a Command and Control base for the raiders. As a side note it shows why Lt. Commander Ivonova does not like Psi-Corp very much due to what they did to there mother. I imagine we will be seeing more of the Raiders storyline and information about Cmdr. Sinclairs memory. I don't think we'll see that much of it, but enough to get our curiosity peeked. BTW, the graphics were great again. Can't wait to see more again. It has been a long time since I last saw B5 and seeing the show takes me reminds me how good it really was.
  • It was the year of....

What can I say? This show might be a bit old, but it's still as addictive as it was when it was launched. It has it all; good laughs, the drama, action, suspension that gives you the chills, dark conspiracies... but most of all, it has a touch of sometimes bitter and scruffy realism which combined into extra ordinary good filming and settings quality (for that time) gives this series that kicking creditability that makes you come back again and again for long marathons and leave you crying for more.
    In a nutshell, this is one of those cornerstones that defines sci-fi and others will be measured against. Babylon 5.... We salute you!
  • Ahead of its time, would be neat to see a remake too

Babylon 5 was, to me, and others, well ahead of its time. The storylines were great, the actors were good, and the CGI (for its time) was second to none. Even shows such as TNG & DS9 (Star Trek) weren't keeping up in regards to CGI. Babylon 5 handled that aspect of it quite well.

It is no secret that the main aspect of Babylon 5 was the Shadow War. Those guys were indeed evil, and the Minbari were an awesome race to go up against. Even in the film "The Beginning" the Minbari stood true to their word, and were a force to be reckoned with.

I no doubt stand alone when I say it would be nice to see a remake, or at the very least, a re-animation, doing up the CGI aspects of the show, much alike paramount are doing with TOS (again, Star Trek). Whether we ever see this or not wont have any huge difference, as this show will continue to be a classic, nomatter what.
  • Best SciFi show ever!

Babylon 5 is the most intelligent and groundbreaking show I have ever seen in my life. Nothing else on television offers the same scope and quality of thought. I recommend this show to any fan of science fiction. Non-genre fans will likely not have the endurance to make it through due to its complexity, but we don't care about them. If you love SciFi though, you owe it to yourself to check B5 out. The first season is a bit sluggish, but it immediately picks up in season 2 and does not let go. On future viewings, episodes that you had previously thought were unimportant will suddenly become more interesting to you as well. Remember, this is a show meant to resemble a novel. There is a clearly defined beginning, middle and end. It will not disappoint!
  • The best Science Fiction show ever next to Star Trek.

Like I said in my summary, this is the best Science Fiction show ever next to Star Trek. It revolutionized science fiction television with magnificent story lines, writing, acting and visuals. As a viewer, you genuinely grow an affection for the members of the cast, and that is something that just does not happen all that much in the television world of science fiction. Many shows fail where this one succeeded - too many science fiction shows do not have the charisma that this show always had. If you have never seen this show, all 5 Seasons are available on DVD and are well worth the price. A wonderful show.
  • This show changed my life, and gives me so much. It was excellent and incredible. JMS is a true genius. I will love it always.My favorite show of all time.

B5 is about so much, change, consequences, and taking reponsibility for your actions. JMS has created such art with this show, and I grew to love it. It had such incredible acting, by the late great Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik, who should have won Emmy's. It has a lot of meaning in todays world, Clark being Bush incarnate. It put me on a journey I have yet to conclude. Thank you JMS,, you really made a masterpiece with this series, and I am so glad we got the 5 years. I got to meet JMS and all the principle actors and it was so special to me. B5 is just so deep and rich. One of the only problems with the show is introducing it to a novice, because it takes much extra attention and it needs to build itself. Most people won't take the time. I started with Gropos, a 2nd season show and each show just blew my mind and impressed me and when I got to Severed Dreams, Wow, I cried when my station was attacked and I knew I loved this show so much. I shall never forget it for many reasons. It is just a masterpiece.
  • my favorite space-opera.

what can I say? Babylon 5 blew me away. after finishing the series, I immediately began re-watching it from the beginning. truth be told, I was a little wary at first. the CGI were not up to standard (especially when compared to Star Trek: DS9) and year 1 isn't exactly what I would describe as "good television" but in the end, sitting through it payed off.

