Babylon 5

(ended 1999)

Gislef

Babylon 5 Fan Reviews (126)

• Real good show!

When it first came on gave it thumbs down but after awhile became big fan of the series
  • Yes.. it's geeky as hell.. get past that and you will find gold!

Great series with a rich plot full of twist and turns, with interesting, bizarre and wonderful characters!
  • One of the best TV shows in existence, if not the best.

One of Babylon 5's strongest points is the characters, the not so cliched characters. Unique and not transparent. The opinions we developed of them in the first season undoubtedly drastically changed by the end of the show. Nothing is what it seems, as G'Kar often said, making every plot twist that much more unexpected.

And the not so cliched bad guys. They werent just 'evil' for no apparent reason. They had reasons, and they all thought they were doing the right thing, making them so much more difficult to overcome.

The mystery in season 2 and 3 is exhilarating, and the way the show only gave us clues for the first two years. Everything just built up. The show started slow, like a regular episodic sci-fi at first, entertaining, but no big deal. But then conspiracies began to unravel, tension built until it felt like it was going to explode! and it did.

I would say it is a space opera, but perhaps with fewer cliched elements than usual, and somewhat more plausible.
  • Remake Yes? No?

Remake, try a remake bsg did grate

JMS=sci-fi lord

B5-Best show ever!

sorry for bad writing im from Venus :)
  • Great believer

Best show ever!!!! will revisit many times:):)
  • B5 ended after 3.5 seasons then limped to a second ending after another 1.5 seasons!

B5 took a whole season to get to the point of the show. Then after another season and a half it ended. Well it should have. But for some reason it started up again and pointlessly limped along for another one and a half seasons to a pathetic conclusion. B5 had too many filler episodes and not enough meat on the arc episodes. It had poor scripts and wooden acting. I dont know why I bothered to watch every episode as it was very tedious. Star Trek was so much better.
  • Definetly a masterpiece of grace and simplicity. A true classic. Babylon 5 is simply one of the Greater displays of film making.

Incredible writing. You know those television moments that seem fake, artificial and constructed without much coherence? Fear not - you will get almost none of those with B5.

If you like something of substance that honestly tries explore what the near future could look like for humans - this is it. You get to watch it start and you get to watch it end.

The story is so well crafted that the writers have accounted for almost any kind of event to be accommodated by the main plot. You can not understand that when watching the show as everything is running smoothly. The script was so well written that they could have and on occasion they did write off characters and actors out of the film with practically no damage to the series.

Acting is not the one crafted to artificially impress the audience - but the kind where things go naturally.

The series is more about social development than sci-fi. So if you need the constant flashy cgi bits and ludicrous stunts. Its not for you.

It is the finest show I've ever seen in my life. Even people who dislike the substance compliment it on a job well done.
  • Not like anything you've seen before.. or since for that matter.

This series was unique.. and still is. The ONLY television series written like a novel with a beginning a middle and an END. Planned with a 5 year story arc right from the beginning. I watched every episode live when it came out and haven't watched it for almost 15 years now, but I STILL remember it. You won't be disappointed. It is NOT one of those series that ropes you in.. and never ends..like they seem to like doing these days...leaving story lines unresolved.. until the show gets canceled. If you watch Babylon 5, when you're done you will have that same feeling you get when you turn the last page of the last chapter of a fantastically written novel.. that feeling you get when you close the book and think.. aahh.. now THAT's how things should be done! That's B5.
  • I love this show & never missed one program of this show bcz its my favorite movie of all time. I wish that it came back on television that I can watch it again please bcz I would love to see it again on tv.

I love babylon 5 bcz its my number 1 favorite movie & television program in the whole wide world & never missed an tv program of this show & wish that it came back on television that I can watch it again please bcz I would love to see it again on tv. I don't think my sister Tiffany Weber has ever seen this program before but I wish that it was back on tv so my sister Tiffany Weber could have the chance to see this program please can u guys put it back on tv please for me & the rest of the fans that love Babylon 5 too please.
  • Don't watch this, it's absolute *crap*

I love sci-fi, so I bought the entire DVD box set unseen. What a mistake that was! Everyone raves about this show, but I can't see why. Juvenile plots, asinine dialog, terrible special effects (in fact the worst I've seen in modern science fiction, bad acting, and this big so-called story arc shot full of holes. There are SO many things left unanswered and the 5 movie set that does absolutely nothing to further the story or answer any of the several questions that are brought up and left to die during the regular season. I'll certainly be on the lookout for anything with J. Michael Straczynski's name attached... I'll avoid it like the plague :(

My DVDs now for sale... anyone?
  • Best Science Fiction series ever!

I don't know all that J. Michael Straczynski had to do to produce this epic series but I am glad he did it.

