Babylon 5

Sleeping in Light

Aired Monday 7:00 PM Nov 25, 1998 on

• Sleeping in Light

Sleeping in Light was the perfect ending the one of the best Sci-Fi series of all time. I really enjoyed this episode because it really wrapped the series up giving viewers a look twenty years into the future of the show to see how it all ends as Sheridan is near his time. It was really cool to see all the old friends come back, though we missed Londo, G'Kar, and Lennier. It was awesome to see what each of the characters had become and I liked how they all came together. This episode was very moving and touching as Sheridan moved on after seeing a familiar face. It was really sad to see the decommissioning of Babylon 5. This is one of my favorite shows. I look forward to watching the movies!!!!!!!
  • Fantastic. Just fantastic.

A sad episode from start to finish. Jeez, but they just took the point of "hey it's 20 years later, Sheridan's dying, everything's over" and just kept poking it and poking it. It was a bit cruel actually. You need a little break from time to time. One scene, something, but no, this episode was relentless. I was sobbing like a baby for most of it. *sigh* OK, I love the fact they brought Ivanova back. They had to. It would have been weird if they didn't. I always thought it was one of the flaws of Charmed that they couldn't get Shannen Doherty to do a cameo. It kinda broke the 4th wall of the show. The characters loved and missed their sister, she was referred to onscreen several times after she was gone, but the actresses couldn't stand each other, she was never brought back, and the story on screen suffered. I know that they cheated a bit, since this episode was filmed at the end of season 4 when Claudia Christian was around, but they could have refilmed it when she left, and they didn't, which I'm grateful for. And I love the concept of Emperor Vir. He's got power, he gets the perks (women) thereof, but you still see that he hasn't changed much from who he was. And I love that when they decommissioned Babylon 5 he gave his little wave before leaving. I liked the CGI of all the ships lined up outside at the end, and wow, the explosion of the station was incredible. Another sharp jab to the soft emotional spot, but still very cool and appropriate, along with the music that went along with it. Fantastic.
  • The best series finale I have ever seen...

I really cannot watch this episode without crying. Not only does Sheridan have to die and say goodbye to his friends and everyone he loved, but Babylon 5 itself gets decomissioned and blown up. Just the fact that so much had happened there, and it meant so much to so many people, always brings a tear to my eye. I also think that the score in this episode is the best in the series - the music is so emotive.
    My favourite moments have to be when John and Delenn are saying goodbye and when Garibaldi picks up something from the shelf just before they leave Babylon 5 for the last time; it shows so well how he still wants to remember the place, even after everything that has happened.
    It's so fitting that the creator of the show should be the one to turn off the power on the station, a truly beautiful end to a spectacular series.
  • a good series finale that will bring a tear to your eye

this is the final episode of the long running babylon 5 series. Over the series we have grown attached to the characters and in this episode, we find out what has happened to some of our favorites.

*spoilers*

Sheridan and his 20 years are coming to an end, so he invites General Ivanova, Emperor Vir Cotto, Micheal garibaldi, Zack Allan and Stpehen Franklin to a final party. in the 20 years since the last episode, Zack Allan has transfered from babylon 5, found out he doesn't like the work and gets transfered back this is why he is not present at the party for the ranger sent could not find him.

Sheridan wants to see the sun come up, in all his years on minbar he has never done that, He sits on a bench outisde with dellen and watches it coming up, a beautiful site. At the party they reminise about old times and dead friends

"to old friends, in memory still bright"
    "Londo, G'kar, Lennier, Marcus"

After the party There is a particular tear bringing seen between sheridan and dellen when they both know that he is going to die and that they will only see each other again
    "in the place where no shadows' fall"
    Sheridan embraces dellen and they say one of my favorite lines in the entire series
    "goodnight my love, the brightest star in my sky."
    "goodnight,you were my sky, and my moon, and my stars"
    he then leaves in a new whitestar to go to babylon 5 where he meats with Zack Allan, after this he returns to
    the coriana system where they won the Shadow War. here he meats with Lorien to be taken beyond the rim into
    "whatever lies between galaxies"

all in all a magnificant episode which had me in tears
  • The final goodbyeee

7.6
    Sheridan`s about to kick the bucket so he holds a small party

The ex president of the Interstellar Alliance is dieing.
    John Sheridan is having premonitions/dreams about lorien and his experiences on Z`Ha`Dum.
    Garibaldi and stephen are (coincidentally)both on mars when they have a ranger at the door.
    A ranger also fights his way into General Ivanova`s office to tell her the news.
    The party consists of lots of retelling of old stories between the friends with deelen looking on sadley.
    Gkar ,londo ,Marcus & lennier.
    Sheridan leaves early in the morning before his guest are awake he says good bye to his wife and leaves without looking back.
    At babylon 5 the place is deserted and about to be decomissioned, zack is still running security .They talk ,but sheridan cant stay,he has to get to the coriana system before he pops.
    When he arrives Lorien appears and prepares to take him with him beyond the rim.A light grows brighter on the bridge and the ship is now empty.
    Ivanova tells us the ship was found days later with all airlocks and escape pods intact.
    We see the surviving crew leaving b5 as the station is set to self destruct.
    Which it does in truly spectacular fashion.