Babylon 5 is an example of a story arc done right. I'm just floored by the attention to detail and consistencies in the plot. This is some of the best writing I have seen on television to date and I'll be damn if I ever find anything that'll top it.

J. Michael Straczynski-Thank you!!!
  • My second favourite show of all time, behind the X-Files. This show epitomises everything a truely great Space-Based Science Fiction show should be like.

I honestly could write forever about Babylon 5, It is truely the best Sci-Fi show ever, and I have seen a LOT! If we forgot the more groundbreaking elements of the series, such as introducing more arc-based stories to Sci-Fi, the wonderfully unique CGI and it's struggle to find ground in a world dominated by Star Trek at the time... This is simply a damn-good Science Fiction story.

Season One is considered slow by many - but in my opinion it's a classic in it's own right. It's hardly the drama-a-minute the show became in it's later years - but it's an intelligent and original season, perhaps marred slightly by some hokey acting from lead Michael O'Hare, who does improve with repeated viewing. Highlights for me from the first season are "Soul Hunter" - an underrated gem, featuring a great performance from W Morgan Sheppard. "Mind War" - the introduction to Bester, featuring a superb score from Christopher Franke. "Deathwalker" - featuring a classic ending. "Signs and Portents" - really the first Arc episode of Babylon 5. "Babylon Squared" - a truely magnificent episode laying foundations that would be fully paid off in later seasons and "Chrysalis", a jam-packed action 45 minutes where literally "Nothing's the same anymore"...

Season Two is probably my least favourite season, due to it's rather poor standalone episodes, "The Long Dark", "A Distant Star", "Soul Mates", "Hunter Prey", "There all the honor lies" & "Knives" could easily have been culled, or merged to give room for some better episodes. But there are still some great moments in Season Two, and perhaps the first signs of the show punching above it's weight. With Boxleitner now as the lead, Delenn half-human and Na'Toth sadly recast, Season 2 features many other dramatic changes, most significant of all are the Narn/Centauri War and the Shadow awakening stories. Some of my favourite moments are "The Coming of Shadows" - one of SF's best ever episodes and a Hugo award winner, "Divided Loyalties" the unmasking of a traitor, "Comes the Inquisitor" - a superb performance by Alexander, Furlan and Boxleitner, "The Long, Twilight Struggle" as Londo watches his deal with Morden take fruition and "GROPOS" a quiet military episode with a poignant punch. Still a great year, but it's perhaps a bit hit and miss - but it's hits are very high thankfully...

Season 3 is just pure brilliance from start to finish. Focusing on the Shadow War, and Babylon 5's breakaway from Earth. Excluding moments of "Convictions", "A Day in the Strife", "Sic Transit Vir" and half of "Grey 17 is missing", there isn't a dull moment in this season. "Matters of Honor" is a great start to the season, introducing Marcus Cole, who would end up being a great character. The trio of episodes "Messages from Earth"/"Point of No Return"/"Severed Dreams" make for great watching together. The tremendous "War without End" two parter demonstrates just how fantastic Babylon 5 was, "Walkabout" is a great quiet episode, and the final three episodes are brilliant, with "And the rock cried out..." being a personal favourite of mine. Easil B5's second best season and a year that very few other Sci-Fi shows have come to improve upon.

Season 4 is for me, the best "whole" season of a Sci-Fi show EVER. Only "Conflicts of Interest" and "Rumours Bargains and Lies" have duller moments. The first six provide a worthy conclusion to the Shadow-arc storyline, even if the actual last few moments could be considered a cop-out, things kick straight back into gear with the war against Earth, the Minbari Civil War and the wonderful Garibaldi arc. Highlights for me would be "The Long Night", just loved watching Vir put pay to Cartagia, "Into the Fire" again, Vir waving at Morden's head is a great payoff to earlier episodes and I love the final shot, "Atonement", a great Delenn flashback episode providing info on the Minbari/Earth war, "No Surrender, No Retreat", a great battle episode, "Between the Darkness and the Light", love watching Ivanova's "I am death" speech - and there is terrible scene with Lyta on Mars that I just love to hate, "Endgame", perhaps my favourite ever B5 episode which has almost everything - and "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars" - a clever episode that provides loads of answers to the viewers, some which are never fully answered.