A large number of science fiction series these days suffer from the 'reset button' complex. This means that, while an individual episode might be interesting, it will rarely ever have any effect on any future episodes. A perfect example of this is Star Trek: The Next Generation. In 90+% of the episodes the actions of one episode are completly independant of any other episode. Yes, there are some exceptions (Q episodes etc.) but they are in the minority.

When they moved onto ST:DS9 they improved this significantly but it was never even close to the continuity of Babylon 5.

In Babylon 5 the entire series was a continuous story with only a handfull of episodes that did not have at least some effect on others. The fact that J. Michael Straczynski wrote the whole series beforehand meant he was able to tell the story continuously with few "unconnected" episodes.

Babylon 5 was a 110 episode long story that kept you entertained with fascinating characters who evolved throughout the series. They did not just play a character that had certain traits and repeated them in each episode. G'Kar (Andreas Katsulas) and Londo Mollari (Peter Jurasik) are perfect examples of this. G'Kar goes from the "bad guy" in the beginning and transforms almost spiritually to the selfless "good guy" in the end whereas Londo travels in the opposite direction.

Over all I would give this series a 10 out of 10 with all but 3 or 4 episodes getting a 9 or better out of 10.

Favourite Quotes:
    "I'll be in the car" Commander Susan Ivanova (War without End)

"Ivanova:Find what you need and lets get out of here, we are running out of time.
    Zathras:Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite. Zathras is finite. This is wrong tool" (War without End II)
  • Babylon 5 is one of the Best Sci-Fi series ever. One of few series to have a full run from start to finish plus some movies, Babylon 5 is also one of the most successful in its own right. I love this show and view it every year.

Babylon 5 is one of the most original Sci-Fi shows to air on television, it had creative writing, great stories, it had a perfect cast, great characters, it had a complex and engaging mythology, and easily connected with viewers. I thought the characters were portrayed brilliantly, the plot lines flowed smoothly and revealed answers in a timely fashion. There was so much depth to this series. I enjoyed all the different types of aliens, especially the Vorlons and Shadows, two ancient races. I thought it was interesting how the Vorlons portrayed themselves to others. I think this show touched upon many human curiousities, questions of the soul, and moral matters relevant through out time and space. I will enjoy this show for all time and hope others will come to find the value of this show in the future as well. By far a unique and legendary series. It has entertained me and given insight into our own nature.
  • The gold-standard for sci-fi...

I remember the night I got hooked on this show: "Garibaldi" was riding a motorcycle around the station, and it seemed so out of place in the dark and futuristic setting that I had to watch and see what came next. What...or who...came next was "Cmdr. Jeffrey Sinclair", and then I was in every week like clockwork. I especially loved the early story, with Michael O'Hare and less so once he was gone and replaced by Bruce Boxleitner. But by then the story had become much darker too.
    Nevertheless, I do have the DVD's and every now and then they come out and I revisit one of the most successful sci-fi shows ever with a surprisingly long run for a series in this genre. Just shows the decision makers it can be done!
    ...and should be done again, and often!
  • The best Science-Fiction tv show ever made. Chuck Norris is not God, Jack Bauer is not God. J. Michael Straczynski IS GOD.

The first time i saw only until the end of third season. I didn't saw all the episodes becouse i was at school. I was really disappointed with the end of that chapter and the tv channel left it there.

Years later i watched all the first season in dvd. It was fantastic. I was looking for Deep Space 9 but couldn't find it so i got Babylon 5. I saw the second and the third learning all about that extraordinary characters ( i love G'Kar and Londo characters ). And then , with all that, i had the oportunity to see the 2 episodes called "War without end" and that was GREAT. After that i went to internet to search for webs about Babylon 5 and i red all about it.

Stgraczynski wrote almost all the episodes. He was some kind of god for me until the end of the 5th season.

When i recomend this show (and i do always to every one) i say: all chapters are important, you have to see it from episode 1 season 1 to last episode of season 5 (all them are one big season), all is like open a history book and read about the Space Station Babylon 5 (the history is not good or bad, is what it was).
  • This is my highest rated sci fi shows

0.5
    .......................................................................................................................................................................................................................why was this made. Who invented this genre of shows. What the hell were they thinking when they made this. There are many unanswered questions to these types of shows, but one sticks out to me most : Why. Why did they dicide to make a type of show that would hypnotis nerds world wide to watch them.
  • Not much of a plot and is very very confusing.

