Babylon 5

Severed Dreams (3)

Aired Monday 7:00 PM Apr 04, 1996 on

• JMS is one of my gods...

I have just watched this episode again today, for about the fifteenth time, at least. This one, along with Messages From Earth, and Point of No Return make up three of the most powerful episodes of television that I have ever seen. In these three episodes, the entire focus of a series changes and moves to a new level of intensity.

The first two seasons were mainly setup - of location, background, character development - the mythology, if you will. With this trilogy, so many of the previous hints and clues become clear and I found myself sitting there, transfixed, the first time I saw it. It still has that effect on me, and I know what's coming. There are two more episodes this season that are also supremely powerful - War Without End Pts 1 & 2 - they also had many revelations and more questions for further along the line.

This episode is heartrending and heartwarming at the same time - you see John lose his faith in Earthforce and all that EarthGov stands for, yet at the same time, you see a major leap forward in the relationship between John and Delenn. You also see how much of an effect he has had on Babylon 5 in the time he has been there in the response to his actions by the residents of the station.

The music, as always is fantastic - Christopher Franke did a marvelous job from day one in scoring this show. That was one thing I didn't like about Crusade - I always thought that for some small level of continuity they should have kept his music for the show.

As you can tell, I love this show - I honestly don't think I've seen it's equal on television since it ended. I think I might have to go watch some more of my DVD's... :)