Season 5 is a mixed bag, much like Season 2, clearly suffering from it's last minute pick-up - the Telepath arc that begins the year is extremely weak, and there are a few pointless fillers such as "Learning Curve", Ivanova is gone and Lochley is introduced, who in my opinion, did a good job having to fill the shows of Ivanova - "No Compromises" is a competent opener, and "The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari" and "Day of the Dead" are tremendous stand-alone episodes. Things kick back into gear big time though in the second half of the season, with a great Psi Corps stand-alone, and the trio of episodes "And all my dreams", "Movements of Fire and Shadows" and "The Fall of Centauri Prime" proving that Babylon 5 could stick kick arse when it wanted too. The final few episodes feel like closing a chapter of a book, it's slightly long, but stands up well on repeated viewings. "Sleeping in Light" continues to be one of only a handful of episode that bring a tear to my eye.

The movies are perhaps the weakest element of Babylon 5, "In the beginning" is fantastic, but all the other's suffer from something. "Thirdspace" is a competent SF movie, but not what you'd come to expect from Babylon 5. "The River of Souls" has a welcome return to the Soul Hunters, but is marred by a terrible holo-brothel B-Story, "A Call to Arms" is a great movie, with a horrendous Evan Chen soundtrack, "The Legend of the Rangers" is pretty poor, with some cheesy dialogue and performances. "The Lost Tales" is a real oddity, with some good moments, but proving that Babylon 5's time has come and gone in my opinion.

Well, if you're still reading this, hopefully this has re-awakened some great moments from your TV viewing history, or maybe encouraged you to pick up this gem at your local DVD store. It's a MUST-HAVE - don't give up if you're not totally enamoured with Season 1, as this is a show that really pays off sitting through it's duller episodes. You won't be disappointed!
  • The greatest science fiction show ever.

I've always loved science fiction, and could never get enough, whether it was TV, movies, or books.
    I grew up watching the obvious sci-fi shows (Star Trek, Lost in Space) and some not so obvious ones (Wild Wild West, Speed Racer). Then Star Wars happened, and it wasn't so stigmatizing to be a nerd.

For a show to be so consistently true to its own internal logic and integrity, and to be so entertaining at the same time is phenomenal. I was hooked from the pilot (which does seem a little cheesy now), and watched every minute I could find (including the disappointing 'Lost Tales'). I've got them queued up in Netflix for the third time, and can't wait for them to come around; I'm finishing Andromeda (I had missed most of Seasons 3 and 4) and Stargate SG-1 (recommended by my brother, and a fantastic show as well). Granted, Season 5 was a little weak, but that was due to outside forces threatening the cancellation of the show, not due to a drop-off in the quality of the writing, acting, or production.

On rare occasions, I finish watching something (movie or TV episode) and say "Wow! That was one of the best shows I've ever seen!" It's happened with one movie (Star Wars, of course), and maybe a dozen individual episodes with TV. One is from Stargate (the one with the replicators on the Russian submarine), one is the new Dr. Who ep with the weeping angels (watched it 3 times). Most of the rest are B5 episodes; not only does the show stand up as a whole, it has numerous single show examples of excellent storytelling. Signs and Portents, Severed Dreams, Confessions and Lamentations, and even A Late Delivery from Avalon (which apparently only I liked...) are fantastic capsules of the overall story that leave you stunned by the impact (well, maybe not Avalon).
  • Creator and main writer J. Michael Strazynski created a vast universe in which to tell compelling stories within a very well conceived five year arc. The genre is SciFi, but it could just as well have been set in another time and place.