A real tear jerker of an episode
  • the place was meant for peace.it become an era. this was the story of babylon 5.

i have all 54 volumes of b5 on video and i must say that from volumes 46-54 i only watch them 3 times. i cant bear to watch them because i know that it means that its ending. so i watch the final one 54 last night and did i need a box of tissues. sherdian is dying and his last wish is to see his old friends one last time. a ranger arrives on earth to give general ivanova her letter, and on mars steven and michael get theres. on centural prime vir recives his. they sit and eat and drink a toast to there old friends. londo, lenner, gkar and susan and steven toast marcus, did i get a lump in my throat in that scene. after that sherdian returns to b5 to say goodbye. there is zac is on the station. the rest of them return as well. we see them leave together and then a worker shuts down the station and everyone leaves. we see b5 blow up.
  • Never fails to make me sniffle. *contains spoilers*

The final episode of babylon 5 is nothing if not emotional. Not only is there the end of Sheridan, and some very emotional moments between him and Delenn, but there's also a scene where the remaining cast toast to 'absent friends'.

With a couple of simple words; Marcus, Lennier, Londo, G'Kar... I get a lump in my throat every time.

A very nice touch was Sheridan's return to Babylon 5, while it was being prepared for the decommissioning ceremony, and seeing Zach there. (Zack had commented in an earlier episode: 'I'll probably still be here when they turn off the lights')

All in all an excellent episode, and the very best conclusion to a series I have ever seen.
  • One of the best serie ending ever!

Sleeping in Light gives Babylon 5 a worthy end. The serie was one of the best because of the story and the red thread over all 5 seasons.

This episode plays 20 years after the death of Sheridan on Z'ha'dum and takes all the changes we know out of the movies and some episodes in account. Everything fits together what is another good example for the brilliant mind behind the script.

At the end nothing is how it was in the serie and how we all got to love it. The main characters all have a new live and as the station gets decommissioned the writter gives the viewer the chance to say goodbye to 5 great seasons and there main characters.

Let this episode be an example for other script writters!
  • Sheridan`s number is up so he holds a little party and then heads to babylon 5 before he dies.

The ex president of ISA is dieing.
    John Sheridan is having strange dreams about lorien and his experiences on Z`Ha`Dum.He orders the invitations to be sent.
    Garibaldi and stephen are both on mars when thier daughter tells them they have a ranger at the door.
    Gkar ,londo ,Marcus & lennier.
    At babylon 5 the place is deserted and about to be decomissioned,fortunatley zack is still there running security .They talk ,but sheridan cant stay,he has to get to the coriana system before he fades.
    We see the surviving crew leaving b5 as the station is set to self destruct.
    Which it does in spectacular fashion.

A real tear jerker of an episode
    Our hero ,sheridan ,finally dies not in battle or defending the innocent but alone and in space.
    Now thats sad

The ex president of ISA is dieing.
    We see the surviving crew leaving b5 as the station is set to self destruct.
    Which it does in spectacular fashion.

Now thats sad
  • 20 years after the Shadow War, Sheridan's time is almost over. It's time to gather the crew of Babylon 5 one last time. Babylon 5 is fated for a similar end, this is the end of five year journey.

The end of the journey. It took five years to get to this one episode. To see how far they've all come. It's a bittersweet ending. But it gives the fans a sense of satisfaction. Babylon 5 maybe gone, but the fans will always keep it alive.
    The only questions I have about the episode, is what would have happened if Michael O'Hare had stayed on the project.
  • I'm thinking of the Door song "This is the End...." The best part about this episode is Delenn (Mira Furlan) as she sits and watches the sunrise.

Bruce Boxleitner and Mira Furlan are spectacular in this "real" final episode.
    I'm writing this in 2006 after recently re-watching it (thanks Netflix). And pretty much all of the episodes I've watched haven't been as good as I remembered them. Now let me say that I think I put the show on a pretty high pedestal. Still most of the stories are still great. But, I think just like the original Star Trek. This show is becoming dated. When I watched people walk down hallways on this show I just think "set" "another set" "set". It just seems hokey in places. Still the acting is great. Mira Furlan (who recently has been beautiful in her recurring part on Lost) is brilliant in the sunrise sequences. The other thing that hurts this episode is the lack of G'kar and Londo (Katsulas and Jurasik). Yes the story line had them both out of commission but they should've found a way to create a scene for them. Still a great episode for the two leads.
    A fitting end to the program.
  • This episode is one of the greatest conclusion for any series I have ever seen.

The most memorable conclusion of any last episode I have personally ever seen. It truely shows why this series was so great, and why it had 5 tv movies, and a sequal. The most memorable part of this episode is the part where by it shows Delenn showing how long she really did live.