1.1
    Well I'm sorry I thought this show was stupid. Thats just my personal opinion Im just glad that some people like it. Again this is just my personal opinion I didn\'t think this show had much of a point, and lost my intrest and got me confuesed. Once again this is just my opinion
  • One of the greatest sci-fi TV series of all time

The epic multi-layered story of Babylon 5 takes place over the 5 year run of the series. The cast is superb, the writing is generally excellent, and the sense of place is perfect. Sci-fi grew up with "Babylon 5" and it stands a giant above all that went before. There is much more to the whole alien aspect. Never before had I seen something like this. Each episode got more complicated and thrilling by the minute. Almost every episode ended with a twist for things getting worse. The acting on the series is also outstanding. Watching Andreas Katsulas as G'kar and Peter Jurasik as Londo Mollari, work, is sheer joy.
  • meet the crew of babylon 5 with murder and mystries and war on a space station.

this is my favourite show. i have it on video and dvd.. bablyon 5 is a space station that houses aliens and humans who work and live together.. what i love about this show is the story lines and the cast. it has a start and a middle and a ending.. gkar and londo are amasing together. the can steal a scene. garabadi is head of security and my favourite character. i never get sick of watching this show. it has a lot of laughs and some tears. with great character this is one show worth watching. the special effects are ground breaking. watch it once and you get hooked..
  • My thoughts on Babylon Five

A show long before its time. The storyline was so complex and wonderfully done. The characters were, and probably still are, some of the most complex in the history of sci-fis. The creation of this show was sheer genious on the part of Joe. Each season just kept getting better and better, keeping me on the edge of my seat, wanting to know what was going to happen next. The religious aspect of some of the stories was just completely fascinating to me. I loved every episode of this show, and wish it had not ended as it had, going out slowly with the creation of several movies that were meant to be the pilots they never got the chance to be.
  • The plot was great and even the side plot was great with Talia Winters of the Psi-Corp. Thought that we learned more about Ivonova in this episode. Believe it was mostly a character builder.

This episode is where we see the Narns being sorta the bad guy in the show. It show's just how kniving the Narns can be, to be more blunt, how revengful they are. I understand that they had been conquered at one point. In this episode they shows ya how greedy they are, with selling of a Command and Control base for the raiders. As a side note it shows why Lt. Commander Ivonova does not like Psi-Corp very much due to what they did to there mother. I imagine we will be seeing more of the Raiders storyline and information about Cmdr. Sinclairs memory. I don't think we'll see that much of it, but enough to get our curiosity peeked. BTW, the graphics were great again. Can't wait to see more again. It has been a long time since I last saw B5 and seeing the show takes me reminds me how good it really was.
  • Usually it takes a couple episodes for me to get into the show. But with babylon 5, i was right into the story from episode 1.

So far my favorite shows where farscape, firefly and bsg, and others but i must say babylon 5 is starting to make its mark in my top 5. Very good show, love the attention to details, i don't know how to describe it but it really is that great.

Before watching it i read reviews and so on and thought its going to be ok. Watched all the startreks including Deep space nine and thought it would be exactly or close to that. Nope its way better than DS9. The characters, story, screenplay, history is way better written. I love every character in this show. Like i said this is the only show that instantly grabbed me and pulled me into the story. Love it, Got the dvd collection.. Just writing this makes me want to watch it, so i guess im off for now.. I highly recommend this show. If you are a sci fi fan and haven't watched this, WATCH it now!! haha
  • It was the year of....

What can I say? This show might be a bit old, but it's still as addictive as it was when it was launched. It has it all; good laughs, the drama, action, suspension that gives you the chills, dark conspiracies... but most of all, it has a touch of sometimes bitter and scruffy realism which combined into extra ordinary good filming and settings quality (for that time) gives this series that kicking creditability that makes you come back again and again for long marathons and leave you crying for more.
    In a nutshell, this is one of those cornerstones that defines sci-fi and others will be measured against. Babylon 5.... We salute you!
  • I love this show!! I wish it would come back.

I used to watch this show religously. I thought all the characters were great. And the relationships between all the chracters were so deep. I did not particularly like Sinclair, but when Sheridan came aboard I really got interested. Sinclair was firey. I also liked Garibaldi. His humorous quipps always brought a some comedic relief to almost every episode. I miss this show. I wish someone would bring it back or at least make a movie or even better continue the story where it left off when the series ended. A Babylon 5 big screen movie would be great. I would go see it. For those who never got to see it, you would never understand.
  • Ahead of its time, would be neat to see a remake too

Babylon 5 was, to me, and others, well ahead of its time. The storylines were great, the actors were good, and the CGI (for its time) was second to none. Even shows such as TNG & DS9 (Star Trek) weren't keeping up in regards to CGI. Babylon 5 handled that aspect of it quite well.

It is no secret that the main aspect of Babylon 5 was the Shadow War. Those guys were indeed evil, and the Minbari were an awesome race to go up against. Even in the film "The Beginning" the Minbari stood true to their word, and were a force to be reckoned with.