The first time I saw images of Babylon 5, I took one look at Londo's hair and changed the channel. Fortunately for me friends convinced me to give the show another try.

I became entranced by the characters, the actors chosen to play those characters, and the developing storyline. Soon I realized it was not the typical fast food variety of TC show. This was great storytelling on a scale never before done on American television. Instead of the usual idiotic sit-com with wretched laugh track, Babylon 5 told a story which required the viewer to THINK! The show's own history was a main theme. The lore and legends of Babylon 5 were dramatic elements in many episodes.

Soon I very much enjoyed to interaction between characters. Londo and G'Kar were the perfect "odd couple" in this show. In reality, the actors were close friends. Delenn added a most compelling strong feminin side to the otherwise warrior-like Minbari.

The complete story is a novel for television at the very least.

The news of deaths of some beloved actors from this show hit many of us fans hard. First to pass was Richard Biggs aka Doctor Franklin. I think the next was Tim Choate who created the fantastic character "Zathras." Another guest actor of great reputation and a distinguished career was Paul Winfield who portrayed General Frankin, father of Doctor Franklin, passed away next. The most difficult real life death for me was Andreas Katsulas, our beloved G'Kar. G'Kar was the true moral voice of Babylon 5. Few actors have had the opportunity to speak with such eloquence in a TV program.

The deaths of these actors is a reminder to many of how precious life is and how we ought to express our true feelings to our loved ones sooner rather than later.
  • Something that changed the world... and me

There are no words I could say about this show. It is just the BEST I have ever seen.

I am so happy for that one night when I got tv program, saw that show there and decided to watch. They aired it here in midnight, so my recorder became my best friend and I have no second thoughts - the thing that I started to watch that show was the best I could do! (+ I learned English by that show.. before that I rarely understand nothing, after that... I spoke like I had knew it all my life)

What is so great in this serie? - the story. I think this is the first Sci-fi serie what started to have one storyline from episode to episode not like most what had problem, at the end of the episode, they solved it.. and next time all over again. And the story is not only continues but attractive, striking, emotional, thoughtful. There are so many dilemmas, so many thoughts, questions, so much philosophy, moral... It is all so big that I cannot express myself.

Another great plus of this serie - characters. Most of them are alien but they are so "humane". They are colorful, difficulty, with great back stories, challenging, changing. There cannot be better example than Londo Mollari - I just adore the back look at the end of the serie to his life.

And after all those great things, this serie has all needed for great sci-fi serie - adventure, action, shooting and still has drama, tragic..

Just best you can want :)
  • This is ground breaking science fiction.

This is ground breaking science fiction. This is undebateable. If it should have ended on UPN or TNT, that is another story.

Babylon 5 set the standard for well thought out science fiction. The writing is legendary. The cast was perfect. The netwoorks .... well that was always a limiting factor.

This show showed authors and writers how a number of reoccurring subplots could thread through an episode of forty two minutes and the episodes plot still make sense to a novice viewer. It is the richness of the writing that made Babylon 5 a legend.

This show is a personal favorite. Try it yourself.
  • Babylon 5 set a new standard for science fiction. The show is over a decade old as I write this, and it appears cutting edge.

B5 was a unique occurrence in television. A writer, JMS, was also the producer. Most episodes were written by JMS who conceived the show. He has essentially the freedom to create his preconceived world and tale. The budget was large compared to present standards. It is unlikely this confluence of factors will ever again be present to create another show such as this.

The detailed character development and intricate running story lines give the show depth. The scenes can involve large space with many extras and detail enhancing the illusion of a city in space. The computer generated images (CGI) are ground breaking. None of this is likely to occur again.

The follow-up series, Crusade, is evidence to the effect tighter studio control, smaller budgets, casting restraints, studio script changes, and more can do to a brilliant series.

Babylon 5 is a great achievement and well worth watching.
  • Babalyon 5 is about a 3 mile long space station in a remote part of the galaxy to promote peace and trade with the major and minor races of the galaxy.

This was one of my all time favorite shows. I didn't get into it until i was deployed to Iraq from 04-05 when i saw the first season on the movie rack at the Px. Now i have all the seasons but not the movies yet. I've seen all the episodes at least a few times and loved all of them. This was and still is an awesome show. The special effects were always great and the stories were awesome too.
  • Best show ever. Stand toe to toe with Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.

This show has a deep development within its universe. It is called Bablyon 5. It is about a space station lies on a neutral space. It contains aliens and human interact with each other and deals with interplantary problem. The storyline does not involve the Babylon 5 present time, but also the past, future and distant future.
    The characters have a colorful background with twist and turn. J. Michael Straczynski has worked out the whole 5 season on paper before they go on production. Most other shows use the hiatus to plan the next season stories. Within the budget J. Michael Straczynski realise his vision on 5 season.
  • Babylon 5 tells the story of a space station located in neutral space, where various alien races (humans included), try to resolve their diferences peacefully... I consider Babylon 5 to be the best sci-fi series I have ever seen.

Created by J.M. Straczynski, The Babylon 5 television series consists essentially of a well-crafted five year story arc. It's set in the mid 23rd century and the main plot revolves around the characters that find themselves aboard the Babylon 5 station, located in neutral space. With a tone that easily shifts from humor, to drama and action, it manages to portray the subtle nuances of the human nature. Throughout political maneuvers, shifting alliances, conspiracies, wars and various turning points, each character's development is a path of its own. The decisions they make affect, not only their own lives, but their worlds, and even their galaxy. Among the various alien races present on the station, four stand out: the Minbari, the Vorlon, the Centauri, and the Narn. The Narn and the Centauri are the first to bring forth issues of hatred between entire races, being former slaves and conquerors, respectively. The Minbari, one of the older races, nearly wiped out the entire human race, stopping short of devastating the Earth. They are now one of Earth's greatest allies. And the most mysterious of all; the Vorlon. They are never seen out of their encounter suites, therefore their true form is unknown; their words enigmatic; and their objectives unspoken. And of course, the web of intrigue wouldn't be complete without an ancient race, and equally ancient enemy, about to return, intent on bringing war and destruction throughtout the galaxy. Babylon 5's peculiar format allows each episode to be an individual story while still being simply another piece in the much larger puzzle. Showing how the assembled picture can be seen as different truths from different perspectives, it leads the viewers on an amazing journey through time and space, leading to a breathtaking finale.
  • Babylon 5's five year storyline had the benefit of having the creator/writer with the series from its inception till the end.

A fantastic show with an equally fabulous ensemble cast. Gritty characters enhance this story-driven show about a space station in deep space far from Earth. How its inhabitants work through its many problems is unique and refreshing and very dramatic. Each show is able to stand alone, but it helps to see as many episodes as possible to get the whole picture as the first pilot movie is equally as important as the finale. Great writing, great mix of characters and plot and action, this series is a treasure of American television that surpasses even Star Trek on many levels.
  • From the beginning, every episode adds to the total. And that total is something never achieved before. You must have patience to understand and appreciate the way the series illustrates the struggles and joys of man as he reaches for the "Stars"

This is a show you MUST see from the beginning.

A series that won't neatly answer every question or solve all problems by the end of each episode. I would call the show a 112 multi-part episode, and would include in the sequnce to watch two of the TV movies; "The Gathering" (To be seen first) and "In The Beginning" (To be seen after episode #61, War Without End, Pt. 2).

A quote, and scientific fact, from the first regular season episode produced, "Infection", puts in a nutshell the basis for alot of Space/Sci-Fi shows.