I no doubt stand alone when I say it would be nice to see a remake, or at the very least, a re-animation, doing up the CGI aspects of the show, much alike paramount are doing with TOS (again, Star Trek). Whether we ever see this or not wont have any huge difference, as this show will continue to be a classic, nomatter what.
  • Babylon 5 will never be forgotten......

Babylon 5 in some ways is better than the Star Treks....
    It had a set amount of time/series, they knew it would only go on for 5 years and they stook to that.
    It is also more realistic, rather than everybody having various types of shields and cloaking devices, if you get one direct hit on babylon 5 you have basically had, which is what would happen in reality, if humans got into space
    Also no warp engines, simply a few jump gates that link different sections of space together, like motorways, although depending on your view, that could me more unrealistic that warp engines

I have the complete Babylon 5 box set, with all the films and every single episode.

All of the characters were great, the costumes their attitudes towards each other and their difference in superiority!!
    Actually having some species that have also not long ventured into space like the humans was a good idea and a breath of fresh air, as usually we seem to be the only noob species in the galaxy.
    Every character apperas to have it's enemies and my personal favourite was embassador Kosh, the way he always speaks in riddles due to his species being so old and wise

Then in the later episodes where the two old giants meet, when the shadows appear is just amazing some of the battles there with the shadows nearly always winning.....

On the whole what a great show!!!!
  • Babylon 5 was in so many ways ahead of it's time. Shot in 16:9 widescreen when 4:3 was the standard it is perhaps the earliest example of a wide screen TV show around Deserves credit for raising the bar given the era it was made in.

Babylon was a show that really grew on you over time and especially once the ramifications of some of the apparent stand alone episodes began to be played out. seemingly insignificant things would take on new meaning sometimes in the next or following seasons. The only show that comes to mind that does this as well is the new era of Doctor Who.

As mentioned above it was the first sci-fi to be shot on the 16:9 widescreen format and in many other ways was head of it's time. Although they may not look much now the special effects where cutting edge for it's era (just think how corny some of Star Wars effects appear today). I think that critizisiums that it is a Star Trek want to be are unfair. It was produced in the early 1990's and while episodes can be enjoyed seperately they really come into their own over the five year arch of the underlying story.
  • Best SciFi show ever!

Babylon 5 is the most intelligent and groundbreaking show I have ever seen in my life. Nothing else on television offers the same scope and quality of thought. I recommend this show to any fan of science fiction. Non-genre fans will likely not have the endurance to make it through due to its complexity, but we don't care about them. If you love SciFi though, you owe it to yourself to check B5 out. The first season is a bit sluggish, but it immediately picks up in season 2 and does not let go. On future viewings, episodes that you had previously thought were unimportant will suddenly become more interesting to you as well. Remember, this is a show meant to resemble a novel. There is a clearly defined beginning, middle and end. It will not disappoint!
  • Hmmmphhh... more space scifi, and this one doesn't even do anything great.

This has to be one of the least liked shows on my favorites list. I don't exactly hate it, but I like it the least of them all, you follow me? I stopped watching this right after the first few episodes of the first season... some people have told me repeatedly that the show gets better after that, but to be honest I cant sit through Babylon 5 for that long just to enjoy something mediocre. The acting, right from the start, of the aliens and the humans was so "similar" and over the top that you'd thing the same hyperactive guy was playing them all. They could've done a whole lot better.
  • This show set some high standards to Sci-Fi shows to follow.

This was one of my favorite shows when I was younger. Most everyone on the show were unknown actors at first, but they were all great. This show has some of the best storylines and great acting. Even the special effects were good. The writers were very consistent with the timing of things in the show. I loved the way the characters interacted with each other. It was funny and suspenseful at the same time. I miss seeing this show. I can't even find anyone showing re-runs. This show was in a class by itself. Hope to get some of the DVD sets someday.
  • Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations.

I have never been a Sci-Fi fan until I came across Babylon 5 years ago. This lead me to all the other genre shows I am watching today.

Babylon 5 is a monumental show, its idea envision and executed with brilliance by its creator JMS.
    Its story arc spans all five seasons and it was more or less executed the way it was intended to.

The first season is the weakest of it, very cheesy and sometimes hard to get through (especially if you have never seen it before), but nonetheless has some important hints and foreshadowing of what is to come in later seasons. Nothing is a coincidence.

The cast is mostly great, the best being Peter Jurassik and Andreas Katsulas. But I also like Mira Furlan's Delenn.
    Today the special effects may look cheesy and oudated, but when the show was first shown it was new to use this kind of CGI.

Anyone who likes Sci-Fi should have seen this show.