At the end of this episode a reporter inquires to the station commander; "After all that you've just gone through, I have to ask you the same question a lot of people back home are asking about space these days. Is it worth it? Should we just pull back, forget the whole thing as a bad idea, and take care of our own problems, at home?"
    Sinclair: "No. We have to stay here, and there's a simple reason why. Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics - and you'll get ten different answers. But there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on: whether it happens in a hundred years, or a thousand years, or a million years, eventually our sun will grow cold, and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us, it'll take Marilyn Monroe, and Lao-tsu, Einstein, Maruputo, Buddy Holly, Aristophanes - all of this. All of this was for nothing, unless we go to the stars."
  • An Earth space station in the mid-23rd Century. A place where many alien races can work out their problems peacefully and avoid costly wars like those that previously took place.

One of the best sci-fi shows ever! I only recently started watching Babylon 5. I downloaded the pilot on iTunes and immediately went out and bought the entire series on DVD.

Babylon 5 is one of the few shows I have seen that started out strong and got better and better by the season. This is one of the most original sci-fi shows I have ever seen. How many sci-fi shows have had ten or more series regulars at one time and still managed to fit everyone in, giving each character his or her own storylines? -Only a couple. There have also been few sci-fi shows that managed to keep the show interesting after four or five seasons. Babylon 5 excelled at these.

Babylon 5 introduced sci-fi fans to many new and interesting alien races, like the Minbari, Narn, Centauri, and Vorlons. Each of these races had vastly different cultures, and Babylon 5 was a place where they could work out those differences peacefully, kind of like a sci-fi United Nations. Along with the show\'s great story arcs and extremely talented cast, Babylon 5 is one of the best sci-fi shows ever made.
  • I actually resisted watching this at first. I really don't know why. I do know that watching it was one of the best viewing decisions I ever made.

B5 was more than just another sci-fi show. It helped prove that sci-fi had not lost its ability to truly make us think. They never just handed us the easy answers, always making us question our preconceptions. The clown in the beginning turned out to be the most tragic figure of all. The aggressive militant became the philosophical leader, the philosopher became a great war leader, and all with true, realistic character development. And it showed us that a sci-fi or action show could make you think. Characters weren't always perfect. They made mistakes, they paid for thier mistakes, and they went on with thier lives with those mistakes following them. And they managed it while also clearly showing us that you can respect another's beliefs without giving up your own, that the actions of each person can make all the difference, and that compassion and respect can get you through a lot. I do hope that someday JMS will have the interest and opportunity to revisit this universe without the handicaps his previous attempts have laboured under. It won't be Babylon 5, but it will keep us thinking. And few shows can receive that kind of accolade.
  • An awesome Sci-fi show that lasted for six yrs. To bad the Sci-fi channel doesn't show this anymore, i'm sure a lot of people would watch the reruns if they but it back on the air.

Babylon 5 is a five-mile long space station located in neutral space. Built by the Earth Alliance in the 2250s, it's goal is to maintain peace among the various alien races by providing a sanctuary where grievances and negotiations can be worked out among duly appointed ambassadors. A council made up of representatives from the five major space-faring civilizations - the Earth Alliance, Mimbari Federation, Centarui Republic, Narn Regime, and Vorlon Empire - work with the League of Non-Aligned Worlds to keep interstellar relations under control. Aside from its diplomatic function, Babylon 5 also serves as a military post for Earth and a port of call for travellers, traders, businessmen, criminals, and Rangers. Babylon 5 has problems in abundance. Its senior staff of Earth Alliance officers - along with the most prominent members of the diplomatic community - deal with personal problems, cultural differences, threats to station security, and interstellar crises on a regular basis. Old prejudices and unresolved issues leftover from the Earth-Mimbari War and the Centauri occupation of Narn lead to unexpected developments. Pro-Human groups and a corrupt government make the Earth of the future far from paradise. Telepaths seek refuge from the militant Psi Corps while the Mars colony desires support in its bid for independence. Fate has decreed that Babylon 5 be crucial to deciding the outcome of all of these conflicts.
  • don't let the fact that it is scifi influence in the quality of the series

I think that people that don't like scifi should watch this series, it is like star trek without the euthopia, as the universe could be WITH burocracy, nothing is ideal, you just make the best of it, watch it and enjoy. You will discover that a story can be told in a lot of different maners, scifi is one of them
< 1 2 3 4 5